CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
Badazcock
b381l
Gamecockswag
cocksmith1or11
kingofnerf
NAGamecockFan
The Yancey
Travelin
conwaycock2
Freshman ND WR " (1144)
Good Riddance to bad (602)
The Comeback & T (528)
Bashing Players, coa (464)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (400)
Keeping tailgate foo (389)
ESPN Game Day Commen (294)
An A to Z of Noah We (277)
TeMarcus Blanton (250)
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (247)
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
2015 Commitment - Lorenzo
Why I think we beat Aubur
Rest of the season predic
Simple "yes" or
Battlefield 4
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Auburn game
Rank the QBs under Spurri

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #361
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Play whoever gives us the best chance to win.

/Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #362
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
Let me add, it's all about what you prefer.

I think there are a lot of people that love Connor for taking care of the ball and winning. So many people were tired of watching past QBs struggle. Annd have dumb turnovers that they really love what Connor does. And that's fine.
This is ultimately what its all about. We're in a fortunate position to have 2 guys who can get wins. I just wish Dondrial Pinkins still had eligibility, then we'd have a real controversy.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #363
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
That stat in no way accounts for the times that Connor is supposed to attempt a pass and takes off for a one yard gain. It is impossible to figure out the stats accurately because the main complaint about Connor is when he takes off and doesn't make yards. Those are not going to be considered incomplete passes, which they essentially are.
Those would be included in rushing attempts and moving the ball forward even for one yard is not the same as an incomplete pass.

It's funny when he scrambles and gets 10 yards he's everyones favorite gritty player but if he only gets one or two yards he should have just thrown it away.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #364
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Those would be included in rushing attempts.
Exactly. It won't show up in any passing stats. Which is why they don't tell the whole story.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #365
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Those would be included in rushing attempts and moving the ball forward even for one yard is not the same as an incomplete pass.

It's funny when he scrambles and gets 10 yards he's everyones favorite gritty player but if he only gets one or two yards he should have just thrown it away.
Nope not me. Can't stand running QBs. I'd rather him throw it and risk an incomplete pass then run it. And gain a yard or two.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #366
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post
It's also sad that posters tend to lump all of one side together. I certainly haven't said anything derogatory about either one.

I have explained Spurrier's stance as best I can tell. When you spend an entire offseason planning for a completely different offense then that ship has sailed. But given the fact I am not psychic I couldn't tell you the exact reason and wouldn't waste my time trying to. In the end it's irrelevant.

This isn't a "read Spurrier's mind" board. It's a Gamecock discussion board.
1. I said some on this thread, not all. I wasn't lumping everyone together.

2. Your explanation may make sense for everyone but Spurrier. Spurrier is well known for pulling qbs if he feels there is a better option. He has done it his entire career.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #367
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, but if we weren't this way, people would be complaining that we don't trust/follow Spurrier 'cause he says it the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Spurrier is well known for pulling qbs if he feels there is a better option. He has done it his entire career.
He was also once known for being the master and inventor of the fun and gun...now with CS we are the ground and pound...the man isn't above change and adaptation.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #368
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Here is a nice fact for both sides of the argument.

When DT starts we run something that resembles Spurrier's fun n gun.

When CS starts we run a bunch of zone read. And short passes.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #369
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:

Hard to argue this. Also hard to argue that we actually look like we know what we are doing as far as getting the play in and making audibles. A lot of that has to do with Spurrier being in his comfort zone. He doesn't have to rely on Mangus/Elliott to call a run play.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #370
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
He was also once known for being the master and inventor of the fun and gun...now with CS we are the ground and pound...the man isn't above change and adaptation.
Apparently whatever Connor brings to the table Spurrier likes, as he keeps starting him.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #371
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Apparently whatever Connor brings to the table Spurrier likes, as he keeps starting him.
This is what Spurrier said Saturday regarding which qb would play the most:

"I don't know how it's going to play out. I told someone the other day, I don't know which quarterback will play most of the game. I hope it doesn't turn into one of these, 'You messed up, you go in, well, you messed up, you go back in.' I'm hoping it's not going to turn into that. Maybe the guy who's playing the best continues to play, I don't know, how else to do it right now, except that way. Again, we plan on one guy playing most of the way."

Yes, Connor will start, but Dylan will come in. According to what Spurrier said, whoever is playing the best will stay in. This is a high pressure situation for both guys, and it's on the road. We'll see how it turns out.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #372
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
That is also why he has said all along that both QB's will play.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #373
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by klempsux View Post
That stat in no way accounts for the times that Connor is supposed to attempt a pass and takes off for a one yard gain. It is impossible to figure out the stats accurately because the main complaint about Connor is when he takes off and doesn't make yards. Those are not going to be considered incomplete passes, which they essentially are.
Actually they aren't..."essentially". It is a run...it's a mobile QB that runs when he gets pressure when an OL is not able to block most defenders from good defenses. I would take that ANY DAY than a sack or an interception...and going by the stats (facts)...Connor throws far more completions and TD's vs Ints than anyone else on our team...hence the best QB on our team

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #374
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:

So I guess the Tennessee game wasnt "fun and gun"?! It's hilarious how team Dylan just keeps ignoring the FACT that Dylan has only been able to open it up...or be a "gunslinger" against AWFUL DEFENSES!!! But when Connor throw for more yards (tenn) or throws more TDs (Ky) against bad D's...it gets overlooked bc he didn't do it against LSU or Florida...but who did do it against them? Dylan sure didnt in the 2nd half against Fla...where he played against the 2nd & 3rd string mostly. I just don't get why there is even a debate in this when the FACT is...Connor has PROVEN more!

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 AM   #375
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
That is also why he has said all along that both QB's will play.
Yeah...but wouldn't you think he would START the best QB?

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #376
Loathor
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 570
Loathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
It's hard to judge that when you include games in which Thompson played mop-up with the second string. Shaw never played with the second string, and except Thompson's ECU, UAB, and CU games, he didn't have first string players to block for him or catch the ball. By the time we played CU, he didn't have Lattimore either. I also think his time in the second half of the Florida game is suspect, because the team was already tired and discouraged by the time he went in.

In those three games (ECU, UAB, and CU), he was 49-88, 817 yards, nearly 56% completion, and a little better than 14.6 yards per completion. Before you discount this entirely, look at his stats for last year. He had a 100% completion rate with 8.5 yards per carry and a rating of 171.4. The stinger is that he threw only two passes last season. You can make stats say anything you want them to say.

I agree with Mark Twain. "Figures often beguile me, particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"
- Mark Twain's Own Autobiography: The Chapters from the North American Review
For comparrison's sake... Against Missouri, Georgia and Tennessee (Georgia instead of Arkansas because he only threw ten passes against Georgia, which is the same number DT threw against UAB) Shaw was 48-63 for 767 yards. That's a 76% completion percentage and a 15.97 yard per completion average (Thompson has a 16.67 YPC in the games you gave, btw). While Thompson has a nearly yard better YPC, his yards per attempt is three yards less (9.28 to Shaw's 12.17) from throwing 25 more times, but only completing one more pass.

(If you use Arkansas instead of Georgia (for you yardage lovers out there...) he was 56-75 for 877 yards. 74.66% completion percentage, 11.69 YPA and 15.66 YPC... so it's still better with more passes from Connor)
Old 12-30-2012, 05:49 AM   #377
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
SIt's hilarious how team Dylan just keeps ignoring the FACT that Dylan has only been able to open it up...or be a "gunslinger" against AWFUL DEFENSES!!! !
Well perhaps that is because those are the games that he has been allowed to start. He couldn't have done worse against Florida or LSU than CS did and having to mop up CS's mess against Florida doesn't count as a start.

Quote:
Yeah...but wouldn't you think he would START the best QB?
I would think that he would start the incumbent. You don't usually lose your starting position because of injury. But the FACT that Spurrier has been adamant all along that both QB's would play in the bowl game and that today he stated he really didn't know which QB would play the bulk of the game would tell me that you are much more convinced by CS than Spurrier seems to be.

Here's an interesting little fact...Connor Shaw has lost 3 games as a starter...Dylan Thompson is undefeated as a starter.
to come true." Bodhi.

Last edited by Cocky2001; 12-30-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #378
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Well perhaps that is because those are the games that he has been allowed to start. He couldn't have done worse against Florida or LSU than CS did and having to mop up CS's mess against Florida doesn't count as a start.

I would think that he would start the incumbent. You don't usually lose your starting position because of injury. But the FACT that Spurrier has been adamant all along that both QB's would play in the bowl game and that today he stated he really didn't know which QB would play the bulk of the game would tell me that you are much more convinced by CS than Spurrier seems to be.

Here's an interesting little fact...Connor Shaw has lost 3 games as a starter...Dylan Thompson is undefeated as a starter.
couldn't have done worse against florida or lsu??? really??? this is about as narrow minded as it gets. he came with in two points of defeating a top ten lsu, at tiger stadium on a saturday night. care to guess how many times the tigers have lost at home on a saturday night over the last ten years? and if memory serves me right, special teams had most of the blunders against florida. and your boy thompson had more than his fair share of time to right the ship at florida. how did that work out for us?

no, you normally lose your starting position to a better qb. so finally you are paying attention to what spurrier thinks? wow! you've ignored it this entire thread, and since spurrier finally said something you could use, all of the sudden his opinion counts. and for the record, he has been adamant that connor was the starter, not that both would play. he has said that both would play, but has always been adamant about connor starting.

and here's an interesting little FACT for you, connor has faced uga as a top six team, florida as a top five team, lsu as a top ten team, tenn, arkie (while they were top ten team), miss st (while they were top twenty team), clempscum and nebraska while they were top twenty teams. and he has a 16-3 career record. thompson has faced a nobody, and an admittedly highly overrated clempscum team, with one of the worst defenses in the nation. the same defense that gave up gigantic point totals to some pretty horrible offenses in the acc. yet, thompson with more offensive chances than almost any of our other games this year or last, managed to put up ONLY 27 points on them, and almost throw SIX int's.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #379
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:

Spurrier has supplanted the incumbent over and over again. Does he give them a little more leash, yes, but Connor was the starter last year, got supplanted by Garcia and then got the job back. Tommy Beecher also started the season, played badly and was injured, and he never got the job back. That's just our team and two situations I can think of off the top of my head. If you really want to discuss this let's do it, but don't make stuff up when the truth pokes holes in your theory. This is twice now we've heard that Spurrier doesn't supplant incumbents who earn the job in the offseason, that flies in the face of everything he's ever said, done, the pattern of our team this year with the best person playing not toto mention the quote you just provided that the guy who is playing best would play.

As for your interesting little fact, you do realize there is a pretty big difference in the number of starts, right? I have also lost zero games as a starter, as have you. Maybe one of us should be qb?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #380
SimpleGamecock
Recruit

Male

SimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
So I guess the Tennessee game wasnt "fun and gun"?! It's hilarious how team Dylan just keeps ignoring the FACT that Dylan has only been able to open it up...or be a "gunslinger" against AWFUL DEFENSES!!! But when Connor throw for more yards (tenn) or throws more TDs (Ky) against bad D's...it gets overlooked bc he didn't do it against LSU or Florida...but who did do it against them? Dylan sure didnt in the 2nd half against Fla...where he played against the 2nd & 3rd string mostly. I just don't get why there is even a debate in this when the FACT is...Connor has PROVEN more!
I think the point that they are making is we have seen more than just a few games from Connor and we have seen 19 starts and to say he runs the "fun n gun" isn't entirely accurate just because of a few games against horrible defenses. In fact it is pretty well documented that Spurrier runs the Zone Read to play to Connors strengths and he points to Elliot in helping implement it. Dylan does not have the athleticism Connor has and plays more like a traditional QB. I keep hearing the Florida game brought up and it should be noted that Dylan and Connor both had 20 pass attempts and Connor had 9 completions vs. Dylan's 8, while Dylan had more yards than Connor.To discredit Dylan against Florida is not fair in the sense that Florida knew we needed to pass the rest of the game and brought pressure. Florida may have used 2nd or 3rd strings late in the game but I would guarantee you the way Florida recruits those 2nd or 3rd strings would start on either of the teams you mentioned. To put all the blame on Connor is not fair either because let's face we just laid an egg that game.

Again as many have pointed out it is a style preference of a Dual Threat vs Pocket Passer. That you cannot argue with.
Closed Thread