CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
SC Sandlapper
B-G
Gamecocks1137
ConwayGamecock
Interesting quotes f (2086)
Have you ever been s (1313)
Tennessee Offense Br (830)
Key for 2015 defense (802)
Women's Team Ranked (534)
Skai Moore out for U (488)
This season and recr (449)
Lebron makes Clevela (355)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (244)
For all the uniform (205)
Skai Moore out for UT
2016 - Jovan Kinlaw
Uniforms for Tenn
***2014 Carolina Panthers
Have you ever been so wro
BLACK OUT!!!!!!!
We're going to the NCAA T
Season Tickets
Key for 2015 defense
Women's Team Ranked #2 In


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time
 
GamecockSuperFan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,326
CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

http://smartfootball.com/quarterback...e-spurrier-way

If your interested in how SOS coaches up his QB's it's a pretty good watch.. 2 videos of Spurrier demonstrating some QB fundamentals in the florida days.

He mentions that his QB's do not get sore arms throwing because they are taught to pass the ball with a natural throwing motion. He says in the video Shane Matthews in 3 years never had a sore arm.. and shane says "Yep, not once". I thought that was sort of interesting because I remember hearing about Connor having a sore arm from throwing so much in summer or spring which ever it was.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Next Year
Synthetica
 
Next Year's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gamecock Nation
Posts: 2,468
CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Steve spurrier has coached a lot of people into becoming quarterbacks
__________________
Hang in there!
Next Year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #3
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time
 
GamecockSuperFan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,326
CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Yes... yes he has.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 23,009
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

But none of them have become good NFL QB's. I may be missing somebody, but I don't think so.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
#7Clowney
4-Star
 
#7Clowney's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 299
CockyCash: 500
#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous#7Clowney is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

The only reason is we don't get good qb prospect, now we have Mitch and we will know how good SOS could teach a qb
#7Clowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
BlakelyH19
Blue Chip
 
BlakelyH19's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Posts: 573
CockyCash: 500
BlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPitBlakelyH19 rules the CockPit
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

is it just me or does he look like steve sinise from csi ny in this video?
__________________
"Forever to thee" Go Cocks!!
BlakelyH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #7
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time
 
GamecockSuperFan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,326
CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
But none of them have become good NFL QB's. I may be missing somebody, but I don't think so.
(bare with me through this long post) I love the strategic side of football and tend to go in full detail with the explanations sometimes.

Your probably thinking of Grossman. He was OK in the NFL but your right. I had just typed up a brief explanation as to why I thought some of them didn't quite work out in the NFL, and why his offense in general didn't really seem to work out but some of my same points were made in the article below so I refrained from typing more than I needed to.
http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/20...re-in-nfl.html


The article has a point when it states that spurrier's passing game had a lot of "Run n Shoot" principles. Which is that it allowed the WR's to make adjustments to their routes on the fly based on the coverage the WR's saw. Basically making it the right pass play every time if they read it properly. This is common now in today's game for most college offenses, but when the run n shoot was in it's early stages through the 80's in the USFL (which is likely where spurrier picked it up being as he was with the tampa bay bandits during that time) most of the teams running it were basically passing and scoring at will. All this did though was leave their defenses out on the field & allowed the opposing team to play keep away. What set the Fun n gun apart from any old typical Run n shoot offense was the balance between the run and pass and the playaction off of that. Spurrier simply just found a way to make the Run n shoot a more productive offense by creating balance. So throw in a bunch of fast little florida receiver's making route adjustments on the fly based off the coverage they see, the threat of the run with a good in between the tackles runner just enough to get defenders to still bite on the playaction, and a defense on the other side that could hold it's own with the best of them and you had a formula for serious success. Its really not that much different from what he's doing right now if you think about it. I think he's had to re-evalute his philosophy just a little based off the personnel he's been dealt which is what all great coaches must do. In today's game when teams like clemson for example are trying to score as quick as possible, it's in his offenses best interest to slow the tempo down, let the defense rest & wear out a defense over the course of a game. The important factor now as it was back at his days at florida though is still the balance between the run and pass! When Spurrier is on his A game playcalling this is what you see. When he's not it's usually because we're doing too much of one or the other. Throwing too much and not running, or being too conservative and not passing enough.

Last edited by GamecockSuperFan; 12-20-2012 at 05:03 AM.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
GREENVILLE COCKPIT
Injured Reserved
 
GREENVILLE COCKPIT's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GREENVILLE
Posts: 413
CockyCash: 32257
GREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPitGREENVILLE COCKPIT rules the CockPit
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

I thought Gary Sinise was on that show
__________________

Last edited by GREENVILLE COCKPIT; 12-20-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: misspelled
GREENVILLE COCKPIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 23,009
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
(bare with me through this long post) I love the strategic side of football and tend to go in full detail with the explanations sometimes.

Your probably thinking of Grossman. He was OK in the NFL but your right. I had just typed up a brief explanation as to why I thought some of them didn't quite work out in the NFL, and why his offense in general didn't really seem to work out but some of my same points were made in the article below so I refrained from typing more than I needed to.
http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/20...re-in-nfl.html


The article has a point when it states that spurrier's passing game had a lot of "Run n Shoot" principles. Which is that it allowed the WR's to make adjustments to their routes on the fly based on the coverage the WR's saw. Basically making it the right pass play every time if they read it properly. This is common now in today's game for most college offenses, but when the run n shoot was in it's early stages through the 80's in the USFL (which is likely where spurrier picked it up being as he was with the tampa bay bandits during that time) most of the teams running it were basically passing and scoring at will. All this did though was leave their defenses out on the field & allowed the opposing team to play keep away. What set the Fun n gun apart from any old typical Run n shoot offense was the balance between the run and pass and the playaction off of that. Spurrier simply just found a way to make the Run n shoot a more productive offense by creating balance. So throw in a bunch of fast little florida receiver's making route adjustments on the fly based off the coverage they see, the threat of the run with a good in between the tackles runner just enough to get defenders to still bite on the playaction, and a defense on the other side that could hold it's own with the best of them and you had a formula for serious success. Its really not that much different from what he's doing right now if you think about it. I think he's had to re-evalute his philosophy just a little based off the personnel he's been dealt which is what all great coaches must do. In today's game when teams like clemson for example are trying to score as quick as possible, it's in his offenses best interest to slow the tempo down, let the defense rest & wear out a defense over the course of a game. The important factor now as it was back at his days at florida though is still the balance between the run and pass! When Spurrier is on his A game playcalling this is what you see. When he's not it's usually because we're doing too much of one or the other. Throwing too much and not running, or being too conservative and not passing enough.
I was aware of Grossman being a Redskins fan. I guess I was thinking of someone else. I think Marcus convinced him why running was just as important as passing. In the NFL, his lack of preparation especially with blocking and pass protection were eventually his downfall as the article says. But his lack of talent was obvious and not entirely his fault with Synder at the helm. Really good post, thanks.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
JT21
#Team Good QB Play
 
JT21's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,192
CockyCash: 500
JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Slightly off-topic but if you haven't read that guy's book (Chris Brown, the writer of that blog) The Essential Smart Football, do it. It includes a chapter on Spurrier, basically saying what is said in the post above.

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Smar...smart+football
__________________


ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time
 
GamecockSuperFan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,326
CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

yeah I haven't got around to getting that book but I think I might just order it now being that it's christmas and all.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take
 
ConwayGamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Conway, SC
Posts: 10,295
CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENVILLE COCKPIT View Post
I thought Gary Sinise was on that show
I think he's thinking about CSI Toledo....Steve is on that one.....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
markymark550
Bowl MVP
 
markymark550's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 2,089
CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
I was aware of Grossman being a Redskins fan. I guess I was thinking of someone else. I think Marcus convinced him why running was just as important as passing. In the NFL, his lack of preparation especially with blocking and pass protection were eventually his downfall as the article says. But his lack of talent was obvious and not entirely his fault with Synder at the helm. Really good post, thanks.
I think Erric Rhett and Fred Taylor would probably have more to do with convincing him than Marcus. Those two put up probably close to 8,000 yards rushing combined and were very important to the success of Spurrier's offenses at UF. Even here at Carolina, he hasn't been shy about wanting to establish the run. We just didn't have the backs or offensive line to do it consistently until just recently.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #14
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time
 
GamecockSuperFan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,326
CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Like I mentioned in that long post above.. it was the run game that actually made those offenses at Florida go because of the balance.. they threw a little bit more, but the threat of the run was always there. Just enough to still get defenders to cheat up and get burned deep on the play action.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #15
BuCockyfan
Two Deep
 
BuCockyfan's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Greenville
Posts: 1,081
CockyCash: 500
BuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his combBuCockyfan is developing his comb
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Elephant in the room.....

Quarterbacking the Spurrier way hasn't worked in a decade.
BuCockyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
b381l
Heisman Winner
 
b381l's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 23,009
CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Quarterbacking The Steve Spurrier Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
I think Erric Rhett and Fred Taylor would probably have more to do with convincing him than Marcus. Those two put up probably close to 8,000 yards rushing combined and were very important to the success of Spurrier's offenses at UF. Even here at Carolina, he hasn't been shy about wanting to establish the run. We just didn't have the backs or offensive line to do it consistently until just recently.
This is true. I was just referencing the association to Carolina.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development