CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
trapper82
2000grad
Kaka
Captain9Dragons
carolina_corpsman
spareparts
Spotter22
gAmkok
Pw00132
ESPN is mad that USC (3619)
Vandy, Missouri, Ken (3132)
Mike Davis (2325)
Terrible Officiating (1463)
Cack's Toast of the (1444)
Worse 1st and goal p (1150)
USC -21 and a hook @ (979)
If (big IF) we can w (873)
USC vs Mizzou on CBS (697)
How the top 25 SHOUL (664)
Mike Davis
No Gurley near the goal l
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia
Terrible Officiating.
Cooper
CockyTalk Football Pickem
4-Star WR opts for soccer
20 of 31 former players s
Brad Guzan
Really excited to visit t

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #61
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

The way I see it both players have earned the right to see the field in the bowl game. Give each player equal oppertunity in the first half and go with the hot hand in the second.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #62
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material

I will say this about Dylan.

He has improved tremendously from throwing the ball in to the ground vs. Vandy in wk1 to owning the Tigers in wk 12.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #63
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The dirt balls are a mechanical flaw. He has a hitch that sometimes pops up when he doesn't set himself.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 12-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #64
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

If with the Florida reference you are suggesting that either of these players is Tebow then sure, play both.

We are done with the season and I still feel do not have an identity of offense...playing both quarterbacks this far into the season is a symptom of that.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #65
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

playing Dylan in this game is a reward for what he did during the season to help us win several games. I think he deserves the opportunity. Not suggesting that he should be our starter just deserving a reward.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #66
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
I can see that argue.

But let us play devil's argument for a second.

If SOS did not announce that Dylan Thompson would play, would Michigan only prepare for Connor Shaw?

Because if that happened, wouldn't that be advantageous to South Carolina?

Because then Michigan would be all like, "Oh Shit, who is this guy? We did not prepare for him? What can we do now but continue to play the defense that we installed over the last month that was read-option heavy and put less focus on long passes?"

If anything, I would want Michigan to prepare for only one QB and Miles and Davis and be shocked when we roll out Dylan and Carson.

Now with the above being said, let me say that I know Michigan would do there homework and prepare for Connor Shaw and Dylan Thompson.

If Spurrier really wanted to jangle their chain, he would have announced that Seth Strickland would start and play most of the game.
This is what leads me to believe that in no way is this a spurrier "motivation" or some kind of tactic. I think Spurrier truly just wants the best guy out there on the field, and he knows Dylan has a hot hand at the moment. I think sometimes people read too much into spurrier, when just like any other coach he's just doing what he thinks is needed to win the game.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #67
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
The Only time there is a Quarterback Controvery with this team is when
it created by fans with personal preference to a QB, and it's usualy
started on Message Boards or at Water Coolers etc... YES, I have been
a part of this but I still understand that the person who makes the call
that is best for the team Is Coach Spurrier and his staff.

My personal preference toward who starts ANY SEASON with the Gamecocks
as far back as I can remember being a fan, is based on his performance
on the field, he ability to improve and his ability to be a leader. Digging up
a sore subject for some: Everyone knows my stance on Stephen Garcia
when he was the starter. After years of him proving he was not going to
improve simply because he wasn't willing to put in the time it took to do so,
I no longer wanted him running the offense for the Gamecocks because
I saw the guy behind him eager to learn and improve and had the skill to
both run the offense, AND to continue to get better in his career. Because
of that, I have been in Connor's Corner since he was a Freshman backup
QB. That said, I know he has faults (as do all QBs for any team) But
having faults as a player who's taken this team FAR beyond where it was
when he did take over, having gone 16-3 as the starter with this offense
and doing it with a less than stellar O/line in front of him, I have no
reason to question why Steve Spurrier still has Connor Shaw listed as the
Number one QB and Dylan as the Backup.

THAT OUT OF THE WAY:

We now (for the fist time that I can recall in my lifetime) have two VERY
GOOD QBs at #1 and #2, AND we have another QB behind them who might
best them both in the Spring and fall....AND...one coming in who might be
better in time than all the above ! Even as a guy who absolutely loves
what Connor has done with this team since he took over the offense,
with the guy behind him being yet another TEAM FIRST Player, and has
shown a remarkable ability to improve his game from season to season,
I have no problem if the announcement is made starting next year if
Steve Spurrier declares Dylan Thompson the Starter. Both of these
young men are excellent leaders on the field, and their lives are such
that they will not do anything off the field to put this program or university
in a negative light. Both have proven they can run the offense to the
best of their abilities AND WIN in spite of their faults. Personal Favorites
asside, I think we all need to understand that we are in a special time
in the program's history AND FUTURE, when we should put personal
preference asside... simply yield to the judgment of the Coaches and
allow them to make the selections of who should be the starter, the
on deck guy, and who's in the hole, WITHOUT painting the backup as
someone with less talent and ability because they both possesss what
it takes to make this program win. More importantly, we are experiancing
that trait that we've all talked about but have yet to actually see take
place since Spurrier's been the coach, and that is we now have AT LEAST
two QBs who could start and that is only going to make the one that
does start even Stronger knowing the guy behind them can come in at
any point and time, and take over and be successful.

I think it's time we as Gamecock fans stop questioning Coach Spurrier
about his decisions with the QB now. I know in the past there was
major reasons to debate it, but right now THERE'S NOT. Either guy
can win with the style they play, and either are cabable of bad games,
but that should not be a reason to start questioning whether our coach
knows what he's doing now.

AND FOR THE COMMENT ABOUT CONNOR TRANSFERING IF HE LOSES
THE STARTING SPOT TO DYLAN

I hope you meant that as a sarcastic joke, because if you think that's
true statement you have absolutely no idea about how far from
reality you are with that opinion.

Well stated and you covered everything that I wanted to say! Good post!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #68
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 1650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks321 View Post
Dylan seems to play better when he starts not when he's just thrown in there.
No doubt about it, he hasn't been nearly as impressive coming in cold off the bench. However after his performance against the taters, I think he's earned some playing time in the bowl game, at least a series or two.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #69
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I have been in Connor's Corner since he was a Freshman backup QB. That said, I know he has faults (as do all QBs for any team) But
having faults as a player who's taken this team FAR beyond where it was
when he did take over, having gone 16-3 as the starter with this offense
and doing it with a less than stellar O/line in front of him, I have no
reason to question why Steve Spurrier still has Connor Shaw listed as the
Number one QB and Dylan as the Backup.

THAT OUT OF THE WAY:

We now (for the fist time that I can recall in my lifetime) have two VERY GOOD QBs at #1 and #2, AND we have another QB behind them who might best them both in the Spring and fall....AND...one coming in who might be better in time than all the above !
Both of these young men are excellent leaders on the field, and their lives are such that they will not do anything off the field to put this program or university in a negative light. Both have proven they can run the offense to the best of their abilities AND WIN in spite of their faults. Personal Favorites asside, I think we all need to understand that we are in a special timein the program's history AND FUTURE, when we should put personal preference asside... simply yield to the judgment of the Coaches and allow them to make the selections of who should be the starter, the
on deck guy, and who's in the hole, WITHOUT painting the backup as
someone with less talent and ability because they both possesss what
it takes to make this program win.
I think it's time we as Gamecock fans stop questioning Coach Spurrier about his decisions with the QB now. I know in the past there was major reasons to debate it, but right now THERE'S NOT. Either guy can win with the style they play, and either are cabable of bad games, but that should not be a reason to start questioning whether our coach knows what he's doing now.

AND FOR THE COMMENT ABOUT CONNOR TRANSFERING IF HE LOSES
THE STARTING SPOT TO DYLAN

I hope you meant that as a sarcastic joke, because if you think that's
true statement you have absolutely no idea about how far from
reality you are with that opinion.
excellent post!!! why is it so hard for some to see that the coaches know what they are doing? i don't get why guys on a sports board think they know better than the coaches who get paid tons to do this, and are with these players every day to see what the rest of us aren't.
i love the statement about nos and mitch, because it could very well be soooooooooo true.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM   #70
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock View Post
Lol think he meant when Florida won a national championship.

My bad. Actually, you could look to UF last year as a reason to hand it to one QB.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #71
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Spring practice could get very interesting between the Quarterbacks.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 AM   #72
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

He's pretty good isn't he? If he gets better the offense could be unstoppable. He could become a big name in college football next year.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #73
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

You have to have two qb's to be able to run the offense at any given time, three preferably. Hoping one qb can stay healthy all year is asking too much. We have depth at every other position and we are finally building depth at the most important position, quarterback.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #74
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
No doubt about it, he hasn't been nearly as impressive coming in cold off the bench. However after his performance against the taters, I think he's earned some playing time in the bowl game, at least a series or two.
I think it isn't as much as starting or not starting that kind of throws Dylan off his game. It is the preparation in practice the week before. If he isn't getting reps with the first team, and really taking in that game plan, he won't be that effective. No one would be that effective.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #75
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Don't like the move. I don't think we've ever played a good game under Spurrier (or ever) when playing 2 QB's. They can't both be in a rhythm that way.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #76
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

I agree with Talon , Dylan deserves a taste of the pie .He has worked hard on improving himself . When needed he proved he could handle the job. Like I said earlier this season for the first time in USC history we have a dependable backup at QB position. I do not agree that reguardless the QB the offense is the same .Conner is more a short range gunner that is also a runner. Whereas Dylan is more of a long range bomber. IMO..This doubles the work for Mich. defense to prepare for.If the running game works you will see Conner, if we find weakness in pass protection I feel we will see more Dylan. anyway I would like to say, I think all our players deserve praise for thier effort this year. ....THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK AND THE EXCITEMENT YOU FILLED MY SATURDAYS WITH. For all our seniors I will be looking forward to seeing you on sundays. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL WHAT EVER YOUR PATH.....
Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #77
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
excellent post!!! why is it so hard for some to see that the coaches know what they are doing? i don't get why guys on a sports board think they know better than the coaches who get paid tons to do this, and are with these players every day to see what the rest of us aren't.
i love the statement about nos and mitch, because it could very well be soooooooooo true.
Probably because it's not much fun to check a board when every post says "I agree with what the coach is doing."
Old 12-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #78
Factorynew
On Walk

Male

Factorynew is sharpening his clawsFactorynew is sharpening his clawsFactorynew is sharpening his clawsFactorynew is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallen20 View Post
Ah hah!! You sir are correct! Finally. Someone has the appropriate concern for our current QB situation. Can't you people understand that if we had a sure shot starter and leader he would undoubtedly be playing... every game... the whole game... no questions. I don't see AJ McCarron sharing snaps with his back up. I don't see Aaron Murray sharing snaps with anyone. Hey. These guys aren't Peyton Manning, but they have proven themselves amongst their peers as the best and start! WE NEED A GUY TO PROVE THEMSELVES. I'm so over all of this both will play crap. I'm sure our receivers are too. Chemistry between players is a real thing and it matters. In my opinion, Dylan Thompson has better leadership qualities, clearer vision, and a stronger arm. Shaw is more athletic and a better runner. I would like to think anyone with any football IQ would agree that Dylan has better QUARTERBACKING skills. He makes great decisions and make great throws to reinforce them. If his first read is not open, he will work through his progression, throw the ball, and scramble only if necessary. Shaw just seems to panic, tuck, run, juke, and pick up a few yards with his feet if his first read is not open. Yes, he does make big plays sometimes on the scramble (which presumably adds confidence of pseudo-success in his legs), but it is not acceptable when trying to win championships... That's what I want. I'm so over being 4th-6th best team in the SEC every year and going to a new years day bowl in Florida. That's a great accomplishment for a lot of teams, but it's not the goal for a program that hires Steve Spurrier and invest Millions of dollars to provide the best environment for winning. I'm ready to take the next step! I WANT A CHAMPIONSHIP.

awesome post! points
Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #79
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
Spring practice could get very interesting between the Quarterbacks.
It is going to be very interesting...that and the battle at runningback.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #80
OfficeLinebackerCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1230
OfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallen20 View Post
Ah hah!! You sir are correct! Finally. Someone has the appropriate concern for our current QB situation. Can't you people understand that if we had a sure shot starter and leader he would undoubtedly be playing... every game... the whole game... no questions. I don't see AJ McCarron sharing snaps with his back up. I don't see Aaron Murray sharing snaps with anyone. Hey. These guys aren't Peyton Manning, but they have proven themselves amongst their peers as the best and start! WE NEED A GUY TO PROVE THEMSELVES. I'm so over all of this both will play crap. I'm sure our receivers are too. Chemistry between players is a real thing and it matters. In my opinion, Dylan Thompson has better leadership qualities, clearer vision, and a stronger arm. Shaw is more athletic and a better runner. I would like to think anyone with any football IQ would agree that Dylan has better QUARTERBACKING skills. He makes great decisions and make great throws to reinforce them. If his first read is not open, he will work through his progression, throw the ball, and scramble only if necessary. Shaw just seems to panic, tuck, run, juke, and pick up a few yards with his feet if his first read is not open. Yes, he does make big plays sometimes on the scramble (which presumably adds confidence of pseudo-success in his legs), but it is not acceptable when trying to win championships... That's what I want. I'm so over being 4th-6th best team in the SEC every year and going to a new years day bowl in Florida. That's a great accomplishment for a lot of teams, but it's not the goal for a program that hires Steve Spurrier and invest Millions of dollars to provide the best environment for winning. I'm ready to take the next step! I WANT A CHAMPIONSHIP.

Ok, so you are suggesting that we fire Spurrier and hire somebody the agrees with YOU? I can't help but notice that your evaluation of the skillset of current players is a bit different...at least different from my own. I think I'm going to stick with the ole ball coach; at least for now. By the way, I also noticed that you completely ingnored the glaring weakness in our offense for the past few years that would be giving Joe Montanna fits if he were our QB.