CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
ReadR00ster
rosstheboss
Latti
donbgamecock
Bobby Boucher
ConwayGamecock
usc1
Regalcock
El Cid Ranger
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (2674)
BREAD (522)
Sindarius Thornwell (340)
Dress shirt help (335)
Starz Black Sails (274)
Best Child Acting Pe (236)
Grill 225 (Market Pa (168)
South Carolina @ Aub (110)
Well gameday just go (105)
Unsung Hero (84)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME #3
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Kelcy and Vic questioned
Sindarius Thornwell Draft
Grill 225 (Market Pavilli
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
South Carolina @ Auburn S
Name a Gamecock
Does Brenton Williams hav
Josh Cunningham Power For

Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPit
Default Biggest Impact Player For Next Season

Just a thread to help pass the time. Which true freshman and rs freshman in your opinion will make the biggest impacts next season?
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
lchite4
4-Star

Male

lchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comb
Default Re: Biggest Impact Player For Next Season

Well, 2013 class isn't done yet. I'd say Darius English will make an impact and Rico McWilliams as well if he can be fully recovered from his injury. Hopefully Roland will emerge from his lackluster freshman season. As far as true fresh... Larenz Bryant. Don't see anyone else coming in and impacting immediately, and it's a stretch for me to think even Bryant will come in to do that. So hard to do in the SEC, just makes you think how crazy it is that Lattimore did what he did as a true fresh. Probably left some names out but those are the quick off the top of my head picks.
lchite4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #3
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPitGamecocks321 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchite4 View Post
Well, 2013 class isn't done yet. I'd say Darius English will make an impact and Rico McWilliams as well if he can be fully recovered from his injury. Hopefully Roland will emerge from his lackluster freshman season. As far as true fresh... Larenz Bryant. Don't see anyone else coming in and impacting immediately, and it's a stretch for me to think even Bryant will come in to do that. So hard to do in the SEC, just makes you think how crazy it is that Lattimore did what he did as a true fresh. Probably left some names out but those are the quick off the top of my head picks.
Yeah, I know the 2013 class isn't finished yet, but Ngakoue, Williams, and Rodgers are the main ones left on the board that we have a solid chance of getting. There are some other names floating around, but for the most part those three guys are most likely the final guys we're really pushing to get IMO. As for my thoughts on the impact players for next season:

Freshman: Pharoh Cooper - Been hearing a lot of great things about him. Had an excellent Shrine Bowl game too.

RS Freshman - I too believe that English will be the one that will make an impact. He did play a few snaps against East Carolina, but he still will RS. From those few snaps he played, I noticed he's pretty quick off the line. Really expect for him to have a solid year backing up either Sutton or Clowney.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
uscsandstorm85
Bowl MVP

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Hold on now! It's not talking season YET!

Anyway, the defense will need more impact players to compliment Clowney next year. So I expect a few stand out players to emerge on that side of the ball.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Nothing else to talk about.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #6
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Defense: Jordan Diggs/Kaiwan Lewis
Offense: Cody Waldrop
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
2four2Gamecock
Stop slow blinking at me

Male

CockyCash: 4200
2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons2four2Gamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Salley, TD machine I hope
2four2Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

McWilliams, Diggs, Dukes, Elder and Alfy Hill on defense.

Offense, Kwinton Smith, Cody Waldrop, KJ Brent.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Hopefully Roland will emerge from his lackluster freshman season.
Not many freshman have excellent freshman seasons in the SEC.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

We aren't going to be relying on many freshmen. But the most logical choices would be Kwinton Smith, Cody Waldrop, and possibly a freshman linebacker. They have the best chance at signicant playing time, especially Smith. He will get every opportunity to take the B spot in the Spring.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #11
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

CockFighter has hatched from the shell

I expect Darius English to make the biggest impact. English is our fastest player out the linebackers and linemans. Rico McWilliams and Kwinton Smith should have a big impact. Rico is built like a linebacker but will play corner and Kwinton has gained some weight 6'4 220. Chaz Elder could possibly be another impact player.
CockFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockFighter View Post
I expect Darius English to make the biggest impact. English is our fastest player out the linebackers and linemans. Rico McWilliams and Kwinton Smith should have a big impact. Rico is built like a linebacker but will play corner and Kwinton has gained some weight 6'4 220. Chaz Elder could possibly be another impact player.
Forgot about Cody Waldrop. He will be an excellent center.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

English is probably going to run with the rabbits if I had to guess but he is still going to be at least a year away from being full time in the rotation. I also imagine they will bring Rico along slowly. I'm interested to see if he can change direction and turn his hips coming off that knee injury.

Another thing to consider is if they make the move with Rainey to LB, that opens up some PT for Drew Owens. He isn't the most fleet of foot, but he has the size to become an all purpose guy like Cunningham was and he could get onto the field a ton if he wants to block.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 12-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #14
CockFighter
yeah boy

Male

* Brad Lawing on the development of Darius English: "He's getting better. I just didn't need him (this season). He got dinged up a little bit, so we decided to go try and get a medical year for him. He's getting a little bit bigger. His ability to run and play with athleticism is the best thing he has going for him."
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #15
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Another thing to consider is if they make the move with Rainey to LB, that opens up some PT for Drew Owens. He isn't the most fleet of foot, but he has the size to become an all purpose guy like Cunningham was and he could get onto the field a ton if he wants to block.
You don't think that Jerrell and Rory will dominate the PT at that spot?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockFighter View Post
* Brad Lawing on the development of Darius English: "He's getting better. I just didn't need him (this season). He got dinged up a little bit, so we decided to go try and get a medical year for him. He's getting a little bit bigger. His ability to run and play with athleticism is the best thing he has going for him."
Which makes him a perfect fit for the rabbits. He is going to have to put on more mass before he takes over at one of the end spots full time.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 12-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
You don't think that Jerrell and Rory will dominate the PT at that spot?
No because Adams isn't a strong blocker. Whomever between Adams and Owens blocks better will be out there in the 2 TE packages.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 12-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
MLief
Walk On

Male

MLief is learning to peckMLief is learning to peck

Kwinton Smith on Offense, Chaz Elder on Defense after he's moved to Safety
MLief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #19
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:
I would say English too. Lawing told a buddy of mine that English might be the second best DE he has had at Carolina. He said he is athletic and has amazing instincts. Need him to get a little stronger but would be a beast.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
5lbYardcock
Blue Chip

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

Ronnie Martin on D and Pharoh Cooper on O.