CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
COCKYTALKIN
Spurticus
b381l
sanford
B-G
thekob
Rooster'srule
TAFC 5 1981
usc1
uscjeremynca
Lattimore Sidelined (1217)
Gurley or Davis (1152)
Expect A Healthy Dos (990)
Steve Spurrier - Say (931)
Coach's media golf p (524)
A house just blew up (460)
South Carolina Footb (409)
college football mat (406)
Minda Kacinas Q& (222)
Marines confront fak (178)
Green and Lammons
2015 - Mon Denson
iPhone repair
Gurley or Davis
Expect A Healthy Dose of
Dawg DL man arrested for
Texags
2014-15 Premier League se
Name a Gamecock
2015 - Christian Pellage

Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material
Default Frank Martin question.

Why did Frank leave K State? Was it money? something else? I'm just curious.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material
Default Re: Frank Martin question.

Wanted a challenge
Old 12-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
CockyMBA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
CockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his clawsCockyMBA is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
Why did Frank leave K State? Was it money? something else? I'm just curious.
1. Gotta pay raise.
2. He's an east coast guy so he's closer to his hometown (Miami) and his recruiting ties. (He considered going to the U when that job was open recently)
3. Also, the K-State AD was a micro-manager & it was worse because he didn't hire Martin.
4. the challenge (of winning here and filling up 18,000 seats). K-State has 12,500.

Quote:
The Kansas City Star, citing a source who is close to Martin, reported in the Tuesday edition of the newspaper that Martin did not feel he had the full support of his athletic director and president at Kansas State and he did not feel he had the freedom and the trust of the K-State administration to perform his job as coach to the best of his ability.
CockyMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Gamecock1983
I kill threads.

Male

CockyCash: 10204
Gamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPitGamecock1983 rules the CockPit

Personally, I think it was a combination of several factors.

That spat with the K-State AD during the tournament last year left him ready to walk away. He wanted a challenge and the SC job offered a lot to him. It put him in position to utilize his recruiting pipelines into NY and FL to build a program from the ground up and stamp his name on it. If Frank can build a team here (I believe he will.) then there will be no denial that it was his work. He took over a program that was in shambles and Horn left the cupboard bare.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

South Carolina has a much, much bigger fan base than does K-State - mid point between his home in Miami and Anya's home in NYC and you can fly to NYC from Columbia in the time it took to drive from Manhattan, Ks. to the airport in KCMO. We also had a challenge available here and a huge fan base that will adore him when he makes us a winner in basketball. He is also making a lot more money. If he turns men's bball around, our 4 major sports will all be top 10/top 20 consistently.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

He's gonna wake up a sleeping giant.............
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
He's gonna wake up a sleeping giant.............
I have been waiting a long time for that too. I had high hopes with Horn but we know how that turned out.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 AM   #8
gAmkok
Eh.

Male

CockyCash: 200
gAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPitgAmkok rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier_Superior_One View Post
I have been waiting a long time for that too. I had high hopes with Horn but we know how that turned out.
Horn was never a high major coach. Given the right situation, I think he could be a pretty good mid major coach, but he's got several fatal flaws that will always prevent him from being successful at a big program. I was hopeful for him too - that stuff didn't become blatantly obvious right away.

Martin is a different case - he's a "basketball guy" who loves the game and not just being called a coach. He's the guy who will revive basketball around here. Hopefully he'll be here for a while.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
chaostheorysc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 900
chaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudlychaostheorysc is crowing loudly

Didn't really want to start a new thread for this, but does anyone know how many people are usually at the call in show at Wild Wings? and how early one would have to show up to get a good seat?
chaostheorysc is offline   Reply With Quote