CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Cockypantherfan
roosterdude21
F4rpoole
Spur's Addiction
2000grad
Regalcock
taylorssc
Thenardier
Spurticus
qcgamecock
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (1513)
The #AskEmmert Q& (473)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (197)
Peach Bowl name retu (187)
Construction of Worl (152)
Save Electricity By (136)
Stadium Ratings-Site (108)
HELP calculating acr (101)
How Experienced In P (55)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Stadium Ratings-Site rate
2015 - Davon Durant
Victor Hampton Arrested
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM
Amazon Fire TV
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!

Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #21
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Tanner McEvoy

Mangus didn't recruit/sign Garcia so I didn't include him. But he was the QB coach when Garcia became the first USC QB under Spurrier to throw for 3,000 yards and there was noticable improvement from the time Mangus took over for Reaves.

Its fair to hold last season against Mangus, but I don't think we've ever seen a player (Garcia) do a 180 like he did.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Its fair to hold last season against Mangus, but I don't think we've ever seen a player (Garcia) do a 180 like he did.
Player relations is just as important as coaching/recruiting. That's one thing GA brings that was not here before...and it's a big improvement. People seem to forget that not a single QB recruited under SOS has completed their full eligibility (Garcia almost made it.). Connor will be the first.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I don't know. We only have a small sample size.

Connor is 16-3 as a starter and when he is healthy, he is one of the better dual threat QBs in the country.

Dylan has made the most improvement from day 1 of any Spurrier QB at USC.
CS is 16-3 as a starter because we have had a killer defense and Marcus, Kenny and Brandon in the backfield with him. CS is a great athlete who can do enough at the QB position to win with the other things mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ94 View Post
Mangus QB, Garcia and Shaw suffer with decision making.

Ive questioned Mangus coaching ability for a while...helluva recruiter

Garcia and Shaw dont appear to trust SOS system, Dylan seems to trust ig...results-Dylan looks lile a far better passer
I say this bc Shaw throws to receivers, Dylan throws to positions, a few tomes before the playrr even.makes a cut...vs man cvg thats damn hard to defend
I'm not too sure you can blame GA for all of this. Garcia was too lazy to learn SOS's schemes, was used to winning just 'hot dogging' or ad libbing his way and wasn't going to change.

CS has confidence issues with throwing the ball. He is used to tucking and running and he knows that he has a weak arm and a tendency to throw short and behind receivers.

Each have had different reasons for not 'buying into the SOS system', but the net result is the same. In the heat of battle, you play to your own strengths...and for both of these guys, that hasn't been the 'SOS system'.

On the other hand...

Dylan either has much more confidence than any one could have imagined, or he approaches things with the attitude that he has nothing to lose. Either way, he has been the most "Spurrier-like" QB that SOS has had here. Of our current QBs, he has the most upside by far...now that can change this spring, but until it does, I think the QB position is his to lose next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
While McEvoy was here, I mentioned several times that I believed he had the highest upside of any QB we've ever had on a USC roster. 6-6 QBs with elite mobility and arm strength are extremely rare.

I'm not surprised at all by the recruiting battle that's going on now. If he finds himself in the right situation, he'll wind up in the NFL too. Physical specimens like McEvoy do not get ignored by scouts, and he would put up video game numbers at a school like West Virginia.
Me too!

Honestly, going into August, I thought that Tanner would either beat CS out before the season started, or that he would take over by the third game. I believe, and this is my opinion, that he thought that he was doing that but not getting a fair shake or look in the process, figured that he never would, so he bolted. Had he stayed, I do believe that he would have been our starter from the second game this season on with the way that things panned out for CS this year.

I wish him well wherever he ends up unless he is facing us.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 46943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
CS is 16-3 as a starter because we have had a killer defense and Marcus, Kenny and Brandon in the backfield with him. CS is a great athlete who can do enough at the QB position to win with the other things mentioned.
Name one single college QB who had a 16-3 record in college or better, who accomplished it without all those "other things".....
Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Name one single college QB who had a 16-3 record in college or better, who accomplished it without all those "other things".....
what he said.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #26
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, I know, I say that to illustrate that Conner isn't the best passer on the planet without having to post numbers that are negative to him. I like CS...I do... and I appreciate all that he has done for us. He certainly saved our tails last season. But, he isn't a complete QB (passing) and I feel like he has taken us as far as he can. Trying to say that without appearing to be negative about CS isn't easy. Until he can back people out of the box with his passing threat, we have platued (sp) with him.

See what I am saying?
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I gotta believe that with all our QB troubles here lately that if he could have beaten out Connor and Dylan, he would have.

Maybe our coaches are jerks that play favorites, but I haven't seen the evidence of that.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #28
Barry_gamecock
Average a post a day

Male

CockyCash: 327
Barry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot materialBarry_gamecock is USC mascot material

Dylan is the first Carolina qb since...maybe Blake, but def. Phil Petty who knows how to throw the ball away. I have hated watching Garcia and Shaw take sacks.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #29
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

Brendan Nosovitch won the Maxwell Football Club's first Pennsylvania Player of the Year award and was named to the PARADE All-America football team following his senior season... is the state's career record-holder with 12,877 total yards( previously held by Dan Marino) and second all-time in the state in passing yards (9,249) and touchdown passes (106)... He redshirted this year.... I think he could get in the mix...

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

So who recruited McEvoy? I would call it a miss in that he either couldn't compete for a 3rd string job in a largely unproven qb pool or his work ethic/attitude didn't fit in here.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #31
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
So who recruited McEvoy? I would call it a miss in that he either couldn't compete for a 3rd string job in a largely unproven qb pool or his work ethic/attitude didn't fit in here.
G.A. Mangus

Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #32
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockyhard View Post
G.A. Mangus
Sorry, rhetorical question.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #33
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Sorry, rhetorical question.
oh.... lol.... my bad... I havent started drinking yet today Im a little slow right now... lol

Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #34
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
I gotta believe that with all our QB troubles here lately that if he could have beaten out Connor and Dylan, he would have.

Maybe our coaches are jerks that play favorites, but I haven't seen the evidence of that.
I wouldn't go that far, but in his eyes...
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #35
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

I always had high hopes for this kid. I hope he succeeds wherever he goes.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #36
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29799800
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Maybe you have inside info that I don't, but you continually say that McEvoy bailed because of bad work ethic, etc. Maybe that's true, maybe not.

In truth, he'd only played QB one season in high school, and had a lot to learn about the position. Being that far down the depth chart doesn't give a QB much of a chance to improve during the season, because practice reps are limited.

He probably made a wise move in transferring to the JUCO, and getting valuable playing time to hone his skills. Being that far down the depth chart, he wasn't going to get any meaningful practice time until Spring, then he would still be splitting time with Shaw, Thompson, Nosovitch, and Mitch. QB isn't like DE, LB, or WR...there's only one starter, and only so many balls available to throw.

Personally, I hated seeing the guy leave. He's very athletic, and if nothing else could've been a great WR here...but he wanted to play QB.

I'd like to think he learned a lot here, and applied that to playing for that JUCO team. It would be nice to see him get picked up by someone and play lights out...just not against us.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #37
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
Maybe you have inside info that I don't, but you continually say that McEvoy bailed because of bad work ethic, etc. Maybe that's true, maybe not.
No info, my point was he either left the team b/c a. he was unhappy with the depth chart position or b. personal issues, either not meshing with coaches or not wanting to put in time. If there is another reason to leave after a redshirt freshman year then I can't think of it.

I don't feel after a redshirt freshman year you can know what the next season will hold. If he put in the time who knows what could have happened. It just bothers me that at a position where we have a limited number of players and scholarships we can't seem to get anyone to finish their eligibility here.

Plus, both those issues seem to be able to be addressed during the recruitment process so I also feel that during that recruiting cycle he took away another players chance for a scholarship. I know we will use it this year, but tell that to the kid who didn't get to play for a college he really wanted to.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #38
b381l
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
We had a 16-3 record because we have a great defense and Connor doesn't turn it over. Is he a great QB, absolutely not.....but he is OK. Name his best road game.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 AM   #39
Gyle41386
Explosivo

Male

CockyCash: 1450
Gyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot materialGyle41386 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gyle41386 Send a message via Yahoo to Gyle41386

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
We had a 16-3 record because we have a great defense and Connor doesn't turn it over. Is he a great QB, absolutely not.....but he is OK. Name his best road game.
By these numbers, his best road win (in terms of pass efficiency defense) was over Vandy in our season opener.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #40
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
Is he a dual-threat QB?

I ask because he has interest from Oregon and West Virginia, who employ running QBs in Mariota and (now formerly) Geno Smith.
He was a tight end until his senior year in high school. So, he must have some ball skills.

Quote:
That's an optimistic way to look at the situation...the other way is that the staff didn't recognize what they had in McEvoy. I will say that a player who quits after a year or so due to too much competition at a position isn't a player I want on the team.
Maybe McEvoy didn't want to wait around three years before he played. It is not likely he would have surpassed Connor, and now Thompson looks to be encansed as the backup. A lot of players transfer because they want to play college ball and they don't see a way to crack into a starting role. There is nothing wrong with some attrition because it means we have good quality at the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Nebraska. Awesome game for CS.

Somebody said Connor has a weak arm. That is total BS. Spurrier has stated time and again that Connor throws a nice deep ball. He also makes that sideline pass on a rope . . . the kind of pass Smelley was unable to execute.

Connor's weakness is the same as Taj Boyd. He has a tendency to take off when his first read is covered up. However, he has shown on occasion, that he can indeed make the reads. He did it in the UT game, and played outstanding. He just needs consistency. IMO, that comes with experience.

Shaq Attack

Last edited by yazoo; 12-15-2012 at 02:44 PM.
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote