CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
Spurticus
TAFC 5 1981
sanford
usc1
gamecockgal
Gamecockfanatic4
smoovecock
StormOfTalons
robgusc76
Top 10 Reasons Why T (2169)
Jaguars Justin Black (848)
Spurrier vs Saban (804)
Kansas to invest $75 (757)
When does fall pract (725)
An Air Algerie Fligh (279)
Frank Caliendo + Mor (268)
Anyone Switching to (259)
Expect A Healthy Dos (253)
Darth Vader 'Vette (191)
Signee James Thompson arr
Texags
Coach's media golf press
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2015 - Amonte Caban
Baseball Recruiting Threa
Places to eat in Conway?
Spurrier vs Saban
Another A&M aggie off

Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

CockyCash: 200
uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material
Default Convo on taternet

Clowney
bills61584 - Amateur [47 pts]
posted 12 hours ago
A buddy of mine that works for Clemson told me that the reason Clowney pushed his commitment announcement past signing day is because he wanted to go to Clemson but he had to wait to see if he could make it into school. The day he was denied admission, he called nick saban and Saban told him flat out no. That's when he called the coot coaches and committed to them. He apparently begged Clemson to take him but they wouldnt. Our admission standards need to change if we want to keep up with teams like LSU and Alabama. We are a Clowney away from being in the national championship this year and next. So blame it on the admissions
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
lilhornet
Great to be a Gamecock

Male

CockyCash: 25074528
lilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPitlilhornet rules the CockPit
Default Re: Convo on taternet

I've heard Clowney had genuine interest in Clemson but even with that he was a Gamecock.
lilhornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #3
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

Good God what a bunch of idiots. Do they really believe that cow college is so academically advanced that they won't accept top-notch football players? Hell, CJ Spiller and a whole laundry list of dimwits have gotten in and succeeded...even become Academic All-Americans (even under Clemsux's SUPER TOUGH standards).

Sour grapes and low intellect are a bad mix.

/thread.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

I think his mom wanted him to go to clemson... I remember hearing(I could be wrong) that he wanted to go clemson until the night before and he changed his mind.... Why would Nick Saban tell him no? that makes zero sense.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #5
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Clemson fans and media always say this but they will never give the details on any difference. Ask any of them what the difference in standards are and they can't tell you. Just another attempt at a moral victory since they haven't been getting it done on the field very much. Every year Clemson takes borderline signees. That is evidenced by the amount of players they send to prep and sign from prep. Their standards are no different than any other BCS conference schools with the exception of some Big East teams.

75CarolinaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

he was never going to clemson
Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

So Clowney couldn't get in to Alabama, but Clemson needs to lower it's standard to compete with Alabama? Makes total sense.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

CockyCash: 500
Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

I embrace this chain of events, because it just makes the story that much more sour for Clemson fans!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
Jdallen20
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 744
Jdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spurs

Yea, the notion that Clemson has "too tough" academic standards to allow certain big-time recruits to be accepted is absolute ludicrous. Are they seriously trying to convince people that a player like Clowney did not meet academic standards and THAT'S why he didn't go to Clem?.... SMH. I guarantee his transcript would have passed all standards for Clemson if he had decided to go there... as with any other school. I'm not that naive.

GET DOWN WITH THE CLOWN
Jdallen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #10
Cocky Ute
Walk On

Male

Cocky Ute is sharpening his clawsCocky Ute is sharpening his clawsCocky Ute is sharpening his clawsCocky Ute is sharpening his claws

Good hell.

I swear clemson is the byu of the East Coast.

JUST TODAY Jabari Parker (No.1 BBall recruit) committed to Duke and revealed that byu wasn't even in his top 3, their fan board (Cougarboard, go there if you wanna laugh yourself sick), erupted in throughs of "he wouldn't have worked here anyway." Their Beat writer tweeted the following "if Jabari didn't even consider BYU his best choice for spirituality then it's clear BYU didn't have much of a chance." their arrogance is astounding, much like clemson. Even this year, with Manti Te'o they said "He couldn't have gotten into byu anyway", when in fact, their idiot of a coach told him "You probably couldn't live the lifestyle here at byu."

I refer you to another post to further illustrate my point:

http://www.cockytalk.com/showpost.ph...68&postcount=4

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I just hope I am able to relay the similarities of the douchiness in the fan-bases, and to prepare you if ever you meet* one of these self serving, bigoted, holier-than-thou assholes.

*As a side note, byu fans from provo (or actually attended school there) are a different breed of fans than those who are Mormons and happen to be byu fans. The latter are akin to Catholics who are a fan of _____ team and also are ND fans.

Sorry, I'm done.
Cocky Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #11
GarnetBlack&Blue
Burp Guns and Trust Funds

Male

CockyCash: 110000
GarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot materialGarnetBlack&Blue is USC mascot material

That's so stupid, Clemson has, for all intents and purposes, the same admission standards as us for athletes...

for comparison, WVU and USF are 2 schools that standout as having very low academic standards for admission... neither one is really challenging for national championships (though WVU snuck in some BCS games as the champion of the TERRIBLE Big East)

on the other side, Stanford has very high standards, yet has been outstanding....
Old 12-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #12
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

I'm not 100% on this but I think Clemson accepts players with ncaa minimum required scores, not their normal standards, we don't take ncaa minimum. If I am correct, Clemson, and for that matter 'bama players are admitted by ncaa standards. Spurrier has lobbied for that with the admissions board arguing that athletes deserve the extra bump from time they sacrifice training and what they bring to the college.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:38 AM   #13
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Clowney would be a three year player at any school. Anything to the contrary is poppycock.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

CJ Spiller got into Clemson....i rest my case

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/messa...ageID=13358574

heres the thread.. crazy taters

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #16
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhornet View Post
I've heard Clowney had genuine interest in Clemson but even with that he was a Gamecock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
I think his mom wanted him to go to clemson... I remember hearing(I could be wrong) that he wanted to go clemson until the night before and he changed his mind.... Why would Nick Saban tell him no? that makes zero sense.
There was NEVER at any point in Clowney's recruitment that he had an
interest in going to Clemson. Clowney has stated that numerous times
before and after he signed to play here at USC.

The ONLY point where Clemson came up as a possibility was AFTER
he announced that he was going to wait until Feb. 14th (his birthday)
to make his decision, and would do it on ESPN who was having a
program on HS recruits / players. Shortly before NSD (Feb 2nd) he and
his mom made a visit to the Clemson campus, and his mom made the
public statement that she was impressed with Clemson's school and
with the Coaching staff (THAT WAS IT). She never said "I would like
for Jadeveon to play there" or "That is where I hope he choses to go".
JC never said anything about the visit other than..."It was a nice visit"

Clowney ended up announcing on Feb. 10-11th, a few days prior to
the National Broadcast date he had set because he said that he was
getting tired of the hype and the reporters and so forth and wanted to
get on with life. ..... After he made it offical, JC said that ESPN had
approached him about holding off on the decision until their National
Broadcast, AND THEY wanted him to include Clemson now as his
second choice for "Dramatic Effect" leading up to the announcment.
Until that time, Clemson was not even in his top 10 list of schools, and
they were never (NEVER) a consideration. Jadeveon was going to be
a Gamecock since his freshman year in HS.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Clowney couldn't "get" into Clemson, but Sammy Watkins with his profound intellect made it? Yeah, okay that makes sense....
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
There was NEVER at any point in Clowney's recruitment that he had an
interest in going to Clemson. Clowney has stated that numerous times
before and after he signed to play here at USC.

The ONLY point where Clemson came up as a possibility was AFTER
he announced that he was going to wait until Feb. 14th (his birthday)
to make his decision, and would do it on ESPN who was having a
program on HS recruits / players. Shortly before NSD (Feb 2nd) he and
his mom made a visit to the Clemson campus, and his mom made the
public statement that she was impressed with Clemson's school and
with the Coaching staff (THAT WAS IT). She never said "I would like
for Jadeveon to play there" or "That is where I hope he choses to go".
JC never said anything about the visit other than..."It was a nice visit"

Clowney ended up announcing on Feb. 10-11th, a few days prior to
the National Broadcast date he had set because he said that he was
getting tired of the hype and the reporters and so forth and wanted to
get on with life. ..... After he made it offical, JC said that ESPN had
approached him about holding off on the decision until their National
Broadcast, AND THEY wanted him to include Clemson now as his
second choice for "Dramatic Effect" leading up to the announcment.
Until that time, Clemson was not even in his top 10 list of schools, and
they were never (NEVER) a consideration. Jadeveon was going to be
a Gamecock since his freshman year in HS.

Exactly! JD had given USC a silent committment long before NSD. The players and coaches all knew he was comming and once the national media realised that Bama was no longer an option because JD's mother didn't want to travel so far to see him play Clemson suddenly became his other school out of nowhere. ESPN was the ones hyping all this up and Clemson was nothing more than a prop for ESPN to build up some drama with the #1 recruit in the country.

Every time Clemson looses a recruit there fan base twists it around to make it look like it was Clemson that turned them down. There delusional fan base just can't deal with the reality of top tier players not wanting to go there so they have make up story's like this in order to deal with the reality of missing out on these players.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCremedy View Post
I find it incredibly hard to read that damn site just for the fact that it so damn hard to navigate and you can only read one post at a time. Makes me even more appreciative of everything we have on Cockytalk.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

If Clowney wanted to go to Clemson, he would be there right now. Even if he didn't meet the regular standards for enrollment (which I've read somewhere that he did meet them), schools make exceptions for athletes all the time. If he was denied at Clemson, then called another coach, that coach (Saban or whoever) would have done all he could to get Clowney. You don't pass up a once in a generation player like Clowney regardless of who you are. This is just Clemson fans being delusional and butthurt.

For other examples of players not meeting academic requirements, look at Duke and Sean Dockery. There was a news story back when he played that pretty much said he couldn't even make it into community college, much less meet NCAA minimum requirements and definitely not Duke requirements. Yet, somehow he was still able to get into the school and play.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote