CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
GarnetBlack&Blue
2000grad
JerseyBird
Acockolypse Now
NinjaSven
WeStill0wnUSC
Regalcock
Spurrier_Superior_On
gromweat
Nick Chubb (6385)
Spurrier Presser (1990)
All of our defensive (1845)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1659)
Cack's Toast of the (1603)
Uniform thread (1569)
Rankings (1466)
3-4 "D" Ke (1219)
Will Devin ever suit (1030)
Update: Brison Willi (880)
Update: Brison Williams i
Men's soccer vs. Clemson
Over reacting?
Best Store bought Spaghet
2016 - Rozelle Nix
Not a talent issue
2015 Commitment - Shameik
No Fun League Strikes Aga
Kenny Hill arrested
Gamecock football Long Te

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #141
palanca
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
palanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
Healthy Shaw > Healthy Shaw/Dylan > Healthy Dylan > Injured Shaw > Tajh Boyd
lol!

I think there is a WORLD of difference between the two proposed quarterbacks.

Shaw is a Vick, Thompson is a Manning

As effective multi-tasking is a myth, planning for either of these guys, for our offense or for the Michigan defense, is a serious challenge.

Dylan has earned the start. Let's plan on it.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #142
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by palanca View Post
lol!

I think there is a WORLD of difference between the two proposed quarterbacks.

Shaw is a Vick, Thompson is a Manning

As effective multi-tasking is a myth, planning for either of these guys, for our offense or for the Michigan defense, is a serious challenge.

Dylan has earned the start. Let's plan on it.
I think those comparisonsare are acomparable bit of hyperbole.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #143
palanca
Banned

Male

palanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervouspalanca is making other chickens nervous

Not hyperbole.
Exageration to make a point
Old 12-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #144
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by palanca View Post
Not hyperbole.
Exageration to make a point
What if Shaw is more of a Steve Young, or a Drew Brees, or a Russell Wilson. The guy can pass, a lot better than Vick could in college. So while I see your point, I don't agree personally.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #145
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 900000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I've tried to read most of this thread, and with that said, I'm not at all that sure that Dylan's arm is so much more superior to Connors. But, he seems to see the field better, and he damn sure ain't afraid to pull the trigger.
In the end, I'd love to see some significant time for him against the Wolverines. It'd help me see things a little clearer
Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #146
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

All Connor needs to do is consistently see the field. Sometimes he does and makes great plays, sometimes he doesn't and it leads to a visor throw.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #147
Loathor
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 570
Loathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGamecock View Post
I have put together the stats from this year's game between Connor and Dylan. I have looked at the completions each QB completed between the RBs, WRs & TEs per game. I did not include UAB & UF because both Connor and Dylan played.

Connor: RB WR TE
Vandy- 3-21/3-36/1-20
Mizzou- 10-96/6-102/5-54
UK- 4-25 /8-76/3-47
GA- 2-24/3-124/1-14
LSU- 4-23/11-102/4-52
UT- 3-17/11-180/9-166
AR- 3-44/8-144/3-62
WOF- 5-42/11-80/0
AVERAGE- 4-37/8-106/3-52

Dylan:
ECU- 3-36/15-256/4-90
CU- 4-48/17-236/2-26
AVERAGE- 4-42/16-246/3-58

I know the first thing people will say is the defenses Dylan played vs. Connor. Let's take Connor's 2 best passing days UT and AR and look at their National ranking for Pass Defense and compare them to Dylan's 2 starts.

Connor:
UT-113th in the nation
AR-116th in the nation

Dylan:
ECU- 110th in the nation
CU-82nd in the nation

For those who say Dylan's success is attributed only because of the opponents he played anyone is not fair to say. The offense seems to open up more with Dylan behind center than with Connor. As for completion percentage that stat is a bit misleading considering Dylan has not gotten the majority of the snaps during practice (that I am aware of may not be true) and has had less time to gel with the first team offense.

Please note I am ecstatic with the W/L record the team has had when Connor starts. My only concern is that next year with the starters we are losing on defense we might need to rely more on the offense early on. If that is the case we are going to need to see more consistent play from our QB which presumably will be Connor. In Dylan's 2 starts so far he has shown more of a willingness to trust the system (and players) that Spurrier and the assistants have put together, as Spurrier says he doesn't call pass plays for the QB to run them.
Connor's best two games were not Tennessee and Arkansas... His two best games under center, this year, were Georgia and Missouri. While he had more yards in the UT and Ark games, his performance against UGA and Mizzou were far superior. And those two Ds are 27th and 60th, respectively.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:27 AM   #148
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathor View Post
Connor's best two games were not Tennessee and Arkansas... His two best games under center, this year, were Georgia and Missouri. While he had more yards in the UT and Ark games, his performance against UGA and Mizzou were far superior. And those two Ds are 27th and 60th, respectively.
Good point.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #149
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
It seems for some that the only measure of success for a QB is yardage. This is why you see so much effort into discounting completion percentage, QB ratings and defensive ratings.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #150
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

ZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPitZenUSC rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
I've tried to read most of this thread, and with that said, I'm not at all that sure that Dylan's arm is so much more superior to Connors. But, he seems to see the field better, and he damn sure ain't afraid to pull the trigger.
In the end, I'd love to see some significant time for him against the Wolverines. It'd help me see things a little clearer
Thompson made a pass across the field in the Clemson game that required great arm strength. The announcers remarked on it. This was a pass Shaw can't make. Thompson does have a stronger arm.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #151
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
Thompson made a pass across the field in the Clemson game that required great arm strength. The announcers remarked on it. This was a pass Shaw can't make. Thompson does have a stronger arm.
I've seen Shaw make the same pass several times. You are wrong about Shaw's arm.

Shaq Attack
Old 12-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #152
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
I've seen Shaw make the same pass several times. You are wrong about Shaw's arm.
When has he threaded a 28 yard square in between 3 defenders? Or drilled a deep post between 2 defenders?

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 12-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #153
walk.daddy
sings for money

Male

CockyCash: 533
walk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot materialwalk.daddy is USC mascot material

There are passes that Shaw makes 2-3 times a year that Dylan has made 2-3 times a game. Shaw is a good qb but he doesn't have the arm to beat top flight defenses like LSU and other SEC powers. If we didn't have such a great defense the last couple of years then we would just have another 7-8 win football team.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #154
ElectricCock
Fear The Thumb, Clemson

Male

CockyCash: 200516
ElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot materialElectricCock is USC mascot material

I think Shaw is awesome because I've watched that 2011 Clemson bomb to Bruce like, 900 times, compared to the rest of his throws, so its hard-wired in my mind that Shaw is a beast.

I hope that made sense
Old 12-25-2012, 04:23 PM   #155
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. His two best games of his career are ut and aeky. ut was his first shoot out. Where he out gunned tyler bray. He actually made some great throws. Some DT type throws.

in thr uga game he only threw 10 passes. And completed 6. But he threw two ints that were snatched outta their guys hands. They were badly thrown passrs. In thr mizzu game hr played ojay. Did what he was told. But most of his passes were short dump offs. Nothing really impressive.

The quailty of passes he made aganst ut and arky were a lot higher then the short throes he made aganst uga and mizzou.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #156
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
When has he threaded a 28 yard square in between 3 defenders? Or drilled a deep post between 2 defenders?
Off the top of my head, I remember him drilling Alshon through two Clemp defenders for a 4th qtr TD in the 2011 game, and in the same game, he hit Bruce on a deep post for a TD. That is just one game.

Shaq Attack
Old 12-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #157
pantera17
Banned

Male

pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Off the top of my head, I remember him drilling Alshon through two Clemp defenders for a 4th qtr TD in the 2011 game, and in the same game, he hit Bruce on a deep post for a TD. That is just one game.
I wouldnt call that pass drilling. Ball had a lot of air under it. But I get yer point.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #158
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCock View Post
I think Shaw is awesome because I've watched that 2011 Clemson bomb to Bruce like, 900 times, compared to the rest of his throws, so its hard-wired in my mind that Shaw is a beast.

I hope that made sense
great point! this is the thing, so many on here are forgetting all of the great throws he made during the 2011 season, like that one to bruce, the one to jones, etc... because they continually discount the fact that he has played with a fractured scapula all season long.
...and what about the laser to cunningham at the beginning of the season, the one where he got blasted but still hung onto the ball, cover 2? and he did that after the injury!!!
Old 12-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #159
pantera17
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
great point! this is the thing, so many on here are forgetting all of the great throws he made during the 2011 season, like that one to bruce, the one to jones, etc... because they continually discount the fact that he has played with a fractured scapula all season long.
...and what about the laser to cunningham at the beginning of the season, the one where he got blasted but still hung onto the ball, cover 2? and he did that after the injury!!!
that throw wasnt a laser. It was wobly and kinda floated through the air. Maybe my standards are to high when it comes to arm strength. I base throws off of marino and elway. So when I think.lader I think of those throws. Heck even cutler and stafford
Old 12-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #160
Dizzy01
Starter

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
that throw wasnt a laser. It was wobly and kinda floated through the air. Maybe my standards are to high when it comes to arm strength. I base throws off of marino and elway. So when I think.lader I think of those throws. Heck even cutler and stafford
So basically the standard of QBs is to throw for lots of yards, lots of picks and win virtually nothing. Only one of those guys ever won anything and that was when he got a coach that took the ball out of his hands.
Closed Thread