CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
WeStill0wnUSC
Talon1
ReadR00ster
NineInchSpurs
catdaddy66
18IsTheMan
cocksmith1or11
garnet_black215
GamecockSuperFan
henmania
Tired of night games (2126)
Luginbill says ECU s (1879)
Well, as it turns ou (1480)
Next years RB situat (1453)
Coach Elliott pregam (1373)
What the heck is up (1354)
Been a pleasure talk (1083)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (914)
ECU fan here (792)
Verne lundquist (741)
Well, as it turns out, we
Freaky Coincidence or Div
Davis dinged up again?
Rabbit package?
Shon Carson
Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky
ECU fan here
Luginbill says ECU should
Quarles is a Colt!
What the heck is up with

Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #21
uga dawg
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly
Default Re: 2013 Heisman and Clowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
He is a good QB...but he is not great or elite
not saying he's a tom brady, but he's pretty dang good. he's the only QB in SEC HISTORY, to have 3 consecutive 3,000 yard plus passing seasons. also, is 2nd all time in SEC history in touchdown passes, surpassing peyton manning this year. thats pretty dang good.

I know some will say those stats come from big numbers vs the nobody teams throughout the year, but every other top 25 team has nobodys on their schedule spaced out as well. in those games, the other QB's have the opportunity to show big numbers too.

sorry to get off topic a little, but since it's being brought up throughout the thread, it had to be said.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #22
gagent2
Walk On

Male

gagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spursgagent2 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uga dawg View Post
Jarvis Jones had these numbers that you project would win it, and missed 2 games with injury this year, making it more impressive. still, not even close. I just really think that its going to be a long time before any defensive guy wins the thing again.
Did Georgia start a campaign for him for the Heisman? Without a big push from the school, it is virtually impossible for a kid to win this.
gagent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #23
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
not saying he's a tom brady, but he's pretty dang good. he's the only QB in SEC HISTORY, to have 3 consecutive 3,000 yard plus passing seasons. also, is 2nd all time in SEC history in touchdown passes, surpassing peyton manning this year. thats pretty dang good.

I know some will say those stats come from big numbers vs the nobody teams throughout the year, but every other top 25 team has nobodys on their schedule spaced out as well. in those games, the other QB's have the opportunity to show big numbers too.

sorry to get off topic a little, but since it's being brought up throughout the thread, it had to be said.
It's all about perspective to me. If you are trying to tell me Murray is an elite QB then I call BS.
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #24
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Quote:
It's all about perspective to me. If you are trying to tell me Murray is an elite QB then I call BS.
Yeah can't be an elite QB and crap the bed in your big games.
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #25
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockLurker View Post

Exactly
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #26
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

I think this year proved the Heisman will never go to a purely defensive player. The two most influential players were Clowney and Te'o on their respective teams. Manziel was good, don't get me wrong, but they lost two games, 1 at home, and generally speaking you don't do that and win the Heisman when there are viable alternatives. I wouldn't bag on Te'o too much for where he plays, the fact is the guy made everyone on his team better and was a fan favorite at his school. And they went undefeated with a schedule that wasn't a cakewalk. If that isn't Heisman worthy, then nothing is.

So the Heisman should just be the MOP on Offense, and we should consider an true award for the best player in college football to really be something they haven't come up with yet.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #27
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURRIER View Post
I want to go to Vegas and take that bet!
You can bet online.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #28
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I think this year proved the Heisman will never go to a purely defensive player. The two most influential players were Clowney and Te'o on their respective teams. Manziel was good, don't get me wrong, but they lost two games, 1 at home, and generally speaking you don't do that and win the Heisman when there are viable alternatives. I wouldn't bag on Te'o too much for where he plays, the fact is the guy made everyone on his team better and was a fan favorite at his school. And they went undefeated with a schedule that wasn't a cakewalk. If that isn't Heisman worthy, then nothing is.

So the Heisman should just be the MOP on Offense, and we should consider an true award for the best player in college football to really be something they haven't come up with yet.
RGIII had like 3 losses when he won it. I don't think the w/l thing can stop you from winning it if you have great stats...which Manziel did. But if you are a defensive player you probably need to be on a team playing for the NC. I agree though...if they aren't going to give it to a defensive player when they truly deserve it then they need to create a new award.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Tebow was 9-3 the year he won, too.
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #30
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

In both of those cases I think we are looking at a slightly different emphasis. There were no clearly better options, especially with Tebow in 2007. He had like, 36 passing and 23 rushing TD's I think.

RG3, that one I could see as you had Andrew Luck, but Stanford had 2 losses and it was a very close vote, basically coming down to the stats and the belief that Baylor without RG3 was a lot worse off than Stanford without Luck.

Either way, I get your points that losses don't equal everything, but this year more than any other was a perfect chance for a defensive player to get it, and yet we see Collin Klein with 60 first place votes. I think they should recognize what this award is and come up with two maybe, and offensive and defensive player. Otherwise we'll never see someone like Clowney, that demands double and occasional triple teams yet still produces, winning the award he deserves.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #31
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockLurker View Post
all loses dont fall on the qb. He only plays 1 position. I think he showed vs bama, that hes able to play in a big game. The boy moved the ball 80 yards in a little over a min at the end to give them a shot. The championship was on the line, final minute, and vs the top ranked d in the country. Thats about as big game as it gets, and he did his part
Old 12-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #32
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Quote:
all loses dont fall on the qb. He only plays 1 position. I think he showed vs bama, that hes able to play in a big game. The boy moved the ball 80 yards in a little over a min at the end to give them a shot. The championship was on the line, final minute, and vs the top ranked d in the country. Thats about as big game as it gets, and he did his part

He did his part? He threw a horrible pass and didn't even give his wr a chance to make a play. He had a 55% comp, 1 td and 1 int...not too impressive
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #33
uga dawg
Banned

Male

Quote:
He did his part? He threw a horrible pass and didn't even give his wr a chance to make a play. He had a 55% comp, 1 td and 1 int...not too impressive
pass was good, LB made a great play jumping to tip the ball. You believe what you want, dude. The kid is a good qb. He kept uga in the game, and did his part when it was go time. Ball should have been spiked. Thats what lost the game, and that wasnt his call.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #34
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Quote:
pass was good, LB made a great play jumping to tip the ball. You believe what you want, dude. The kid is a good qb. He kept uga in the game, and did his part when it was go time. Ball should have been spiked. Thats what lost the game, and that wasnt his call.
He had a chance to make a play and he didn't. End of story. I said he was a good qb...but he is not elite, or great, or a heisman contender. His signature win was an AWFUL performance against an even worse performance by a florida team that had played 2 top 10 teams in the 3 weeks leading up to that game. Sorry, you will never be able to convince me that Aaron Murray is an elite qb.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #35
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Well he crapped the bed with a few secs to go and forgot what a spike was.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote