CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
gamecockgal
b381l
Order 66
garnet_black215
Ahmad
DTGCOCKS#32
Pw00132
wumarshall82
JerseyBird
Thoughts on Shawn El (1689)
10-2 (1679)
UK promoting a black (1576)
Four UK Players Susp (1047)
Coach Gaines: " (991)
Time for a new coach (954)
I Was Dealing With T (767)
Build a New Stadium (663)
Connor Shaw's fault. (662)
Since everyone loves (513)
Four UK Players Suspended
UK promoting a blackout f
2015 Commitment - Jaire A
Build a New Stadium
Coach Gaines: "Not m
Maty Mauk tries to take o
400 pasing yards
Funny?
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Connor Mitch

Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #101
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material
Default Re: I Know We Love the Block C, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1 View Post
Attachment 9635

Pretty sure this came from someone on Cockytalk. Don't remember who so can't give credit where it is due.
This picture has been submitted to Ray Tanner.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #102
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaddy1847 View Post
It's amazing to me when people ask for things we did like four decades ago. Yancey tried to point this out but no one got his sarcasm.

From 1966-67 (you can buy one on eBay)

Attachment 9639

Some of y'all should brush up on your Gamecock football history LOL!

NM
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #103
JQ94
4-Star

Male

JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

I really hope they dont change it..we have one of the most recognizable mascots and logos on the NCAA. Why screw with it...plain gamecock on white looks very...high schoolish
Old 12-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #104
JQ94
4-Star

Male

JQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talonsJQ94 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
Why are so many people completely enamored with a generic block letter? The whole point is that the gamecock on the logo is what makes it unique, so why not drop the clunky letter and enlarge the part of the logo we would really like for people to recognize? Geez!
Because plain gamecock ilooks like a helmet from a poor rural football team who plays on.sand and wear bball shorts over their pads...lol
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #105
Gamecock_girl_west
1st Team All-SEC

Female

Gamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
And that's a lot more important than the "traditionalists" probably realize. Who cares if all of the long-time fans/alumni like the logo the way it is. I'm willing to bet the oversized logo sand1 posted without the block c is more appealing to the current players and RECRUITS than the one we currently have. So if something as simple as dropping the block c and making the gamecock oversized can help even the least little bit with sparking interest in recruits, is that not worth sacrificing a little piece of tradition?
I don't see how that is going to help us with recruiting. As far as what the players want. I am sure that they would love it if we had some wacky uniforms like Oregon. However, do you really want the guy who chose to come here because he liked the unis? I am all for a throwback uni every now and then, and we can use the Block C-less helmet for the 70's. However, the brand, the logo overall should remain the Block C.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #106
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

I'm good with the status quo. I think it looks great.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #107
803scdantes
Bowl MVP

Male

803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit803scdantes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ35 View Post
This!! Almost exactly what I was going to say. Our logo is fine. It looks great and is one of the most recognizable in college sports IMO... Leave it alone!!
Alabama's logo is different now than it was 20 years ago. http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/597

Last edited by 803scdantes; 12-14-2012 at 11:23 AM.
803scdantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #108
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
Alabama's logo is different now than it was 20 years ago. http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/597
Surely you need to be banned for this! I mean there's no way a traditional power has ever altered anything about their logo, right? I guess it's true after all, the end really is near.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 PM   #109
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjssax View Post
I don't like it with just the bird, I had that logo on my truck last year, switched to the the Block C, looks so much better!
you can keep the block C for the 50 yard line logo, and still use it everywhere,but on the helmet the plain Gamecock looks better.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #110
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
thats point my above post makes, use what you would call an Alternate logo on the helmets, just the Gamecock and use your Block C with Gamecock everywhere else.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #111
carolinasELITE
South Carolina Alum

Male

CockyCash: 25000200
carolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talonscarolinasELITE has developed his gaff and talons

I dont have any problem with the block c, but i will say that i do like it without the block c better
carolinasELITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #112
SwimCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
SwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPitSwimCock rules the CockPit

For next year's home game against Clemsux, we should just put a picture of Swearinger flexing above Andre after he knocked him 5 feet in the air with a full twist in the layout position. Has a team ever put such a picture on a helmet? It would definitely be unique.
SwimCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #113
thespurr
4-Star

Male

thespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his comb

I love the Block C logo. I think it's one of the best looking logos in all of college sports honestly. I wouldn't mind these concepts for maybe one game. I think it would be cool to see something different, but keep the Block C for the rest of the games.
thespurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #114
thespurr
4-Star

Male

thespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his combthespurr is developing his comb

Put this on the side of the helmet against Clemsux next year.
thespurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #115
Garoon
Calmer than you are.

Male

Garoon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talonsGaroon has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1 View Post
Attachment 9635

Pretty sure this came from someone on Cockytalk. Don't remember who so can't give credit where it is due.
Hadn't been a fan of the Mizzou approach to unis and helmets, or any other new-wave trend (Oregon, for example) until this picture.

There is one BIG REASON why our mascot logo is best suited for the kind of "Mizzou approach" -- even better-suited than Mizzou, and that reason comes from this question: How many other mascots logos do you know of where the symbol of the team is in the middle of an attacking motion? I know of none other, unless I'm missing someone.

Look at the gamecock. He's mean, pissed, and he's not just thinking about attacking. He's not strutting or puffing up. He's past that. He's already mid-flight straight for your face. He's in a motion that you can SEE is AIMING in one particular direction: his spurs are going where his beak is going. Why not accentuate that unique (and badass) trait of the Gamecock?

To me, the gamecock logo is more intimidating than any other mascot logo in all of college football. Why not put a big one one a helmet that is angled for the linemen. That is, where the D-Line or (especially) the O-Line heads are in position, that gamecock on their helmet is aiming straight ahead, showing what is about to happen. Make it big, make it cover the helmet like Mizzou's.

29 - 7
(Average tooth count per individual, per fan base; example as to the former below)
Garoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #116
Spartan
Blue Chip

Male

Spartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudlySpartan is crowing loudly

If we do anything to the logo on the helmet or anywhere else, we need to remove all of the "borders" from everything and make it one solid color. Our logo itself is very distinct, but it's too busy.

These images were created by ColaCock, and I think this is what the AD needs to adopt- IF they are going to change anything about the logo at all. Much cleaner. More badass. No controversy.

Personally, I like the white on black and the white on garnet versions.

Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #117
CarolinaCJAM
Carolina Band

Male

CarolinaCJAM is developing his combCarolinaCJAM is developing his combCarolinaCJAM is developing his combCarolinaCJAM is developing his combCarolinaCJAM is developing his combCarolinaCJAM is developing his combCarolinaCJAM is developing his combCarolinaCJAM is developing his combCarolinaCJAM is developing his combCarolinaCJAM is developing his comb

That last one with just the Gamecock's head/neck is sexy!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #118
jared
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 14402
jared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his combjared is developing his comb

^^^can someone send those to Ray Tanner? Those are awesome
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 AM   #119
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
^^^can someone send those to Ray Tanner? Those are awesome
rtanner@mailbox.sc.edu

Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #120
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
If we do anything to the logo on the helmet or anywhere else, we need to remove all of the "borders" from everything and make it one solid color. Our logo itself is very distinct, but it's too busy.

These images were created by ColaCock, and I think this is what the AD needs to adopt- IF they are going to change anything about the logo at all. Much cleaner. More badass. No controversy.

Personally, I like the white on black and the white on garnet versions.

I like the plain, black and white ones. The rest of them, not so much.