CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
Outland
taylorssc
b381l
Latt7more
gadeneer1986
WeStillOwnUSC
Grit_And_Steel
lake-cityCOCK89
Does South Carolina (1564)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (841)
Rest of the season p (825)
Tennessee Game Time (610)
Tennessee kickoff an (602)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (532)
Is Clowney back toni (460)
Just thought of some (433)
Let us clarify some (370)
Let us clarify some thing
Miss St. defense
Why is everyone anticipat
How do you want Auburn to
Bruce Ellington's First T
Official NHL 2014-2015 Se
How did we not make it.
Thoughts on the basketbal
Nick Saban on frustration
CBS: SOS to Florida?

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #101
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Nosovich is ib the mix now..
Old 12-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #102
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
But when you do a blind test and just look at it from a pure QB perspective, Dylan is the better QB...but Shaw is more athletic, and has won some big games in the SEC...Dylan hasn't won those games because he hasn't gotten the chance to play in them.

I also think Connor's hurt shoulder really effected him this year.

I say Dylan gets majority of snaps in the bowl game, and then we have an all out competition with a healthy Shaw, Thompson, Nosovitch and Mitch and may he best QB win in the spring.
yes, the only test that shows dylan as the better qb would have to be blind.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #103
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

My last post in the "QB" discussion going forward:

The program is to the point right now that I haven't seen it in my lifetime
with the QB position. We have two QBs that could play for ANY program
in this country and both could START for a majority of them. We have two
guys behind them that might take what we have now up to a greater level.

At this point, I myself do not care who starts and who is the #2 and
#3 ..... As I've made known, I have a favorite. I admire Connor Shaw's
effort, his willingness to wait until has chance, and most of all, I admire
what he's done since he took over. HOWEVER, simply because he is the
one of the group that I'd like to see running the offense, if one of the
others beats him out for the starting job, I'll enjoy watching them do
a better job on the field and win for us here. There will be no posts on
this board from me questioning whether Spurrier started the right guy
or not, nor will I post anything that paints the backup QB in a negative
manner to make an argument that Shaw should be under center. I
hope for all he's done and gone through for three years, Shaw can end
his career as a Gamecock as the Starting QB, but if he gets beat out
for a better QB, THAT'S THE ONE WHO SHOULD BE RUNNING THE OFFENSE.
And it'll be good watching the guy who Spurrier feels gives us the best
shot at winning, run it. Good luck to all the guys and may the best
of the group win the starting job. Right now the best of THIS group
will be one hell of a QB.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #104
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SCFanInPAUntilNow View Post
Shaw better throw the damn ball. No more of this garbage looking to run on over half of called passing plays. Dylan proves that standing in the pocket and throwing will work.
At least against teams that have poor secondaries.

Shaq Attack
Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #105
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

RphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervous

Dylan is a prime example of someone who came in and truly learned from the master on how to play QB- its amazing how far he has come.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #106
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
At least against teams that have poor secondaries.
The fact that he will at least throw the damn ball on a passing play is an improvement over Shaw. Anyone can post high completion rates and QB efficiency ratings if they only throw the ball 5 yards to someone that doesn't have a defender within 15 yards of him. Let's not forget that Shaw's leading receiver, Marcus Lattimore...the guy that received two passes from Shaw when we had 50-something seconds to go 70-something yards against LSU ...isn't going to be playing in this one. Unless Kenny Miles has a 15 reception day expect to see a lot of Connor Shaw hot dogging in this one.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #107
roosterdude21
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 9941
roosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot materialroosterdude21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
It's not normal to have two QBs as good as Spurrier has.
Good problem to have
Old 12-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #108
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RphBallCoach View Post
Dylan is a prime example of someone who came in and truly learned from the master on how to play QB- its amazing how far he has come.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #109
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
The fact that he will at least throw the damn ball on a passing play is an improvement over Shaw. Anyone can post high completion rates and QB efficiency ratings if they only throw the ball 5 yards to someone that doesn't have a defender within 15 yards of him. Let's not forget that Shaw's leading receiver, Marcus Lattimore...the guy that received two passes from Shaw when we had 50-something seconds to go 70-something yards against LSU ...isn't going to be playing in this one. Unless Kenny Miles has a 15 reception day expect to see a lot of Connor Shaw hot dogging in this one.
Man, are you out of touch with reality.

Shaq Attack
Old 12-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #110
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

i try my hardest, most of the time, to come on here and not belittle anyone, or insult their comments. but it seems to be an impossible task. how can some of you read an excellent post like spurticus posted just above, and still make idiotic comments like the ill informed one just below?

Quote:
ok einstein, since you post a comment about shaw having such a great completion percentage being due to him throwing five yard passes, do you want to explain why he has a better yards per pass rating than thompson? maybe you want to explain how they can have such a close yards per completion average, and yet shaw has a nearly 20 percent higher completion percentage than dylan? or maybe you can explain why connor's qbr is much better than dylan's? finally, keep in mind while trying to come up with an answer, that shaw played with a fractured scapula all season, and a fractured foot/high ankle sprain for the last third of the season.
"expect to see a lot of Connor Shaw hot dogging in this one." hot dogging? really? you just might be the least informed poster on this entire board! seriously, get a clue.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #111
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
My last post in the "QB" discussion going forward:

The program is to the point right now that I haven't seen it in my lifetime
with the QB position. We have two QBs that could play for ANY program
in this country and both could START for a majority of them. We have two
guys behind them that might take what we have now up to a greater level.

At this point, I myself do not care who starts and who is the #2 and
#3 ..... As I've made known, I have a favorite. I admire Connor Shaw's
effort, his willingness to wait until has chance, and most of all, I admire
what he's done since he took over. HOWEVER, simply because he is the
one of the group that I'd like to see running the offense, if one of the
others beats him out for the starting job, I'll enjoy watching them do
a better job on the field and win for us here. There will be no posts on
this board from me questioning whether Spurrier started the right guy
or not, nor will I post anything that paints the backup QB in a negative
manner to make an argument that Shaw should be under center. I
hope for all he's done and gone through for three years, Shaw can end
his career as a Gamecock as the Starting QB, but if he gets beat out
for a better QB, THAT'S THE ONE WHO SHOULD BE RUNNING THE OFFENSE.
And it'll be good watching the guy who Spurrier feels gives us the best
shot at winning, run it. Good luck to all the guys and may the best
of the group win the starting job. Right now the best of THIS group
will be one hell of a QB.
excellent post!!! i will strive not to use negativity about dylan, when trying to support shaw. even though i usually preface it with a positive about dylan, i have been guilty of this, only in the effort to make a point for shaw, but none the less, i feel your points are better in the end.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #112
Cigaro
I drink your milkshake

Male

CockyCash: 50092224
Cigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxcockFL View Post
Florida's passing offense is ranked 114 in the nation, one spot above Ga Tech, below some notable teams such as Maryland, Auburn, and Kentucky

That is what Florida will tell you.
...Florida didn't even use multiple quarterbacks this year. This is what I am talking about;

Old 12-23-2012, 01:58 AM   #113
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
ok einstein, ... you just might be the least informed poster on this entire board! seriously, get a clue.
Seriously, I just love it when posters resort to name calling and insulting the intelligence of others in their posts. It almost always means that they have no psychiatric or self esteem issues of their own and that their facts are in order and can stand on their own. Aren't you the guy that posts a month after the fact on games? I have been in Willie-B every time that we have played there but once for the past 16 years. I don't have to rely on hearsay, I am there and I see it. I dvr the games and watch them over, but, I don't have to rely on that. I have a clue for you...your physical location isn't the only thing that is out on an island.

Thompson is better at running Spurrier's offense than Shaw. Shaw is good, and has been successful, at operating a watered down version of it. Shaw is the better athlete of the two, but he is not the better QB. I appreciate all that Shaw has done for us. I like Shaw. I have met him and talked with him several times. I have even met his parents and hung out with them some pregame. I am glad that he is a Gamecock. But none of this makes him the better QB of the two. I have seen the open receivers that he has missed. I have seen him operate the 'two minute offense' against LSU. I saw the first play of the Florida game. I have seen how Spurrier acts and reacts both when Shaw is in there and when Thompson is in there. I have heard Spurrier ask if "Connor got hit on the head or something" during the post game interviews. The difference between these two can be compared to the differences between Ellis Johnson and Lorenzo Ward. One in each group will win but drive you nuts doing it, and the other in each group will win playing a more complete game. In about 10 days we'll see how it all plays out. Going by past events, you should have your vhs of the game by February, and be posting your insightfulness to enlighten us by March.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:10 AM   #114
ZenUSC
Two Deep

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Both of Shaw's injuries came while running out of passing plays. If Shaw wants to play more he will have to cut down on scrambling. If he continues to run he will have to watch Dylan Thompson start because Shaw is going to get hurt. This was the rag on Shaw early on. Could he stay healthy? Well not if he runs out of every pass play.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #115
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Seriously, I just love it when posters resort to name calling and insulting the intelligence of others in their posts. It almost always means that they have no psychiatric or self esteem issues of their own and that their facts are in order and can stand on their own. Aren't you the guy that posts a month after the fact on games? I have been in Willie-B every time that we have played there but once for the past 16 years. I don't have to rely on hearsay, I am there and I see it. I dvr the games and watch them over, but, I don't have to rely on that. I have a clue for you...your physical location isn't the only thing that is out on an island.

Thompson is better at running Spurrier's offense than Shaw. Shaw is good, and has been successful, at operating a watered down version of it. Shaw is the better athlete of the two, but he is not the better QB. I appreciate all that Shaw has done for us. I like Shaw. I have met him and talked with him several times. I have even met his parents and hung out with them some pregame. I am glad that he is a Gamecock. But none of this makes him the better QB of the two. I have seen the open receivers that he has missed. I have seen him operate the 'two minute offense' against LSU. I saw the first play of the Florida game. I have seen how Spurrier acts and reacts both when Shaw is in there and when Thompson is in there. I have heard Spurrier ask if "Connor got hit on the head or something" during the post game interviews. The difference between these two can be compared to the differences between Ellis Johnson and Lorenzo Ward. One in each group will win but drive you nuts doing it, and the other in each group will win playing a more complete game. In about 10 days we'll see how it all plays out. Going by past events, you should have your vhs of the game by February, and be posting your insightfulness to enlighten us by March.
Have you saw Dylan play a good defense close to what Connor has & play good against them?
Connor is the better QB. Do you not think if Dylan was he would be starting?

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #116
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Cocky 2001- are you a comedian? All you did was make me laugh a few times.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #117
GamecockInHell
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 3574
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I think Dylan has the stronger arm. And I think Shaw is hesitant to throw the ball unless the guy is wide open, which means that many times the receiver has to wait on the ball instead of getting it in stride. And I think that Shaw knws he can run and if he doesn't see a guy wide open he's going to run.
I also think that Dylan has no hesitancy in throwing to the spot where the play is supposed to be. BUT, he has been really lucky that several mis-thrown balls haven't been intercepted. I never want to see it, but I wonder how quick he would be to throw after throwing a couple of ints during a game because the receiver didn't get to his spot like he was supposed to.
I say Shaw starts but they get equal time in practice and Dylan gets to play some, amount varying depending on effectiveness of both. If Shaw is lighting it up, then Dylan should get some meaningful grabage time. If Shaw struggles we should have a great alternative.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 AM   #118
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
...Florida didn't even use multiple quarterbacks this year. This is what I am talking about;

UF used Burton back there a lot. It is the same kind of stuff MI will do with Robinson, except Robinson, if healthy, is a much bigger passing threat.

Quote:
I like Shaw. I have met him and talked with him several times. I have even met his parents and hung out with them some pregame. . . .
I call BS on this. Link some pictures or it didn't happen.

"I like Shaw". What a load.

Shaq Attack
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #119
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 461300
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

IMHO We are in a great situation. No matter who SOS decides to play, we have a capable backup ready and waiting. The starter will be pushed to maintain an edge. Next Year, we will have 4 capable of being the starter...Wow what an advantage to have
Old 12-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #120
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

After reading some of the posts in this thread, I really, REALLY hope that Connor or DT doesn't read them. Especially Connor.