CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
yazoo
Acockolypse Now
BlueHerons
spareparts
IslandCock
Cockhornleghorn
rolinb1
Cockypantherfan
CockyCody
The bane of our seas (1602)
OBC banner being add (1511)
Ward wants us to pla (1207)
WR Depth Chart/Rotat (1023)
Who scores the first (971)
Davis Playing in A&a (849)
Tanner McEvoy Starti (592)
Come and get your Jo (539)
CFB Playoff Bracket (507)
All garnet for Thurs (486)
***2014 Carolina Panthers
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
I have not bought into ou
Perry Dozier Jr. (2015 Pr
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
First action of the new s
Howdy! - Tailgating quest
Connor Shaw Browns
Balkman vs. USA
My own Clemson vs Carolin

Old 12-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #101
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Re: Shaw vs Manziel....

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
yeah, i don't know what the hell some of these people are smokin, but they sure aren't thinking clearly. do they actually go back and read their posts? lol!

first, that is just a moronic statement. you have no idea how much an injury plays into any event on the field unless it's you playing! second, injuries always raise the percentage of mental mistakes. how much easier do you think it is to get "flustered", when you are injured, in a great deal of pain, and because of it can't do what you normally do? come on einstein, this isn't rocket science. i've played several sports with an injury, and was always frustrated at not being able to perform the way i normally would.
and you're not buying a fractured scapula on the throwing side of his body as an excuse for his throws being off a bit? really? you might want to do some research here genius, and find out exactly what the scapula does. and along the same lines, shaw plays the entire year with a fractured scapula, also several games with a fractured foot, brings us back from a deficit in the 4th quarter of several games, and you don't think he has a "mental toughness". man, you're batting a .1000 in this post! it's real easy to be an armchair qb, isn't it.
there were two huge factors that made manziel look as good as he did this year, first he had a great ol, and second he played untouched most of the year. if he played behind our ol, he wouldn't have half the stats he does. again, i'm not saying connor is a better qb, but what i am saying is that you're comparing apples to oranges here. let connor play a whole season uninjured, and with a great ol, and then we will see how comparable they are.
lastly, a heisman winning, national championship/hall of fame coach says that shaw is an excellent qb, and one of the toughest he's coached. but you, in all of your glory aren't buying it? ooooooooooooooooooooook...

And might I add...how do people say Connor "cost" us the SEC bc we lost to LSU & Florida...but had 2 TDs & 2 pics against them...& Manziel was 0 TDs & 3 pics against them & lost to them but he didn't "cost" them to lose? Yeah...Manziel is "light years" above Connor & there is "no comparison"

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #102
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
:l ol:

Um, no. Shaw may not even be the best QB on his own team. Lets not put him on even keel w/ the Heisman trophy winner until he's invited to NY, wins the division, the conference, or both.
So using this same logic...how is Dylan "even keel" when he hasn't done NEAR what Connor has & against far worse defenses?

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #103
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post

And might I add...how do people say Connor "cost" us the SEC bc we lost to LSU & Florida...but had 2 TDs & 2 pics against them...& Manziel was 0 TDs & 3 pics against them & lost to them but he didn't "cost" them to lose? Yeah...Manziel is "light years" above Connor & there is "no comparison"
the double standard idiot's aren't bright enough to see the glaring contradiction. after finally watching the clemscum game, i am absolutely amazed by everyone's delusional love affair with dylan. maybe it's because i let them build it up in my mind, but i was astonished at how bad dylan looked to me, compared to what they all said happened. i'm going to go back and watch that game again, and list all the time references where dylan should have been intercepted, and short hopped balls to open wr's. because, now i'm wondering if my mind was playing tricks on me.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #104
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
the double standard idiot's aren't bright enough to see the glaring contradiction. after finally watching the clemscum game, i am absolutely amazed by everyone's delusional love affair with dylan. maybe it's because i let them build it up in my mind, but i was astonished at how bad dylan looked to me, compared to what they all said happened. i'm going to go back and watch that game again, and list all the time references where dylan should have been intercepted, and short hopped balls to open wr's. because, now i'm wondering if my mind was playing tricks on me.
Yeah...when i get time...i am going to go back and watch it again too. I usually watch games 4-5 times each after recording them but have been busy moving so haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it again...but i did see the "should have been pics" you are referring to and against a horrid defense. Like i have said before...i think it has a lot to do with everyones expectations of coming in to this year and when we lost to LSU and Florida with Connor...a lot of people got very dissapointed and wanted to jump ship instead of realizing how good those 2 D's are...and being on the road at that. Against those 2 teams...the Heisman winner didn't do good either and MOST of the time...a good D is going to make a QB look worse...but in no way, shape, or form was those 2 losses all on Connor

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #105
BrazosCoTX
Walk On

Male

BrazosCoTX has hatched from the shell

Take it from a Gamecock alum who lives in Aggieland and watched the Manziel legend develop, and watched every Carolina game on TV that I could -- Connor and Johnny are two different animals. A few differences:

- Connor is the one of the most physically courageous competitors that I've seen, especially when he's healthy. He does not avoid contact. Johnny, on the other hand, is the most confident competitor I've ever seen, and he does try to avoid contact to the extent that he can.

- Once Marcus got hurt, Johnny clearly had the best supporting cast. Two All American tackles, and a center who will be drafted. Plus, three running backs who combined for 1200+ yards and about 20 TDs. At least one of the WRs is going to be drafted, too.

- Johnny learned quick. Florida shut him down in the second half in the Aggies' season-opening game, but in truth, he was no where in sync with his receivers in that first game compared to where he got to later in the year. LSU's athleticism exposed some of his rough edges, too. The Aggies lost both games by a total of 8 points. Point being -- he kept 'em in the game.

- The toughest job in college football, in my opinion, is playing QB for Steve Spurrier. Connor has that job. Johnny was allowed to grow into the QB job by Sumlin and Kingsbury. Typical critique by Kingsbury: "Well, Johnny, you missed your primary receiver... and you missed your secondary receiver, too. That said, you did run 38 yards for a touchdown." Johnny would drive the Ole Ball Coach absolutely nuts with his penchant for creating things on the run.

- Johnny did not have to play against Jadaveon Clowney, who was the best DL in the SEC, or the Carolina secondary. That said, Connor did not have to play against Demontre Moore, the Aggie All American (who followed in Von Miller's footsteps). He might have feasted against the Aggie secondary, clearly the weakest link in the chain.

Can a healthy Connor do the things Johnny can? If we use winning as the yardstick, then I would say yes. They will simply get it done differently.
BrazosCoTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #106
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazosCoTX View Post
Take it from a Gamecock alum who lives in Aggieland and watched the Manziel legend develop, and watched every Carolina game on TV that I could -- Connor and Johnny are two different animals. A few differences:

- Connor is the one of the most physically courageous competitors that I've seen, especially when he's healthy. He does not avoid contact. Johnny, on the other hand, is the most confident competitor I've ever seen, and he does try to avoid contact to the extent that he can.

- Once Marcus got hurt, Johnny clearly had the best supporting cast. Two All American tackles, and a center who will be drafted. Plus, three running backs who combined for 1200+ yards and about 20 TDs. At least one of the WRs is going to be drafted, too.

- Johnny learned quick. Florida shut him down in the second half in the Aggies' season-opening game, but in truth, he was no where in sync with his receivers in that first game compared to where he got to later in the year. LSU's athleticism exposed some of his rough edges, too. The Aggies lost both games by a total of 8 points. Point being -- he kept 'em in the game.

- The toughest job in college football, in my opinion, is playing QB for Steve Spurrier. Connor has that job. Johnny was allowed to grow into the QB job by Sumlin and Kingsbury. Typical critique by Kingsbury: "Well, Johnny, you missed your primary receiver... and you missed your secondary receiver, too. That said, you did run 38 yards for a touchdown." Johnny would drive the Ole Ball Coach absolutely nuts with his penchant for creating things on the run.

- Johnny did not have to play against Jadaveon Clowney, who was the best DL in the SEC, or the Carolina secondary. That said, Connor did not have to play against Demontre Moore, the Aggie All American (who followed in Von Miller's footsteps). He might have feasted against the Aggie secondary, clearly the weakest link in the chain.

Can a healthy Connor do the things Johnny can? If we use winning as the yardstick, then I would say yes. They will simply get it done differently.
excellent post! good to see a well thought out, and balanced post. the ol that was infront of jm, was excellent. i still expect tam to do well, even with those ol moving on. but will he have as good a season next year, when the entire sec knows who he is now, and will game plan for him? it'll be interesting to watch.