CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
Ahmad
HeadCockFan
ChickenButt
eightohhthree
jrussjr
roosterdude21
b381l
Cockypantherfan
gamecock88
Clem5on fans are bes (2647)
Mizzou Depth Chart v (1808)
Defense not an issue (1632)
7:30 kickoff for Ken (1484)
Cack's Toast of the (1233)
Legitimate, Unbiased (1203)
Brawl at 49ers/Cardi (1131)
Antonio Allen vs Als (1122)
I guess we don't get (1000)
Look who's at the bo (741)
Vols dismiss RB for punch
Predict the Season (After
Defense not an issue....
Pharoh Cooper is a stud
why we're in this positio
Chromecast
Antonio Allen vs Alshon J
Defensive personnel quest
Perspective
Ex-player sues Southern C

Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 500
BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb
Default Outback Picked Winner?

I just finished talking with my husband who retired from Outback Steakhouse in the mid 2000s.

He said because of the huge difference in the cost of onions and shrimp, OSI would never offer a freebee like shrimp if they thought Michigan would win the game.

It would cost them way too much money.

So it looks like Outback Steakhouse has money riding on this game and they've picked South Carolina!

Go Cocks!
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Outback Picked Winner?

Interesting thought. Anyone care to post the normal Tampa area price of each appetizer for comparison? Thanks!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
CockyInGA
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Outback Website - Online ordering for Pickup - Put in City / Zip Code.

From the menu...

Bloomin' Onion: $6.99
Coconut Shrimp: $8.79

Roughly $2 more list price for the shrimp, but who knows that their "at cost" price is.

If you want to keep with this logic, you could go so far as to even say they picked shrimp as one of the freebies knowing that lots of people (like myself) might potentially be allergic to shrimp (and yes, it sucks, especially when you find out when you're 31).

I call shenanigans ;)

Last edited by CockyInGA; 12-28-2012 at 12:14 PM.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyInGA View Post
Outback Website - Online ordering for Pickup - Put in City / Zip Code.

From the menu...

Bloomin' Onion: $6.99
Coconut Shrimp: $8.79

Roughly $2 more list price for the shrimp, but who knows that their "at cost" price is.

If you want to keep with this logic, you could go so far as to even say they picked shrimp as one of the freebies knowing that lots of people (like myself) might potentially be allergic to shrimp (and yes, it sucks, especially when you find out when you're 31).

I call shenanigans ;)
The at cost still has to be a lot cheaper than shrimp, I think we are on to something here.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
BlueHerons
4-Star

Female

BlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his combBlueHerons is developing his comb

I guess let me rephrase this.

My husband retired as an executive with OSI. He knows the wholesale and futures cost of onions and shrimp.

The COST of the onions and shrimp is what is relevent here not what they charge for each (however the profit margin for the onion is much higher than that for the shrimp).

Outback is definitely betting that South Carolina will will. Tim Gannon isn't a fool.
BlueHerons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
roosterdave
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 553
roosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHerons View Post
I guess let me rephrase this.

My husband retired as an executive with OSI. He knows the wholesale and futures cost of onions and shrimp.

The COST of the onions and shrimp is what is relevent here not what they charge for each (however the profit margin for the onion is much higher than that for the shrimp).

Outback is definitely betting that South Carolina will will. Tim Gannon isn't a fool.
OSI knows what's up!!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

I used to be an assistant manager of a steakhouse chain and I can confirm that the cost of the food for onions is substantially lower than that of shrimp...even if you purchase medium sized shrimp

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #8
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Interesting insight. Makes sense.
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Maybe on that day, they switch from regular shrimp to a mysterious box from the freezer with chinese writing all over it, that is full of "shrimp product".
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
mick66
Starter

Male

mick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPitmick66 rules the CockPit

Finally a nefarious plot that benefits me, and all I'll get is a 6,000 calorie onion.
mick66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

What is the promotion?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
TheManInBlack
Recruit

TheManInBlack is making other chickens nervousTheManInBlack is making other chickens nervousTheManInBlack is making other chickens nervousTheManInBlack is making other chickens nervousTheManInBlack is making other chickens nervousTheManInBlack is making other chickens nervousTheManInBlack is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
What is the promotion?
Think its 'if usc wins, everyone gets a free blooming onion on Jan 2nd. If Mich wins, everyone gets free shrimp something o rather on Jan 2nd'
TheManInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManInBlack View Post
Think its 'if usc wins, everyone gets a free blooming onion on Jan 2nd. If Mich wins, everyone gets free shrimp something o rather on Jan 2nd'
Coconut shrimp. Bloomin onion is much better. And because of the price, looks like Outback is picking South Carolina!

But, is the BO good for you? Of course not. Is it good? Hell yes.
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #14
Steeler7588
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Steeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudlySteeler7588 is crowing loudly

The Bloomin' Onion has to be much more popular normally than the Coconut Shrimp. Maybe more people would pass on the shrimp even it was free, and thus would make it roughly equivalent in cost to Outback?

Besides, if they were trying to go for the cheapest cost, why not assign something like the cheese fries to Michigan? Seems a little silly that they'd think we would win and go with a more expensive food for their underdog. Giving both teams a low cost appetizer seems like a win-win.

Steelers / Carolina Gamecocks / Penguins / Arsenal / Pitt Panthers / Bulls / Pirates
Steeler7588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
Kickerspl80
Too Deep

Male

CockyCash: 10000692
Kickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot materialKickerspl80 is USC mascot material

Deep too thinking youre
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Is this promo being offered only in Tampa?
me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

Is the labor cost about the same?

You can have an item that costs less, but requires more labor to prepare.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Blackland
Blue Chip

Male

Blackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his combBlackland is developing his comb

Whoever wins you lose if you order either app. They are both full of fat, trans fat, sugar, starch, gluten and sodium. My guess is the shrimp have more transfat with the coconut, the onion thing is not much better (2010 calories).
Blackland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #19
unmeaty
Recruit

Male

unmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPitunmeaty rules the CockPit

OSI = Onions and Shrimp, Inc.?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
uscgamecocks88
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talonsuscgamecocks88 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
Is this promo being offered only in Tampa?
No, im pretty sure its all Outback restaurants nationwide
uscgamecocks88 is offline   Reply With Quote