CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
kingofnerf
4Runner
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
QCB
Storm Of Spurs
CBS: SOS to Florida? (2916)
Juco QBs? (1002)
SDS grades the Furma (840)
we can STILL win the (772)
ND vs FSU Ending (742)
Auburn/USC point spr (622)
Whenever I Get Depre (611)
How do you want Aubu (441)
If the Head Ball Coa (410)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (268)
Auburn/USC point spread
How do you want Auburn to
CBS: SOS to Florida?
Peyton Manning breaks Bre
Nick Saban on frustration
Williams and Mitch
Cann tipping plays?
If the Head Ball Coach re
well I'll be damned...Tex
SDS grades the Furman gam

Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #21
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw vs Manziel....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
I agree...he can be...timid...for lack of a better word...with the ball...while i would like for him to take more chances down field...i am happy to have a QB like him finally! FAR BETTER than having one that throws double digit interceptions for a season! TO's kill teams...and we have a QB now that don't allow many TO's
He also has Spurrier to answer to. The point I was trying to make was....a healty Shaw could make as big or a bigger impact next year. He is a relentless worker and a student of the game. I wouldn't trade him for Manziel based on what aI know about Shaw.
I do not see through garnet colored glasses....I base it on my own personal knowledge. Doesn't make me wrong or right.....not now anyway.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #22
Percy Jackson
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Percy Jackson has feathers coming inPercy Jackson has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
He also has Spurrier to answer to. The point I was trying to make was....a healty Shaw could make as big or a bigger impact next year. He is a relentless worker and a student of the game. I wouldn't trade him for Manziel based on what aI know about Shaw.
I do not see through garnet colored glasses....I base it on my own personal knowledge. Doesn't make me wrong or right.....not now anyway.
Good grief. With Manziel, we're probably in the BCS NC game and TAMU with Shaw is a 4 loss team.
Percy Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #23
Mr. Burns
No Soul

Male

CockyCash: 447110
Mr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot material

Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #24
superfly
Game MVP

Male

superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percy Jackson View Post
Good grief. With Manziel, we're probably in the BCS NC game and TAMU with Shaw is a 4 loss team.
Based on what he did this year. MAYBE....BUT....Southern Cal was supose to win the NC based on Barkleyvl returning. How did that work out?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
20/20 vision spare...no contacts needed...
what would you think i need them for?
Well you are looking for them in your avatar
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #26
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

For Shaw to make a bigger impact, he is going to have to make intermediate and big plays down the field. That is the only element missing from our offense when he is in the game. Even the most diehard Shaw fan has to admit that the most noticable difference between the offense when Thompson is in as opposed to Shaw is that the intermediate parts of the field (especially between the hashes) opens up, and also the ball is out as soon as the back foot is planted.

If Shaw can just improve on getting the ball out when he plants, we'd see a noticeable difference in our offense.

I'm anxious to see the bowl game because it is being said that he will be as close to 100% as he has been since Vandy. If that is the case, hopefully he starts turning it loose.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Quote:
FAR BETTER than having one that throws double digit interceptions for a season!
If Shaw would have played the whole season he would have more than likely ended up with double-digit ints...He had 7 and missed 3+ games.

I like Shaw's skillset a lot, but he's a poor man's Manziel, and that's his ceiling. He's not talented enough to put up a season comparable in stats to Manziel's 2012.
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #28
superfly
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
For Shaw to make a bigger impact, he is going to have to make intermediate and big plays down the field. That is the only element missing from our offense when he is in the game. Even the most diehard Shaw fan has to admit that the most noticable difference between the offense when Thompson is in as opposed to Shaw is that the intermediate parts of the field (especially between the hashes) opens up, and also the ball is out as soon as the back foot is planted.

If Shaw can just improve on getting the ball out when he plants, we'd see a noticeable difference in our offense.

I'm anxious to see the bowl game because it is being said that he will be as close to 100% as he has been since Vandy. If that is the case, hopefully he starts turning it loose.
I concor with your assessment but Spurrier calls the plays. I imagine with Shaws shoulder that he limited those opportunities on a game to game call..
Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Well you are looking for them in your avatar
HAHAHAHA
I hope you are being sarcastic but it's hard to tell through a message board....but if you weren't...my wife and i had our engagement pictures taken at Willie B and i am kissing the ground

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #30
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material

Also Manziel is a freshman, which makes him even more amazing. A frosh going on the road and beating Alabama, if he were my QB, would leave me to believe we could win the NC with him at the helm. I don't have that same feeling with Shaw and he has almost completed his junior season.

Shaw is not in his league. An earlier poster summed Shaw perfectly, he's a conservative manager.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #31
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

connor will probably finish his career here with a 26-6 record as a starter but wont get the credit he deserves because everyone will say its because of the defense and other weapons around him.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #32
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Manziel is gonna be bigger than Tebow
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #33
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
connor will probably finish his career here with a 26-6 record as a starter but wont get the credit he deserves because everyone will say its because of the defense and other weapons around him.
That's the truth though.

His job isn't to win games...it's not to lose them.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #34
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Right now I would trade Shaw and Thompson for Manziel in a second.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #35
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Would everyone be wrong?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #36
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

I've beaten up on the guy this year but I think he has a chance to bump up is production once he gets healthy.

I've heard, and this is just a rumor, that he partially tore his labrum in June. This was before the season started but it always made me wonder.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #37
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Manziel is gonna be bigger than Tebow
He better start lifting.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #38
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Would everyone be wrong?
well, most qbs who would finish their careers with a 26-6 hypothetical record usually have a great defense and weapons surrounding them.

On another note, this university really has been pretty much a .500 team in its history and is realizing success on a level many people never thought possible. I never thought i would see a Carolina fan base discount a qb with that good of a hypothetical record. Thats all..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #39
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PageUSC View Post
Not even close. Manziel is on a another level talent wise than Shaw.

Sit back take a deep breath and take your Garnet Glasses off.
Or it could be that Manziel had a better offensive line that we did. Next year will tell the tale on that.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #40
superfly
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
well, most qbs who would finish their careers with a 26-6 hypothetical record usually have a great defense and weapons surrounding them.

On another note, this university really has been pretty much a .500 team in its history and is realizing success on a level many people never thought possible. I never thought i would see a Carolina fan base grow so cold over a guy with that good of a hypothetical record. Thats all..
During the 0-11 season he would have been viewed as the future second coming. Things have certainly changed. For the better !