CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
ReadR00ster
WeStillOwnUSC
Cockypantherfan
seamus
SCrules
ChickenButt
Yearofthegamecock
NAGamecockFan
Ahmad
Spurrier Press confe (2243)
why we're in this po (2027)
Predict the Season ( (1716)
Dylan Thompson picke (1495)
Waldrop & Willia (1305)
Acock's Wrap Up: Van (1149)
Dillon Day suspended (751)
Look who's at the bo (741)
Vols dismiss RB for (734)
Tied with Auburn as (522)
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:
The defense will signific
2015 Commitment - Arden K
Pharoh Cooper is a stud
total of commits this yea
Dillon Day suspended
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
D line pressure
2015 Commitment - Mon Den
2016 - Bryan Edwards

Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material
Default Clowney Eyes Heisman - ESPN

Quote:
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney's goal is to be sitting in New York next December as one of the finalists for the Heisman Trophy.

"I believe a defensive player can win the Heisman next year," Clowney said.

Actually, he believes he can win it.

"That's my next thing, New York," Clowney said Monday night after the Gamecock's practice. "Next season, I am going to come out and try to work harder than I did this season and try to get there."

Clowney smiles when asked if he's capable of pulling off that feat.

"It's a possibility," he said. "I just keep playing my game, and I probably have a shot at winning next year."
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...heisman-trophy
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
CampusPolice
To Protect and Serve

Male

CockyCash: 2200
CampusPolice is sharpening his clawsCampusPolice is sharpening his clawsCampusPolice is sharpening his clawsCampusPolice is sharpening his clawsCampusPolice is sharpening his claws
Default Re: Clowney Eyes Heisman - ESPN

#7 on the field, #1 in the Heisman Trust hearts.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

If this guy really sets his sights on doing things next year that have never been done...well then that makes me really happy
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
jphillipslive
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
jphillipslive has hatched from the shell

A goal driven Clowney is going to be something truly amazing to watch!!!!

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
jphillipslive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
uscsec
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 92926
uscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his combuscsec is developing his comb

Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

May he have a heisman worthy season for a heisman worthy team. I love his motor.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Gamecock303
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

should have been there this year in my opinion...best defensive player in the country.
Gamecock303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

He can taste it.... I love it .... We might just watch history next year.... Damn Im already excited for next year... lol

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
spareparts
1-9-9-9

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

This just sent our bowl ratings through the frickin roof
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

I hope Clowney is one of the guys chosen for SEC Media Days next year.

Although the Heisman trophy is largely a meritocratic award (still) being able to present personality and maybe a good story will certainly help his chances.

If nothing else, it would probably be good to see him on ESPN and sportcenter next year as often as Johnny Football, Teo, Luck, Newton, and Tebow were.

The story, in my humble opinion, is that Jadeveon Clowney is one of the most dominant players (if not the most dominant force) in college football. If he puts up the numbers he needs to put up (about 2 sacks per game and a ton of TFLs), makes a few Heisman moment plays (steal them from Melvin Ingram's playbook), and the defense is dominant yet again next year, his story will be that the best defender in the nation should be able to win the Heisman trophy or else just call it what is has been and apparently always will be: The Best Offensive Player and that's it.

Coaches and other Players are in awe of this guy. He does things will such speed and skill that can't be duplicated by anyone else.

You cannot block him one-on-one. Ask Clemson.

The rules have to be changed when he plays to make it somewhat fair for everyone else. Ask SEC referees.

Also, and I know this goes against popular thought but, I do not believe he has to play a snap on offense to make it to New York.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
This just sent our bowl ratings through the frickin roof
Great insight... I like the way you think....

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
GamecockSuperFan
"and so forth"

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

I think it would be wonderful, but can anyone really imagine him up there on stage giving a heisman speech? lol it'd be funny to watch. Clowney wants that #1 overall pick $$$$

One thing I thought I would see more from clowney that I havent seen (& this would really get the heisman voters talking) is intercepting some of those little screens and swing routes that come his way.. I've seen him jump up and bat them down countless times but i've been waiting for him to snag it and take it back to the house. Shoot D.Taylor has had a couple pick sixes, I'd love to see big clowney using that 4.5 speed returning an INT!!

Clowney is one of those special players that do not come around often. I think the media knows that, & they tend to do a good job recognizing those type of athletes. I think a QB has won it though the last 9 years? Kind of shows what that award is all about. QB's lead the team based off what they do down in and down out. Running, passing, decision making, etc. They soak up the glory & rightfully so. In my opinion it would take the best performance by a defensive player in the history of college football to win that award as a defensive player. I'm not saying it's not possible.. but if there's a QB who's putting up crazy stats like manziel and or leads that team to an undefeated season/national title game, then that guy is undoubtedly going to win it. I think the only reason the voting was close between Manti and Manziel was based off the fact that manziel was a freshman, and some heisman voters still vote off of a body of work.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
I think the only reason the voting was close between Manti and Manziel was based off the fact that manziel was a freshman, and some heisman voters still vote off of a body of work.

That is a point.

We have seen the Honey Badger and Suh in New York recently.

Patrick Peterson could have been there.

Clowney has an advantage of going into the season as a heisman name
Old 12-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 720
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
I think it would be wonderful, but can anyone really imagine him up there on stage giving a heisman speech? lol it'd be funny to watch. Clowney wants that #1 overall pick $$$$

One thing I thought I would see more from clowney that I havent seen (& this would really get the heisman voters talking) is intercepting some of those little screens and swing routes that come his way.. I've seen him jump up and bat them down countless times but i've been waiting for him to snag it and take it back to the house. Shoot D.Taylor has had a couple pick sixes, I'd love to see big clowney using that 4.5 speed returning an INT!!

Clowney is one of those special players that do not come around often. I think the media knows that, & they tend to do a good job recognizing those type of athletes. I think a QB has won it though the last 9 years? Kind of shows what that award is all about. QB's lead the team based off what they do down in and down out. Running, passing, decision making, etc. They soak up the glory & rightfully so. In my opinion it would take the best performance by a defensive player in the history of college football to win that award as a defensive player. I'm not saying it's not possible.. but if there's a QB who's putting up crazy stats like manziel and or leads that team to an undefeated season/national title game, then that guy is undoubtedly going to win it. I think the only reason the voting was close between Manti and Manziel was based off the fact that manziel was a freshman, and some heisman voters still vote off of a body of work.
Reggie Bush? Mark Ingram?,

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB21 View Post
Yep, even though you could slight Reggie Bush, but yes they also won it.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
jellafever
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1035714
jellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot materialjellafever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockyhard View Post
Great insight... I like the way you think....
Of course... Our game is at 1 on ESPN while there will be a couple of other games going on simultaneously on other channels. Never hurts to try to boost the ratings.

On a related note, I don't understand why they have the January 1st games scheduled they way they do. There's only like 5 Jan. 1st game and three of them start at or around 1:00 PM. In the past there were many more games on January 1st so it was more understandable. Just seems that they could spread the games out a little better than they do (like a normal CFB Saturday).
jellafever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
GamecockSuperFan
"and so forth"

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB21 View Post
Doh, excuse me 11 of the last 13 winners were all QB's.. not the last 9. Dosen't really alter my point though any.. It's a QB award for the most part.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
Big Spur
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 20199
Big Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot materialBig Spur is USC mascot material

Well, there goes those silly Taters theory that Clowney would take it easy next year.
Big Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #19
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Spur View Post
Well, there goes those silly Taters theory that Clowney would take it easy next year.

The only thinking that Clemson-associated people do is wishful thinking
Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
doc
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1755
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Only way he has a chance is if we play him some on offense, maybe RB
or TE or both.
doc is online now   Reply With Quote