CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
sporkgod50
ccured
rioninusc
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R
The Yancey
Captain9Dragons
Regalcock
CockyLifer
gotrice?
Gamecock Park to be (499)
A'ja Wilson.. the ne (123)
Florida renaming field at
More SEC re-alignment tho
Jim Toman out at liberty
Gamecock Park to be named
***O******l O***a T****d*
Discussion: 2017 Recruiti
2017 - Chase Hayden
How Does South Carolina R
Steam summer sale on now
A'ja Wilson.. the next fa

Old 12-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #501
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2052283
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material
Default Re: Alex Smith on Cam Newton

I think that physically Cam has as much if not more talent than anyone in the NFL. Its his mental and leadership qualities that are questionable.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:58 PM   #502
cockyfreshman2014
now a junior

Male

CockyCash: 500
cockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I think that physically Cam has as much if not more talent than anyone in the NFL. Its his mental and leadership qualities that are questionable.
I think he showed something yesterday when he hurt his ankle pretty bad in a close game that in reality meant nothing. But he did everything he could to get back in the game. The sideline reporter said he didn't look away from the big screen once while he was on the trainers table. I think that says something about his leadership and caring about his teammates and team.
cockyfreshman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #503
803scdantes
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material

I can't stand Scam.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #504
cockyfreshman2014
now a junior

Male

cockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot materialcockyfreshman2014 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 803scdantes View Post
I can't stand Scam.
great analysis
cockyfreshman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #505
NCgamecock1981
Entrenched Starter

Male

CockyCash: 80000
NCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his combNCgamecock1981 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I think that's becoming an increasingly invalid argument. I really think the way he approached the game and his leadership drastically changed (for the better) after the Denver debacle.

RGIII had a great year this year. Luck had a pretty good year too. So did Cam when he was a rookie. However, defenses adjust, as Cam found out earlier this season. I'm not willing to say RGIII or Luck have a better future than Cam until I see how they do next September.

BTW RGIII should be the ROY hands down. Much higher QB rating, yards per attempt, and completion percentage than Luck and tons less INT's to boot.
NCgamecock1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #506
uscfreek88
I was right about Cam

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I would too.

My comment about RG3 wrapping it up wasn't my choice, I just feel that's who's going to win it considering where he plays, what his team did, and his flashy numbers. (remember it's an AP voted award)
I also think Russell Wilson is getting disrespected by not being mentioned in the OROY debate. And that because he plays in Seattle.

Like I said, for every 2 steps back SSO takes in the Cam debate you take a step Forward
i get where you coming from, the RG3 hype has been insane...and a big reason i think that Wilson doesnt get the hype is b/c he has the best D out of all 4 of those teams hands down (Carolina, Indy, Was, and Seattle)....also beast mode to hand off too

and thanks, glad someone thinks i make some valid points lol
Old 05-19-2016, 11:03 AM   #507
uscfreek88
I was right about Cam

Male

uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
All three of those rookies are in the playoffs. So when Cam does that may be then be can be classified as a good QB. He is nowhere near elite. The panthers won 6 games and 4 of them were against god awful teams that had basically quit on their coach. Also how can you claim anything about divisions when the panthers are playing in as weak a division as anyone else. Bucs and Saints were weak this year and yet they barely beat either team once in their 4 tries. So only team to worry a out this year was falcons and no one is sold on them being legit.

Luck had just as much preseason as newton, since Stanford is trimester and didn't finish the spring until July. Luck had to miss all those training camps because of league rules. Either way, the off season excuse is a joke.

You complain about D and no OL. Have you watched the redskins? They have had no OL and their D gives up 27 points a game, yet RG III has them in the playoffs. Great QBs are leaders and make their team better, Cam is not that.
I have not posted in over a year but I had to come back after this past season to serve up a lot of crow.....I really hope this guy is still here b/c he has the biggest plate
Old 05-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #508
CockyDevil
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2239
CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
I have not posted in over a year but I had to come back after this past season to serve up a lot of crow.....I really hope this guy is still here b/c he has the biggest plate

Believe it or not, the guy has actually doubled down since then. I can get that there are reasons to not like Cam. I really can. But some of this stuff is just hilarious.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #509
aten999
Banned

Male

aten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot material

Cam is a great QB and football player overall...His relative lack of humility will not allow him to be a favorite of many...What worked for Joe Namath and Dan Marino simply will not work for him...Cockiness and arrogance are admired in some athletes but not tolerated in others...Just the way it is...
aten999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #510
CockyDevil
Household Name

Male

CockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot materialCockyDevil is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by aten999 View Post
Cam is a great QB and football player overall...His relative lack of humility will not allow him to be a favorite of many...What worked for Joe Namath and Dan Marino simply will not work for him...Cockiness and arrogance are admired in some athletes but not tolerated in others...Just the way it is...

The thing is, those things only matter to the people whose team you don't play for. In other words, it doesn't matter.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #511
aten999
Banned

Male

aten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot materialaten999 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyDevil View Post
The thing is, those things only matter to the people whose team you don't play for. In other words, it doesn't matter.
agreed
aten999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #512
gamecockphan
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Not exactly true. He's the highest paid spokesman in the NFL (active player - Peyton was #1 but is now retired).

He also has his own kids show on Nickelodeon and was in the top 3 in jersey sales for men, women, and children last year.

Cam dabs and it becomes a nation-wide phenomenon.

Bottom line - he's one of the most popular players in the league.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #513
robgusc76
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
There isnt a professional athlete on this planet that isnt cocky or arrogant in some sort of way. If you don't think you;re the best on the field you'll lose.

None of this has anything to do with his natural ability. He's the best athlete in the NFL right now...You can try to argue it, but its true. All these people talking about the "mental" aspect of his game, he's gotten over that hurdle as well for the most part. Its a maturation process.

What pisses me off, and this is the same with Lebron James is that people can't past their dislike for someone to see how good he really is. Lebron james is still the best all around player in the NBA. There is NO ONE as physically dominant as him right now, but people dislike him, so they won't admit it. Same with Cam Newton.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #514
gamecockphan
2nd Team All-American

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post
There isnt a professional athlete on this planet that isnt cocky or arrogant in some sort of way. If you don't think you;re the best on the field you'll lose.

None of this has anything to do with his natural ability. He's the best athlete in the NFL right now...You can try to argue it, but its true. All these people talking about the "mental" aspect of his game, he's gotten over that hurdle as well for the most part. Its a maturation process.

What pisses me off, and this is the same with Lebron James is that people can't past their dislike for someone to see how good he really is. Lebron james is still the best all around player in the NBA. There is NO ONE as physically dominant as him right now, but people dislike him, so they won't admit it. Same with Cam Newton.
He's polarizing. He's extremely popular, especially with people under the age of 30 but his critics are very vocal and hate him with a passion.

Add to it that his critics are having to eat a shitload of crow, they end up hating him more and moving the uprights further out to define success. These same haters will deify Luck and praise him even though Luck hasn't accomplished 1/2 of what Newton has in his college/pro career.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #515
RaleighGamecock10
Banned

Male

RaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his comb

Cam Newton is one of the best players in the NFL.

But I dislike him.
RaleighGamecock10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #516
uscfreek88
I was right about Cam

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgusc76 View Post

totally agree! the funny thing is those Lebron haters will say Curry is the best player in the league (which I think as well but I would still choose Lebron to start a franchise over the next 3 years bc he is more valuable and versatile) but I bring all of this up b/c they hate on Cam and Lebron b/c they are arrogant but Curry is just as arrogant on the court as Cam is on the field and Lebron doesnt even come close to how arrogant Curry is

that ^ is the definition of a hater
Old 05-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #517
robgusc76
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 101200
robgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot materialrobgusc76 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to robgusc76

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
totally agree! the funny thing is those Lebron haters will say Curry is the best player in the league (which I think as well but I would still choose Lebron to start a franchise over the next 3 years bc he is more valuable and versatile) but I bring all of this up b/c they hate on Cam and Lebron b/c they are arrogant but Curry is just as arrogant on the court as Cam is on the field and Lebron doesnt even come close to how arrogant Curry is

that ^ is the definition of a hater
I made this point last night on Facebook. People destroy Cam for dancing and being "arrogant" but Curry celebrates a three by staring down a bench before the shot goes in and he's praised. The difference is Curry is a "family man" and Cam is billed as a thug.

Its ridiculous.
robgusc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #518
CockyDevil
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn4lyf View Post
Top 3 QB currently he wont be
People keep getting their teeth kicked in making these Cam predictions, so why do they continue to do it?
Old 05-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #519
RaleighGamecock10
Banned

Male

RaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his combRaleighGamecock10 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyDevil View Post
People keep getting their teeth kicked in making these Cam predictions, so why do they continue to do it?
You talking about this exact one? He made in 2012?
RaleighGamecock10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:59 PM   #520
gamecockphan
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn4lyf View Post
Cam will never be a top 3 QB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighGamecock10 View Post
You talking about this exact one? He made in 2012?

"Never" doesn't have an expiration date.

I wasn't sure if Cam would be top 3 but I wouldn't have said never. I called him top 10 right before he got his extension and I got raked over the coals in that thread.