CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
StormOfTalons
Master Bedroom
Acockolypse Now
Rooster'srule
sanford
Order 66
Spur's Addiction
El Cid Ranger
b381l
Backup QB competitio (2964)
2014 Preseason USA T (1422)
Anyone heard anythin (1382)
Ranking the SEC Fema (903)
Future Non-Conferenc (813)
Spurrier on the cove (528)
Kewl video (386)
Ranking the SEC scho (378)
Tupelo Honey Cafe (364)
Musburger/Palmer to (348)
Anyone heard anything abo
Future Non-Conference Sch
Re-Airing South Carolina
An Aggies View of the Mat
Backup QB competition
E$PN College Football Bro
Tupelo Honey Cafe
Musburger/Palmer to comme
Malcolm Mitchell (knee)
2014 Signee - Joe Blue

Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #21
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Why Doesn't Connor Wear Bigger Pads?

[quote=TStone;3611584]His shoulder injury has been fine for a while now/quote]

His reactions (pain) after being tackled head-on would indicate otherwise.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #22
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

His shoulder pads aren't designed to protect him from getting crushed by full sprint defenders pounding him into the ground. That's what his O-line is there for, he needs a bigger O-line, not bigger shoulder pads.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
His shoulder pads aren't designed to protect him from getting crushed by full sprint defenders pounding him into the ground. That's what his O-line is there for, he needs a bigger O-line, not bigger shoulder pads.
I can't argue with that.

We all are praying for an offensive line that holds a pocket for more than a milisecond...

I can't help but believe that Coach Spurrier will make that his #1 priority and will make sure Elliot delivers what we need this year. We can't make it to elite status without pocket protection, even if we continue to zone/read a bunch.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #24
TheUSCMike
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 4500
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Connor also wears grey or black socks, whereas Tyler Bray wears orange socks, because Bray has a stronger arm. I'm not totally sure about this, but it sounds good to me, plus I also get to bring up once again that Connor has a weak arm, so it's all good....

Points added. All that plus I can belittle Connor by making snide remarks about "Pop Warner" and "kiddie pads"
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
I can't argue with that.

We all are praying for an offensive line that holds a pocket for more than a milisecond...

I can't help but believe that Coach Spurrier will make that his #1 priority and will make sure Elliot delivers what we need this year. We can't make it to elite status without pocket protection, even if we continue to zone/read a bunch.
Man you are right. Connor definitely needs that, I honestly think he will have a pretty good line next year though.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
jayceecock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 573
jayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPitjayceecock rules the CockPit

Looks like Connor wears the Douglas Custom CP QB Shoulder pads, which is probably the best pads for flexibility and protection. They are more contoured shaped, which makes the shoulders look rounder. These pads fit closer to the body because Douglas uses an open cell foam system to disperse the impact from the player's body.

Looking at Tajh, i'm almost positive he wears the Riddell Custom PM19. They have a cantilevered design that makes the shoulder pads sit high and an air mgt system which makes the pads look bigger.

Both are excellent pads used by Pros and College players.
jayceecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
He's still wearing what look like Pop Warner pads compared to what Tajh Boyd wears, for example.
Tajh Boyd...taterhead

Connor Shaw...Gamecock

Tajh Boyd...has never beaten The University of South Carolina

Connor Shaw...has never lost to clemson

Tajh Boyd...plays in the athletically challenged conference

Connor Shaw...quarterbacks in the SEC

Tajh Boyd...is coached by dabo sweeney

Connor Shaw...is coached by a former Heisman Trophy winner, NFL QB, national championship winning coach named Steve Spurrier.

We don't do things a certain way because that is the way that clemson does it. We do things the way we do them because that is what best serves our needs.

250 some odd years ago, our forefathers took a dangerous trip to start life over here in what would become America because they didn't like the way that things were being done in Europe. In the mean time, we went from being nothing to becoming a nation, to becoming the military and industrial leader in the world. Then some geniuses popped up with the great idea that "we should do things more like Europe"...now look where we are.

We didn't copy clemson to get to where we are, we don't need to copy clemson to get to where we want to be.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #28
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

The one suggestion that I do have for Connor Shaw is that he go back to wearing the glove on his throwing hand...like Michael Jackson...who also preferred wearing the smaller shoulder pads. And we all know how successful he was.

No glove...No love...

it is no small coincidence that all of CS's problems started when he removed that glove. Had he worn the glove this season, we'd be playing Notre Dame not 'Bama. I think that is also the reason that he hurt his shoulder and his foot...and why he played badly against LSU and Florida.

Bring back the glove!
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #29
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

I cant believe we are here talking about Shaw's shoulder pad choice.......

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #30
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceecock View Post
Looks like Connor wears the Douglas Custom CP QB Shoulder pads, which is probably the best pads for flexibility and protection. They are more contoured shaped, which makes the shoulders look rounder. These pads fit closer to the body because Douglas uses an open cell foam system to disperse the impact from the player's body.

Looking at Tajh, i'm almost positive he wears the Riddell Custom PM19. They have a cantilevered design that makes the shoulder pads sit high and an air mgt system which makes the pads look bigger.

Both are excellent pads used by Pros and College players.
Wow, you are obviously the right person to address this. Do they come in varying sizes, though for a college-level player? (Something akin to reg, large, xl, xxl, etc.?).

Again, my concern is the degree of protection to the middle of the chest area (front or back). I know the fracture was in the back, but the nerves from front to back are interrelated and getting crunched on either side could cause a guy with his injury to be in a ton of pain. Taking that into consideration, which do you think he should be wearing for max protection and (if they have varying sizes) which size/configuration should he be wearing?

Some on this board thought he chose a wide receiver set of pads because he used to be a wide receiver and preferred the fit.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
I cant believe we are here talking about Shaw's shoulder pad choice.......
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #32
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
I heard Tajh wears pads with wings
Nah, he wears MAXIpads...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #33
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Nah, he wears MAXIpads...
Old 12-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #34
airborne09
4-Star

Male

airborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervousairborne09 is making other chickens nervous

His durability was a large topic of discussion at the end of last season.So him getting hurt really isn't a shock.
airborne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #35
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

They choose which pads they want to wear. I don't think the pads inhibit the throwing motion as much as the jerseys did at the beginning of the season. The arms of the jerseys used to be tight around their biceps. I noticed toward the end of the season that all the quarterbacks had on jerseys with the looser arms so that they could raise their arms to throw more easily. Their pads come uncovered more often, but they no longer have to fight the jersey.
me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #36
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post

it is no small coincidence that all of CS's problems started when he removed that glove. Had he worn the glove this season, we'd be playing Notre Dame not 'Bama. I think that is also the reason that he hurt his shoulder and his foot...and why he played badly against LSU and Florida.

Bring back the glove!
We're not playing Bama.....we're playing Michigan.....

Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #37
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material
Talking Re: Why Doesn't Connor Wear Bigger Pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
We're not playing Bama.....we're playing Michigan.....

I think the poster means we'd be playing Notre Dame in 'Bama's place.
me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #38
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Speaking of big pads.

A great excuse to post a picture of the best passer in the history of the sport.
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #39
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

QB pads are made smaller for mobility, throwing, etc. I remember in highschool everyone wanted the QB shoulder pads cause they were smaller and not as bulky looking on you. Also easier to run in. It's just personal preference i'm sure. They don't look small on him IMO, big ones would make him look tiny.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #40
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post

Connor Shaw...is coached by a former Heisman Trophy winner, NFL QB, national championship winning coach named Steve Spurrier.
wow! so you do actually know those things about spurrier, yet still think he doesn't know how to chose a starting qb? hmmmmm. with all of those accolades he still doesn't know who is the better qb, or who SHOULD be starting for his team. hey, you might be on to something!