CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
donbgamecock
taylorssc
El Cid Ranger
doubledribble
kingofnerf
ccured
Fight, win, kick a-- (1385)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1035)
The Gator Bowl wants (1023)
CFN prediction for a (936)
A simple defensive l (808)
USC will upset Aubur (804)
In-state QB talent (627)
This is War (399)
Texas athletic direc (390)
SEC Debate: Best can (352)
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
A simple defensive line &
In-state QB talent
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Old 12-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #41
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit
Default Re: Swearinger's draft status?

Really depends on the combine.

Those who say he can't be a safety because of his height, here's the link for Troy Polamalu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Polamalu

He's 5'10 and I think he's one of the best at SS.

Last edited by rioninusc; 12-21-2012 at 02:27 PM.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #42
Carolina Pride
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talonsCarolina Pride has developed his gaff and talons

CBS has him as a 3-4 round pick right now

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/FS
Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #43
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

DJ reminds me of William Moore from the Falcons in how physical he plays.. though Moore is a tad taller. I could see a physical team like Pitt or Baltimore taking DJ in the middle/late rounds. After seeing AA fall last year it is just too hard to predict DB's, especially a safety that is a 'tweener' for most teams
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #44
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
Really depends on the combine.

Those who say he can't be a safety because of his height, here's the link for Troy Polamalu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Polamalu

He's 5'10 and I think he's one of the best at SS.
Polamalu and Reed both ran 4.4ish time at DJ's age.

Bottom line - DJ needs to run a good 40 if he hopes to go before the 4th. Alshon was able to lower his 40 in a short span, however Alshon was able to drop weight to help his time. DJ needs to maintain his mass while still lowering his time.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #45
rioninusc
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 555
rioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPitrioninusc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Polamalu and Reed both ran 4.4ish time at DJ's age.

Bottom line - DJ needs to run a good 40 if he hopes to go before the 4th. Alshon was able to lower his 40 in a short span, however Alshon was able to drop weight to help his time. DJ needs to maintain his mass while still lowering his time.

If anyone can do it, it would be him. His work ethic is off the charts.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #46
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

What does he run?
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #47
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

My first thought was 5th/6th round, but could move up to the 4th round with a great combine/Senior Bowl showing.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #48
Reeser
Recruit

Male

Reeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his combReeser is developing his comb

Swearinger is a lot faster than y'all think he is. He'll be a 2nd rd draft pick. And you can tweet that!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #49
Stonecoldcock
Starter

CockyCash: 20001160
Stonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot materialStonecoldcock is USC mascot material

Yea, I seem to remember when they ran 40's over the summer testing with the S&C coaches back in DJ's freshman/sophomore years that he was listed in the top 5 fastest guys on the team. Now granted I'm sure those are hand times, but I was always surprised, cuz I was not expecting him to be one of the 5 fastest guys on the team. I don't know what his actual 40 is, but I think he's faster than a lot of guys think he is. I would not be surprised if he runs below a 4.45 (not saying he will, just that it wouldn't surprise me).
Stonecoldcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #50
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocks and Canes View Post
No he doesn't. Kiper is one of the worst in the business.
That's why he is on TV and radio every week and is making millions of $$$$$$$ every year because he doesn't know anything. You think Morrell on TBS is just as stupid.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #51
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Kiper knowig his stuff is highly debateable.

If Mel said that DJ needs to be faster to compete to a higher draft spot I can live with that but if he is calling him undersized then I have an issue.

Look at NFL rosters, there are plenty of S listed in the 5'11" 205-210 range.
It's a combination of things I mentioned in an earlier thread. Look, I'd like to see him drafted in the 1st round, but believe he won't go until day 3 at the best.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #52
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Man the guy can hit... Some one will take a chance on him
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #53
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

One thing he does have going for him is his reputation of being a hard hitter. I don't have a clue where he will be drafted, but hey, if E.Cook got a sniff with the Jets/Ravens, I can see DJ getting his due shot at the next level as well.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #54
Cigaro
I drink your milkshake

Male

CockyCash: 50092224
Cigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Pride View Post
CBS has him as a 3-4 round pick right now

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...nkings/2013/FS
That's about where I'd expect him to go come draft day.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #55
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 17972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

To me he looks like he runs a 4.5ish time, maybe a tad slower. He will get drafted. I'm guessing 4-5 rd.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #56
Kazak
4-Star

Male

Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
According to Kiper, he probably won't get drafted or maybe the last round. Says his best opportunity is special teams player. He doesn't have the measurables to play safety in the NFL....not fast enough, too short, and gets out of position too frequently. Roughly same answer from TBS.

Don't shoot the messenger.
I actually like Mel, but no scouting guru is right more than 70% of the time or so, and Mel is flat-out OFF on this one. He has hundreds of guys to evaluate for each draft...there's no way he has evaluated every play of Swearinger's season...but there WILL be some NFL assistant scouts who will do exactly that, and they will be stunned by the rare level of FEROCITY and TENACITY that we've all come to love. Swearinger will surprise some (including Mel) with his 40 time at the combine, I guarantee you. As others have noted, there are plenty of successful NFL safeties at DJ's height. Getting "out of position too frequently" is a problem that can be corrected with a year or two of training at the NFL level. The super-motor and aforementioned ferocity Swearinger has cannot be taught.

I predict he'll go somewhere during rounds 3 - 5. If I had to bet money, I'd go with round 4. And he'll play in the NFL for a long time.
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #57
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

The only thing Swag needs to worry about is how many damned fines he will mount up from his blow up hits. We all know how wussified the NFL has gotten.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #58
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

The same Kiper who takes money from college programs to tell their recruits that if they go to X school their stock will go up considerably?

The same Mel Kiper who was crapping on Alshon all off season and saying Stephen hill, Brian Quick, and AJ Jenkins were better pro prospects than AJ1? (None of whom have put up the same numbers as Alshon and most of whom haven't seen the field.)

This Mel Kiper?

Kiper is a Schmuck.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote