CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
l^l^lBGCock
jrussjr
COCKYTALKIN
eightohhthree
A. Pilgrim
thekob
Lonnie
gamecockgal
Clowneygotcha
Acock's Wrap Up: Geo (2389)
Elliott Fry crushes (2320)
Tired of night games (1588)
The SEC East schedul (1130)
Cooper (1110)
20 of 31 former play (1050)
Coach Elliott pregam (914)
Been a pleasure talk (848)
What the heck is up (812)
Next years RB situat (698)
ECU fan here
Shout out to JT Surratt f
Luginbill says ECU should
Coach Elliott pregame.
Well, as it turns out, we
Next years RB situation
Defensive stand-around pl
Freaky Coincidence or Div
Cooper
Acock's Wrap Up: Georgia

Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 466
BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb
Default Best E-Reader

What do you all think is the best e-reader? Kindle Fire?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Best E-Reader

I like my Kindle Touch. When I was buying mine earlier this year, I learned the Kindle and Nook are very similar and deciding between them has more to do with where you would rather buy your books from. Nook is cool because you can go to a Barnes and Noble and read books there on your Nook, while Kindle is cool because you can rent for free one book a month with an Amazon Prime account.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

BigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his combBigSpenda864 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraiser24 View Post
I like my Kindle Touch. When I was buying mine earlier this year, I learned the Kindle and Nook are very similar and deciding between them has more to do with where you would rather buy your books from. Nook is cool because you can go to a Barnes and Noble and read books there on your Nook, while Kindle is cool because you can rent for free one book a month with an Amazon Prime account.
Thanks for the input. I like the idea of a book rental a month. I am getting it as a gift for my girlfriend and she doesn't spend much time at the book store. She is on the go a lot so it sounds like the Kindle might be better. Any real price difference in the books between Amazon and Barnes and Noble from your experience?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

If all you want to do is read books, then just go with the basic Amazon Kindle.

It's only $69 and has everything you need to read books.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
IMACOCK
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
IMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot materialIMACOCK is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
Thanks for the input. I like the idea of a book rental a month. I am getting it as a gift for my girlfriend and she doesn't spend much time at the book store. She is on the go a lot so it sounds like the Kindle might be better. Any real price difference in the books between Amazon and Barnes and Noble from your experience?
You get a free book every Friday on a Nook but it's not one you can pick out. You just have to go with whatever one they put out there.
IMACOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
BigSpenda864
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc467 View Post
If all you want to do is read books, then just go with the basic Amazon Kindle.

It's only $69 and has everything you need to read books.
Ok, cool. We have so many different ways to get apps, music, etc. (computers, phone, etc.) that the main purpose is to read books. The other is nice but not necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACOCK View Post
You get a free book every Friday on a Nook but it's not one you can pick out. You just have to go with whatever one they put out there.
Make's sense. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
hellraiser24
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1384
hellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot materialhellraiser24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSpenda864 View Post
I haven't noticed a difference in prices, but I have found navigating on the Amazon site to be eaiser for me.
"I can do all things through Him who gives me strength" - Philippians 4:13

hellraiser24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I've been looking into it too Spenda. From what I've read the Nexus 7 is a really good choice because you can do other stuff but it's a great reader aqnd you can download the nook and kindle apps to get the cheapest price for a book. BN is getting a lot of love for their new Nook HD tablet thing, but I dunno, it seems like amazon has a lot more stuff you can watch and listen to and read so that makes the think the fire might be the way to go. It looks like the nexus is a little more than the pure readers though. I'm probably going to hold off for us until they make the ipad mini more competitive. That screen and price just isn't a compelling option.

Last edited by LegalCock; 12-14-2012 at 04:03 PM.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

For just a simple reader this is the best: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OZNZG0/...l_9sgf8u2ha0_e

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #10
FurmanCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 540
FurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot materialFurmanCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
For just a simple reader this is the best: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OZNZG0/...l_9sgf8u2ha0_e
Yancey is spot on. I actually have two kindles. I bought the Kindle Fire last year -- having waited for a color screen from Kindle, and ended buying the Paperwhite several months ago to use just for reading. Nothing wrong with the Fire for what it is, but in my opinion nothing beats the Paperwhite for a dedicated reader.
FurmanCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

I have a second generation Kindle which I like. The Kindle Fire is backlit like a computer screen, so it's hard to read outside, and it's tougher on my eyes. The Kindle I have is not backlit. It's in black-and-white only, but I don't mind that. It's more like reading a print book. I think the Paperwhite which Yancey mentioned is the Kindle I have. I bought a flip cover for it, which I really like.

I wouldn't get a Nook. Indie authors don't always put their books on Nook because the formatting is difficult. Everyone publishes on Kindle; Amazon is huge and marketing there is fairly easy.

The lending feature is through Kindle Direct Publishing, and I don't use that. The author must promise to publish only with Kindle (no other e-book format) during the time in which he (or she) is in the KDP program. I like to have more control of my work.

Last edited by me4USC; 12-29-2012 at 01:53 AM.
me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
Chickaboowha
Walk On

Male

Chickaboowha has hatched from the shell

FYI, You can "check out" ebooks from the public library for free. My wife does it all the time for her nook.
Chickaboowha is offline   Reply With Quote