CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
taylorssc
KaneisAble
GamecockSuperFan
DTGCOCKS#32
Master Bedroom
GarnetSwarm1990
The Yancey
Pw00132
carolinacocky
HBC Weekly Presser (1249)
Thompson Has Neck In (1109)
Funny? (1031)
Nosovitch (689)
Zone Read Analysis w (623)
What fish do you eat (576)
KY Suspends 4 Player (512)
Clowney didnt get ma (424)
Mizzou's 30sec touch (372)
4th & 1 Play (348)
Funny?
State talent drying up
QB Recruiting Strategy
HBC Weekly Presser
10-2
Defer Or Not?
Mizzou's 30sec touchdown
Thompson Has Neck Injury
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso

Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #41
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material
Default Re: The Hobbit

I need to go see this. Read the book and trilogy. I know it's gotta be great.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #42
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

saw it twice. i liked it quite a bit.

however - i have some major grievances with the omissions and inclusions of a few things.

1) This is not a prequel to the LOTR. This is the story of Bilbo (in which he happens to find the ring). Tying in Sarumon and Galadriel was dumb. Gandalf saying he's assisting the dwarves because Smaug would be a powerful weapon in the hands of the enemy is also dumb.

2) The stakes aren't as high in this story. This story is about Bilbo's adventure in helping dwarves get back their gold.... not the destruction of Men in MIddle Earth (like LOTR). But you can't help but feel like Jackson wants us to feel as if the stakes are high.

3) Thorin is a rather self-obsessed, pompous dwarf in the book. He is not the Aragorn of this series. He's a dwarf prince. Aragorn's a bad mother scruncher. Thorin isn't.

4) The pale orc vengeance sublot was dumb.

5) I missed the practical fx from LOTR trilogy - specifically with the orcs.

6) Also, Radagast being the wizard who discovers the Necromancer and Witch King is dumb. Gandalf retrieves the key to the hidden door of Erebor after meeting Thrain and defeating the Necromancer. Radagast is lame. And so were his rabbits.

That being said, I still really enjoyed the film. I was too happy to be back in Middle Earth to do anything but geek out.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #43
dreammachine
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcclane View Post
saw it twice. i liked it quite a bit.

however - i have some major grievances with the omissions and inclusions of a few things.

1) This is not a prequel to the LOTR. This is the story of Bilbo (in which he happens to find the ring). Tying in Sarumon and Galadriel was dumb. Gandalf saying he's assisting the dwarves because Smaug would be a powerful weapon in the hands of the enemy is also dumb.

2) The stakes aren't as high in this story. This story is about Bilbo's adventure in helping dwarves get back their gold.... not the destruction of Men in MIddle Earth (like LOTR). But you can't help but feel like Jackson wants us to feel as if the stakes are high.

3) Thorin is a rather self-obsessed, pompous dwarf in the book. He is not the Aragorn of this series. He's a dwarf prince. Aragorn's a bad mother scruncher. Thorin isn't.

4) The pale orc vengeance sublot was dumb.

5) I missed the practical fx from LOTR trilogy - specifically with the orcs.

6) Also, Radagast being the wizard who discovers the Necromancer and Witch King is dumb. Gandalf retrieves the key to the hidden door of Erebor after meeting Thrain and defeating the Necromancer. Radagast is lame. And so were his rabbits.

That being said, I still really enjoyed the film. I was too happy to be back in Middle Earth to do anything but geek out.

You make some very good points. There were things left out of the LOTR Movies too and I guess it was because of how long it would have made the movie if everything was included in it. That being said, if you have read all the books then it does kind of leave you wondering where they are going with the direction of the movie and why they added or left out certain parts. I use to have all the books on the Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings, but like I have done for many years I have loaned my books out to people who forgot to bring them back to me. I guess that's my fault.

I did however enjoy the movie once it got "rocking and rolling" and would encourage everyone to go and see it when they get a chance.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #44
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

I saw it last night, it was well worth the wait. now only two more years until we see this baby to the end. I loved the backstory at the beginning, well done just like in the Fellowship of the Ring. I however do not understand the Radagast being the one who discovers the return of the Necromancer since it was Gandalf was the one who did. The rabbit sleigh huge epic fail. I think Jackson was brillant with trying to up the ante with Smaug being up for grabs with Sauron, it really foretells the huge war that is going to take place some 60 years later, because who knows if Sauron would try to get an alliance with dragons if any still lived during LOTR. Gollum wow just freaking awesome loved the riddles being included and watching Gollum saying "We knows the answer. Shut Up!" No reason why the Hobbit doesn't clean house for Academy Awards.
Spurrier_Superior_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #45
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #46
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

It wasn't a bad movie, but I found myself quite bored during it actually.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 AM   #47
M.C.
The original "Mastercock"

Male

M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

I enjoyed it and was mad when it ended with the huge cliff hanger...definitely will be ready for the next one

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM   #48
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

They pulled a lot from the books of lost tales and took inspiration from how Tolkien wanted to rewrite the Hobbit to better fit the LotR plot (even after the Gollum/Bilbo revision). I liked it.

I thought the Azog plotline was a little saturated. Plus, it was his son who was avenging his father's death in the book. I don't understand why they decided to change it.

I also thought the Radagast plotline was out of place. They omitted him from the LotR movies--ya know, the book he actually had plot relevance--and placed it in the Hobbit...odd.

I really liked it otherwise...I had the Hobbit cartoon song versions in my head though. HAHA
Old 12-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #49
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1918547116
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCMM View Post
I also thought the Radagast plotline was out of place. They omitted him from the LotR movies--ya know, the book he actually had plot relevance--and placed it in the Hobbit...odd.
They didn't want to omit one of the best passages in the Tolkien books completely.
They weren't sure they would make money yet in the first films, so they had to leave that scene out.

Also, Hobbit expert Colbert explains "The Hobbit" to Peter Jackson:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/432941
Old 12-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #50
riceatusc
Misses Old Cockytalk

Male

CockyCash: 300000000
riceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to riceatusc Send a message via MSN to riceatusc

going to see it tomorrow. debating on seeing it in rpx or imax
Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #51
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM   #52
Cigaro
I drink your milkshake

Male

CockyCash: 50092224
Cigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot materialCigaro is USC mascot material

They sure did add a whole lot, and a lot of it was simply stuff they made up. All of its based somehow on Tolkien's characters and writings, but they did much more than simply add what he wrote in the Appendices. Even though I would have preferred a more pure story, I'll hold off my opinion on these alterations/additions until I see the next movies.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #53
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
They sure did add a whole lot, and a lot of it was simply stuff they made up. All of its based somehow on Tolkien's characters and writings, but they did much more than simply add what he wrote in the Appendices. Even though I would have preferred a more pure story, I'll hold off my opinion on these alterations/additions until I see the next movies.
In two more years I will be looking to hear them.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #54
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Just saw it today. Overall it was great. Though the Radagast part was a bit forced.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #55
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 1000200
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Saw it today. Long movie. Great cinematography. But honestly, this reminds me of a remake of the first 3 they did.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #56
Spurrier_Superior_One
Banned

Male

Desolation of Smaug Trailer

Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #57
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1918547116
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material

Nifty!