CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
markp_vip
Gyle41386
Acockolypse Now
4gamecockfb
Lalli25
Thenardier
OscarTheGrouch
Women's bb - Deshiel (651)
Hope Springs Eternal (579)
Clemson's At It Agai (498)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (496)
Byron the bunny...fe (404)
Chico McClatcher- 20 (347)
How to cut the musta (270)
The #AskEmmert Q& (200)
Shameless self promo (181)
The Kentucky Bourbon (148)
The #AskEmmert Q&A Is
Larenz Bryant update?
Connor Mitch
Victor Hampton Arrested
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #1
Name a Gamecock
UK's Whitlow to transfer
Ahmed Hill (2014 Propsect
Joeckel Transfering from

Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #41
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material
Default Re: Ace Sanders Interview

Fwiw I played receiver and DB.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #42
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock1983 View Post
I don't really get that feeling from his comments there. But, after watching his body language and reactions when playing for both QBs at different points this season...I'm inclined to agree. When Connor is in, it's almost like the WRs start running sloppy routes b/c they don't expect to get the ball. Granted...Connor can deliver them the ball. But, is that really his first instinct?

Excellent observations, '83. Generally, a dual-threat QB's first instinct is to run - until he gets his clock cleaned a few times. Then he becomes indecisive. Happy feet, anyone? Now Shaw's own worst enemy is the neural pathway from his brain to his feet.

Next Receivers begin to ask themselves - 'If I'm not the primary, why bother?'

Next thing you know, the offense is playing defense - playing not to lose - and the defense is asking itself - 'WTF?'

And that pretty much sums up our year so far.

I hope Connor realizes he's got to sever the umbilical chord from his noggin' to his wheels and pick up his secondaries better. But if he doesn't, DT gives the team a better chance to realize its' potential.

Last edited by OldPat; 12-19-2012 at 11:16 PM.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #43
R.C. Christian
Recruit

Male

R.C. Christian is developing his combR.C. Christian is developing his combR.C. Christian is developing his combR.C. Christian is developing his combR.C. Christian is developing his combR.C. Christian is developing his combR.C. Christian is developing his combR.C. Christian is developing his combR.C. Christian is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Excellent observations, '83. Generally, a dual-threat QB's first instinct is to run - until he gets his clock cleaned a few times. Then he becomes indecisive. Happy feet, anyone? Now Shaw's own worst enemy is the neural pathway from his brain to his feet.

Next Receivers begin to ask themselves - 'If I'm not the primary, why bother?'

Next thing you know, the offense is playing defense - playing not to lose - and the defense is asking itself - 'WTF?'

And that pretty much sums up our year so far.

I hope Connor realizes he's got to sever the umbilical chord from his noggin' to his wheels. But if he doesn't, DT gives the team a better chance to realize its' potential.

Exactly ^
R.C. Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #44
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
This may be true....but tell me something. When we have seen Connor against a decent to bad defense on the road, has he played as well as Dylan did against Clemson? I don't care who starts.....just want to win. However, there is a strong case to be made for both.
Like Dylan at Vandy? I agree with your second point, strong cases can be made for both, and we should trust the coaches.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #45
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garoon View Post
Betting that someone played a specific position in football, leading to the idea that he doesn't understand an aspect of the game "very well at all" when you have neither met the man, nor ever seen him, is not "just making a point." It's making a passive-aggressive assumption. You could just ask him what position he used to play, or what at least the basis of what his opinion is.

Last I checked, SGF never claimed he knew everything there was to know about the game. He's another poster offering his insight, and readers can value it or believe it how they wish.

I've never understood why readers who don't agree with another poster's opinion or doubt their insight find it necessary to crusade against him and throw civility under the bus. In sports, it's called sportsmanship, and it's seen most commonly among players of the same team (or fans of the same team).
That is not what I was saying. I think it is stupid to assume StephonGilmoreFan cannot understand zone blocking because he played DB in HS. In fact, I find most of his comments around here spot on and I agree with him just about all the time . . . way more than I agree with Spurticus for example.

In this case, however, I did not. Consequently, I was just making a poor attempt at illustrating the absurdity of his claim that playing HS ball means you understand the game of football better than somebody who didn't play ball.

I bet if he thought about some of the dudes on the HS team that he played ball with he would agree that some of them really didn't get it all that well.

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #46
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

It has been discussed..Dylan is the type of QB Spurrier wants.
He throws to spots...Connor has been great for us with Lattimore running the zone read...but Lattimore is gone.

It isn't like Shaw has to ride the bench...with his athletic ability, he could move to receiver and give us another speedy option in the passing game.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote