CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
LeeSC
pitchcock
SCohioBoy
gadeneer1986
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
Cockypantherfan
Just Booked my Hotel (1487)
Waldrop doubtful for (1139)
Best position coach (997)
We Have A New KO Guy (903)
The New Idea That'll (872)
If we loose to Kensu (662)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (545)
I'm over the loss, b (479)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (326)
So What? (314)
Best position coach or co
We Have A New KO Guy
Dylan Thompson looks brok
Thoughts on the basketbal
If we loose to Kensucky..
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
One dimensional QB
Ole Miss football program
Really excited to visit t

View Poll Results: Who is the number one guy on your board?
Tyrone Crowder 12 13.64%
Larenz Bryant 16 18.18%
Kelsey Griffin 2 2.27%
Matt Rolin 25 28.41%
Michael Hill 8 9.09%
Na'Ty Rodgers 2 2.27%
Mike Williams 16 18.18%
Tyshon Dye 2 2.27%
David Williams 1 1.14%
MarQuez North 4 4.55%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #15181
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4
Default Re: What could our recruiters be doing better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathor View Post
Gresham, Harris, Lewis, Holloman, Diaz (Walk-on), Cooper and Sims (Walk-on) at LB and Diggs, Golightly and Roberts at Spur. All of them have experience in the program, which is vastly superior to an incoming freshman (Bryant, Turner and Camara). There's also the plethora of DE's who have the build and speed to stand up and play LB. We have the bodies, we just have to see who steps up.
pretty sure Gresham is graduating and moving on missed a walk-on I guess but anyways, I don't think moving DE's is the answer Mason Harris is the only one I see being able to move back there

Old 12-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #15182
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Yannick Ngakoue Thread (2013 Prospect)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
why is it a "hit" if we lose Ngakoue? a guy we have never publically lead for and has been notoriously quiet the entire process?
YES!

We were never the leader for him, if losing him is a hit you guys might want to go ahead and prepare for that hit. If we steal him you can be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #15183
Glamcock
Recruit

Male

Glamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
Are you ****ing kidding me?? Get rid of botkin or something.... This has become a joke
Yep, kinda sux we have to settle for winning on the field. There is no excuse for winning 30 games in 3 years, especially with our history of excellence.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #15184
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

CockyCash: 200
EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material

we do not have 7 linebackers for the spring.

You are really trying to manipulate the numbers by including walk-ons.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #15185
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
we do not have 7 linebackers for the spring.

You are really trying to manipulate the numbers by including walk-ons.
How many do we have? Let's say Rainey moves to LB, what's the total?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #15186
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I'll say this, we won't be getting over the hump if we don't build up more depth in the key areas. Compare Bama, UF, UGA, A&M, etc. LB corps to ours and it isn't close.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #15187
cockywill09
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 647
cockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudlycockywill09 is crowing loudly

That's sad one year A&M is in the league they making a big impact , we been in 20 years and we still playing catch up but we have made leaps and bound in the past 5 years .
Old 12-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #15188
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I'll say this, we won't be getting over the hump if we don't build up more depth in the key areas. Compare Bama, UF, UGA, A&M, etc. LB corps to ours and it isn't close.
We use LBs differently than they do, one reason guys like Rolin get flipped. We can have great success, but they get sold on the whole system recruitment pitch.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #15189
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockywill09 View Post
That's sad one year A&M is in the league they making a big impact , we been in 20 years and we still playing catch up but we have made leaps and bound in the past 5 years .
Did you really think aTm was going to have a 5 year or so adjustment period? That school has a lot more resources and talent than people think they did.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 12-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #15190
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
How many do we have? Let's say Rainey moves to LB, what's the total?
3. Unless they move some more people.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #15191
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
USC just needs 4 max to be able to play any given Saturday. No, they don't have the overall depth that those schools mentioned do but what they do have aren't slouches talent wise.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #15192
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I get the feeling that our coaches are too laid back and are not going the extra mile in recruiting.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #15193
duff18
Blue Chip

Male

duff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his combduff18 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I get the feeling that our coaches are too laid back and are not going the extra mile in recruiting.
I'm not sure I agree with that, but I would say I am not sure our coaches relish recruiting either, although I would think not many coaches do. I'd rather have great coaches and decent recruiters than the other way around. I would think recruiting is a very difficult gig. It is much different now than years ago. Massaging an 16/17/18 year old's ego and trying to sell the merits of your program to a kid who for any number of reasons may or may not go to your school has to be a royal pain in the arse and somewhat belittling to a grown man who coaches football.

I will say, I'd like us to have someone on the staff who loves recruiting and loves that challenge. Me personally, I would find it very difficult to be recruiting coordinator - and I am in account management/sales for a living - but someone who lives for that would be good by me.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #15194
poppabeary3
Blue Chip

Male

poppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his combpoppabeary3 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
why is it a "hit" if we lose Ngakoue? a guy we have never publically lead for and has been notoriously quiet the entire process?
I was using the word "hit" in reference and in context of the post I quoted. Just re read the quote and my post and you will see that by "hit" I meant our class wouldn't be as good as expected or as good as previous classes. We will have taken a step in the wrong direction with this class if we don't close with the top guys left on our board since we've already missed on so many. That being said, the guys left on our board can change the whole perception of this class if they sign since all 3 are in positions of need and would play as freshmen (Rodgers probably as a RS Frosh).
Old 12-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #15195
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppabeary3 View Post
I was using the word "hit" in reference and in context of the post I quoted. Just re read the quote and my post and you will see that by "hit" I meant our class wouldn't be as good as expected or as good as previous classes. We will have taken a step in the wrong direction with this class if we don't close with the top guys left on our board since we've already missed on so many. That being said, the guys left on our board can change the whole perception of this class if they sign since all 3 are in positions of need and would play as freshmen (Rodgers probably as a RS Frosh).
I agree, this class took a huge hit starting with Langley. We need to top off with some good 4 star talents. Williams and Rogers will do that for us. I also hear of some interesting things going on with the coaching staff and Ronald Powell from Florida
Old 12-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #15196
Sabu1
Walk On

Male

Sabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervousSabu1 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockywill09 View Post
You cant seriously compare usc to atm in terms of financial resources and local talent. Is what it is but we arent slouches either.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #15197
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff18 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that, but I would say I am not sure our coaches relish recruiting either, although I would think not many coaches do. I'd rather have great coaches and decent recruiters than the other way around. I would think recruiting is a very difficult gig. It is much different now than years ago. Massaging an 16/17/18 year old's ego and trying to sell the merits of your program to a kid who for any number of reasons may or may not go to your school has to be a royal pain in the arse and somewhat belittling to a grown man who coaches football.

I will say, I'd like us to have someone on the staff who loves recruiting and loves that challenge. Me personally, I would find it very difficult to be recruiting coordinator - and I am in account management/sales for a living - but someone who lives for that would be good by me.
I'm not saying we should massage egos, but I think they should do everything they can to get kids excited about our program. I seriously hope they are not of this "win and recruiting will take care of itself" attitude. That's not good enough. Plenty of teams our there are winning just as much or more. We're only the sixth highest rank SEC team right now. You have to fight in recruiting too to get to the top and to stay there or near there. I want our coaches need to be good coaches AND good recruiters. I'm not really interested in hearing this "which would you rather have a good coach or good recruiter?" Just like that Coke Zero commercial. That is what expectations are for winning programs and we should be no different.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #15198
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
I get the feeling that you are full of Santa's reindeer droppings.

Order Of The Spur
Old 12-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #15199
1966gamecocks
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 70000
1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous1966gamecocks is making other chickens nervous

Like what are you hearing about the coaching staff and Ronald Powell?
Old 12-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #15200
wilbert G willigers
4-Star

Male

wilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966gamecocks View Post
Like what are you hearing about the coaching staff and Ronald Powell?
I think he is referring to Quinton Powell, a high school LB out of Florida. Ronald Powell plays at UF currently. Powell is a guy we certainly need to be looking at, quite an impressive offer list to his credit.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...-Powell-120013