CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JulesWinnfield90
black_magic85
rolinb1
BlueHerons
Gamecocks1137
trapper82
StormOfTalons
nodnahs
robgusc76
nicstockman
TAMU Starting CB Out (1574)
Clemson RB Out for Y (1465)
Clowney possibly hur (1043)
Our players and the (956)
an apology (890)
They are coming to y (885)
2013 game vs TN is o (882)
Your SEC Standings P (879)
Hard Knocks this wee (683)
Favorite Gamecock of (593)
Your SEC Standings Predic
TAMU Starting CB Out For
an apology
Spurrier: Davis May Not B
How are we feeling about
First "Carolina Call
Connor Shaw Browns
Clemson RB Out for Year
texags
Gamecocks do the Ice Buck

Old 01-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #61
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material
Default Re: the qb questions will continue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
No, for jumping all over anyone who attempts to have a discussion ON A MESSAGE BOARD or personal cliched insults about cheetos against anyone who would dare to point how obvious flaws in the GAMEPLAY of a player can adversely effect a team and how another player at the same position may be better suited for long term success.

But stay high and mighty "behind your keyboard".
Yeah, I think I will stick to defending the players. The ones that actually compete and work hard in practice. Have no problems with that.

So let me ask you a question Kane, IF, and I know it is an IF, Connor comes out and is the starter next year, is Spurrier wrong? Yes or no question. Since you say the flaws are so glaring that only an idiot could miss them, is Spurrier and idiot if Shaw starts next year? Yes or no?
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #62
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Connor's first series was beautiful. He did exactly what he is taught to do, take your drop and throw. If he can do that more consistently going forward, he will be a bigger threat in the passing game. There were a couple series where he held onto the ball to long that almost led to some visor tosses.

Overall, both QBs played well and made key plays. Both suffered through some shitty pass protection.

Hopefully they will sit Connor this Spring and get him healthy. That foot injury seems very serious.

I'm anxious to see how Nosovitch has been developing and what type of talent Mitch has. One thing is for sure, GA Mangus has been a God send. They better give him a HUGE raise.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #63
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

CockyCash: 500
JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Please direct me to where I said "he was the reason for our loss"? I've refuted your Shaw-slobbering repeatedly and your only retort is "but SPURRIER" and then you simply stop responding. I see you failed to answer my direct questions to you in the thread, just more personal snippy BS.

Sorry you're faced w/ mounting evidence that shaw might not be THE SINGLE GREATEST QUARTERBACK TO EVER PLAY THE POSITION OF ALL TIME BY HUMANS but your original post to OPEN THE THREAD reeks of someone desperately hemming and hawing and hedging your bets.

As I said, I give Connor all kinds of credit for several plays today. He contributed in a big way. Doesn't mean he didn't also hurt the team w/ his consistent shortcomings that he's demonstrated all season long.
Huh? You must not know that these exists, but i'm a USC supporter. That's right, not really favoring one over the other. I like them both. DT brings things to the table that CS doesn't, and vice versa. I have seen this year that both are SEC level quarter backs. I'd hardly call that slobbering. And just because spurrier seems to think they are both good doesn't mean you have to get your panties wound up and hate.

Mounting evidence that he isn't the GOAT? Uhhhh, I think that has been evident since last year. Maybe he'd be on #1 on some big boards by now, or even considering the draft if this was the case. Unfortunate for us, that is not the case. My original post to open the thread "If you don't think we have TWO very good quarterbacks, i'm sorry. You must be damn clueless." reeks of hemming, hawing, and hedging my bets? WTH are you talking about?

Quit sniffing jockstraps and go get laid or something.
JTsecSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #64
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

I just want everyone who dumps on Thompson and gives Shaw a pass to acknowledge that just MAYBE they were wrong. If you disagree over who should start, fine. But don't act like Shaw has been Connor Football and Thompson isn't fit to carry his jock strap.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #65
4Runner
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 225
4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous4Runner is making other chickens nervous

Our coaches will have a tough decision to make this fall. Dylan definetely gets rid of the ball better but Shaw is a gamer and runs so well. I'm glad we have them both and hole Dylan's brother comes here in 2 years.
4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #66
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsecSC View Post
Huh? You must not know that these exists, but i'm a USC supporter. That's right, not really favoring one over the other. I like them both. DT brings things to the table that CS doesn't, and vice versa. I have seen this year that both are SEC level quarter backs. I'd hardly call that slobbering. And just because spurrier seems to think they are both good doesn't mean you have to get your panties wound up and hate.

Mounting evidence that he isn't the GOAT? Uhhhh, I think that has been evident since last year. Maybe he'd be on #1 on some big boards by now, or even considering the draft if this was the case. Unfortunate for us, that is not the case. My original post to open the thread "If you don't think we have TWO very good quarterbacks, i'm sorry. You must be damn clueless." reeks of hemming, hawing, and hedging my bets? WTH are you talking about?

Quit sniffing jockstraps and go get laid or something.
Apologies. Admittedly conflated you w/ snoop and posted. Snoop's been slobbering. You weren't. But thanks for your concern about my sex life.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #67
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Exactly as much as you did.
Also: if Shaw is so oberwhelmingly impressive to Spurrier then why would there be an open competition? Would seem to me that if Spurrier was so enamored and shaw was such a stud there wouldn't be a question. I don't think there's an "open competition" at A&M in the spring, is there?
I never said I did anything. I sit and watch the games and nothing more. But I don't sit around talking about our players "OBVIOUS FLAWS" either. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

So it couldn't be because Dylan has played well enough to EARN the right to compete in the spring? It has to be because Connor has done something wrong?

Connor got a game ball today. Yeah, that was probably because of all of those "wobbly" passes.

I never said Connor was Johnny Manziel. But Johnny Manziel isn't on our roster last time I checked. What we do have though is two QBs that both played very well today. Yet, you are on here being critical of one instead of just saying that Dylan played excellent and earned the right to compete in the spring, you have to talk about Connor's "obvious flaws" and all of the things he can't do.

You are right, Spurrier did say there would be an open competition.. But I don't recall Spurrier saying there would be an open competition because Connor isn't capable of making certain plays. So his comments were certainly very different from yours.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #68
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

one of the main things i see is the difference between the two when connor lofts one and the reciever gets blown up and the way dylan zips it to the reciever and gives the reciver time to make a move on the defender
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #69
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

JTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervousJTsecSC is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Snoop and Grit have been on a tirade since the Clemson game. Now both of them seem to have soften their stance some. I'm just saying.
Can't say that i've ever seen anyone actually bash DT. And why would they, he's a gamecock. CS on the other hand, catches flak left and right. He's the starter and nobody has interest in bashing a backup. When you down a guy that's done what he has for this program CT, you're gonna have people defend him.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #70
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Yeah, I think I will stick to defending the players. The ones that actually compete and work hard in practice. Have no problems with that.

So let me ask you a question Kane, IF, and I know it is an IF, Connor comes out and is the starter next year, is Spurrier wrong? Yes or no question. Since you say the flaws are so glaring that only an idiot could miss them, is Spurrier and idiot if Shaw starts next year? Yes or no?
You didn't answer my question and I asked first. If its so abundantly clear then why is there a competition? If SOS thinks Shaw is so dominant then why would there be an open competition?

I'll make sure and keep an eye on your posts. I'm sure you gave everyone grief who said "DL Moore can't catch a pass as well". Some of you can't separate criticism of play w/ criticism of the player on a personal level.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #71
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Exactly as much as you did. Where did I say "if Dylan is hurt we are screwed"? I think you're arguing with 2 different people.

Also: if Shaw is so oberwhelmingly impressive to Spurrier then why would there be an open competition? Would seem to me that if Spurrier was so enamored and shaw was such a stud there wouldn't be a question. I don't think there's an "open competition" at A&M in the spring, is there?

EDIT: LOL at you thinking you know exactly what Spurrier is thinking.
Spurrier is always adamant that every position is an open competition. He even said after the game today that Ace will have to compete for his spot
gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #72
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
I just want everyone who dumps on Thompson and gives Shaw a pass to acknowledge that just MAYBE they were wrong. If you disagree over who should start, fine. But don't act like Shaw has been Connor Football and Thompson isn't fit to carry his jock strap.
who has dumped on Dylan in this thread?? Seems like you are one of the only people dumping on one of our players.

And I can promise you I am not wrong on who should play QB at SC. I am most certainly not wrong. You know why? Because I think that whoever Spurriers says should play QB is who should play QB.

Yet, you seem to think it should be DT regardless of what Spurrier thinks?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #73
JTsecSC
Jon Gruden's lovechild

Male

Quote:
Apologies. Admittedly conflated you w/ snoop and posted. Snoop's been slobbering. You weren't. But thanks for your concern about my sex life.
I'm concerned with everyone's health, a humanitarian if you will. And I understand the confusion. It's perhaps the most important position on the field and people get very emotional when discussing it.

Last edited by JTsecSC; 01-01-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: absolution: That can include myself as well
Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #74
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
You didn't answer my question and I asked first. If its so abundantly clear then why is there a competition? If SOS thinks Shaw is so dominant then why would there be an open competition?

I'll make sure and keep an eye on your posts. I'm sure you gave everyone grief who said "DL Moore can't catch a pass as well". Some of you can't separate criticism of play w/ criticism of the player on a personal level.
I absolutely answered it. Go back and read my posts again.

So now, answer my question. Answer it yes or no. If Spurrier picks Shaw to start next year, is he wrong?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #75
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
I never said I did anything. I sit and watch the games and nothing more. But I don't sit around talking about our players "OBVIOUS FLAWS" either. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

So it couldn't be because Dylan has played well enough to EARN the right to compete in the spring? It has to be because Connor has done something wrong?

Connor got a game ball today. Yeah, that was probably because of all of those "wobbly" passes.

I never said Connor was Johnny Manziel. But Johnny Manziel isn't on our roster last time I checked. What we do have though is two QBs that both played very well today. Yet, you are on here being critical of one instead of just saying that Dylan played excellent and earned the right to compete in the spring, you have to talk about Connor's "obvious flaws" and all of the things he can't do.

You are right, Spurrier did say there would be an open competition.. But I don't recall Spurrier saying there would be an open competition because Connor isn't capable of making certain plays. So his comments were certainly very different from yours.
I'm sorry, I thought this was a football message board to discuss the football play of a particular team and the specific play of the players who play it. My apologies, I've clearly stumbled on to the HUGSNKITTENS.COM forum.

Good god you're high and mighty. I'm criticizing CERTAIN ASPECTS OF HIS PLAY not him AS AN INDIVIDUAL. there were 300 posts saying "BENCH SHAW" in the game thread. Where were you there, moral police?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #76
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
I'm sorry, I thought this was a football message board to discuss the football play of a particular team and the specific play of the players who play it. My apologies, I've clearly stumbled on to the HUGSNKITTENS.COM forum.

Good god you're high and mighty. I'm criticizing CERTAIN ASPECTS OF HIS PLAY not him AS AN INDIVIDUAL. there were 300 posts saying "BENCH SHAW" in the game thread. Where were you there, moral police?
Kane, still looking for an answer to my question.

If Shaw starts next year, is Spurrier wrong?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #77
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
I absolutely answered it. Go back and read my posts again.

So now, answer my question. Answer it yes or no. If Spurrier picks Shaw to start next year, is he wrong?
If spurrier picks Shaw to start I absolutely defer to him and will hope that shaw has gotten healthy and taken strides to improve the aspects of his game that need to be improved. If he demonstrates the same tendencies and Spurrier sticks w/ him I will absolutely invoke my right to question the decision.

"ALL COACHES ARE INFALLIBLE" is basically what you're saying but then you don't acknowledge that if shaw was the overwhelmingly superior talent there wouldn't have been a direct statement acknowledging an open competition in the spring.

Look, we won. It was exciting. I'm excited. We should both be excited. But don't act like finding fault w/ play on a sports message board is some sin against the baby Jesus.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #78
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Kane, still looking for an answer to my question.

If Shaw starts next year, is Spurrier wrong?
Just did. Now answer mine (like actually answer it, not some garbage about "it's more about how well Thompson played and not a knock on shaw".)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #79
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
who has dumped on Dylan in this thread?? Seems like you are one of the only people dumping on one of our players.

And I can promise you I am not wrong on who should play QB at SC. I am most certainly not wrong. You know why? Because I think that whoever Spurriers says should play QB is who should play QB.

Yet, you seem to think it should be DT regardless of what Spurrier thinks?
There are people in this thread who have dumped on DT and slobbered all over shaw in the past.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #80
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

Quote:
Look, we won. It was exciting. I'm excited. We should both be excited. But don't act like finding fault w/ play on a sports message board is some sin against the baby Jesus.
But you are finding fault with a guy that was very close to being the MVP of the game, got a game ball from the head coach, and that same coach said that he played SUPER. You mentioned DL Moore above. We aren't talking about DL Moore. We are talking about a guy that completed 70% of his passes for 250+ yards with no turnovers and rushed for 100 (10 yard per carry average).

Just very clueless as to why you are picking right now, today, after that game to try and say that Connor has "obvious flaws" that cost us dearly in games.

Sorry if you can't see the confusion with that. I just think it is really poor timing and I don't see the point in it at all.

DJ Swearinger has "flaws" in his game. He missed a tackle today that cost us yardage because he was going for the big hit instead of trying to tackle the guy. He has done this on many occasions. His personal fouls also do cost us. Clowney, even though he is the best player in college football, has "flaws" in his game.

Just not sure what the point is in coming on a message board after a big win for our team when the team played its heart out and going out of my way to talk about it.

Connor got a game ball today for a reason. Not sure why you aren't talking about all of the positives instead of feeling it is your duty to point out everything he does wrong.

You are right though, you have a right to post whatever you want. I just don't understand it in the least. I don't get the purpose, I don't get anything about it.

Last edited by cofcgamecock9; 01-01-2013 at 09:20 PM.