CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Rebel4ever
Spurrier_Superior_On
NinjaSven
usc90grad
BlueEagles06
AtlGAMECOCK
eatlighting
cockybusiness2
Team Garcia
Carolina-Beez
**USC vs. Vanderbilt (3621)
Gameday in Columbia (1402)
ECU is a good team (907)
Alabama vs Florida. (855)
Stadium improvement (806)
Lammons out (764)
Why we'll dominate C (746)
UGA is running over (472)
Where to Watch the G (439)
Mizzou-Hoosiers (412)
**USC vs. Vanderbilt GAME
Watch Online?
Why we'll dominate Clemso
Mizzou-Hoosiers
ECU is a good team
Gameday in Columbia
Why is hope solo still pl
Alabama vs Florida.
Places to watch Carolina
NCAAF: NORTH CAROLINA @ E


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #121
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild
 
JTsecSC's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mordor
Posts: 496
CockyCash: 500
JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
The fact that he will at least throw the damn ball on a passing play is an improvement over Shaw. Anyone can post high completion rates and QB efficiency ratings if they only throw the ball 5 yards to someone that doesn't have a defender within 15 yards of him. Let's not forget that Shaw's leading receiver, Marcus Lattimore...the guy that received two passes from Shaw when we had 50-something seconds to go 70-something yards against LSU ...isn't going to be playing in this one. Unless Kenny Miles has a 15 reception day expect to see a lot of Connor Shaw hot dogging in this one.
Wouldn't passing to a man w/o a defender 15y around a good thing? Seems like a great candidate for 15 yards.
JTsecSC is offline  
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #122
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"
 
M.C.'s Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denver, NC
Posts: 12,009
CockyCash: 200
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
We knew this weeks ago. Is there some sort of new news?
always hating
__________________



All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline  
Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #123
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK
 
snoopcockycock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Qamea Island, Fiji
Posts: 2,645
CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
Seriously, I just love it when posters resort to name calling and insulting the intelligence of others in their posts. It almost always means that they have no psychiatric or self esteem issues of their own and that their facts are in order and can stand on their own. Aren't you the guy that posts a month after the fact on games? I have been in Willie-B every time that we have played there but once for the past 16 years. I don't have to rely on hearsay, I am there and I see it. I dvr the games and watch them over, but, I don't have to rely on that. I have a clue for you...your physical location isn't the only thing that is out on an island.

Thompson is better at running Spurrier's offense than Shaw. Shaw is good, and has been successful, at operating a watered down version of it.
i agree............................................. ............with sc455! i think you are a comedian, and find most, if not all of what you write absolutely hilarious. i didn't insult the intelligence of others, they insulted their own intelligence, and i just pointed it out. and you might want to go back and read your second sentence, as i think you meant to say the opposite.
yes, i am the guy "that posts a month after the fact on games". because i live in the tropic's, in one of the most beautiful places on earth. but, paradise has drawbacks, and technology is one of them. so what's your point. because i decided to do something adventurous with my life, i shouldn't be allowed to comment on a game later then the week of...? we discuss things that happened in the past all the time on here. again, what's your point?
i don't believe your stated attendance record, and i don't believe you've ever met (anything more than crossing paths) shaw or his family. sounds like you're just spouting off, like the rest of your post.
you think thompson is the better qb to run sos offense, AGAINST THE DECISION OF A HALL OF FAME/NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING COACH (AND HEISMAN WINNING QB), and you think i'm the one out on an island? yes, sc455 had it right, you are a comedian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsecSC View Post
Wouldn't passing to a man w/o a defender 15y around a good thing? Seems like a great candidate for 15 yards.
thank you for posting this, as i forgot it. first thing i was thinking when reading his absurdities. hmmmmmmm! should i try to throw it between three defenders to make cocky2001 happy, or throw it to the guy wide open for a twenty yard gain? oooooh man, this is a tough decision, what should i do?

classic jt! points coming.
__________________
snoopcockycock is offline  
Old 12-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #124
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK
 
snoopcockycock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Qamea Island, Fiji
Posts: 2,645
CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I think Dylan has the stronger arm. And I think Shaw is hesitant to throw the ball unless the guy is wide open, which means that many times the receiver has to wait on the ball instead of getting it in stride. And I think that Shaw knws he can run and if he doesn't see a guy wide open he's going to run.
I also think that Dylan has no hesitancy in throwing to the spot where the play is supposed to be. BUT, he has been really lucky that several mis-thrown balls haven't been intercepted. I never want to see it, but I wonder how quick he would be to throw after throwing a couple of ints during a game because the receiver didn't get to his spot like he was supposed to.
I say Shaw starts but they get equal time in practice and Dylan gets to play some, amount varying depending on effectiveness of both. If Shaw is lighting it up, then Dylan should get some meaningful grabage time. If Shaw struggles we should have a great alternative.
a very good post, and probably one of the best points (in bold) of the entire thread.
as to your first comment, i believe dylan does have the stronger arm while shaw has a fracture in his scapula. furthermore, i believe that also has a lot to do with why connor is hesitant sometimes. but i will always take a qb who takes care of the ball, over one who gives it away constantly.
and yes, it would be very interesting to see how willing dylan is to throw into coverage after getting intercepted several times in one game, as he should have been in the clemscum game.
__________________
snoopcockycock is offline  
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #125
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American
 
crowcutta's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: land de la rich
Posts: 8,006
CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

we did drive it down for the td that put the game away the ensuing drive after he threw the int, but it was a run heavy drive. i dont have a huge problem with any of dylan's misthrows in the clemson game. the good news on the deep pass to byrd is it would have essentially been a punt, bad news is it was 1st and 10 at our 46. the pass to rory that should have been picked, rory slipped on the play though it wasnt a great throw. some of his mistakes i think he can correct with better fundamentals and experience, but i feel good with either qb. hopefully shaw is healthy for the bowl game so he isnt thinking about the injury when he runs.
crowcutta is online now  
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #126
Cocky2001
Blue Chip
 
Cocky2001's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 792
CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
i
i don't believe your stated attendance record, and i don't believe you've ever met (anything more than crossing paths) shaw or his family. sounds like you're just spouting off, like the rest of your post.
Your choice to believe this is really irrelevant. Yancey that posts on this board and I tailgated together for years so he can verify some of this, others that post here can verify the rest. Just because I am usually much more of a lurker on this site than poster doesn't mean much either. Fact is, I don't lie and I am in that stadium when we are playing. I see us play and I experience the nuances every week. I have lived in several other states but came back here because I didn't have to go several thousand miles away to find 'excitement.'

But all of that aside, Thompson is still the better QB of the two.
__________________
"Fear causes hesitation,
And hesitation causes
Your worst fears
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline  
Old 12-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #127
SimpleGamecock
Recruit
 
SimpleGamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atl
Posts: 182
CockyCash: 500
SimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

I have put together the stats from this year's game between Connor and Dylan. I have looked at the completions each QB completed between the RBs, WRs & TEs per game. I did not include UAB & UF because both Connor and Dylan played.

Connor: RB WR TE
Vandy- 3-21/3-36/1-20
Mizzou- 10-96/6-102/5-54
UK- 4-25 /8-76/3-47
GA- 2-24/3-124/1-14
LSU- 4-23/11-102/4-52
UT- 3-17/11-180/9-166
AR- 3-44/8-144/3-62
WOF- 5-42/11-80/0
AVERAGE- 4-37/8-106/3-52

Dylan:
ECU- 3-36/15-256/4-90
CU- 4-48/17-236/2-26
AVERAGE- 4-42/16-246/3-58

I know the first thing people will say is the defenses Dylan played vs. Connor. Let's take Connor's 2 best passing days UT and AR and look at their National ranking for Pass Defense and compare them to Dylan's 2 starts.

Connor:
UT-113th in the nation
AR-116th in the nation

Dylan:
ECU- 110th in the nation
CU-82nd in the nation

For those who say Dylan's success is attributed only because of the opponents he played anyone is not fair to say. The offense seems to open up more with Dylan behind center than with Connor. As for completion percentage that stat is a bit misleading considering Dylan has not gotten the majority of the snaps during practice (that I am aware of may not be true) and has had less time to gel with the first team offense.

Please note I am ecstatic with the W/L record the team has had when Connor starts. My only concern is that next year with the starters we are losing on defense we might need to rely more on the offense early on. If that is the case we are going to need to see more consistent play from our QB which presumably will be Connor. In Dylan's 2 starts so far he has shown more of a willingness to trust the system (and players) that Spurrier and the assistants have put together, as Spurrier says he doesn't call pass plays for the QB to run them.
SimpleGamecock is offline  
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #128
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC
 
JAYBEZ's Avatar
 
Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Mill
Posts: 4,462
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Some of you seem waaaay to emotionally invested in this. The university pays a guy a lot of money to coach this team. The first couple years Spurrier was here, I did a lot of what I read here. I would get upset with one player over the other, or specific play calling. But a few years back I developed trust in spurriers decisions.

I don't care which QB plays. Whoever gets the go is going to be the best option, and if they arent getting it done, spurrier will have the backup ready.

So, how about we all agree to disagree on who your favorite QB is, because your opinion really won't matter in the grand scheme.

Now, on to things we actually can control before we have some gamecock on gamecock crime here.
__________________
JAYBEZ is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #129
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK
 
snoopcockycock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Qamea Island, Fiji
Posts: 2,645
CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
I have lived in several other states but came back here because I didn't have to go several thousand miles away to find 'excitement.'
i found plenty of excitement while living in cola town. but sporadically though out the past, and for the last decade, i have lived in the most exotic places around the world. it isn't just about excitement, it is more about expanding horizons. learning other languages, cultures and civil diversities. thousands of people pay thousands of dollars to travel to the places i live for just a few days. so while the technology in these places is definitely lacking, there are a plethora of other reasons why i am thousands of miles away.

all that aside, connor is not only the better qb in my opinion, but more importantly the opinion of the only one who counts, coach steve spurrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBEZ View Post
So, how about we all agree to disagree on who your favorite QB is, because your opinion really won't matter in the grand scheme.

Now, on to things we actually can control before we have some gamecock on gamecock crime here.
too funny!
__________________
snoopcockycock is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #130
me4USC
Blue Chip
 
me4USC's Avatar
 
Female

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: N/A
Posts: 877
CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Two of Thompson's incomplete passes against Clemson should have been caught. He put them right in the hands of the receivers. No one has even addressed the touchdown he made that was called back because of a penalty call on Robinson (I think). He has never thrown an interception that cost us anything, and he has won on the road in the most hostile environment a Gamecock QB can play in - Clemson. When Shaw won against Clemson, it was at WBS. Shaw has been terrible on the road.

I think they will battle it out in the spring for the starting spot. I also think that if Shaw doesn't play extremely well in the first quarter of the Outback, it will be Thompson's game from there on out. SOS doesn't plan to lose the bowl game.
me4USC is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #131
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC
 
uscgamecocks88's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 3,221
CockyCash: 500
uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
Two of Thompson's incomplete passes against Clemson should have been caught. He put them right in the hands of the receivers. No one has even addressed the touchdown he made that was called back because of a penalty call on Robinson (I think). He has never thrown an interception that cost us anything, and he has won on the road in the most hostile environment a Gamecock QB can play in - Clemson. When Shaw won against Clemson, it was at WBS. Shaw has been terrible on the road.

I think they will battle it out in the spring for the starting spot. I also think that if Shaw doesn't play extremely well in the first quarter of the Outback, it will be Thompson's game from there on out. SOS doesn't plan to lose the bowl game.
All 3 of his loses as a starter have been on the road- at Arkansas, LSU, Florida.
uscgamecocks88 is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #132
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip
 
gripitandripit2007's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florence SC
Posts: 803
CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGamecock View Post
I have put together the stats from this year's game between Connor and Dylan. I have looked at the completions each QB completed between the RBs, WRs & TEs per game. I did not include UAB & UF because both Connor and Dylan played.

Connor: RB WR TE
Vandy- 3-21/3-36/1-20
Mizzou- 10-96/6-102/5-54
UK- 4-25 /8-76/3-47
GA- 2-24/3-124/1-14
LSU- 4-23/11-102/4-52
UT- 3-17/11-180/9-166
AR- 3-44/8-144/3-62
WOF- 5-42/11-80/0
AVERAGE- 4-37/8-106/3-52

Dylan:
ECU- 3-36/15-256/4-90
CU- 4-48/17-236/2-26
AVERAGE- 4-42/16-246/3-58

I know the first thing people will say is the defenses Dylan played vs. Connor. Let's take Connor's 2 best passing days UT and AR and look at their National ranking for Pass Defense and compare them to Dylan's 2 starts.

Connor:
UT-113th in the nation
AR-116th in the nation

Dylan:
ECU- 110th in the nation
CU-82nd in the nation

For those who say Dylan's success is attributed only because of the opponents he played anyone is not fair to say. The offense seems to open up more with Dylan behind center than with Connor. As for completion percentage that stat is a bit misleading considering Dylan has not gotten the majority of the snaps during practice (that I am aware of may not be true) and has had less time to gel with the first team offense.

Please note I am ecstatic with the W/L record the team has had when Connor starts. My only concern is that next year with the starters we are losing on defense we might need to rely more on the offense early on. If that is the case we are going to need to see more consistent play from our QB which presumably will be Connor. In Dylan's 2 starts so far he has shown more of a willingness to trust the system (and players) that Spurrier and the assistants have put together, as Spurrier says he doesn't call pass plays for the QB to run them.
I have saw both guys in practice against the first team D & with our first team O & it is very clear Connor is the better QB...healthy or not...he has proven better. Like I have stated before...both Connor & Dylan have played bad D's this year...and Connor has done better against the bad D than Dylan...and beat a better defense than Dylan. And one more thing...if you are going to point out a "misleading stat"...don't you think the defensive rankings are gonna be off according to the teams they play? Tennessee & Arky have played much better O's than ECU & Clemson
__________________




WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #133
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik
 
CoverTwo's Avatar
 
Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 35,003
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

This bickering will have a lot more merit if Connor doesn't run Coach's offense the way he wants it when he is healthy. The leash will be tighter. As much as coach loves Connor he is doing the same thing he did to Mitchell, Smelley, and Garcia. Try to push them over the top by making them improve their weaknesses. Connor can't lose his job bc of injury but he can lose it if healthy and continuously pulling the ball down again.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #134
Next Year
Synthetica
 
Next Year's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gamecock Nation
Posts: 2,468
CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Healthy Shaw > Healthy Shaw/Dylan > Healthy Dylan > Injured Shaw > Tajh Boyd
__________________
Hang in there!
Next Year is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #135
SimpleGamecock
Recruit
 
SimpleGamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atl
Posts: 182
CockyCash: 500
SimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
I have saw both guys in practice against the first team D & with our first team O & it is very clear Connor is the better QB...healthy or not...he has proven better. Like I have stated before...both Connor & Dylan have played bad D's this year...and Connor has done better against the bad D than Dylan...and beat a better defense than Dylan. And one more thing...if you are going to point out a "misleading stat"...don't you think the defensive rankings are gonna be off according to the teams they play? Tennessee & Arky have played much better O's than ECU & Clemson

I agree with Cover Two when Connor is healthy then we will see how the Offense looks. I agree overall Arkansas & Tennessee have played tougher teams but you have to take into consideration that the talent should be evaluated to their respective conferences and when you look at Tennessee' stats they allowed 496 yards to Troy and over 300 three seperate times. Arkansas gave up 417 yards to ULM, 397 to Rutgers, 498 to Texas A&M so I am not sure their ranking is all that misleading.

Either way I am excited about the Bowl Game and I will be down there to cheer on Connor, Dylan and the rest of the Gamecocks
SimpleGamecock is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #136
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC
 
trapper82's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 4,599
CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGamecock View Post
I have put together the stats from this year's game between Connor and Dylan. I have looked at the completions each QB completed between the RBs, WRs & TEs per game. I did not include UAB & UF because both Connor and Dylan played.

Connor: RB WR TE
Vandy- 3-21/3-36/1-20
Mizzou- 10-96/6-102/5-54
UK- 4-25 /8-76/3-47
GA- 2-24/3-124/1-14
LSU- 4-23/11-102/4-52
UT- 3-17/11-180/9-166
AR- 3-44/8-144/3-62
WOF- 5-42/11-80/0
AVERAGE- 4-37/8-106/3-52

Dylan:
ECU- 3-36/15-256/4-90
CU- 4-48/17-236/2-26
AVERAGE- 4-42/16-246/3-58

I know the first thing people will say is the defenses Dylan played vs. Connor. Let's take Connor's 2 best passing days UT and AR and look at their National ranking for Pass Defense and compare them to Dylan's 2 starts.

Connor:
UT-113th in the nation
AR-116th in the nation

Dylan:
ECU- 110th in the nation
CU-82nd in the nation

For those who say Dylan's success is attributed only because of the opponents he played anyone is not fair to say. The offense seems to open up more with Dylan behind center than with Connor. As for completion percentage that stat is a bit misleading considering Dylan has not gotten the majority of the snaps during practice (that I am aware of may not be true) and has had less time to gel with the first team offense.

Please note I am ecstatic with the W/L record the team has had when Connor starts. My only concern is that next year with the starters we are losing on defense we might need to rely more on the offense early on. If that is the case we are going to need to see more consistent play from our QB which presumably will be Connor. In Dylan's 2 starts so far he has shown more of a willingness to trust the system (and players) that Spurrier and the assistants have put together, as Spurrier says he doesn't call pass plays for the QB to run them.
How did Dylan do against Vanderbilt? Was that factored in?
trapper82 is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #137
SimpleGamecock
Recruit
 
SimpleGamecock's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atl
Posts: 182
CockyCash: 500
SimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
How did Dylan do against Vanderbilt? Was that factored in?
I didn't because it was such a small sample, the reason I took out the Fla and UAB game is because both played multiple series/quarters.
SimpleGamecock is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #138
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC
 
trapper82's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 4,599
CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGamecock View Post
I didn't because it was such a small sample, the reason I took out the Fla and UAB game is because both played multiple series/quarters.
It may be a smaller sample, but it was a critical showing of Connor's leadership. I for one love that we have two qbs we can use to win games, and trust that Spurrier knows which one is the best to play.
trapper82 is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #139
Cocky2001
Blue Chip
 
Cocky2001's Avatar
 
Male

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 792
CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGamecock View Post
I didn't because it was such a small sample, the reason I took out the Fla and UAB game is because both played multiple series/quarters.
And because Dylan actually received some meaningful practice time against the others? Against Florida he didn't receive much and we didn't gameplan for UAB so he didn't really get much there.

One knock on Thompson right now would be that it takes him a series or two to get settled down so if he only goes in for one series you're pretty much punting putting him in. But once he gets warmed up...
__________________
"Fear causes hesitation,
And hesitation causes
Your worst fears
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline  
Old 12-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #140
me4USC
Blue Chip
 
me4USC's Avatar
 
Female

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: N/A
Posts: 877
CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Thompson is a red-shirt sophomore. That means he will actually graduate next year. If he reads this message board, I wouldn't blame him at all for not staying his red-shirt senior year. The kid has worked his butt off and improved more than anyone ever thought he would. Clemson die-hard fans expect him to go to the NFL, but Gamecocks want to kick him to the curb.

But that's okay, right? Nosovitch and Mitch will be the Second Coming.
me4USC is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Provided by SLB Development