CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
RGHoskins
Gamecocks1137
El Cid Ranger
kingofnerf
ReadR00ster
The Yancey
2000grad
gadeneer1986
taylorssc
Fight, win, kick a-- (1076)
SC vs Auburn -- Play (916)
CFN prediction for a (853)
Why I'm hopeful abou (782)
The Gator Bowl wants (766)
USC will upset Aubur (648)
A simple defensive l (630)
What happened to thi (599)
Ranking Top HC jobs (452)
In-state QB talent (405)
A simple defensive line &
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
The Gator Bowl wants us!
Thoughts on the basketbal
Ranking the SEC Football
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Media tabs South Carolina
Cann tipping plays?
Name a Gamecock
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #401
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dylan Thompson To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted hamlin View Post
For my 2 cents I prefer DT as our QB, but want CS to start because if anyone deserves to start this Bowl Game it is CS. He's earned the respect of everyone for his gallant play all season. While reading this extra long thread over the last 10 days or so, something I haven't seen anyone address is my hunch that Robinson is more than likely going to start for Michigan and will probably be healed enough or shot up enough to be able to throw well enough to be a Dual threat. I believe if that does happen, Mich. will try running straight at Clowney, at least early in the game. They have imposing size if not skill on the offensive line, so I see that as a possibility. If Robinson can throw, it will make the game a tougher test for us. Just think of this, Mich. has practiced against a good Dual threat QB all year in Robinson, and so have we in Shaw. As both starters are recovering from injury neither will be at their best, from a rust standpoint. Our front 4 is better than theirs, which will make the rest of our D better than theirs. Our receiving core is better than theirs ESPECIALLY if our TE's are effectively blended into our attack. I think Mich. will be better able to defend against Shaw than Thompson because of his slower reads and delivery and the fact that until he was injured their !st defense practiced against Shaw's style of play in Robinson. If it comes down to the 2 #2 QB's I'll take Ours over theirs All the Way !!! Hope whoever starts for us has a great game, but something tells me that DT will be the Positive X factor For a Gamecock Victory. GOOO COCKS!!!
Good post. Got some meat to it (a welcome change for this thread). I would imagine that nearly everyone agrees with what you have said. I know I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripitandripit2007 View Post
I don't see AT ALL where Connor has slower reads or a slower delivery...
Really? Well then, I think that we'll all stipulate that you are blind in your bias to CS...moving on...
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #402
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Quote:
Of course an interception is the worse thing a QB can do...think about that...TO's kill drives & kill teams...
Fumbles are the worst thing a QB can do.

Sacks and interceptions are next, but which is worse completely depends on the situation. Both equate to TO's. INT's at least mean we gave a WR a chance to make a play.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #403
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post

Sacks and interceptions are next, but which is worse completely depends on the situation. Both equate to TO's. INT's at least mean we gave a WR a chance to make a play.
<ahem>...florida...<ahem>
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #404
pantera17
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1057615
pantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot materialpantera17 is USC mascot material

Yea CS has a long slow throwing motion. It's so ugly. Haha.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #405
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantera17 View Post
Yea CS has a long slow throwing motion. It's so ugly. Haha.
My sister and I actually sat in the stands and told each other where he was going with the ball. His passes aren't all that's slow. There is no "sneak" in that qb.

Quote:
Cocky2001, was that said in your Gollum voice?

I think Shaw's confidence has taken a beating most of the season. I doubt Thompson's play at Clemson helped that situation either, and Spurrier's weekend comments couldn't have helped. Shaw now knows that if he doesn't perform well, he'll come out and Thompson will play the rest of the game if he's doing well. I really hope Shaw gets his mojo back, because we need both of them.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #406
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material

Is it weird to anyone else that this seems to be the regular cycle?

Start a guy, something comes up late in the season that brings the back-up in, start the backup late in the year/bowl game, and then get ready to rinse and repeat next year.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #407
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
Good post. Got some meat to it (a welcome change for this thread). I would imagine that nearly everyone agrees with what you have said. I know I do.

Really? Well then, I think that we'll all stipulate that you are blind in your bias to CS...moving on...
IM BIASED?!!! I am relying on facts...twist the stats all u want to...when it's all said and done...the best QB has the best stats...and Connor has the better overall stats even though he has played tougher teams

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 AM   #408
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
It's absolutely hilarious how fans blame the loss to Florida on Connor bc he fumbled...when not only did Ace fumble, & Byrd fumble...which both were also turned in to TDs...but everyone seems to forget that we scored more with Connor in than Dylan (and that was with a FG that was blocked). But yet...some think I am the "biased" one!! Hahaha

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #409
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKYTALKIN View Post

Like u said...it's according to the situation. More defensive TDs come from ints than they do fumble recoverys. And IMO...a lot of QB fumbles come from an OL making mistakes (missing blocks) which is not as much the QBs fault as interceptions which is caused by bad passes most of the time

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 AM   #410
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
My sister and I actually sat in the stands and told each other where he was going with the ball. His passes aren't all that's slow. There is no "sneak" in that qb.
I notice that team Connor didn't address this...

Quote:
Cocky2001, was that said in your Gollum voice?

Quote:
IM BIASED?!!!
Take the "?" out of there and for once you'll be 100% correct! (except for your grammar)

Quote:
I am relying on facts...
Being able to find stats on the internet and being able to properly understand and apply them are two totally different things. You have the first one down pat...congrats to you...I guess.

Quote:
It's absolutely hilarious how fans blame the loss to Florida on Connor bc he fumbled...when not only did Ace fumble, & Byrd fumble...which both were also turned in to TDs...but everyone seems to forget that we scored more with Connor in than Dylan (and that was with a FG that was blocked). But yet...some think I am the "biased" one!! Hahaha
I just pointed out an example of what the poster was saying that we are all way too familiar with...you are the only one conjuring up all of this other stuff...and you are biased...and in this post you left out that you are also blind...but we already knew that.

Quote:
And IMO...a lot of QB fumbles come from an OL making mistakes (missing blocks) which is not as much the QBs fault as interceptions which is caused by bad passes most of the time
And yet we have never heard you compliment the offensive line when Connor has done something good...wonders never cease. So...when we win Connor did great and when we lose it's the team's fault?

Whether or not a lineman makes a block it is the responsibility of the ball carrier to hold onto the ball...

Regardless, I can name one fumble that wasn't the fault of any offensive lineman...wanna take a stab at it?

Quote:
I think Shaw's confidence has taken a beating most of the season. I doubt Thompson's play at Clemson helped that situation either, and Spurrier's weekend comments couldn't have helped. Shaw now knows that if he doesn't perform well, he'll come out and Thompson will play the rest of the game if he's doing well. I really hope Shaw gets his mojo back, because we need both of them.
Bingo! I think we have a winner! (esp with that last line)
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:56 AM   #411
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I notice that team Connor didn't address this
When did everything have to become Team This and Team That? This crap was championed by people trying to decide if they were more into bestiality or necrophelia so can we drop this stupid part of things.

That aside why would that comment need to be addressed? I know a guy who thinks when we have home games and he yells to run the ball and the coaches do that Spurrier hears him and is taking his advice. Does that make it factual because he believes it? What's the big deal about sitting in the stands, seeing where a QB is making his read and then noticing he's throwing it to the open receiver? Something tells me about 70,000+ people do the same thing. Regardless if he was really that predictable on the field his completion percentage would be much lower and his turnovers would be much higher.

As for the attempts to discredit stats or to try and justify them for an argument the problem is when you move away from what the base piece of the stat is your simply trying to push your opinion on them. Stats in and of themselves aren't collected with any kind of bias which is why they are so popular in sports. There's no bias in whether you completed a pass or not, how many yards a completion went for and whether you threw an interception or not. Just because a stat doesn't support your opinion doesn't mean it is wrong or should be excluded from a discussion.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #412
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
When did everything have to become Team This and Team That?
Here you go...

Quote:
So I guess the Tennessee game wasnt "fun and gun"?! It's hilarious how team Dylan...blah, blah, blah...
If you don't know, ask...don't post about your personal internal demons...
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 AM   #413
snoopcockycock
Banned

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Thank you guys for making my point! Bravo! Facts are truth, but how they are presented...skewed...and the things implied with/by them aren't necessarily 100% true. There are a few posting here that like doing this but think that no one else notices. A few pages back, Connor was responsible for his 16-3 record, now teams win and lose...I guess that helped his biased argument.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the same left knee that shortened my football days long ago would rear its ugly head pretty quickly.
what point? you had no point. of course it takes an entire team to win and lose games, but the qb is the leader, and directs the offense. so everything runs through him. so when we win or lose, it is greatly attributed to him, MOST of the time. so your point is crap.

...and don't you mean left thumb? your playing days, huh? thank you for making me laugh! your comments suggest you had a long and remarkable football career with xbox.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #414
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
what point? you had no point.
I do not believe that anyone on this site is surprised that you failed to get this point. I know that I am not.
to come true." Bodhi.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 AM   #415
yazoo
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1813
yazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot materialyazoo is USC mascot material

Quote:

Not all of us will stipulate. Maybe we will all stipulate that you are a tater.

Shaq Attack
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 AM   #416
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I will respond to it, Cocky2001, but I am not team Connor, just team Gamecock. What I think people like the poster above fail to realize is that Connor Shaw is one of the best quarterbacks in the country. Yes, the country. He did things at the end of last year that were simply amazing. His stats were very impressive to close the the year, and he got a lot of national attention for it.. His season this year was good, not great, but we know that he was injured pretty much the entire season. Some want to discount that and say that he shouldn't play if that were the case but it's not his job to decide if he plays or not, that is the job of the coaches. Comments like this the bug me because we have people sitting in the stands trying to actually second guess one of the best athletes in the country who happens to be our starting quarterback and is doing his absolute best to help us win. You may have made the argument in the past that our quarterback did not do his absolute best to help us win on and off the field but you cannot say that about Connor Shaw. Not only that, the coaches believe he gives us the best chance to win because they keep starting him. And there is the little fact he has helped us win our most games ever 2 seasons in a row. Believe or not, that takes a good quarterback.

Not only are such comments unnecessary, they are untrue. NFL cornerbacks and safeties from the likes of Georgia, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc. cannot figure out how to defeat him so easily, apparently we need everyone on the forum to walk on to the team and we'd win the national championship.

Quote:
This has always been the case with Spurrier, the best qb plays. That's why Shaw starting is significant. His confidence will be fine, and if Spurrier decides dylan gives us a better chance to win I'll wave his flag all day long. I wish everyone would do that for whoever our coaches choose to put out there.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #417
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Take the "?" out of there and for once you'll be 100% correct! (except for your grammar)

BAHAHAHA! Yeah...ok buddy...you sound like a tater troll...maybe you should find your way back over to Tigernet

Being able to find stats on the internet and being able to properly understand and apply them are two totally different things. You have the first one down pat...congrats to you...I guess.

Wow...just wow...yeah...this further confirms my comment above...stats are facts...just b/c you don't agree with them doesn't mean they are applied properly or misunderstood. The FACT that Connor has better stats is just that...a FACT! I know many tater fans who try to twist the stats to try to help their team and their argument...if it looks like a duck...and talks like a duck...guess what?

I just pointed out an example of what the poster was saying that we are all way too familiar with...you are the only one conjuring up all of this other stuff...and you are biased...and in this post you left out that you are also blind...but we already knew that.

I am blind? And I AM conjuring up stuff?!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I am just simply going off of the stats and the eye test together...you sound like you are the one that is off in left field and trying to twist anything you can to help your biased opinions

And yet we have never heard you compliment the offensive line when Connor has done something good...wonders never cease. So...when we win Connor did great and when we lose it's the team's fault?

Comprehension is not your strong point is it? I just explained a few posts ago that I don't go by the record when comparing players...b/c it's not an individual that wins games...it's the team. I have used the record to take up for Shaw before when someone was bashing him and saying how awful of a QB he was...so the record gives both him and Dylan some credit b/c they are the leaders of the offense...but as far as comparing players...I have ALWAYS said it's a team effort and don't use the record. Hopefully after saying this for the 2nd time it will sink in with you this time...i doubt it though

Whether or not a lineman makes a block it is the responsibility of the ball carrier to hold onto the ball...

I understand that...but when a lineman or receiver or back misses a block...and a QB gets hit by someone twice his side from the blind side and never see's it coming...you aren't going to hang on to it every time...that is just common sense

Regardless, I can name one fumble that wasn't the fault of any offensive lineman...wanna take a stab at it?

Again...COM-PRE-HEN-SION...
wasn't saying that this one or any was or wasn't his fault...this one didn't come from his blind side...but i do think it was more Kenny's fault for not picking up the block...but b/c he fumbled it was his fault...i get that...but i was merely speaking in general...in general fumbles caused by QB's that don't see a player coming and gets drilled b/c another player misses a block is not as much the QB's fault than throwing the ball to a defender IN GENERAL

Bingo! I think we have a winner! (esp with that last line)[/quote]

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM   #418
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

If you don't know, ask...don't post about your personal internal demons...[/quote]

Again buddy...COM-PRE-HEN-SION...try a little harder at it...
Usually a question mark means it is a question...hence the asking

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #419
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
Not all of us will stipulate. Maybe we will all stipulate that you are a tater.

So i'm not the only one! LOL

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #420
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
I will respond to it, Cocky2001, but I am not team Connor, just team Gamecock. What I think people like the poster above fail to realize is that Connor Shaw is one of the best quarterbacks in the country. Yes, the country. He did things at the end of last year that were simply amazing. His stats were very impressive to close the the year, and he got a lot of national attention for it.. His season this year was good, not great, but we know that he was injured pretty much the entire season. Some want to discount that and say that he shouldn't play if that were the case but it's not his job to decide if he plays or not, that is the job of the coaches. Comments like this the bug me because we have people sitting in the stands trying to actually second guess one of the best athletes in the country who happens to be our starting quarterback and is doing his absolute best to help us win. You may have made the argument in the past that our quarterback did not do his absolute best to help us win on and off the field but you cannot say that about Connor Shaw. Not only that, the coaches believe he gives us the best chance to win because they keep starting him. And there is the little fact he has helped us win our most games ever 2 seasons in a row. Believe or not, that takes a good quarterback.

Not only are such comments unnecessary, they are untrue. NFL cornerbacks and safeties from the likes of Georgia, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc. cannot figure out how to defeat him so easily, apparently we need everyone on the forum to walk on to the team and we'd win the national championship.

This has always been the case with Spurrier, the best qb plays. That's why Shaw starting is significant. His confidence will be fine, and if Spurrier decides dylan gives us a better chance to win I'll wave his flag all day long. I wish everyone would do that for whoever our coaches choose to put out there.

POST OF THE YEAR!!!! HOW CAN YOU ARGUE WITH THAT?!! WELL SAID!!

GO CONNOR AND GO DYLAN!!! BEAT THE WOLVERINES FOR BACK TO BACK 11 WIN SEASONS!!!

WIN ANYWAY!!

Closed Thread