CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
Gamecocks1137
JerseyBird
thumpin big
Regalcock
smoovecock
b381l
markymark550
The Yancey
johnnyb
Constant Updates on (3745)
Brad Lawing (1783)
Garcia vs Clemson To (1310)
How cool would it be (1183)
Carolina/Clemson gam (1001)
Palmetto Bowl (908)
Chattanooga upends N (804)
NEW Pics from South (502)
Where to watch in Ar (362)
Greenville for the C (273)
Coaching Carousel 2014/15
Bowl projections
**USC vs. UNC-Asheville G
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
Where to watch in Arlingt
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Strategy First Steam bund
Greenville for the Clemso
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Constant Updates on Watso

Old 12-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Large Size Running Back

Yeah someone who is 5-8, 5-9, 5-10 and 200-210 lbs may be just as tough to tackle as someone 6-2, 230. They could be as strong (or stronger), with powerful legs and a lower center of gravity. All sorts of tangibles factor into it....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Hill is the guy who ran all over us and he's listed at 225. Brandon Wilds was listed at 223 as a FR. Both are 6'2".
220-225 is plenty big enough to run over most LBs and DBs.
LSU officially lists him at 235:

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle...&Q_SEASON=2012
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

I wouldn't mind locating Saben's running back stash...It amazes me how he manages to find all these guys that are built and can run like Ingram and Richardson and he seems to just replace them every year with no drop off. Granted running behind the line they have every year certainly helps
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
OLDCHARLESTONIAN
African Tater Game Hunter

Male

CockyCash: 200
OLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Pride View Post
I wouldn't mind locating Saben's running back stash...It amazes me how he manages to find all these guys that are built and can run like Ingram and Richardson and he seems to just replace them every year with no drop off. Granted running behind the line they have every year certainly helps
That's the kind of back Saban wants and recruits. Plus he's at Bama, which guarantees that top backs will look at the school hard.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 997672
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

We need a big bruising line for a big bruising back to succeed. Put Bama's backs behind our OL and they suddenly look average. Our OL is built more for quicker backs or misdirection / zone read type running.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #26
dieselcock
Blue Chip

Male

dieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming indieselcock has feathers coming in

Not a TB,but I'd love to see Rainey in a DiMarco type role...we've missed that out of the backfield. I'd love to see some more 2 back sets also..
Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileytm View Post
Kendrick Salley can be that guy after another year or two in the weight room. He is wider than Wilds or Davis.

If we get Williams in the fold this year, we will have an absolute stable of RB in 2 years. Davis, Wilds, Salley, Smith and Williams all can make some noise.
But Salley is only 5'9" or 10". I would doubt he ever gets bigger than 215.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #28
Glamcock
Recruit

Male

Glamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileytm View Post
Kendrick Salley can be that guy after another year or two in the weight room. He is wider than Wilds or Davis.

If we get Williams in the fold this year, we will have an absolute stable of RB in 2 years. Davis, Wilds, Salley, Smith and Williams all can make some noise.
This. I've seen Salley in person, and he is quite a bit bigger than Wilds. Dude has huge shoulders, and a big frame. He's kind of scary looking.

Salley is also at least 5'11". He probably weighs 220-225.

Last edited by Glamcock; 12-12-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: addition
Glamcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #29
dreammachine
Starter

Male

dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Some great posts here concerning USC having a larger running back. I think what I am suggesting is having a specialty RB who would be a little larger for certain situations. Granted you will give up some speed, but what you get in "ocean in motion" would tend to make up for the loss of speed in certain situations. Andrew Pinnock would never win a foot race with anybody when we had him, but my goodness trying to tackle him was a chore. I also agree that these type RB just don't grow on trees and if there is one then everybody is trying to recruit them. That being said, you can always convert a player into a situational RB for those plays. We do it all the time with receivers, linebackers, and sometimes we take a RB and let him be a D-Lineman. I think that Melvin Ingram was a FB in high school as well as a LB. I think that Kenny Miles did not play RB until he was a senior in high school, before that he was a LB. It can be done, I just don't know if our coaching staff with the way they run our offense would ever consider doing something like this?
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i understand what you mean. tennessee brought in their lb ex high school qb for direct snaps in short yardage. oklahoma has a huge qb they bring in during short yardage. then there are teams with a jumbo package that may have a combo fb that they can put at tb and have a fb or te lead block for him in the I formation.

we theoretically could have done something similar with qua gilchrist, but it becomes a question of do you want to try that or run it with lattimore instead. its something that may or may not work, but it also may be an option if you want to limit your starter's carries.

odds are our coaches would only go to something like this as a last resort. personally i think guys like lattimore, wilds and even davis give you that perfect balance of power and ability to make something on their own in short yardage especially with a line that doesnt always get a lot of movement.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:24 PM   #31
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

There is some RB from Florida, a junior I think, that has committed to Alabama supposed to be bigger than Lachy. Like 6'3,260 or something crazy like that. Anyone know who that is or am I wrong?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #32
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

I wish we would've been able to get the RB that played at Goose Creek last year. Can't remember his name, but he was a big guy...maybe 5'11", 250 lbs. At one time he was going to JUCO, then SC State, but I didn't recognize his name looking at the roster.

I think there's value with having a sledgehammer RB like a Pinnock, particularly in short yardage. SEC defenses in particular are so big, sometimes you may need a big guy to move the pile.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #33
mike1520
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000
mike1520 is sharpening his clawsmike1520 is sharpening his clawsmike1520 is sharpening his clawsmike1520 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
I wish we would've been able to get the RB that played at Goose Creek last year. Can't remember his name, but he was a big guy...maybe 5'11", 250 lbs. At one time he was going to JUCO, then SC State, but I didn't recognize his name looking at the roster.

I think there's value with having a sledgehammer RB like a Pinnock, particularly in short yardage. SEC defenses in particular are so big, sometimes you may need a big guy to move the pile.
Virgil Smalls
mike1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #34
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1520 View Post
Virgil Smalls
Exactly. I remember nobody could tackle the guy last year, except maybe his brother Brandon Shell. Didn't he end up at SC State. Is there any chance after 2 years, he could get into Carolina.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #35
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudlyLakeMonticelloCock is crowing loudly

About 6-7 years ago Midland Valley had two RBs over 250. They weren't all that great, but it was impressive to see a HS rotate in two huge backs like that.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #36
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
One thing I've noticed with Alabama RBs is that their S&C program really gets those guys built up, going back to before Ingram, with Glen Coffee. Huge arms and upper bodies. It makes them look even bigger than they are....
Yeah, their staff tends to provide only the best "supplements" for their players
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #37
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1520 View Post
Virgil Smalls
He was going to be fullback if I remember correctly
Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #38
Wiz Khalifa
Blue Chip

Male

Wiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudlyWiz Khalifa is crowing loudly

i want B.Wilds up to 225 to 230. dude would be a bruiser!