CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
JDJones
SanAntonioCock
USC_21
WeStillOwnUSC
aftertwobowls
Cockypantherfan
Ahmad
Cockhornleghorn
rabid cock
ESPNís Marisa Martin (1757)
**USC Women vs. Clem (1424)
2014 Charleston Clas (1299)
Fan bias toward a sp (1020)
Sidney Rice is havin (915)
10 years since " (893)
RG3 - Struggles Not (785)
Family, Faith, and G (727)
Have a problem and h (551)
The Official How Do (228)
**USC Women vs. Clemson G
2014 Charleston Classic *
Why the hesitance to put
Previewing Cornell
Cocky cloth towels
2014 Class AAAA Playoffs
how do you feel about Cle
10 years since "the
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
ESPNís Marisa Martin Make

Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #61
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

CockyCash: 500
JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Shaw vs Manziel....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
When people say stats aside...that usually shows that there is a biased opinion coming. Connor is a good QB who has led us to 2 of the greatest seasons we have ever had in the history of Gamecock football and while i know it was done with a lot of great players around him and not done by himself...he was a huge part of it and hasn't played a full season 100% yet...can't wait to see it happen!

Awwww, you must not know? Connor "The Golden Cock" Mitch is going to be the man after January. And by the man, I mean SOS is converting ALL eligible qb's to special teams and WR corps, and will not even mention a backup.

True story. Heard it in the proving grounds...
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #62
cocked&ready2rock
Recruit

Male

cocked&ready2rock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockaThaWalk View Post
This can't be a debate? Manziel is a gunslinger. Connor is a peashooter.

This is hilarious. True but funny as hell
cocked&ready2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #63
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material
Wink Re: Shaw vs Manziel....

I wonder how many votes Connor Shaw got for Heisman? Connor Mitch has the possibility, but he has not played a single down of college football.

Clowney for Heisman. Let's give that story legs.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #64
jcook84
Face Melter

Male

CockyCash: 2300
jcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudlyjcook84 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsecSC View Post
Awwww, you must not know? Connor "The Golden Cock" Mitch is going to be the man after January. And by the man, I mean SOS is converting ALL eligible qb's to special teams and WR corps, and will not even mention a backup.

True story. Heard it in the proving grounds...
I can vouch, I got confirmation from Jungle Boi, JT, and Diggs over lunch.
jcook84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #65
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

i am anxious to see what manziel looks like next year without that beast OL
Old 12-14-2012, 07:15 PM   #66
unmeaty
Recruit

Male

unmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPit

Like...in quarters? Or football?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #67
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Just something to talk about but we all know Manziel won the Heisman based on the Alabama win. If you look at the rest of the games you could make a case that Shaw is better than Manziel. They both lost to LSU and Florida. Shaw had a fracture in his sholder and a foot injury....Manziel was not injured. Our team put us in the hole at Florida but it was an away game and at the Brice it would have been a different game (see Georgia) while Manziel had Florida at home. We both lost to LSU but A&M had them at home. I look forward to see the havoc a healty Shaw can put on the SEC next year. He will fly under the radar for a while. Like I said...just a thought.
Difference between Shaw and Manziel is that Manziel does not nut up against great defenses, ala Alabama. Shaw does, ala LSU, Florida. I know Manziel lost to LSU and UF also but did not get blown out and had his team in position to win those games. Shaw fumbled on the first play in the UF game and overthrew many wide open receivers that would have went for TD's. Plus, losing composure in the LSU game, throwing a really silly pick that LSU scored on the drive that pretty much put the game away for LSU. Difference is Manziel plays up to his competition and Shaw shrivels up like a egg shell. Against average defenses, Shaw can play great. He can't handle great defenses, Manziel can.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #68
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
Difference between Shaw and Manziel is that Manziel does not nut up against great defenses, ala Alabama. Shaw does, ala LSU, Florida. I know Manziel lost to LSU and UF also but did not get blown out and had his team in position to win those games. Shaw fumbled on the first play in the UF game and overthrew many wide open receivers that would have went for TD's. Plus, losing composure in the LSU game, throwing a really silly pick that LSU scored on the drive that pretty much put the game away for LSU. Difference is Manziel plays up to his competition and Shaw shrivels up like a egg shell. Against average defenses, Shaw can play great. He can't handle great defenses, Manziel can.
Shaw was injured against both LSU and Florida.....big difference. I have played injured before and it throws everything off. Judge him next season healthy.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #69
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
You might want to actually look at Manziel's numbers against LSU before hyping how he kept them in the game. 3 picks and 0 TDs is hardly something to brag about.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #70
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmeaty View Post
Like...in quarters? Or football?
Quarters, but with a football instead of a cup.

It's the new craze, man.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #71
B&GSpur
Blue Chip

Male

B&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spursB&GSpur has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Manziel is gonna be bigger than Tebow
Yeah, he only needs to put on 35+ pounds.
B&GSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #72
ThrustingCock
Walk On

Male

ThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Just something to talk about but we all know Manziel won the Heisman based on the Alabama win. If you look at the rest of the games you could make a case that Shaw is better than Manziel. They both lost to LSU and Florida. Shaw had a fracture in his sholder and a foot injury....Manziel was not injured. Our team put us in the hole at Florida but it was an away game and at the Brice it would have been a different game (see Georgia) while Manziel had Florida at home. We both lost to LSU but A&M had them at home. I look forward to see the havoc a healty Shaw can put on the SEC next year. He will fly under the radar for a while. Like I said...just a thought.
I somewhat agree here... Shaw was injured all year, and showed great signs of playmaking ability and for those saying manziel has him beat bc of explosiveness and what not.. lets not forget that shaw had an 80 yrd run called back for a flag he was already past and can change a game with his arm and his legs Garnet Glasses or not a healthy Shaw can be the guy to lead the cocks to a ship and hold the heisman if things happen right hell... i bet if we let him try a PAT and he makes it .. that could be his 'heisman moment' who am i kidding Loooooong shot to win it but no less of a good player than johnny foosball
ThrustingCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #73
ThrustingCock
Walk On

Male

ThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spursThrustingCock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
You might want to actually look at Manziel's numbers against LSU before hyping how he kept them in the game. 3 picks and 0 TDs is hardly something to brag about.
you sound as if connor didnt have us in position to beat LSU
now lets not forget..(night game in the real death valley) lost by 2 and played slightly injured.. ill say this right now.. somebody quote me please
Connor Shaw plays with more heart and more courageously than any other player in the country. hes a gamer and i firmly believe he would do anything to get a W for gamecock nation
Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #74
ThrustingCock
Walk On

Male

Saying that Connor Mitch is the man after January and all the other qbs are going to ST and WR is the funniest thing ive ever seen hopefully Mitch can someday be a badass SEC champ but cmon man! you must be sniffin sharpies and spray paint man dont get me wrong..he tore it up this past season but hes a 2A HS player who isnt even on campus yet we have 2 proven winners and think hes going to be the man after January??? cmon be real here..cmon man i hope the Mitch statements were 100% sarcasm
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #75
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Based on what he did this year. MAYBE....BUT....Southern Cal was supose to win the NC based on Barkleyvl returning. How did that work out?
You drunk? Or grasping for straws?
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #76
uga dawg
Banned

Male

uga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudlyuga dawg is crowing loudly

If I were the OP, I would forget Manzel. the match-up you should be concerned with is Shaw vs Dylan Thompson for a starting job in 2013. if I was coach, Thompson would be the starter. your players have a little pep to them on the field when he's in the game, that they don't show when shaws in there. if shaw starts over thompson, its because the coaches put to much value on upper classman play. shaw doesn't have half the mechanics that dylan does. he's a short passing scrambler, and thompson is a technical qb who goes through his check downs, and fires the ball with some authority when the play needs to be made. not sitting in the pocket jumping around like a crow for 3 seconds and running. I don't even like carolina, so there is the real deal from someone who doesn't care either way.
uga dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #77
Justhatguy
4-Star

Male

Justhatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervousJusthatguy is making other chickens nervous

There were some writers who didnt even think Manziel deserved the Heisman and not because he was a RS Freshman but because they weren't that impressed with what he did. Because of recent winner QBs like Cam and Tebow, if you are a successful running and passing QB on a high profile team, then you have a chance to win the Heisman.

I think we put on garnet glasses the same way any other school's fans would say that have a super human QB. Shaw had a lot of hype coming into the season but also a few question marks (i.e Gamecocks go as far as Shaw will take them, etc). By the numbers, shaw can be as efficient, but he is not as good as Manziel is.

If we look at pure numbers:

YRDS CMP% TD INT QB Rating Rushing Yds

Manziel 3419 68.3 24 8 155.9 1181

Shaw 1732 67.3 15 7 156.9 339

B Miller (OSU) 2039 58.3 15 6 140.5 1271

M Mariota (Ore) 2511 69.9 30 6 165.4 690
Justhatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #78
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Every thing considered I think a healty Shaw could be as good as Manziel. Manziel played injury free...big difference. Shaw will ha e his chance and individual ststs do not always equate to winning. We'll see.
While Connor is fast, Manziel is just as fast or maybe faster. Manziel's arm is much stronger, and he looks for open receivers while dodging defensive players. How many big hits did he take this year, almost none because he has the ability to not put himself in a position to get hit. I appreciate your effort, but this is not even close. Here's the really big difference, Manziel's bad game against Florida was his first game, the rest of the games he continued to improve except for LSU. Connor only improved marginally from last year to this year. Bruce led the team in yards with about 500. Many of Connor's passes are to RB or TE that are short, fairly easy passes. Connor can't seem to throw on time and usually doesn't see open receivers down field. Name the best game Shaw has had away from home. We have a great defense and that's why we have been so good the last couple of years. Our offense ranks like 85th in the country this year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 AM   #79
Carolina4eva
Blue Chip

Male

Carolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervous

Running the ball you maybe could have a argument. Passing the ball no way. Thing is with shaw you have to be careful when looking at stats. A lot of his stats are due to a shit ton of dump off passes to the te and rb. I remember the Missouri game for one. Seemed like 75% of Connors passes were dump offs to Cunningham or Lattimore

Army National Guard
Carolina4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #80
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

wow! the most successful qb in the history of the university of south carolina, who has sacrificed of himself to play hurt, with an extremely painful fractured scapula all year, is talked about like this from his schools fans????????????? really???? he had a better qbr, and i think also a better completion percentage than johnny football, while playing HURT! johnny had lsu and florida at home, while we played them on the road with half the team missing most of the week with the flu.
yes, i agree that manziel is more gutzy in throwing downfield, but with that ol, why wouldn't he be? how many freshmen and sophomores did we have on an under-performing ol? now try to follow this. a qb with a very painful fractured scapula and foot, is playing behind a porous ol, who has allowed guys in the backfield after less than two sec's all season long, and you guys wonder why he is run happy? easy to be an armchair qb, isn't it?
the biggest difference between the two is the ol in front of them, and their health. with that good of an ol, and without his injuries, i think connor could have put up similar numbers. i'm not saying connor is as good, but to say they aren't comparable is ridiculous.