CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
smoovecock
Sandstorm29
803scdantes
b381l
CoverTwo
Lonnie
rioninusc
The Yancey
gamecockphan
cockybreeyan
The Vent and Coachin (4963)
Disturbing comments (2419)
Gerald Turner (2164)
does anybody think w (2002)
2015 schedule is bru (1368)
UF lets Durkin go (1311)
2015 Early Enrollees (1036)
Bobo to Colorado St? (528)
The U ends apparel d (527)
Women's bb result - (364)
The Vent and Coaching cha
Spurrier Says "It Wa
does anybody think we wil
Brad Lawing USC / Florida
SOS...a day late & do
2015 Early Enrollees Thre
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
UF lets Durkin go
2015 schedule is brutal
Gerald Turner

Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #21
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit
Default Re: tex am is killing it

Theres no way they can possibly sign that many players, somebody's going to get some bad news soon
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
SR4-AJ1
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9708333
SR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudlySR4-AJ1 is crowing loudly

It's ok ladies and gents 2014 is looking to be a very good year for us instate. We are in good shape with a handful of good prospects and we can't forget our class this year is still a good one!!
SR4-AJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 1000076044
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR4-AJ1 View Post
It's ok ladies and gents 2014 is looking to be a very good year for us instate. We are in good shape with a handful of good prospects and we can't forget our class this year is still a good one!!
absolutely 2014 is the make or break year. If we get who we are supposed to, including Spain, and maybe an OOS "surprise" (Hand..wishful thinking)- we will be set for years. But if we fail and miss out on key recruits, it could set us back big time.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

The SEC has created a monster.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #25
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
I think it's crazy that we had 2 guys in for Officals, who then chose aTm days after the official. I wonder how many early enrollees they have? How many more guys are they going to take? What is the SEC penalty for oversigning in a class?
aTm will have greyshirts and early enrollees. They'll send out 25 LOIs just like every other SEC school.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #26
mick66
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Juquay Williams decision is easy to understand, though he is from GA, and there are lots of reasons for a recruit to pick A &M. That said, I've got the same feeling about Sanders' recruitment as I did about Finnie and McCord when they flipped or surprised everyone by picking Miami, and both of those guys were ultimately named in the reports concerning Miami's bagman. It's silly to think that there is something dirty every time a recruit pulls a surprise, but it will be interesting to see if anything ever comes to light on this one.
BTW, Texas A&M was named the #6 all time dirtiest program in college sports in the linked article. Not really a lot of recent stuff in there, so take it for what it's worth.
http://www.ncaagridirongab.com/2011/...etic-programs/
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #27
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 1000076044
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick66 View Post
Juquay Williams decision is easy to understand, though he is from GA, and there are lots of reasons for a recruit to pick A &M. That said, I've got the same feeling about Sanders' recruitment as I did about Finnie and McCord when they flipped or surprised everyone by picking Miami, and both of those guys were ultimately named in the reports concerning Miami's bagman. It's silly to think that there is something dirty every time a recruit pulls a surprise, but it will be interesting to see if anything ever comes to light on this one.
BTW, Texas A&M was named the #6 all time dirtiest program in college sports in the linked article. Not really a lot of recent stuff in there, so take it for what it's worth.
http://www.ncaagridirongab.com/2011/...etic-programs/

Why, because they had Connor Shaw with a bit better arm and the best OL in cfootball? Manziel's known much more for his running, all the highlights they ever show is him scrambling around. Don't see how he will make any WR better.. regardless tAMU already has commits/young players that are the same type of WR that Jaquay is. If he wanted early PT come here. Manziel will have a regression, that OL is going to take a major hit
Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #28
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudlyduff18 is crowing loudly

AM has always played second fiddle to UT and quite honestly has an inferiority complex. UT has cleaned up the last 10 years recruiting Texas, but they're coaching is not good. Mack Brown cannot coach. Muschamp was an idiot and still contend he is doing it with smoke and mirrors at UF with Meyer's players. I digress; AM is used to recruiting outside TX because of UT's dominance. I think they are making a tactical mistake by not making inroads in TX and start getting more of the top TX kids. Sanders is a nice player, but wonder if they should have kept some powder dry to make runs at players that seem enamored with UT. Seems AM is the bright shiny toy now, not UT.

I live in Houston and believe me, the attitude change away from UT to AM is palpable. UT fans are incredibly smug and they are not happy. AM should be hammering away in state. Sumlin will eat Mack Brown's lunch for a while.

You think AM is turning into a beast now? Watch them start dominating the TX recruiting scene and then we'll really see a beast emerge.
duff18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #29
Gamecock_girl_west
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot materialGamecock_girl_west is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
Why, because they had Connor Shaw with a bit better arm and the best OL in cfootball? Manziel's known much more for his running, all the highlights they ever show is him scrambling around. Don't see how he will make any WR better..
Really, known for his running...

Passing stats:
Total passing yards: 3419
Completion %: 68.3
Avg Pass Yds: 8.3

NCAA records:
Most games with 300+ passing yards and 100+ rushing yards, career (3)
FBS record: First freshman (and 5th player ever) in FBS history with 3,000 passing yards and 1,000 rushing yards, season

A&M Records:
Record for passing yards in a game with 453 against Arkansas on 9/29
The Third A&M quarterback to surpass 3,000 passing yards in a season.
10th in School Career Passing Yards

Looks like he is a really good passer. I think a WR would want to play with him.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #30
mike1520
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2000
mike1520 is sharpening his clawsmike1520 is sharpening his clawsmike1520 is sharpening his clawsmike1520 is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
aTm will have greyshirts and early enrollees. They'll send out 25 LOIs just like every other SEC school.
Technically -2 that I know of and -(x) any more EE they have.
mike1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
BigTex
Walk On

Male

BigTex has hatched from the shell

As a native Texan who went to USC, I thought I'd offer some objective perspective from someone who didn't grow up a USC fan.

USC will never recruit on par with the big boys of SEC. They don't have the national or historical tradition of the other powers and never will its just the way it is.

Being from Texas you ask LSU fans or AM fans who they fear, they tell you Florida or Georgia. They want to play us as an East team. Most say we're in our Bobby Knight Era. Comparing our situation as to when Knight went to Texas Tech and they had some success. We just arent viewed in that light even with our recent dominance. Hence most higher rated recruits don't view us as a real national contender either.

South Carolina has a great fanbase and supports the hell out of the cocks. But unfortunately its just not to the scale of the top tier teams and what they offer these athletes.

I'm enjoying this period while it lasts, I just wish we could beat LSU or AM and then I could talk some real smack.

So fans have some perspective and realize how we are viewed by kids from the rest of the country. Sorry to ruffle some feathers with this post. I just get tired of people's inflated expectations.
BigTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #32
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1520 View Post
Technically -2 that I know of and -(x) any more EE they have.
EE's don't sign LOIs though unless I misunderstood your post

Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #33
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

What is depressing is that with all of our facility upgrades, our recent success, our coaching "name", and SEC ties...

The swing in 4 star recruits is just wild. 7 teams have 3-4 TIMES MORE the amount of 4* commitments than those below them (including us).

Have we ever signed more than ten 4* in a year? That is business as normal for SoCal, Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, LSU, Bama, and FSU. I know we have to worry about ourselves and we keep saying "we need to get over trying to out-recruit" those schools...but why? It is impossible? We are trying to beat these teams year in and year out on the field.

I don't put everything in the * system, but it sure looks like we are relegated to the "middle class" for quite some time. If Florida State isn't being hurt by less than stellar seasons compared to the 90's along with a perceived very weak ACC...why can't we swing things in the other direction?

Hell, Vanderbilt's class is going to scale out near ours.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
What is depressing is that with all of our facility upgrades, our recent success, our coaching "name", and SEC ties...

The swing in 4 star recruits is just wild. 7 teams have 3-4 TIMES MORE the amount of 4* commitments than those below them (including us).

Have we ever signed more than ten 4* in a year? That is business as normal for SoCal, Ohio State, Texas, Georgia, LSU, Bama, and FSU. I know we have to worry about ourselves and we keep saying "we need to get over trying to out-recruit" those schools...but why? It is impossible? We are trying to beat these teams year in and year out on the field.

I don't put everything in the * system, but it sure looks like we are relegated to the "middle class" for quite some time. If Florida State isn't being hurt by less than stellar seasons compared to the 90's along with a perceived very weak ACC...why can't we swing things in the other direction?

USC will almost certainly never recruit on the same level as those schools

We acheive more with our recruits than fsu does with theirs..the end result is what matters imo

Franklin is turning vandy into a recruiting machine. He has an attractive city in Nashville, great academics, SEC, a talent rich area close by (Atlanta), and the same pitch Spurrier is using here (accomplish things that have never been done before etc..)
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #35
wincocks84
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 450
wincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervouswincocks84 is making other chickens nervous

25th on Scout..id say that is a step back
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #36
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Florida State has the state of Florida.

Florida, Georgia, LSU, and aTm have absurd amounts of talent in their state year after year. They'll be at the top of the SEC every year based off that alone.

Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee have to recruit nationally but all three (for the most part) are brand names that can do that.

Then you have USC, OM, MSU, and ARK that have to go different routes to get kids but even those schools have some things going for them that USC doesn't.

1) The Mississippi schools have a state that pumps out pretty good talent on a yearly basis. Not many years where their state isn't pretty solid. They also have the benefit of a big time JUCO in their own backyard that churns out talent.

2) Arkansas has Texas right next door. But they, like us, have to recruit strategically. Under Petrino, they didn't have pretty classes on paper but they had kids that fit their system and were able to get a few high profile kids to mix into their classes that were primarily 3 star based.

This is what South Carolina has to continue to do. Recruit to your system, evaluate well, do well instate, and recruit the major cities that are close in proximity to your school. This is the formula for success here guys because we don't have the luxury of some of these schools and we have to fight for what we want.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #37
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
Scout has hardly ever rated our classes really high.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #38
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post

Yes, it was the 2009 class(Rivals). There were 14 four stars. Only one school had more, I believe. However, the 2007 class was rated higher, though it less four stars.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #39
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
Scout is terrible. You can go back over the last 5 years and for whatever reason we are always ranked quite a bit lower on their site than on any other. Oh, and their web site looks like it's from 1997.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #40
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Scout has hardly ever rated our classes really high.

Yes, they have always rated USC's classes lower. That is because Scout is weaker in South Carolina. Some say Scout is better in basketball rankings anyway, so I wouldn't worry about Scout's rankings in football. 247 and Rivals are more likely to have seen the South Carolina players. When the Big Spur was with ESPN, ESPN ranked USC's classes higher probably because of the "know" factor. You have to have someone see the recruits play.
carolinacoast is offline   Reply With Quote