CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
Cocks N Stuff
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
So Disappointed With (1852)
Rank the QBs under S (1385)
Back like cooked cra (973)
Tennessee game (656)
Who start on the d l (616)
Google finally gets (471)
No Comments on the H (461)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (345)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (165)
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Why I think we beat Aubur
7 on 7 flag football bloc
SEC Debate: Best candidat
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
If the Head Ball Coach re

Old 12-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #41
doccock
Super Doc

Male

CockyCash: 500
doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit
Default Re: Why Doesn't Connor Wear Bigger Pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
Again, my concern is the degree of protection to the middle of the chest area (front or back). I know the fracture was in the back, but the nerves from front to back are interrelated and getting crunched on either side could cause a guy with his injury to be in a ton of pain.
Just FYI, nerves don't run across the body, they follow dermatomes along the length of the body. One that runs down a dermatome in the back does not connect to one running down the front. They also don't cross the midline, so one on the left doesn't connect to one on the right.

If he had pain in both the front and back, it was probably because he had trauma on both sides. For example the helmet to the back and the ground to the front.

doc
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #42
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
The one suggestion that I do have for Connor Shaw is that he go back to wearing the glove on his throwing hand...like Michael Jackson...who also preferred wearing the smaller shoulder pads. And we all know how successful he was.

No glove...No love...

it is no small coincidence that all of CS's problems started when he removed that glove. Had he worn the glove this season, we'd be playing Notre Dame not 'Bama. I think that is also the reason that he hurt his shoulder and his foot...and why he played badly against LSU and Florida.

Bring back the glove!
I have wondered why he doesn't wear the glove on his throwing hand this season. But I wouldn't blame his injuries on the lack of his glove.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
wow! so you do actually know those things about spurrier, yet still think he doesn't know how to chose a starting qb? hmmmmm. with all of those accolades he still doesn't know who is the better qb, or who SHOULD be starting for his team. hey, you might be on to something!
My God. Really man?
pantera17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #44
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Why doesn't Tajh have that problem?

Boyd's running was quite effective for a major part of the season and his throwing was just fine (except when he played us, of course).

And it's not just Boyd. Many quarterbacks seem to go with normal to OVERsized pads and still maintain a decent throwing motion and completion percentage.

I think Connor is making a big mistake by going with undersized pads. He's actually a fairly big dude, but when he wears those pads everyone has the impression that he is a midget and they get the idea that he's too short to see his receivers (and so forth).
Taj has a little weenee.

Connor is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
Speaking of big pads.

A great excuse to post a picture of the best passer in the history of the sport.
I call your Marino
and raise you a Jurgensen

Shaq Attack
yazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #45
TheUSCMike
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 4250
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Taj has a little weenee.

Connor is great.

I call your Marino
and raise you a Jurgensen

Sonny "I don't throw with my stomach" Jurgensen and they didn't wear flak jackets.
Dang, is he even wearing shoulder pads????
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #46
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
He needs to be able to take SEC-type hits again and again and those pee-wee pads he's wearing wouldn't give me an ounce of confidence if I were the quarterback.

I think he is handicapping himself by wearing something that feels more comfortable but gives him zero psychological confidence that he could take a hit. We've got to get him back to where he will run upfield.

When he is 100% healthy next year, I hope and pray that we don't march him back onto the field with this kiddie pads again. We're just asking for trouble if we do.

Respectfully, we've got to get him to where he throws downfield instead of running upfield.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #47
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Don't know if someone has already said this, not going to read through every post. Modern pads don't have to be as bulky to protect someone. They have created shoulder pads with less volume, but more protection. So the pads that someone wore in the 90's may have looked bigger, but not as protective as the ones Shaw is wearing.

Also the idea of him needing bigger pads would help him make it through an SEC schedule is wrong. He just needs to throw the ball on time and protect himself when running. The size of pads won't help with those two things.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #48
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockfanatic4 View Post
I cant believe we are here talking about Shaw's shoulder pad choice.......
Well, it beats arguing with the brain dead that believe a certain injured, non-passing wide receiver should be QB-ing us when we have a QB that is healthy and can/will throw the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
wow! so you do actually know those things about spurrier, yet still think he doesn't know how to chose a starting qb? hmmmmm. with all of those accolades he still doesn't know who is the better qb, or who SHOULD be starting for his team. hey, you might be on to something!
I invite you to show me one time that I have questioned Steve Spurrier either as our coach or more specifically his decision to continue starting Connor Shaw. I have given my opinions, but not once question any of his decisions. Reading and comprehending is supposed to be such an easy thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
I have wondered why he doesn't wear the glove on his throwing hand this season. But I wouldn't blame his injuries on the lack of his glove.
Never underestimate the protective powers of the glove...WeeHee (pointless MJ reference). He would have been in New York a few weeks back if only he had not abandoned 'the glove'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
Respectfully, we've got to get him to where he throws downfield instead of running upfield.
You are introducing logic into this thread?

The premise of this thread is that our QB should dress like that taterheaded loser Tajh Boyd and you think logic fits here?

Good logic though...just wasted in this thread.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote