CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
U-Dub Gamecock
smoovecock
markymark550
rosstheboss
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
robgusc76
GregoryHouse
CockTail
2014 Charleston Clas (2893)
The Defense (1860)
**USC Women vs. San (1855)
Women's soccer Sweet (1512)
Spurrier on Pharoah: (1209)
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,00 (1052)
USC/clemson spread (717)
In case no one saw.. (700)
injury report? (646)
Your favorite Greate (433)
What Are Your Win/Loss Ex
USC/clemson spread
A little late to the conv
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
**USC Women vs. San Diego
2014 Charleston Classic:
Odell Becham Catch
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Drew Owens missing?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #41
GamecockGirl23
Bowl MVP

Female

CockyCash: 1000000
GamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot materialGamecockGirl23 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw vs Manziel....

umm no, this thread is pretty comical though
Old 12-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #42
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Manziel is also working out of the most interesting iteration of the spread, unleashed to run as he sees fit to avoid pressure, Shaw is told to go for the first down marker, has a quality O-line and is throwing to several big receivers at any time, it's not as big a discrepancy as one might think between the two. The one thing that truly makes Manziel head and shoulders above Shaw, is confidence throwing the deep ball (Shaw can do it when he is healthy and you could tell all of his bad throws these year were because he was hesitant and second guessing) and of course Manziel's uncanny ability to throw the deep ball. Remember guys, Spurrier won the Heisman and coached a Heisman qb and said last year he thought Shaw could win it at some point during his career, if he doesn't injure himself next year, the O-line keeps the pressure off and our WRs perform as well as they can, I think we see an elite Shaw next year.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #43
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcook84 View Post
If Shaw would have played the whole season he would have more than likely ended up with double-digit ints...He had 7 and missed 3+ games.

I like Shaw's skillset a lot, but he's a poor man's Manziel, and that's his ceiling. He's not talented enough to put up a season comparable in stats to Manziel's 2012.
First he didn't miss 3+ games...he only missed 2...and if you want to go with the int's...we can do the same with his TD's. So you could add 3 more TD's and 2 more ints if you average it out of what he has done per game...according to who he played...but that would give him only 6 TD's less than Manziel and about the same int's...and that is playing pretty much all year injured. He hasn't got to play a whole season 100% yet...so who are you to say where his ceiling is?

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #44
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
Manziel is also working out of the most interesting iteration of the spread, unleashed to run as he sees fit to avoid pressure, Shaw is told to go for the first down marker, has a quality O-line and is throwing to several big receivers at any time, it's not as big a discrepancy as one might think between the two. The one thing that truly makes Manziel head and shoulders above Shaw, is confidence throwing the deep ball (Shaw can do it when he is healthy and you could tell all of his bad throws these year were because he was hesitant and second guessing) and of course Manziel's uncanny ability to throw the deep ball. Remember guys, Spurrier won the Heisman and coached a Heisman qb and said last year he thought Shaw could win it at some point during his career, if he doesn't injure himself next year, the O-line keeps the pressure off and our WRs perform as well as they can, I think we see an elite Shaw next year.
^^Though I do base this over what I've seen from film with cutting, running and throwing mechanics, Manziel doesn't have to wait as long for WRs to get open because there are more on the field, when he scrambles out of the pocket his O-linemen pick up the second blocks to stop pursuing defenders (which helps running east-west), he has more time for his WR's to get open with all of this together, and they don't take as long to do so, you have to consider everything that goes into stats.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #45
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
That's the truth though.

His job isn't to win games...it's not to lose them.
Connor has a led a handful of 4th qtr drives and has contributed to a number of wins. If anyone can't see that they need to watch more games without hater goggles on

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #46
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
Connor has a led a handful of 4th qtr drives and has contributed to a number of wins. If anyone can't see that they need to watch more games without hater goggles on
I do my best not to wear them while watching games...inevitably it happens at times, though. But over the past two seasons, I'd give much more credit to coaching and defense than to Connor Shaw.

Time will tell where Shaw's ceiling is. In my opinion it's nowhere in the vacinity of Manziel's.

And Dylan Thompson saw significant playing time in 4 games (CU, UF, UAB, ECU). I don't recall every second of those games, but I'm pretty sure that he and Shaw weren't on the field at the same time. Yes, Shaw completely missed only 2 games, but the cumulative amount of time he missed over the season was at least 3 full games. I mean Thompson threw 117 passes this past season...so I think the 3 game estimation is actually generous.
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #47
superfly
Game MVP

Male

superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
I do my best not to wear them while watching games...inevitably it happens at times, though. But over the past two seasons, I'd give much more credit to coaching and defense than to Connor Shaw.

Time will tell where Shaw's ceiling is. In my opinion it's nowhere in the vacinity of Manziel's.

And Dylan Thompson saw significant playing time in 4 games (CU, UF, UAB, ECU). I don't recall every second of those games, but I'm pretty sure that he and Shaw weren't on the field at the same time. Yes, Shaw completely missed only 2 games, but the cumulative amount of time he missed over the season was at least 3 full games. I mean Thompson threw 117 passes this past season...so I think the 3 game estimation is actually generous.
The whole point is that Shaw played injured ALL season even missing 2 games. He wasn't 100 % for ANY game this season. He still came out and did what he had to, to win. I said ...at 100 %, I think Shaw could be as good, if not better. The only thing that will prove me wrong is for him to have a healthy year and see how it plays out. His work ethic is without question and I would love to hear Spurriers take on the two. We have NOT seen a healthy Shaw under center for a game last year....much less the whole season.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #48
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

The real question is how would either do in the others system? What Spurrier asks of his QBs is a lot different than what Kingsburry did.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #49
50ktight
4-Star

Male

50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws50ktight is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Just something to talk about but we all know Manziel won the Heisman based on the Alabama win. If you look at the rest of the games you could make a case that Shaw is better than Manziel. They both lost to LSU and Florida. Shaw had a fracture in his sholder and a foot injury....Manziel was not injured. Our team put us in the hole at Florida but it was an away game and at the Brice it would have been a different game (see Georgia) while Manziel had Florida at home. We both lost to LSU but A&M had them at home. I look forward to see the havoc a healty Shaw can put on the SEC next year. He will fly under the radar for a while. Like I said...just a thought.

This is why South Carolina never gets respect
50ktight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #50
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

Manziel is wayyyy better than shaw. End of story
Old 12-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #51
CockaThaWalk
Kick Dawgs Peel Taters

Male

CockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervousCockaThaWalk is making other chickens nervous

This can't be a debate? Manziel is a gunslinger. Connor is a peashooter.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #52
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

This thread makes me chuckle.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #53
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Yeh I mean Connor hasn't managed to pass for over 2000 yards yet, and we are comparing him to Manziel? Who has 3000 yds passing in his freshman year and over 1000 on the ground?
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #54
uscsec
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 92926
uscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his comb

This thread makes me say WTF?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #55
superfly
Game MVP

Male

superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsec View Post
This thread makes me say WTF?
Glad to help you out.....I think ?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #56
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGamecock View Post
Yeh I mean Connor hasn't managed to pass for over 2000 yards yet, and we are comparing him to Manziel? Who has 3000 yds passing in his freshman year and over 1000 on the ground?
It has been already stated many times that Connor hasn't gone through a complete year 100% yet...so it's hard for anybody to say he isn't comparable to anybody. He finished in the top 25 the past 2 seasons in QB rating...finished ahead of Manziel this year matter of fact...so it's not laughable or impossible to say Connor at 100% COULD be as good as Manziel

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #57
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

really is no comparison
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #58
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
No comparison. I feel dumber for having read this thread.
no joke. I can feel my neurons degenerating.
doc
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #59
cockycock10
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1110
cockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his clawscockycock10 is sharpening his claws

Stats aside, you can tell the difference between Shaw and Manziel by watching them play. Shaw is so damn hesitant to throw the ball, it's quite annoying. I hate watching him run. If all he wants to do is run, he should've played running back. With Manziel, there's a balance of run and throw.
cockycock10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #60
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockycock10 View Post
Stats aside, you can tell the difference between Shaw and Manziel by watching them play. Shaw is so damn hesitant to throw the ball, it's quite annoying. I hate watching him run. If all he wants to do is run, he should've played running back. With Manziel, there's a balance of run and throw.
When people say stats aside...that usually shows that there is a biased opinion coming. Connor is a good QB who has led us to 2 of the greatest seasons we have ever had in the history of Gamecock football and while i know it was done with a lot of great players around him and not done by himself...he was a huge part of it and hasn't played a full season 100% yet...can't wait to see it happen!

WIN ANYWAY!!