CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
ccured
Thenardier
GoldenSpur7
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1908)
Can Tennessee get to (1298)
ESPN Article on HBC (1058)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (855)
Spread vs. aTm (801)
2 Crazy things (796)
Lindy's top 100 for (754)
Chick Redefines the (740)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (634)
The Bama series (518)
Name a Gamecock
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Get it while it's hot
2 Crazy things
Playstation 4
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina

Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Re: the qb questions will continue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
We have a terrific problem being that we have 2 quarterbacks that we can count on. That being said, I don't believe that Shaw would have been able to make that throw that DT did at the end of the game. That was NFL city.
Cockholio, be really honest. If Dylan had thrown the pass to Ace in the very back of the endzone after the Clowney, many people would have said Connor couldn't make that throw.. It was placed absolutely perfectly. Now since Connor made the throw it, not much is made of it. But I can promise you if Dylan had made that throw, it would have been a throw that "Connor can't make."
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

that heat is getting to Snoopy for real!!!
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #23
Kazak
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Kazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudlyKazak is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
No its not. How many runs of 50 yards or plus does Connor have? You know rushing is part of the game too and we sure as hell all cheer when he takes off of 70 yard runs.

Also, lets be really honest here.. On the TD pass to Ace in the back of the endzone after the Clowney hit, I bet you would have said Connor couldn't make that pass. But it was Connor that threw it. You will deny it, but if Dylan had thrown that exact same TD which was a perfectly thrown ball, you and some others would have said Connor couldn't have made that pass. Don't lie.

Bottom line... Spurrier gave BOTH OF THEM game balls. Why is it that some of you feel this incessant need to try and put down Connor?

Spurrier's exact words after the game was that Connor played SUPER. Yet, some of you still act like he shouldn't even be allowed on the field. It absolutely blows my mind.

Is it really impossible for some of you to just think that we have two damn good QBs? Do you think Spurrier gives out game balls because the guy "can't play"??
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsecSC View Post
If you don't think we have TWO very good quarterbacks, i'm sorry. You must be damn clueless.
You might as well say 4 with Nosovitch and Mitch in the mix now. We have two proven...and imho one of them is much more complete than the other, but we have two.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

Here we go. The usual Shaw/Dylan supporters come from the wood works
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
No its not. How many runs of 50 yards or plus does Connor have? You know rushing is part of the game too and we sure as hell all cheer when he takes off of 70 yard runs.

Also, lets be really honest here.. On the TD pass to Ace in the back of the endzone after the Clowney hit, I bet you would have said Connor couldn't make that pass. But it was Connor that threw it. You will deny it, but if Dylan had thrown that exact same TD which was a perfectly thrown ball, you and some others would have said Connor couldn't have made that pass. Don't lie.

Bottom line... Spurrier gave BOTH OF THEM game balls. Why is it that some of you feel this incessant need to try and put down Connor?

Spurrier's exact words after the game was that Connor played SUPER. Yet, some of you still act like he shouldn't even be allowed on the field. It absolutely blows my mind.

Is it really impossible for some of you to just think that we have two damn good QBs? Do you think Spurrier gives out game balls because the guy "can't play"??
Don't let the flakes get to you, especially on as good of a day as this.

DT threw that ball about 40 yards in the air, and it was gorgeous. Nick took it for beyond 50 himself. So? Well, I find it funny that the same whiny psuedococks that don't give credit for the YPA by CS because "the receiver made the play". Well if DT hadn't put it there so nicely then there is no play to be made.

So CS's yards are made by the receivers, DT's are all on him? CS was behind the 40 when he hit ace in the back of the endzone. He's not supposed to make those throws right?
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

First, Dylan once again played great. I think everyone agrees Dylan has done a very good job.

But lets take Dylan out of this post. Lets not make it a comparison. I just want to ask some of you SPECIFICALLY about Connor's play. The ones of you that seem to think he "can't get it done".

Connor was 18 of 26 today for 224 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs. In addition, he rushed 96 yards with an average of 9.6 yards a carry.

So the guy throws two TDs, completes 70% of his passes with no turnovers and rushes for 10 yards a carry......

and you think he can't play QB in the SEC?

Are you kidding me?

Let me be clear. I am all for whichever QB Spurrier wants to start. If Spurrier wants to start Dylan, then I am all for it.

But you guys that don't think Connor played well today are blind.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I remember seeing that at the beginning of the game, ESPN showed CS measures and had him at 6'4". I lol'd.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spursJTsecSC has earned his spurs

How about the fluidity of changes between Connor and Dylan? They didn't seem to skip a beat from switching in and out.
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #30
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
How about the fluidity of changes between Connor and Dylan? They didn't seem to skip a beat from switching in and out.
Yes...much better than the Beecher, Smelly, Garcia debacle.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #31
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Yep, and they were both genuinely happy for each other too. It is sad that some of our fans can't just be happy for both of them. I just have to remind myself that it is a message board and you get some 10 year olds that have access to the family internet. I get caught up in assuming I am reading posts from people with actual brains and then I have to remember that some of our fans, as with all other teams, don't actually have brains.

Bottom line on today... Both QBs played great. Both QBs were happy for each other. Spurrier gave a game ball to both of them.

Good day for the SC QBs!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #32
markymark550
Game MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

At this point, I'll be happy with either guy starting. I'm just glad we have two competent qbs. Whichever guy Spurrier goes with will get my support.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #33
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
At this point, I'll be happy with either guy starting. I'm just glad we have two competent qbs. Whichever guy Spurrier goes with will get my support.
So simple, yet so intelligent.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #34
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

I take back every comment about connor I've ever made. He can sling it
Old 01-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #35
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

The bottom line is that it took both of our qb's to win the game today and imo, the HBC did a great job of calling plays that suited the skillsets of Shaw and Thompson.

That last game winning drive showcased the best of both players, Shaw's ability to scramble with his feet and extend the play for a crucial first down, and Thompson's ability to sit in the pocket with ice in his veins and hit the deep ball knowing full well that he will get blasted by a dlineman after the throw.

Carolina is finally in a position where an injury to the 'starting' qb doesn't equate to a check in the loss column anymore and we have rarely had that luxury. we should enjoy it while it lasts along with back to back 11 win seasons.
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
well, we all thought that it would be answered in the bowl game, but i don't think it was.

i thought both qb's played very well at times, and both played poorly at times. so, of course, the debate will go on all off-season. lol. well, at least we will have something to talk about. both qb's had two td's, and both had good completion percentages. a win is a win, and i am happy to get it.
no matter what, you can't take anything away from shaw for driving the team down the field at clutch time, and you can't take anything away from thompson for finishing it off when shaw was hurt. great win!
Please be specific as to where Thompson played poorly. Also: what poor plays did Shaw make?
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #37
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHONGILMOREFAN! View Post
I take back every comment about connor I've ever made. He can sling it
Much props to ya SGF...I wish a lot of our fans could admit the same thing. Connor made a few mistakes...the fumble on 4th down was probably one of the worse plays he has ever made...but he made up for it by many other big plays. The las tackle he got out of to find Ace for the first down was huge! But to show my unbiaism (if that is a word)...Dylan PROVED he can play well against a good defense...that's what I wanted to see. Great job by BOTH QB's...it's gonna make the offseason that much funner to watch & will push both of them to get better!

IT'S GREAT TOBE A GAMECOCK!!!! 2 back to back 11 win seasons!!!!

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #38
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Please be specific as to where Thompson played poorly. Also: what poor plays did Shaw make?
Please don't make this a Connor vs Dylan thread...lets just call it for what it is...BOTH QB's made huge plays & BOTH QB's led our team to back to back 11 win seasons & back to back bowl wins against 2 historically great teams!

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #39
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

The controversy is...which one of our 2 great QB's will play during which series?...

great problem to have...

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

I just don't understand how this is even a debate anymore. I give shaw credit for some great runs and his scramble on the final drive and finding Ace obviously kept the drive alive. But we're not even in that situation if Shaw could avoid tucking the ball when his first option is covered and scrambling right into the arms of a waiting lineman/LB.

His throws downfield are wobbly and under thrown (no zip whatsoever) and because he looks to run first so frequently he basically negates the RBs. The more traditional sets/play calling with DT (since the zone read isn't as effective) mean the RBs actually get to, you know, RUN.

Shaw certainly had some good moments today and greatly contributed to the win. But a lot of the reason the D was gassed and the game was so close was directly a result of his inability to sustain drives or score points.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote