CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gyle41386
4gamecockfb
ReadR00ster
sporkgod50
OscarTheGrouch
RGHoskins
Acockolypse Now
bigdog2003
GoldenSpur7
Spurrier_Superior_On
Diamond DeSheilds, U (2645)
how has more ESPN an (1414)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (1004)
Gamecock Legacy recr (739)
Clemson's At It Agai (497)
Women's bb - Deshiel (476)
22 ways to annoy peo (369)
$15 home AC (348)
Hope Springs Eternal (270)
Why sports will alwa (234)
Playstation 4
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
how has more ESPN anounce
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Joeckel Transfering from
Victor Hampton Arrested
Jameis Winston's Accuser
Hope Springs Eternal
Connor Mitch

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #181
Loathor
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 570
Loathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
I would not consider that pass a rope. But that's probably just me. Since like I've said my standards for "ropes" are what Marino and elway threw.

Noo, they weren't bad games. I didn't say they were. You are getting to into the stats. In it and Arky shaw attempted many harder throws them he did in UGA and mizzou. That was my point. And he made them. He played really well those two games. And made some great throws over the middle.
Let's be honest here... neither of these guys are Elway or Marino... or Mark Sanchez for that matter. For this team, at this time, a game manager with a good completion percentage, who protects the ball, is what we need. We don't have the skill players at WR to be hurling it up every down and busting big play after big play. Shaw is the consistency that wins with what we have.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #182
Loathor
Recruit

Male

Loathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Lifer View Post
Stats are indisputable facts, but only tell part of the story. Watch the way they throw the ball. Shaw has to basically take a step and launch his whole body into a deep throw, Dylan is pretty much an ear hole and elbow passer. Meaning simply he only brings the ball back to about his ear hole when he is loading up and pretty much is using his wrist and elbow to deliver the ball. This is how you get the ball off quick, it shows how much arm strength he has by comparison and even when he is chucking it 50 yards downfield, he doesn't have to take nearly as much time to set himself for a big throw. Just comparing their passing abilities, Dylan has proven to be a more explosive option in the passing game. Shaw is more the underneath passer who runs the read option well, is a fantastic rushing option and can manage the game with high completion percentages because he throws a lot of shorter passes. Now, on the corner routes, out routes and deep routes... He CAN complete them sometimes but the ball takes too long to get there most of the time and that leads to some nasty hits on our WRs and TEs as well as more contested balls by DBs. I don't think you are being reasonable if you are just using stats like completion percentages to compare their passing ability. Also, it was clear early in the year that Dylan was green as a day old bean sprout... He was nervous, and hadn't played much in real games since high school. His confidence has grown tremendously nice then and his accuracy, decision making and EVERYTHING seems to be improving accordingly.
JMHO

In the end, we can all argue about this until we are blue in the face and mad as a tater who just got beat at Death Valley.. The real truth of it all is that we are incredibly fortunate to have two fantastic options at QB, and one of the best passers in HS football committed to come play for us next year! When has the QB position EVER looked this good! Go ahead coach, PLAY THEM BOTH! I love watching both guys play! I almost wish we'd try to use Dylan early in games to try to come out firing, take the lead and get the team some energy, then slow it down later in the game with Shaw's grinding rushing and underneath passing attack to wear out the opposing D and grind out the clock when we need it. Obviously that just wouldn't work all the time, but it sure seems like a good idea to try sometime.
I'll agree that the future is bright, and the competition this spring/fall should be a fun one to watch. But for right now, I want the safe bet in Shaw compared to the flash and risk of Thompson leading us to wins.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #183
ZenUSC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudlyZenUSC is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathor View Post
Let's be honest here... neither of these guys are Elway or Marino... or Mark Sanchez for that matter. For this team, at this time, a game manager with a good completion percentage, who protects the ball, is what we need. We don't have the skill players at WR to be hurling it up every down and busting big play after big play. Shaw is the consistency that wins with what we have.
It was thompson's ability to hit Ellington and Ace that broke open the Clemson game. We do have big play WRs that we have to throw to. If we dont utilize our playmakers in that game we could easily have lost.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #184
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
that throw wasnt a laser. It was wobly and kinda floated through the air. Maybe my standards are to high when it comes to arm strength. I base throws off of marino and elway. So when I think.lader I think of those throws. Heck even cutler and stafford
maybe you want to go back and look at it. i just watched it five minutes ago, and that ball got there in a hurry. and yes, that is the problem. it isn't exactly realistic to base the throws a college qb makes, on those that two nfl hall of famers threw. hell, most of the qb's in the nfl look like they are weak armed next to those guys. trust me, connor has plenty of arm strength. but throwing with a fractured bone in his upper back, of his throwing side, isn't going to allow the same strength as normal.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #185
Loathor
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
It was thompson's ability to hit Ellington and Ace that broke open the Clemson game. We do have big play WRs that we have to throw to. If we dont utilize our playmakers in that game we could easily have lost.
Bruce and Ace had one less catch each against Clemson than they did against Tennessee with Shaw throwing them the ball. He gets the ball to whoever can get open. Against soft secondaries (Tennessee, Clemson, UAB) the WRs we have can take advantage to get open, but when they played a stiffer D (LSU, Florida) Shaw doesn't try to force the ball into coverage when they can't get the separation. Thompson had 20 passes against Florida, yet Ellington had 0 catches, why wasn't he able to get the ball to him then?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #186
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

I wonder what "Loathor" 's primary screen name is?

There are so many multiple s/n's going on around here and esp in threads concerning Shaw and Thompson that it is ridiculous.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #187
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
but when they played a stiffer D (LSU, Florida) Shaw doesn't try to force the ball into coverage when they can't get the separation.
Or you could say that he folds.

Why not try the truth?

Against LSU CS was checking out of passing plays all night. When he would actually run a passing play, that is what he did...tuck the ball and run. Spurrier was so pissed off that in the pgpc he told us that he had been asking GA all game if Connor had been hit in the head or something. Against LSU he was leaving wide open receivers all over the field all night long. And when evaluating CS, don't forget about that last drive.

Against Florida, on that first play, when even my five year old nephew was pointing out the blitzing CB, was Connor showing his expertise as a QB and not trying "to force the ball into coverage when they can't get the separation." When he tossed the ball to the CB setting them up for a touchdown on the two yard line?

Is that what he was doing?

Snoop saw that guy coming in real time from Fiji, but CS didn't and you think he is better than Thompson?

to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #188
Loathor
Recruit

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
Or you could say that he folds.

Why not try the truth?

Against LSU CS was checking out of passing plays all night. When he would actually run a passing play, that is what he did...tuck the ball and run. Spurrier was so pissed off that in the pgpc he told us that he had been asking GA all game if Connor had been hit in the head or something. Against LSU he was leaving wide open receivers all over the field all night long. And when evaluating CS, don't forget about that last drive.

Against Florida, on that first play, when even my five year old nephew was pointing out the blitzing CB, was Connor showing his expertise as a QB and not trying "to force the ball into coverage when they can't get the separation." When he tossed the ball to the CB setting them up for a touchdown on the two yard line?

Is that what he was doing?

Snoop saw that guy coming in real time from Fiji, but CS didn't and you think he is better than Thompson?

A... this is the only username I have on this site, or any site really... so if you see it somewhere else it's probably me...

B... a fumble is now a pass in this QB discussion? Good to know.

C... Against LSU we had 34 pass attempts and only 25 rushes... so your telling me that a team that runs the ball 55+ percent of the time for the year decided, against one of the top 20 pass defenses in the nation, to pass it 75+ percent of the time (as at least half of those rushes were supposed to be passes that Shaw "ran" instead)?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #189
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

At this point the only reason this discussion is going on is that neither qb's have distanced themselves as a starter. If Shaw could have managed to pull out LSU or we hadn't peed ourselves in Florida then this wouldn't be an issue.

I believe this does, however, make it one solid decade that there has been a question at quarterback. I do like this issue currently a little better than the Smelley Beecher eras though.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #190
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGamecock View Post
To me it is not about the yards a QB throws that measures his success but how successful he is at utilizing his receiving options around him. Again I am not trying to bash Connor as some have suggested it is merely to discuss the different styles of the QBs. I feel that in order to for us to get over the hump we have to get the ball to our receivers more.
over the hump? For you, what is over the hump? the guy is 16-3 as a starter and next season we dont play the big 3 from the west. connor probably will have a 27 win career in 2.5 years. connor has led us over the hump.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #191
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
over the hump? For you, what is over the hump? the guy is 16-3 as a starter and next season we dont play the big 3 from the west. connor probably will have a 27 win career in 2.5 years. connor has led us over the hump.
Upvote.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #192
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
We still don't have a championship. I would assume that's what he is talking about. If Shaw doesn't manage a team that can get back to Atlanta then his winning percentage in a few years will be a nice trivia question but that's about it.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #193
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

The reality is that neither one is a NFL caliber QB that can throw a receiver open but both can win us games. Both of them have earned the right to see playing time in the bowl game and I'm sure Spurrier will stick with the one that gives us the best chance to win. Considering that Connor has played injured for pretty much the entire year it's hard to judge just how good a passer he can be and with the limited PT Dylan has had the same can be said. What can be said is that we finally have 2 QB's that are capable of running the offense efficiently and 2 more behind them with huge potential. Not a bad problem to have.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #194
MikeTrainNC8
Cock of the Walk

Male

CockyCash: 66034
MikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot materialMikeTrainNC8 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Upvote.
Upvote? You got the wrong forum...

And championship/bcs is over the hump
Old 12-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #195
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTrainNC8 View Post
Upvote? You got the wrong forum...

And championship/bcs is over the hump
Its time for a dose of reality..sc has played alabama, auburn, and lsu the last 4 years..two of those teams won the mnc and the other played in the game..even then we made it too the seccg.we lost to cam..i have no regrets..

you are not grounded in reality if you think "getting over the hump" demanded we be in that category..

sc does the best they can with the resources they have. carolina is over the hump and next years schedule may bring more success. i feel sorry for if that is your measuring stick..
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #196
SimpleGamecock
Recruit

Male

SimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Connor has a great winning percentage and I am very happy with the W/L record we have with him behind center. He has helped us in leading to victories over opponents we consistently should be beating (which is a big deal) but would you really say we are over the hump? We finished 3rd in the East this season and our 2 losses are to teams ranked higher than us. Yes, they were on the road but reality is we will always have 4 SEC games at home AND on the road. We finally have the talent to compete with the traditional powers of the conference. We also have to sit home and watch Georgia compete for the SEC Championship for the second straight hear even though we beat them 3 straight times. I know Georgia had the easier path but give them credit they beat a Florida team we lost to. So for me over the hump is getting back to Atl for a shot at the title.

Our defense is second to none for the 2nd straight year and has kept us in every game. We also have the talent on offense to get there and I think Connor has the skill set for it but at times he seems to rely on his legs more than trusting the offense and getting the ball to the open recievers.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #197
SimpleGamecock
Recruit

Male

SimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Its time for a dose of reality..sc has played alabama, auburn, and lsu the last 6 years..two of those teams won the mnc and the other played in the game..even then we made it too the seccg.we lost to cam..i have no regrets..

you are not grounded in reality if you think "getting over the hump" demanded we be in that category..

sc does the best they can with the resources they have. carolina is over the hump and next years schedule may bring more success. i feel sorry for if that is your measuring stick..

Maybe you are too "grounded in reality" why is it hard to imagine that South Carolina cant compete with them? With the exception of Florida this year and Auburn in the Championship we have been competitive with those schools and have even beat Bama. It's time for a dose of reality when you have success it's going to set higher expectations. That is not just for the fans but for the team. Do you think Swearinger says we can't compete for the title because we do "best they can with the resources they have" if we beat Florida we are in Atlanta and there is not a doubt in my mind we had a shot at beating Alabama.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #198
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleGamecock View Post
Connor has a great winning percentage and I am very happy with the W/L record we have with him behind center. He has helped us in leading to victories over opponents we consistently should be beating (which is a big deal) but would you really say we are over the hump? We finished 3rd in the East this season and our 2 losses are to teams ranked higher than us. Yes, they were on the road but reality is we will always have 4 SEC games at home AND on the road. We finally have the talent to compete with the traditional powers of the conference. We also have to sit home and watch Georgia compete for the SEC Championship for the second straight hear even though we beat them 3 straight times. I know Georgia had the easier path but give them credit they beat a Florida team we lost to. So for me over the hump is getting back to Atl for a shot at the title.

Our defense is second to none for the 2nd straight year and has kept us in every game. We also have the talent on offense to get there and I think Connor has the skill set for it but at times he seems to rely on his legs more than trusting the offense and getting the ball to the open recievers.
At least you see the uga schedule break they have been handed. and yes, they beat uf. but they didnt have lsu the week before. good gosh.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #199
Emery
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Its time for a dose of reality..sc has played alabama, auburn, and lsu the last 4 years..two of those teams won the mnc and the other played in the game..even then we made it too the seccg.we lost to cam..i have no regrets..

And in the last four years we lost to: Florida, LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Kentucky, Florida State, Georgia, Tennessee, Connecticut.

Scheduling plays a role, but to say we are over the hump when we continue losing games we have no business losing is a bit much. Sure we don't have the resources of a Bama, LSU etc. but to say that this is the best we can expect is wrong too.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #200
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
A... this is the only username I have on this site, or any site really... so if you see it somewhere else it's probably me...

B... a fumble is now a pass in this QB discussion? Good to know.

C... Against LSU we had 34 pass attempts and only 25 rushes... so your telling me that a team that runs the ball 55+ percent of the time for the year decided, against one of the top 20 pass defenses in the nation, to pass it 75+ percent of the time (as at least half of those rushes were supposed to be passes that Shaw "ran" instead)?
I may not know how many s/n's you have, but I do know where you live: Spin City. You have tried addressing every thing under the sun (well, three of them at least) but not one word about Connor's tendency to curl up in the fetal when the pressure is on.

Regarding the # of pass attempts/checking off...I defer to SOS's pgpc when he said these things...so it is not me telling you, it is him...watch that and get back to me.
to come true." Bodhi.
Closed Thread