CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
WeStillOwnUSC
Coulwoodwarlord
Yearofthegamecock
gamecock88
TAFC 5 1981
LeeSC
Regalcock
Kentucky prediction (2089)
Just Booked my Hotel (1397)
Best position coach (803)
Waldrop doubtful for (776)
The New Idea That'll (698)
So What? (692)
We Have A New KO Guy (531)
Serial Cat Killer Ca (426)
So What? (267)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (266)
Thoughts on the basketbal
2016 - Rozelle Nix
I'm over the loss, but...
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
QB Recruiting Strategy
What fish do you eat
Best position coach or co
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
2016 - Tavien Feaster
2015 Commitment - Jaire A

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #1581
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material
Default Re: Drew Barker Thread (2014 Prospect)

I thought I read Barker was a pro-style QB......top 10 I think.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #1582
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
No he's a dual-threat kid
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #1583
Truly Cocky
Born & Bred

Male

CockyCash: 50500500
Truly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot material

What you see in these highlights is that he's a bull running the ball and has a strong arm

These are his Junior year highlights, which was this past season
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #1584
Kazak
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
He was classified as a dual threat by all of the sites that separate pro-style/dual threat up until a few days ago. Oddly, 247 switched him to the "pro-style" list.

When you watch the highlights and consider that he rushed for 1,455 yards during his junior season alone (in addition to passing for over 2,000), how can he NOT be considered a dual threat? (Granted, it's nice that he can sling it from the pocket well enough for someone to classify him as a "pro-style" passer, but sheesh.)

Scout doesn't separate by pro-style/dual threat with QBs. They have him ranked as the #5 overall QB in the nation.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #1585
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhornet View Post
He is pass first though right?
With his stats he probably runs just as much as he passes.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 AM   #1586
carolinacoast
Household Name

Male

carolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPitcarolinacoast rules the CockPit
Default Re: Nick Glass Thread (2014 Prospect)

I would hate see Glass go to Clemson, which is his rumored #2, just because of all the dbs UGA has committed.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #1587
dumpyloser
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 994
dumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talonsdumpyloser has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Braxton Berrios Thread (2014 Prospect)

Yea Mitch played against him. We are starting to get early leads on the nc kids in that area.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #1588
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazak View Post
He was classified as a dual threat by all of the sites that separate pro-style/dual threat up until a few days ago. Oddly, 247 switched him to the "pro-style" list.

When you watch the highlights and consider that he rushed for 1,455 yards during his junior season alone (in addition to passing for over 2,000), how can he NOT be considered a dual threat? (Granted, it's nice that he can sling it from the pocket well enough for someone to classify him as a "pro-style" passer, but sheesh.)

Scout doesn't separate by pro-style/dual threat with QBs. They have him ranked as the #5 overall QB in the nation.
Thanks for the explanation. Didn't make sense for one site to say one thing and others on here that say something else. 1,500 rushing yards is certainly legitimate.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #1589
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Got a feeling he isn't going to be doing lots of planned running at his size in the SEC as a QB (makes too big of a target...rib cage area). His ability to roll out, maybe scramble a little to keep a play alive and run if the opportunity presents itself will be more suited for him.

Good overall passing form and puts good air under the ball when his man is open on the long routes, making it easier to run under and pluck out of the air. Keeps his eyes downfield, too. Can throw hard, when needed, throw to spots on the field, but can take the pace off the pass, too, another plus.

Like that he blades his body quickly (optimum body set up to throw the ball). A couple of minor things I see which will be corrected... he doesn't fully step into most of his throws, depending on just arm strength for many throws. He has an abbreviated step forward which takes away a little power. He also holds the ball a tad low in his setup. It is held about equal to the bottom of his shoulder pads. SOS teaches his QB's to hold the ball up near the ear level. That allows that extra fraction of a second to get the ball off quicker and allows a fraction more ball awareness than when you are holding it lower.

Would be a very fine pick up for us.

Last edited by brat; 01-03-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:02 AM   #1590
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 200
4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: 2014 Recruits

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppabeary3 View Post
While much of this is/might be true...It's a bad mindset to have. There will always be excuses for why we can't do this or that. Having this type of thinking as a fan base, only hinders progress. UGA hasn't won a national championship since before all of the recruits and players were born. UF wasn't always the Florida we think of today. Look at UTjr, 7-8 years ago they would be right there in the convo of "elite". It has to start somewhere and as a fanbase, we need to do our part to keep pushing our expectations higher.
^This
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 AM   #1591
CockOla
Game MVP

Male

CockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by espn4lyf View Post
Yeah he will be a Gamecock
Where have you been man? Welcome back!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #1592
Loathor
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 570
Loathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervousLoathor is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
QB - Drew Barker

RB - Derrell Scott, Stanley Williams (Georgia commit that has visited USC multiple times this year), Wadzaire Blanc

WR - Braxton Berrios, Shaquille Davidson, Jaylen Barbour, Isaiah Ford, Terry Googer, Ryshene Bronson (Florida commit that I would not be surprised if he visits this Spring).

TE - Kevin Crosby, Kalan Ritchie

OL - Donnell Stanley, Bentley Spain, Orlando Brown, Braden Smith, Steven Moss

DL - DaShawn Hand, Dexter Wideman, Naquez Pringle, Poona Ford, Anthony Moten

LB - Bryson Allen-Williams, Joe Blue, Christian Miller, Dillon Bates, D'ronjiah Matthews

DB - Jalen Tabor, Marlon Humphrey, Lawrence and Lance Austin, Quay Searcy, D.J. Smith, Step Durham, Jared Tucker, Darin Smalls
If we land Hand and Humphrey then it would be a coup. Hand, #1 overall, would be Clowney 2.0, people would go nuts. Humphrey is the #1 CB and #1 player in AL... if we took him from Saban's backyard it would speak volumes for our recruiters. He had good things to say about us (specifically mentioned coach Brown) in the video after their championship win as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #1593
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

Stating facts is not a bad mindset. They are obstacles you have to work around and to work harder to compensate. Being aware of difficulties is not the same as using them as crutches for failure.

All programs in the SE recruit Florida and GA hard and the top programs will always try to turn the best players in this state. Coaches around the nation, especially in the SE, know the quality of players we produce, but the quantity will never make GA. The greater Metro area has more population than our entire state and produces more Division I prospects.

What we have done to finally turn things around is bring in two of the most susseccful college football coaches in recent college history, both in terms of ability and media/fan appeal. Even then, the up turn of our program to take hold took over a decade.

The more we are in the media eye or our coaches are, the more appeal we have, coupled with getting the best in home guys to stay here instead of UGA, UT, FSU, ND, Auburn, etc, as they did in the past, let alone the damage Clempon does.

We have two of our best seasons, back to back, updated facilities, brought in the best coaching staff we have ever assembled, stressing real academic efforts for the players and their parental approval, honest and straight shooting coaches, and finally got the players to buy into the program and make the sacrifices needed to make it top notch on the feld and off, because we also began to recruit not only talent but more high character kids than ever before...resulting in fewer off the field problems, flunk outs, problem children in the locker room, etc. Throw in the benefit of having other well known coaches...Tanner, Staley, now Martin, it al points to being a high class, successful place that should be seriously considered by many recruits. Success begets success.

Those were the major ways we made up some of the disadvantages we have from being in a small state that borders only two states, squeezed between two conferences.

Now when we get good kids in that might not be quite as highly rated as some schools, we usually are in every game until the end with a chance to win and our kids rarely throw in the towel early as they might in the past. The talent gap is no longer so great other teams can just show up and beat us. It boils down to who has the best game plan, who executes it better, keeps the other side off balance and harder to execute their own plans, how the ball bounces, who makes the key plays, gets a needed call from a ref, who protects the ball best, etc.

The longer we keep doing what we are doing and stay in the top 10, keep in double digit wins, the more kids will associate USC as being a great place to play and as being winners. Ideally, the near future means we can gt the type kids we have been getting, that fit into our schemes and buys into our way of doing things, and are even more elite recruits. The best of both worlds. With the best class in ages looming before us in 2014, we need another superb year in 2013. It shows that we are not going to be a flash in the pan and are settling into a yearly top tier team.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #1594
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I don't think we need a top 5 or 10 class per se but we do need to restock some Gilmore, Lattimore, Jeffrey, Clowney type elite superstars. We don't want all prima donnas so I doubt we'll end up closing on all these guys, but if we get the ones that don't require guarantees of playing time and over the top ass-kissing, we'll be alright.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #1595
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

I think he has the skills to play, but the defenses he's facing leave a lot to be desired.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM   #1596
Rh Gamecock
Two Deep

Male

Rh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudlyRh Gamecock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
I think he has the skills to play, but the defenses he's facing leave a lot to be desired.
I believe they rank the players on the opponents they play also. Think it factors in somehow, so if he is ranked as a top 5 quarterback then they aren't all that bad or he is just that awesome. (haven't watched the film yet)

On another note he was cheering us on during the Michigan game on twitter.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #1597
STEPHONGILMOREFAN!
4-time heisman

Male

CockyCash: 450
STEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot materialSTEPHONGILMOREFAN! is USC mascot material

He's collin klein style quarterback. But better mechanics
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #1598
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacoast View Post
Unfortunately, the recruits don't see USC as elite, so USC isn't able to recruit nationally, for the most part. Also, the top recruiting schools tend to be in state with either surplus BCS talent recruits, or far more population. The state of South Carolina just can't produce the numbers. If you follow recruiting, no one ever says they grew up rooting for the Gamecocks unless they were from South Carolina, or had Souh Carolina ties. However, lots of out of state kids rooted for OSU, UGA, UF...etc. Tony Morrell says because of demographics, USC will always have some rebuilding years. They will to coach up some kids to go with our South Carolina hs talent, and maybe grab a few good ones out of Charlotte, and recruit what Georgia can't take.

I have chosen to be realistic about this, and not negative as I feel USC can have a good, or above average class every year. Hopefully, 2014 is one of the above average classes, and I feel it will be one of the best, although it will be hard to beat the 2007 class.
Well said, although you are clearly a Debbie Downer now!

Seriously, folks don't understand what you just typed.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #1599
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Something to think about .. IF USC lands verbals from Scott, Berrios, Allen-Williams (I know what his mom said about taking OVs, but I feel he will jump on board at the Gamecock Showcase this Summer), Barker, and Spain all before the start of the season, they will have a Top 10 class and that is not including any of the instate kids.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #1600
Evilchicken2
Allergic to kool aid

Male

Evilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot materialEvilchicken2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Something to think about .. IF USC lands verbals from Scott, Berrios, Allen-Williams (I know what his mom said about taking OVs, but I feel he will jump on board at the Gamecock Showcase this Summer), Barker, and Spain all before the start of the season, they will have a Top 10 class and that is not including any of the instate kids.
Oh dear lord please, PLEASE, make this happen.