CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
SwampFox
cockyguitar
MaxQAg
RockRocks787
yazoo
The Yancey
Elcid99 (2812)
PSU drops a prospect (1649)
Bad movies that are (856)
Mizzou WR suspended (686)
John Abraham DUI (589)
Best Offensive " (466)
I was there, when (422)
Rokevious Watkins cu (415)
Re-Airing South Caro (374)
Travelle Warton reti (325)
Clemson, Auburn home and
An Aggies View of the Mat
Shaw Interview: SB Nation
Green and Lammons
Clemson Recruiting...how
Official SEC Network and
Elcid99
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
2015 Commitment - A.J. Tu

View Poll Results: Honor the University Legends with a Patch Like Michigan Does?
I would like to see this 41 42.71%
No 43 44.79%
No Opinion 12 12.50%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #21
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Do NOT Retire #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCock91 View Post
Don't like the patch idea too much.

What would be a better idea is retiring jerseys. Find a place in the stadium to hang up replica jerseys with the players name on it, but the number stays available. Kinda like UNC does for basketball.
This is a good idea too. Although, UNC does have retired numbers. I do like the idea of retiring the absolute greatest players and honoring other greats.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 200
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

from another thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
If you retire the 21, you will kill some young kids dream of someday playing for the Gamecocks and wearing the same number that the GREAT Marcus Lattimore wore......

I wouldn't deprive any kid of that dream!

I do hope however, that perhaps we could not use it again until the right player comes along....... I would love to see another High School All-American wear the #21!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #23
CockyHoskins
Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyCash: 100500
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CockyHoskins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
No opinion for me.
Marcus was an outstanding individual without a doubt, but his total
numbers were cut short by the injuries, and to me, to have a jersy
retired would mean having set some lofty numbers on the way to
breaking some lofty numbers by other players.
I agree with this 100%. Granted I know we are all a little sentimental about #21 moving on, but his on the field play does not warrant retiring his number IMO.

That being said, I do like the patch idea. I don't want to copy it, but I do like it. Could you imagine wearing the #38 and having a patch with Big George's name on it? Your goal would be to replace his name with yours on the patch! Very cool idea!

Invading stores now!!

CockyHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

Since the university is redoing the area surronding Williams-Brice, I would like to see an area honoring our best players somewhere outside the stadium. A plaque detailing their accomplishments would be nice, but no to retiring jerseys.
scfanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #25
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Quote:
.He was
absolutely right. He will forever and always be a Gamecock.
I will add, that Marcus will NEVER leave...... cause wherever he goes, he will be taking all of us with him!

Can you imagine what Marcus could have done here IF he played 4 healthy years! No doubt he would have won the Heisman!

I don't know what the highest award that can be given to a student or an athlete is...... but it should be given to Marcus in DUPLICATES!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
gsgp
Blue Chip

Male

gsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talonsgsgp has developed his gaff and talons

Yeah let's rock that NASCAR look on jerseys ..NOT . Marcus is so different then just a GREAT Football player . How many like him will we see really??? This young man helped to turn an average program around not another in a line of above avarage like at other SEC schools. His passion off the field to help others his humble actions all very special.
gsgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 PM   #27
4Ever2Thee
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2940
4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit4Ever2Thee rules the CockPit

No, jersey's should be retired if they are deserving
4Ever2Thee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #28
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
from another thread.....
How would you determine who the "right player" is? I don't think you can really determine who is "worthy" enough to wear the number just based on high school.

If the number isn't retired, it should be available for the next player that wants it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #29
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGEGARNETCOCK View Post
IMO it's rather tacky! And kids like "their #" They don't come to these programs to live in a shadow , they want to make a name for themselves!

Well to that end, if we see another runningback at South Carolina wearing #21, we may still think about Marcus Lattimore.

He will have a lot to live up to on and off the field even if the only thing on the jersey is a 2 and a 1.

Not every jersey would have a patch.

I think you would have to restrict it to your once in a generation player, a player that wins a Heisman trophy or a player who would otherwise have his number retired.

The patch would also be one the jersey of the player who also plays the same position as the "Legend"

so at this point, AFTER 100+ YEARS, you would have:

#2 - Wide Receiver

#38 - Running Back

#56 - Center

#37 - Running Back

#7 - Defensive End

#21 - Running Back

That is six patches out of 22 starters.

Even then, would you really have those numbered players all playing those same positions in the same seasons?

Highly unlikely.

Now with all this being same, If we get to a point where we have teams of "once in a generation, Heisman worthy, jersey retriement worthy" players all on the same team and all playing the same position as former legends, then I do not care if we look like a field full of boxcar hobos. That team will go undefeated for four full years if that happens.

And it will be so far into the future that my grandkids' grandkids will not be around to see it.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #30
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

No patches please.

When guys are playing for us, I don't want them on the field being reminded of others they probably have never met from the past. When they are on the field, they are writing their own part of our history...not living in someone else's.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:40 PM   #31
CaptainCock91
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
This is a good idea too. Although, UNC does have retired numbers. I do like the idea of retiring the absolute greatest players and honoring other greats.
Right, they have 8 retired, and 49 (including retired #s) that are honored. So that means 41 that are honored, but not retired.

I think it's a great idea to honor some of the great players who have made an impact by having their name and number up in the stadium. Players like:

Lattimore #21
McKinley #11
Boyd #3
Rice #4
Ingram #6
Clowney #7
Jeffery #1
Brinkley #52
Newton #13

Not all of them hold records, but they had an impact on the game, and they deserve to be honored in some way.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #32
ReCOCKulous
Master Debater

Male

ReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot material

If you had a bunch of guys who were all greats wearing the same number, you could still do one patch. Just put all their names on it. Or names down the sleeve. You wouldn't need a patch for every great who wore that number.
ReCOCKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #33
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

DO IT, DONT DO IT, NO DO IT, NO DONT DO IT...MUST REFRAIN FROM RETIREMENT THREADS... LOVE TO CLICK ON EACH TOOO MUCH..NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooo

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #34
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCock91 View Post
Right, they have 8 retired, and 49 (including retired #s) that are honored. So that means 41 that are honored, but not retired.

I think it's a great idea to honor some of the great players who have made an impact by having their name and number up in the stadium. Players like:

Lattimore #21
McKinley #11
Boyd #3
Rice #4
Ingram #6
Clowney #7
Jeffery #1
Brinkley #52
Newton #13

Not all of them hold records, but they had an impact on the game, and they deserve to be honored in some way.
sorry Boyd, Brinkley, Newton, and probably Mckinley don't need to be honored. yes they were good players, but not the greatest, those worth putting on a jersey, there is a long list of players just as impactful if not more impactful on USC football.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 AM   #35
Erik
Banned

Male

Erik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPitErik rules the CockPit

Quote:
No opinion for me.
Marcus was an outstanding individual without a doubt, but his total
numbers were cut short by the injuries, and to me, to have a jersy
retired would mean having set some lofty numbers on the way to
breaking some lofty numbers by other players.
That's what I was thinking. 3 years, and half of that was spent injured.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #36
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
sorry Boyd, Brinkley, Newton, and probably Mckinley don't need to be honored. yes they were good players, but not the greatest, those worth putting on a jersey, there is a long list of players just as impactful if not more impactful on USC football.
McKinley should definitely be honored. Left USC as the career leader in number of receptions and receiving yards (since broken by Jeffery) and third in career touchdown receptions. Rewriting the record books should definitely get you honored.

Boyd and Brinkley probably not. I would replace Brinkley with Norwood. His impact on the program was huge. And he left school as the career leader in sacks and TFL.

Newton is debatable. Just from a numbers perspective, they are so spread out because of playing 3 positions while here.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #37
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Glad to see people are so adamantly against this.

See the sarcasm there
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote