CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
thekob
Acockolypse Now
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
Spur's Addiction
B-G
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
Mt. Lattimore
Backup QB competitio (3181)
Anyone heard anythin (1661)
2014 Preseason USA T (1466)
Future Non-Conferenc (869)
Spurrier on the cove (557)
Kewl video (441)
Musburger/Palmer to (438)
Ranking the SEC scho (391)
Dustin Johnson takin (361)
Shaq R. (298)
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
Anyone heard anything abo
SEC as Game of Thrones Ho
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Kewl video
Backup QB competition
2014 Preseason USA Today/
Random CFB Stats
An Aggies View of the Mat
BBBRRRUUUUUCCCEEEE!!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Fear#5
New and Improved

Male

CockyCash: 249940200
Fear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot materialFear#5 is USC mascot material
Default ESPN article on Kenny Mckinley and O.J. Murdock

This article details Kenny's and O.J.'s lives and tragic suicides. It's very sad but an interesting read. RIP Kenny and O.J.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...hings-go-wrong

Last edited by Fear#5; 12-18-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Fear#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
RunNGun07
There is no curse

Male

CockyCash: 500
RunNGun07 is developing his combRunNGun07 is developing his combRunNGun07 is developing his combRunNGun07 is developing his combRunNGun07 is developing his combRunNGun07 is developing his combRunNGun07 is developing his combRunNGun07 is developing his combRunNGun07 is developing his combRunNGun07 is developing his comb
Default Re: ESPN article on Kenny Mckinley and O.J. Murdock

Was coming here to post this. It's on ESPN.com's front page. Such a tragic story...breaks my heart to read it.

RunNGun07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
eklypised
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1467
eklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPiteklypised rules the CockPit

I was coming to post this to. Good article...
eklypised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Slacker USC
OG

Male

CockyCash: 705
Slacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot materialSlacker USC is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Slacker USC

Brought back a lot of memories of #11 and how shocked and upset I was to learn of his death. Thanks for posting.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

great read, sad sad day when I found out Kenny died
Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Hopefully, Carlos able to satisfy his desire to make it to the NFL and play for his amigos. However, he should not value his self worth as lower in the case he doesn't.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

Two guys from South Carolina. Leaves me wondering why our guys?
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Powerful, very moving...
Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

wow, a lot of things running through my head. I will leave them unposted because Kenny was clearly a good guy, a popular guy.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb

Heart felt and touching.... Its Soooo Sad!!!

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material

Tough read, but necessary for all who loved Kenny.

Follow Gamecockology on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
MisterClowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

I went to espn.com and saw Kenny and OJ's faces in their USC jerseys....quite the shock to the system. I knew what I was in for but read the whole thing anyway. Still hurts.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
FeartheSpur
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 717
FeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPitFeartheSpur rules the CockPit

Best thing Espn has written in a long time, wish they never had to write this
FeartheSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Such a sad story. I was only able to read half of it.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

That article could be turned into one heck of an ESPN E:60 story.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #16
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Not gonna read. i will remember kenny in my own way.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #17
tkousc
4-Star

Male

tkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudlytkousc is crowing loudly

That was a sad sad read. I lived in South Quad next to East Quad in 2005. Saw FB and Bball players all the time. Still have those memories. RIP fellas.
tkousc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #18
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

What I took away from that - excluding the sad and unfortunate loss of great individuals - is that too many athletes aren't taught how to cope with failure. I have been there, an athlete with an injury and everything in life seems to be going wrong, but suicide isn't the answer. It's unfortunate that the NFL and colleges don't monitor players more for depression following injuries, especially the lower drafted players.

The NFL and other pro leagues need to start writing contracts in a way that money is placed into investments and not just handed to agents and player to be wasted. I know that they are adults and can do as they wish with the money, but many need the guidance and care they recieved growing up while learning the business side of sports.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #19
Sonofacock
Mothershouldibuilthedwall

Male

Sonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot materialSonofacock is USC mascot material

I remember hearing about this and having to leave the room
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
21-in-Right
Blue Chip

Male

21-in-Right has earned his spurs21-in-Right has earned his spurs21-in-Right has earned his spurs21-in-Right has earned his spurs21-in-Right has earned his spurs21-in-Right has earned his spurs21-in-Right has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
What I took away from that - excluding the sad and unfortunate loss of great individuals - is that too many athletes aren't taught how to cope with failure. I have been there, an athlete with an injury and everything in life seems to be going wrong, but suicide isn't the answer. It's unfortunate that the NFL and colleges don't monitor players more for depression following injuries, especially the lower drafted players.

The NFL and other pro leagues need to start writing contracts in a way that money is placed into investments and not just handed to agents and player to be wasted. I know that they are adults and can do as they wish with the money, but many need the guidance and care they recieved growing up while learning the business side of sports.
This is exactly right. I have a whole new perspective on professional sports. I thought for a long time that if they made a roster they were set for life. Wow, was that wrong! You only hear about the big $30M deals and not the guys who play for a year and a half and struggle for the rest of their lives. I'm glad this is getting exposed. It's long, long overdue.

It's unfortunate, however, that we have these simpletons out there who think it's as simple as "tough tackles equal brain injury equal suicide." There are so many other factors in play, and these stories are great examples of that.

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided."
-
Casey Stengel
21-in-Right is offline   Reply With Quote