CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
eaglegolf018
ccured
roosterdude21
Cockypantherfan
Thenardier
ucan'tlickourcocks
ColaCock
The Yancey
Lalli25
Stadium Ratings-Site (792)
NBA Wants to Up Age (433)
Construction of Worl (393)
Peach Bowl name retu (377)
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!! (349)
Save Electricity By (342)
HELP calculating acr (288)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (273)
How Experienced In P (238)
40 Ways You Know You (171)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
NBA Wants to Up Age Limit
What is your perfect egg?
Jameis Winston's Accuser
MLB 14: The Show (PS4)
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Name a Gamecock
Stadium Ratings-Site rate

Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 AM   #81
Jdallen20
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 744
Jdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spurs
Default Re: Shaw vs Manziel....

Manziel won the Heisman Trophy.... Shaw has been known to have a little trouble throwing the ball. Not close. DYLAN THOMPSON 2013!!!!!

GET DOWN WITH THE CLOWN
Jdallen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #82
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
While Connor is fast, Manziel is just as fast or maybe faster. Manziel's arm is much stronger, and he looks for open receivers while dodging defensive players. How many big hits did he take this year, almost none because he has the ability to not put himself in a position to get hit. I appreciate your effort, but this is not even close. Here's the really big difference, Manziel's bad game against Florida was his first game, the rest of the games he continued to improve except for LSU. Connor only improved marginally from last year to this year. Bruce led the team in yards with about 500. Many of Connor's passes are to RB or TE that are short, fairly easy passes. Connor can't seem to throw on time and usually doesn't see open receivers down field. Name the best game Shaw has had away from home. We have a great defense and that's why we have been so good the last couple of years. Our offense ranks like 85th in the country this year.
Agree...kinda sadly but agree. Johnny has a elusiveness like Mike Vick...he is freaky quick in avoiding people and has a solid passing game to go with his running. He is on another level compared to Connor.
In some ways, he's what we hoped Connor would evolve into. And maybe Connor will still improve....just hoping.

Looking at how Russell Wilson's NFL career has panned out...I think Johnny could leave early for the draft...he will be a 3rd yr. player next season.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #83
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustingCock View Post
you sound as if connor didnt have us in position to beat LSU
now lets not forget..(night game in the real death valley) lost by 2 and played slightly injured.. ill say this right now.. somebody quote me please
Connor Shaw plays with more heart and more courageously than any other player in the country. hes a gamer and i firmly believe he would do anything to get a W for gamecock nation
Uh Yeah. That wasn't what I said at all. If you looked at my post connected to the original post I quoted from you would have noticed that I was pointing out that Manziel played a poor game against LSU contrary to the statement that he stepped up against tough competition.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #84
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4259
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

If anyone has watched any of the videos from behind Manziel and seen him throw the ball and watched Shaw do the same, there is no comparison. I know Shaw has been hurt, but even last year he had to take a couple of steps to throw long balls.
Its hard to compare them though, because they play on different types of teams. We try to play power football because we have good RBs (too bad we don't have always have the same quality of OL). Manziel plays out of the spread. He seems to be a mixture of Thompson and Shaw.
We can win with Shaw and if he improves his game we can win big with him. But its not JUST because of him. Right now we can say that for the most part he is not the reason for us to lose, and thats not something we could always say.
But to answer the question... No, there is no comparison between him and Manziel.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #85
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I'm just glad we don't have a QB that will throw four picks in a single game.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #86
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
I loved Garcia but I agree with that statement. Hard nosed and hard headed just didn't cut it.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #87
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
^^^THIS^^^
A lot of people give Connor a hard time for hanging on to the ball for too long...and I agree to an extent...he can throw it away more & he can get rid of it quicker at times...but he makes sure its there...which leads to less TO's & that is a great thing coming from the QB's we have had in the past
gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #88
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 195371
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

I think a HEALTHY Shaw is comparable especially running the ball. However Manziel is a better passer and willing to take more risk.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #89
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
We can win with Shaw and if he improves his game we can win big with him. But its not JUST because of him. Right now we can say that for the most part he is not the reason for us to lose, and thats not something we could always say.
But to answer the question... No, there is no comparison between him and Manziel.
shaw has orchestrated several 4th qrt comebacks. he has been the most instrumental player in most of our wins, and did it behind a terrible ol. so where do you come up with this? and, yes there is a comparison. another ridiculous statement. they are dual threat qb's. that alone starts the comparison. second, shaw runs better, jm just has a much, much, much better ol. and while jm throws better, i don't think it's all that much better. he has more time, and his system gets his wr's open faster. i definitely think jm is the better qb, but to say that there is no comparison is just not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
I think a HEALTHY Shaw is comparable especially running the ball. However Manziel is a better passer and willing to take more risk.
these guys just don't seem to understand what it means to try to play with a fractured scapula and foot. they keep judging him harshly without getting how spectacular it is that he even tries to play at all with this kind of pain, or take into account how hard it is to throw with that type of injury.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:33 PM   #90
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

This is the kind of thread that will be posted on tigernet as proof of our idiot fan base.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #91
superfly
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 900
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nureye View Post
This is the kind of thread that will be posted on tigernet as proof of our idiot fan base.
Well hop your A over there and see. I am not really worried about what is said on tiggernot.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #92
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Shaw was injured against both LSU and Florida.....big difference. I have played injured before and it throws everything off. Judge him next season healthy.
The fumble against Florida had nothing to do with injury. It was a mental mistake. Yes, Shaw was injured but in the LSU game he was visibly flustered many times. Throwing the pick against LSU was not injury it was mental. Overthrowing wide open receivers in the Florida game, maybe injury, not buying it as an excuse though. I understand your point but I disagree with 86.9% of it. Manziel has mental toughness, Shaw doesn't, at least not yet. I hope he gets some. Now I know this sounds like Shaw bashing but I really want him to work on these things and be our guy. Even though I disagree with your premise, I hope you are correct cause if a healthy Shaw can play like Manziel, we don't lose. I just think Manziel has the mental edge over Shaw.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #93
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
You might want to actually look at Manziel's numbers against LSU before hyping how he kept them in the game. 3 picks and 0 TDs is hardly something to brag about.
Still close loss like ours. You're right I didnt have the stats. That still doesn't change the fact Manziel has mental toughness Shaw lacks.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #94
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

I hope I'm wrong and it is the injuries that made Shaw not play his best at times.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #95
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
I hope I'm wrong and it is the injuries that made Shaw not play his best at times.
I agree, the weird thing is, he has a good and a bad trait. The good trait is he is the kind of guy that no matter what happens he is saying, "Put me in Coach!"

The bad part of that trait, is he doesn't know when he is just too banged up, and hurts the team by not sitting it out.

I know he means well, but at some point we have to use common sense. He is just one heck of a player. That's all.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:26 AM   #96
Jdallen20
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 744
Jdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spurs

Quote:
The fumble against Florida had nothing to do with injury. It was a mental mistake. Yes, Shaw was injured but in the LSU game he was visibly flustered many times. Throwing the pick against LSU was not injury it was mental. Overthrowing wide open receivers in the Florida game, maybe injury, not buying it as an excuse though. I understand your point but I disagree with 86.9% of it. Manziel has mental toughness, Shaw doesn't, at least not yet. I hope he gets some. Now I know this sounds like Shaw bashing but I really want him to work on these things and be our guy. Even though I disagree with your premise, I hope you are correct cause if a healthy Shaw can play like Manziel, we don't lose. I just think Manziel has the mental edge over Shaw.
Yup. That mental mistake cost us the SEC this year... His fumble 12 seconds into the game completely derailed our mentality on offense. We started drowning in our own blood (mistakes aka fumbles). Defense played their hearts out. Unfortunately, Shaw was not a very good leader that day. We need a leader to take us to the next platform of winning. I say all of this with complete honesty and no bias or negativity towards Shaw. I love his toughness and playmaking ability. I'm simply not satisfied nor confident in him leading our offense down the field against a good defense like Alabama (at bama), which Manziel did multiple times. No comparison because of this.

GET DOWN WITH THE CLOWN
Jdallen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #97
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Just something to talk about but we all know Manziel won the Heisman based on the Alabama win. If you look at the rest of the games you could make a case that Shaw is better than Manziel. They both lost to LSU and Florida. Shaw had a fracture in his sholder and a foot injury....Manziel was not injured. Our team put us in the hole at Florida but it was an away game and at the Brice it would have been a different game (see Georgia) while Manziel had Florida at home. We both lost to LSU but A&M had them at home. I look forward to see the havoc a healty Shaw can put on the SEC next year. He will fly under the radar for a while. Like I said...just a thought.
:l ol:

Um, no. Shaw may not even be the best QB on his own team. Lets not put him on even keel w/ the Heisman trophy winner until he's invited to NY, wins the division, the conference, or both.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #98
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallen20 View Post
Yup. That mental mistake cost us the SEC this year... His fumble 12 seconds into the game completely derailed our mentality on offense. We started drowning in our own blood (mistakes aka fumbles). Defense played their hearts out. Unfortunately, Shaw was not a very good leader that day. We need a leader to take us to the next platform of winning. I say all of this with complete honesty and no bias or negativity towards Shaw. I love his toughness and playmaking ability. I'm simply not satisfied nor confident in him leading our offense down the field against a good defense like Alabama (at bama), which Manziel did multiple times. No comparison because of this.
Is your background in sports psychology or mysticism?

Shaw botched that play, there is no question. I don't think it had anything to do with Byrd and Ace dropping balls on the wrong side of the field.

I remember watching a rivalry game a few years back where the opening kickoff was run back on us. We won that game. Shouldn't the failure of our ST have derailed us "mentally"? C'mon on man, a bad start like 7 points against in the first 20 seconds can definitely set the tone but I don't think it dooms a team for an entire 60m. And if it does, then there are more head cases out there we need to worry about than just Connie.
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #99
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Still close loss like ours. You're right I didnt have the stats. That still doesn't change the fact Manziel has mental toughness Shaw lacks.
You think a guy who comes back into a game and leads his team to victory with a fracture in his shoulder blade lacks mental toughness?
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #100
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
You think a guy who comes back into a game and leads his team to victory with a fracture in his shoulder blade lacks mental toughness?
yeah, i don't know what the hell some of these people are smokin, but they sure aren't thinking clearly. do they actually go back and read their posts? lol!

Quote:
first, that is just a moronic statement. you have no idea how much an injury plays into any event on the field unless it's you playing! second, injuries always raise the percentage of mental mistakes. how much easier do you think it is to get "flustered", when you are injured, in a great deal of pain, and because of it can't do what you normally do? come on einstein, this isn't rocket science. i've played several sports with an injury, and was always frustrated at not being able to perform the way i normally would.
and you're not buying a fractured scapula on the throwing side of his body as an excuse for his throws being off a bit? really? you might want to do some research here genius, and find out exactly what the scapula does. and along the same lines, shaw plays the entire year with a fractured scapula, also several games with a fractured foot, brings us back from a deficit in the 4th quarter of several games, and you don't think he has a "mental toughness". man, you're batting a .1000 in this post! it's real easy to be an armchair qb, isn't it.
there were two huge factors that made manziel look as good as he did this year, first he had a great ol, and second he played untouched most of the year. if he played behind our ol, he wouldn't have half the stats he does. again, i'm not saying connor is a better qb, but what i am saying is that you're comparing apples to oranges here. let connor play a whole season uninjured, and with a great ol, and then we will see how comparable they are.
lastly, a heisman winning, national championship/hall of fame coach says that shaw is an excellent qb, and one of the toughest he's coached. but you, in all of your glory aren't buying it? ooooooooooooooooooooook...