CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
rabid cock
SanAntonioCock
uscnoklahoma
JaxcockFL
Master Bedroom
johnmcclane
Coondog
GregoryHouse
GamecockInHell
Morris to SMU (6635)
Venables to TAMU? (2252)
Clemson fans (1897)
Vegas line moving on (1673)
Carolina on a Walmar (1527)
Phil Kronblut show (851)
Women's Soccer Elite (804)
End of the aTm / LSU (753)
Have we been favored (602)
Arkansas... (594)
Venables to TAMU?
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Texans getting frustrated
Morris to SMU
Arkansas...
THE Vent and Coaching Cha
Anyone know what time and
2015 Commitment - Dexter
Vegas line moving on game
Coaching Carousel 2014/15

Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material
Default Forbes rates Spurrier 8th most powerful college football coach

I think he should be higher than some on the list....but....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...-head-coaches/

and South Carolina as the 17th most valuable...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...-still-on-top/
Old 12-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Cockyhard
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his combCockyhard is developing his comb
Default Re: Forbes rates Spurrier 8th most powerful college football coach

I dont know why but i would figure our football budget would have been higher.. just because of recent improvements in facilities ... or is that not included in that shown budget....

Is football season here yet???
Cockyhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

If true, then we've gone from being a top 6 program in value to 17th in a matter of two years. Doesnt seem like much good has come from that. It might also mean that our budget got raped the past couple years from the facilities and paying big bucks to our staff
Old 12-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
fbvolpb89
Recruit

Male

fbvolpb89 has feathers coming infbvolpb89 has feathers coming infbvolpb89 has feathers coming in

yeah I'm not sure how they calculate that. Our athletic department seems to be hitting around $80 million, unless we went down significantly this past year.

http://southcarolina.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1232604
http://www.businesspundit.com/the-12...ncaa-football/

I guess that counts the entire athletic department. Perhaps they are just calculating value from football or something.

I think this one is a little more accurate (from 2010-2011):
http://businessofcollegesports.com/2...partments-sec/

You can see we had little profit due to all of the improvements.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickerspl80 View Post
If true, then we've gone from being a top 6 program in value to 17th in a matter of two years. Doesnt seem like much good has come from that. It might also mean that our budget got raped the past couple years from the facilities and paying big bucks to our staff
I think that we dropped from 12/13 to 17. We were never #6.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
CockyHoskins
Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School

Male

Homecoming King/Queen: Award given to the poster we most want to meet at the next game - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to meet at the next game Best Non-Football Thread: Award given for starting the best non-football thread - Given for: starting the best non-football thread of 2005 (introductions are in order) 
CockyCash: 100500
CockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot materialCockyHoskins is USC mascot material
Send a message via Skype™ to CockyHoskins

Also, part of it is that we have stopped separating out Gamecock Club revenue into individual sports and now give it it's own line item. Thus, individual sports revenues go down accordingly.
CockyHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
I think that we dropped from 12/13 to 17. We were never #6.
Yea we were never number six.

And this is strictly football, not all athletics.

Basically the people at forbes come up with a number of how much it would cost if someone were to buy them.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

I thought i remembered us being in the top ten, i know we were right up the beside ND and TExas at one point and #17 is nowhere near where we were.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

nah we were #12

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Quote:
I thought i remembered us being in the top ten, i know we were right up the beside ND and TExas at one point and #17 is nowhere near where we were.
12 was the highest we've been.

#LukeForMod

Old 12-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
OLDCHARLESTONIAN
African Tater Game Hunter

Male

OLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his clawsOLDCHARLESTONIAN is sharpening his claws

Quote:
ND and Texas? I don't think we'll ever be right beside those two programs. Those are marquee collegiate athletic programs. Southern Cal, ND, Texas, FSU, Alabama, LSU, A&M. I'm missing a few, but I'm not sure South Carolina will ever be among those schools. We just don't have the national appeal like those schools do.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

He needs to take that power and sling it around the recruiting trail!

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

Thats right i remember now. Wish i was right about being in the top ten haha.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Our college football valuations use a weighted scoring system to measure the value created for four key areas. The four components, in order of weight, consist of each team's:
1. value to its university (football profit contributed to academic programming, including football scholarships),
2. value to its athletic department (football profit that supports other athletic initiatives),
3. value to its conference (distribution of bowl game revenue) and
4. value to the surrounding community (estimated spending by visitors on days of home games). Financial data is from the 2011-12 fiscal year, and we standardize revenues and expenses in order to account for differences in each school's method of reporting financial information to the Department of Education.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm4...uable-teams-4/
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDCHARLESTONIAN View Post
ND and Texas? I don't think we'll ever be right beside those two programs. Those are marquee collegiate athletic programs. Southern Cal, ND, Texas, FSU, Alabama, LSU, A&M. I'm missing a few, but I'm not sure South Carolina will ever be among those schools. We just don't have the national appeal like those schools do.
Alabama is the funniest one out of your list because they have around the same population as SC, but maybe more of their population is into football than ours. The other ones are in Huge populated states, and LSU is the only big school in its state.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Thats right i remember now. Wish i was right about being in the top ten haha.

so you can be right about this year's ranking not being good, and about our budget getting raped? I mean, a moment ago you were bemoaning about this stuff being bad news.....now you're wishing that it actually was?
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
OfficeLinebackerCock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1230
OfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I think he should be higher than some on the list....but....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...-head-coaches/

and South Carolina as the 17th most valuable...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...-still-on-top/

Just reading the headline, I'd bet someone with the intials "RM" is writing his diseratation right now on how coaches are "too powerful" and ESPECIALLY Steve Spurrier. LOL!!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

"In fact, the most viewed college football game this season occurred on a Thursday night before the kickoff to the NFL season: South Carolina’s win over Vanderbilt on Aug. 30. That game drew 4.1 million viewers."
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #19
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Alabama is the funniest one out of your list because they have around the same population as SC, but maybe more of their population is into football than ours. The other ones are in Huge populated states, and LSU is the only big school in its state.
Yea but the program has "14" national titles
There are more Bama fans around the country than Gamecocks.

#LukeForMod