CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
kingofnerf
4Runner
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
QCB
Storm Of Spurs
CBS: SOS to Florida? (2916)
Juco QBs? (1002)
SDS grades the Furma (840)
we can STILL win the (772)
ND vs FSU Ending (742)
Auburn/USC point spr (622)
Whenever I Get Depre (611)
How do you want Aubu (441)
If the Head Ball Coa (410)
Mike Davis Stiff Arm (268)
Auburn/USC point spread
How do you want Auburn to
CBS: SOS to Florida?
Peyton Manning breaks Bre
Nick Saban on frustration
Williams and Mitch
Cann tipping plays?
If the Head Ball Coach re
well I'll be damned...Tex
SDS grades the Furman gam

View Poll Results: Who is the number one guy on your board?
Tyrone Crowder 12 13.64%
Larenz Bryant 16 18.18%
Kelsey Griffin 2 2.27%
Matt Rolin 25 28.41%
Michael Hill 8 9.09%
Na'Ty Rodgers 2 2.27%
Mike Williams 16 18.18%
Tyshon Dye 2 2.27%
David Williams 1 1.14%
MarQuez North 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #14981
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1373
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material
Default Re: What could our recruiters be doing better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
Our recruiting has been great this year... other than losing langley and rolin... everything is chill. Step off the ledge
Losing Sanders is a bummer. The guy was a silent last night as of 7 PM, then changed his mind in two hours to switch to aTm.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #14982
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Of course we are landing in the middle of the pack of recruiting in the SEC.

Without the various side attributes of programs thrown in, look at what we are up against.

Georgia - traditional power for decades, MNC, in a big state with no strong, in state rival team to recruit against them and take some of the top talent (GT is not a threat to them).

Tennessee - traditional power for decades, MNC, although they have struggled of late, spends more money than any other program in the nation on recruiting, still enough of a name to make a recruit think.

Florida - 20 years of being a power (the entire lifetimes for these recruits), huge state with some of the best talent in the nation, multiple MNC, several Heisman winners.

LSU - traditional power for decades, more than one MNC, in a state that produces good talent and no large in state rival to battle for recruits (Tulane, La Tech are no threats to them).

Arkansas - very solid program for decades, but not quite what I would term a powerful program like others in the SEC. Been to the SEC title game several times, won at least one, won a MNC, no other in state rival team to draw recruits away (Arkansas State is not a threat to them).

Auburn - been a powerful program for decades, off and on, though, multiple Heisman winners, won a MNC, part of arguably the biggest rivalry in the nation.

Alabama - traditional power for decades, legend of the "Bear", Heisman winner, many MNC, part of arguably the biggest rivalry in the nation, easily considered somewhere in the top three programs in the nation, currently have what many consider the best college coach in the nation.

A&M - solid program, located in one of the best football talent states in the nation and being able to dangle the allure of playing in the SEC to the talent in that state, current Heisman winner.

USC - traditionally average, at best, small state and population, one SEC East title in 20 years, only conference title is 1969 ACC, a HOF, Heisman winning coach, the third oldest coach in the nation at the top level of college ball, one Heisman winner in school history (long before these recruits were born), an in state rival that does well in another conference to draw away part of the in state talent (Clempson), never played in a BCS bowl.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #14983
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
Losing Sanders is a bummer. The guy was a silent last night as of 7 PM, then changed his mind in two hours to switch to aTm.
Yes, which again sounds odd to me. Especially during a dead period when no one from any school should be able to talk to the guy.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #14984
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
A top 15-20 class, which is where USC will finish, is not average. USC's recruiting, in a year where instate talent is again pretty soft, has been good. Yes, losing Langley and Rolin sucks, but that is life when you recruit against the power 6. Recruiting is a rollercoaster and USC is in a low right now. They'll finish strong.

If you take our bottom 5 commitments:

Martin - Rivals fringe 4 star (5.7) coming out of high school with LSU and Nebraska offers.

Sasser - Good offer list that includes Stanford. 4 star on ESPN.

Camara - Not the best offer list but the staff feels he is the best fit for our SPUR position. Going to trust evaluation here but the staff has proven they know what to look for more often than not.

Cooper - Shrine Bowl stud that plays way above his rating and probably could see more offers his way if he wanted to take some visits.

Vickers - Sign & Place that would have a stout offer list if he had a chance to qualify. He is a guy that'll take a big bump up next recruiting cycle.

And even if you didn't include Vickers, that would put JP Vonasheck on the list and he has a boat load of offers.

So really, yes moral sucks, but we got some really good players coming and USC will add a few more before NSD.
All of that makes sense until you factor in one teensy weensy variable...Clemson continues to outrecruit us. Explain that! They recruit to the ACC, versus the glamorous SEC. They're in the same state as we are, yet they still recruit the Southeast like gangbusters. Their head coach is a baby cheerleader, versus our PROVEN head coach. We finish a season with more impressive wins, and YET...and yet, we cannot even outrecruit our instate rival? Hmmm.

Also, we've all seen the report that SC ranks last in the SEC in recruiting investment. Some chalk it up to "cooking" the books, but it's starting to make sense....we just don't pour the money into our recruiting like any of the top 6 SEC teams. That sucks.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #14985
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
Of course we are landing in the middle of the pack of recruiting in the SEC.

Without the various side attributes of programs thrown in, look at what we are up against.

Georgia - traditional power for decades, MNC, in a big state with no strong, in state rival team to recruit against them and take some of the top talent (GT is not a threat to them).

Tennessee - traditional power for decades, MNC, although they have struggled of late, spends more money than any other program in the nation on recruiting, still enough of a name to make a recruit think.

Florida - 20 years of being a power (the entire lifetimes for these recruits), huge state with some of the best talent in the nation, multiple MNC, several Heisman winners.

LSU - traditional power for decades, more than one MNC, in a state that produces good talent and no large in state rival to battle for recruits (Tulane, La Tech are no threats to them).

Arkansas - very solid program for decades, but not quite what I would term a powerful program like others in the SEC. Been to the SEC title game several times, won at least one, won a MNC, no other in state rival team to draw recruits away (Arkansas State is not a threat to them).

Auburn - been a powerful program for decades, off and on, though, multiple Heisman winners, won a MNC, part of arguably the biggest rivalry in the nation.

Alabama - traditional power for decades, legend of the "Bear", Heisman winner, many MNC, part of arguably the biggest rivalry in the nation, easily considered somewhere in the top three programs in the nation, currently have what many consider the best college coach in the nation.

A&M - solid program, located in one of the best football talent states in the nation and being able to dangle the allure of playing in the SEC to the talent in that state, current Heisman winner.

USC - traditionally average, at best, small state and population, one SEC East title in 20 years, only conference title is 1969 ACC, a HOF, Heisman winning coach, the third oldest coach in the nation at the top level of college ball, one Heisman winner in school history (long before these recruits were born), an in state rival that does well in another conference to draw away part of the in state talent (Clempson), never played in a BCS bowl.
BRAT, BRAT...you're making an excellent argument for why we don't outrecruit the other SEC teams, but all of that doesn't mean squat when you consider we can't even outrecruit friggin' CLEMSON! Clemson for pete's sake. Something in our recruiting practices DOES need reevaluation, I'm sorry.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #14986
Gamecock Stock
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudlyGamecock Stock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
Why we'll never be elite? Because we can't recruit elite.

We've ridden the coattails of an amazing class in 2009 and the stars of the 2010 class. That core of the 09 class is now gone, and we are losing A LOT of talent on defense this year.

It's very frustrating to see 3* WALK ON's at Bama, and the top kids in the South constantly go to Bama, LSU, Fla and Georgia. But you know what separates us from them? When they want a kid? They CONSTANTLY go after him, recruiters left and right, official visits, unofficial visits, the head coach showing up at practices and games.

Spurrier can coach em up all he wants, but until he starts to do what Saban, Muschamp and Miles does, he'll come up short.
I remember watching a high school game on TV a few years ago. They showed Urban Meyer on the sideline. There is no secret to recruiting success. It takes putting in the time and being aggressive, rather than "laid back". With all the things we had going for us when we recruited Latti and Clowney, as I recall, we had to sweat it out all the way to the end before they said "yes" to Carolina. Why?

It's frustrating to have the kind of seasons we have had the past few years but, not capitalize on it in recruiting. I've seen recruiting rankings this year that have had Vandy, Ole Miss and Missisippi State ranked ahead of us. That should not happen.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #14987
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Yes, which again sounds odd to me. Especially during a dead period when no one from any school should be able to talk to the guy.
That is insanely fishy. If he had changed his mind for Ohio state then it would've made some sense. A&M virtually came out of nowhere. And they don't need him either on current roster or w/r/t incoming class.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #14988
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

I'm just glad our coaching staff isn't as enamored with star ratings as our fan base is. There is a lot to be said about actually assessing talent and character not to mention filling the needs of the team. Johnny Manziel was a 4.5 three star and he turned out pretty good. Isaiah Crowell and Michael Dyer were both a 5 star RB's and how did they turn out?

We are finally redshirting and developing talented players and gaining depth. While we may never recruit like Bama, LSU, and Florida that doesn't mean we can't beat those teams on the field. We have just come off our best back to back seasons in the history of this program and now fans on this board give us zero chances at winning the SEC. Damn!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #14989
ac_lanham
Recruit

Male

ac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spurs

So, based on what I saw, the aTm coaches visited with Sanders family while he was on the trip visiting us. Sounds like that may have sealed it. I hope we can finish strong because right now, we're getting hammered

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #14990
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_lanham View Post
So, based on what I saw, the aTm coaches visited with Sanders family while he was on the trip visiting us. Sounds like that may have sealed it. I hope we can finish strong because right now, we're getting hammered

during a dead period can you visit the recruits family?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #14991
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
I'm just glad our coaching staff isn't as enamored with star ratings as our fan base is. There is a lot to be said about actually assessing talent and character not to mention filling the needs of the team. Johnny Manziel was a 4.5 three star and he turned out pretty good. Isaiah Crowell and Michael Dyer were both a 5 star RB's and how did they turn out?

We are finally redshirting and developing talented players and gaining depth. While we may never recruit like Bama, LSU, and Florida that doesn't mean we can't beat those teams on the field. We have just come off our best back to back seasons in the history of this program and now fans on this board give us zero chances at winning the SEC. Damn!
While I agree with what you are saying, the frustrating part for our fans and ones that follow recruiting is that we are missing on guys that our staff WANTS, regardless of their star ranking. Rolin, Langley, Sanders, ect are all guys that the staff wanted. It's not a star thing at all
Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #14992
BuCockyfan
Two Deep

Male

BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post

If you're content on the chance of upsetting Bama, LSU or Florida every couple of years, then yes...our recruiting is going great.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #14993
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1918547116
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

Old 12-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #14994
ac_lanham
Recruit

Male

ac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spursac_lanham has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rh Gamecock
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_lanham

during a dead period can you visit the recruits family?
I think it was the day before the dead period started. Same day Tommy visited with us, Wallerstedt was visiting his family

Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #14995
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_lanham View Post

Wow...that explains a lot then. Sanders had chosen us, his Dad talked him into A&M and I really wonder what they told him to get him to do that. THAT is what we need to find out.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #14996
ac_lanham
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac_lanham

Wow...that explains a lot then. Sanders had chosen us, his Dad talked him into A&M and I really wonder what they told him to get him to do that. THAT is what we need to find out.
From an A&M site. "Over the weekend, Coach Wallerstedt visited with Tommy’s family while he was on his official visit to South Carolina. That sealed the deal for A&M. "

Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #14997
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

Losing Rolin was a failure of epic proportions. I know there are rumors to why he decommitted but I'm still pissed off about that one. And I know there are lots of people who disagree w me but he deserves every boo he can handle when we play Florida. All SC all year long, then BAM w one visit he switches. Keep your word bc that's all we really have in life. I hope he doesn't play one down of football for the gators. I really mean that
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
Old 12-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #14998
Makindough
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 280
Makindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPitMakindough rules the CockPit

how the hell is that even within recruiting guidelines...thats a BS thing to do if you ask me
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #14999
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuCockyfan View Post
If you're content on the chance of upsetting Bama, LSU or Florida every couple of years, then yes...our recruiting is going great.
Exactly.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #15000
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

...and people wonder how the NCAA rule book got so big. A&M did nothing wrong, but you would think that is not ethical in that it breaks the spirit and idea of fairplay in while the recruit should be concentrating all his attention on the school he is officially visiting, his family should be off limits during that same time span. This way, when he gets back home, instead of being able to get the full, undivided attention and feedback from his family and enjoy and share his excitement from the trip and experience, he faces a family freshly filled with counter information or excitement about another program, all but negating the kids time on his visit.

One of those "there ought to be a rule against this", but not likely to happen with the NCAA determined to shrink the rules. That is not always a good thing for schools are always trying to bend every rule they can to get an advantage.