CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
robgusc76
B-G
Big Spur
SMOTFS86
Sandstorm29
The Yancey
kingofnerf
rabid cock
doubledribble
**USC vs. Coker GAME (3269)
2014 Subway Classic: (1594)
aTm demolishes Kyle (733)
Cocky at the Duck Co (702)
Ali Hospitalized Wit (619)
Really, REALLY glad (545)
Deer Hunting 2014 (370)
movers, furniture do (303)
Happy Winter Solstic (272)
Streaming nfl games (262)
QB Next Season?
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
Connor to be backup?
**USC vs. Coker GAME Thre
official UFC thread. (new
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
Ali Hospitalized With Pne
Question for those who ha
Really, REALLY glad he's
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #81
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

1. This isn't a rec league...you don't play them because they work really hard and are nice guys, you play the best available.

2. I still stand by that if you are playing two quarterbacks it's because neither can completely perform the tasks required ergo neither are perceived as complete quarterbacks.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #82
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallen20 View Post
Ah hah!! You sir are correct! Finally. Someone has the appropriate concern for our current QB situation. Can't you people understand that if we had a sure shot starter and leader he would undoubtedly be playing... every game... the whole game... no questions. I don't see AJ McCarron sharing snaps with his back up. I don't see Aaron Murray sharing snaps with anyone. Hey. These guys aren't Peyton Manning, but they have proven themselves amongst their peers as the best and start! WE NEED A GUY TO PROVE THEMSELVES. I'm so over all of this both will play crap. I'm sure our receivers are too. Chemistry between players is a real thing and it matters. In my opinion, Dylan Thompson has better leadership qualities, clearer vision, and a stronger arm. Shaw is more athletic and a better runner. I would like to think anyone with any football IQ would agree that Dylan has better QUARTERBACKING skills. He makes great decisions and make great throws to reinforce them. If his first read is not open, he will work through his progression, throw the ball, and scramble only if necessary. Shaw just seems to panic, tuck, run, juke, and pick up a few yards with his feet if his first read is not open. Yes, he does make big plays sometimes on the scramble (which presumably adds confidence of pseudo-success in his legs), but it is not acceptable when trying to win championships... That's what I want. I'm so over being 4th-6th best team in the SEC every year and going to a new years day bowl in Florida. That's a great accomplishment for a lot of teams, but it's not the goal for a program that hires Steve Spurrier and invest Millions of dollars to provide the best environment for winning. I'm ready to take the next step! I WANT A CHAMPIONSHIP.
You are very right on your analysis.
I think one "problem" is that a lot of fans (myself included) really like Shaw and his toughness he has shown, and want him to succeed.

But when you do a blind test and just look at it from a pure QB perspective, Dylan is the better QB...but Shaw is more athletic, and has won some big games in the SEC...Dylan hasn't won those games because he hasn't gotten the chance to play in them.

I also think Connor's hurt shoulder really effected him this year.

I say Dylan gets majority of snaps in the bowl game, and then we have an all out competition with a healthy Shaw, Thompson, Nosovitch and Mitch and may he best QB win in the spring.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Old 12-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #83
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Opposing teams adjusted to Shaw's style and reduced his effectiveness. His short passing style enabled defenses to defend him so Dylan comes in after Shaw's injury and hurls the ball deeper and this opened up USC's offense again.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #84
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallen20 View Post
Ah hah!! You sir are correct! Finally. Someone has the appropriate concern for our current QB situation. Can't you people understand that if we had a sure shot starter and leader he would undoubtedly be playing... every game... the whole game... no questions. I don't see AJ McCarron sharing snaps with his back up. I don't see Aaron Murray sharing snaps with anyone. Hey. These guys aren't Peyton Manning, but they have proven themselves amongst their peers as the best and start! WE NEED A GUY TO PROVE THEMSELVES. I'm so over all of this both will play crap. I'm sure our receivers are too. Chemistry between players is a real thing and it matters. In my opinion, Dylan Thompson has better leadership qualities, clearer vision, and a stronger arm. Shaw is more athletic and a better runner. I would like to think anyone with any football IQ would agree that Dylan has better QUARTERBACKING skills. He makes great decisions and make great throws to reinforce them. If his first read is not open, he will work through his progression, throw the ball, and scramble only if necessary. Shaw just seems to panic, tuck, run, juke, and pick up a few yards with his feet if his first read is not open. Yes, he does make big plays sometimes on the scramble (which presumably adds confidence of pseudo-success in his legs), but it is not acceptable when trying to win championships... That's what I want. I'm so over being 4th-6th best team in the SEC every year and going to a new years day bowl in Florida. That's a great accomplishment for a lot of teams, but it's not the goal for a program that hires Steve Spurrier and invest Millions of dollars to provide the best environment for winning. I'm ready to take the next step! I WANT A CHAMPIONSHIP.
I don't recall seeing AJ McCarron play over a half of football game after having
sustained a very sever injury to the back that resulted in fracture that
he had to play with the entire season AND FORCED NICK SABAN TO
START HIS BACKUP FOR A GAME OR TWO.
I don't remember seeing Aaron Murray limp around for three games on
a foot that was diagnosed as having been Fractured, AND Playing on that
foot for about three games until it got bad enough for Mark Richt to
pull out of the lineup and play the Backup.
Spurrier pulling Connor out of the lineup this season to play Thompson
had nothing to do with disipline or experimentation. Shaw played more
than 75% of this season with fractures in the back and foot, and STILL
went 8-2 for the season as the starter. Had Shaw not gotten hurt in the
first game of the season against Vanderbilt, Thompson never starts the
ECU game, or had Shaw not taken another shot from a Blitzing LB that
landed him on his back, Thompson doesn't play the majority of the
game against UAB. .... Had Shaw's foot not continued to have gotten
worse since injuring it against UT, and finally ended up limping through
the entire game against Wofford, Thompson doesn't start the Clemson
game.

I said it earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again with for Clarity.

"THE ONLY QB CONTROVERSY WITH THIS TEAM NOW IS THE ONE OUR
FANS TRY TO CREATE DUE TO PERSONAL FAVORITISM TOWARDS ONE
QB OVER THE OTHER" ....It has absolutely nothing to do with lack of
talent from our starter.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #85
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2178
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpockets12 View Post
I agree with Talon , Dylan deserves a taste of the pie .He has worked hard on improving himself . When needed he proved he could handle the job. Like I said earlier this season for the first time in USC history we have a dependable backup at QB position. I do not agree that reguardless the QB the offense is the same .Conner is more a short range gunner that is also a runner. Whereas Dylan is more of a long range bomber. IMO..This doubles the work for Mich. defense to prepare for.If the running game works you will see Conner, if we find weakness in pass protection I feel we will see more Dylan. anyway I would like to say, I think all our players deserve praise for thier effort this year. ....THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK AND THE EXCITEMENT YOU FILLED MY SATURDAYS WITH. For all our seniors I will be looking forward to seeing you on sundays. GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL WHAT EVER YOUR PATH.....
Spurrier does not agree with your scouting report. He has said several times that Connor throws a nice deep ball.

If you're looking for a distinction, Connor is slightly more inconsistent in using his checkdowns. DT seems to be somewhat better at scanning the field and finding receivers.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #86
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
I don't recall seeing AJ McCarron play over a half of football game after having
game.

talent from our starter.

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #87
highpockets12
Recruit

Male

highpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurshighpockets12 has earned his spurs

I agree with you .Conner is very capable of throwing deep.He is terrified of throwing a interception and should be. He will continue to improve his checkdown skills . I would like to say the OL is the problem,[ they do need to improve a lot ] but tompson is behind the same line so it has to be a matter of concentration. If only you could trust each player could handle his assignment. It is hard to look down field when you are looking around you for line penatration .Maybe trust =better concentration IDK...
Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #88
robgusc76
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

This will be interesting heading into spring practice. ESP if Dylan burns it up.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #89
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Meanwhile, while we all chirp and chatter like so many birds on a wire, Coaches Spurrier and Mangus have been consistently saying in their post-practice pressers that Shaw looks to be very healthy and is having solid practices throwing the ball. Hasn't said a lot about Thompson, but I also haven't seen any questions about Dylan being asked in the videos....
Old 12-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #90
1SCFanInPAUntilNow
Franchise Playa

Male

CockyCash: 9182821
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material

Shaw better throw the damn ball. No more of this garbage looking to run on over half of called passing plays. Dylan proves that standing in the pocket and throwing will work.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #91
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Would a healthy Shaw improve his passing? Yes but Dylan still has the better arm and he runs too. We can better utilize Ace and Ellington catching passes with Dylan in there. Dylan is also using the TE more. Shaw rarely used the TE.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #92
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Meanwhile, while we all chirp and chatter like so many birds on a wire, Coaches Spurrier and Mangus have been consistently saying in their post-practice pressers that Shaw looks to be very healthy and is having solid practices throwing the ball. Hasn't said a lot about Thompson, but I also haven't seen any questions about Dylan being asked in the videos....
Shaw might look solid during practice because during practice the HBC doesn't put up with Shaw looking to bolt on the first signs of pocket collapse, when he gets in the game he doesn't do what he does in practice. Shaw is too ingrained in the triple option and zone read offense, let him finish out his career at Carolina next year with this offense and then HBC can finally do what he has wanted to do for 8 years be a heavy pass team. Shaw wins us games no doubt but you know the HBC is chomping at the bit for a chance to do what he did at Florida.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #93
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
game.

talent from our starter.
THIS!!!!!!!!!

ďOf course, itís a bit of a jump, isnít it? I mean, erÖ chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You donít think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #94
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Bring back Gracia... LOL.. I am just kidding... Shaw has earned our respect. He has earned the starting job for the Bowl Game. Come spring practice let the best man win the job.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #95
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Shaw rarely used the TE.
That's so not true.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #96
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1999829275
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

This is normal for the HBC. And not just at USC
Old 12-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #97
ZenUSC
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterdude21 View Post
This is normal for the HBC. And not just at USC
It's not normal to have two QBs as good as Spurrier has.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #98
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

They are both excellent within their own style of play. The team will be great with either one. It's just a matter of who fits better with the other playmakers on the field.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #99
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudlyuscgamecocks88 is crowing loudly

I will be fine with either one. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Start Shaw, but also let Dylan play. Spring and summer practice will be interesting
Old 12-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #100
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

MAn I hope we don't lose this game.

If we do, it will be because one qb or the other did not play enough.

And the qb didn't get enough snaps will vary by the preference of the poster.

So please let us win this game.