CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
smoovecock
Sandstorm29
b381l
803scdantes
CoverTwo
gamecockphan
Travelin
robgusc76
The Yancey
A. Pilgrim
The Vent and Coachin (2776)
Disturbing comments (1989)
Gerald Turner (1925)
does anybody think w (1694)
Bluff Road (1235)
UF lets Durkin go (959)
2015 schedule is bru (807)
Bowl B-L-I-N-G (730)
2015 Early Enrollees (622)
Bobo to Colorado St? (448)
The Vent and Coaching cha
2015 - Mark Fields
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Bianca Cuevas Interview
2015 schedule is brutal
The U ends apparel deal w
Previewing Clemson
Gerald Turner
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
JC Shurburtt was just on

Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #21
vegasmark
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 210
vegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talonsvegasmark has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Any Chance Ace Will Stay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjeffdude View Post
He's too short to leave as a junior and doesn't have the receiver numbers. Would be foolish for him to leave.
This.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #22
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

i wouldnt say roscoe parrish had way better numbers than ace. ace had more catches and td's for their junior seasons, comparable players though i think ace is more polished than parrish was in college. that said theres no telling where he would go. i wouldnt put a ceiling on him having any impact in the nfl as a receiver because there can certainly be a spot for him as a slot receiver.

the example i think we would want to point to when encouraging him to stay is tavon austin at west viriginia. we certainly dont know where he will ultimately end up being drafted, but austin is listed 5'9 172 and nfldraftscout currently has him as the no.2 senior wr. some december mock drafts even had austin going in the late 1st. so another year in what we hope will be a better passing game with him as a big part of it, could get him in the 1st 2 rounds.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #23
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Wow, I hadn't even considered him leaving early. Seems like a tremendously bad decision. Usually people make all-conference or lead their team in receptions before going pro early.
LegalCock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #24
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

We've seen a number of guys make poor decisions about leaving early. I hope this is just people around him hyping his performance in this game and if his draft review comes back low as I would expect they won't keep on trying to convince him the grade is wrong and he could build his stock at the combine. I know this happens occasionally but it's not common and more guys end up like Tori Gurley on the outside looking in.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #25
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

He stays and works on that Return game and then shoots his draft stock up!
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
jtm12180
Walk On

Male

jtm12180 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by airjeffdude View Post
He's too short to leave as a junior and doesn't have the receiver numbers. Would be foolish for him to leave.
exactly what I was going to post...6'1" and he'd be gone in a heartbeat
jtm12180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

I hadn't thought about him leaving early either, but as C2 said his stock will never be higher. A quick look on the web has him as the 10th best receiver per nfldraftscout, 13th on CBS, and there is some talk on draft sites as him being a 3rd to 5th round pick. He's got to go if that is accurate.

He was an absolute steal in that recruiting class out of Florida.

On a related note, CBS has the three UT receivers in the top six of the WR draft. Amazing.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #28
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Pay sites say there is a decent chance according to some people around Ace. His draft stock might not get much higher than it is now.
This is the issue with these decisions. It's not like he is going to grow anymore or more 100 yard games will make teams feel more confident his size won't be an issue at the next level.

If he wants a shot at the NFL, I think this is probably his best chance after the year he had.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #29
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

Sportstalk saying Ace is leaning towards entering the draft. Nick Jones' time.

http://sportstalkgolive.com/index.php/2013/01/02/45499/
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
We've seen a number of guys make poor decisions about leaving early. I hope this is just people around him hyping his performance in this game and if his draft review comes back low as I would expect they won't keep on trying to convince him the grade is wrong and he could build his stock at the combine. I know this happens occasionally but it's not common and more guys end up like Tori Gurley on the outside looking in.
Tori Gurley was a bit different. He was older and had to play behind great players. However, the year he left the next season could have been his showcase with the Gamecocks but he decided to take a chance. I don't think it was a great decision but there was a lot more variables for him.

With Ace, he had his showcase year, if he has another year equally as great I don't think it would change his draft spot much just due to his size etc.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #31
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

I think he will stay once he sees his draft evaluation.

Honestly, I didn't even think about him declaring for the draft.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #32
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Here is what frustrates me..

Spurrier will tell Ace he needs to come back because Spurrier's "rule" is that you should go if you are a first round guy and you should come back if you are not. Now, having said that, I can understand the reasons Ace would want to go. I agree with a lot of the posts in this thread about the fact that his stock is not likely to go up next year.

But while we have our "leaders" going early just so they can go in the third round and NEVER have a guy come back that will be a first rounder, Clemson will somehow get everyone of their players back next year. Everyone is saying Hopkins will leave and he is a certain first rounder. I will believe he is leaving early when I see it. Dabo just said recently that he "fully expected Hopkins back in 2013" and he will somehow get him back and probably sell him a used car in the process.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
Sportstalk saying Ace is leaning towards entering the draft. Nick Jones' time.

http://sportstalkgolive.com/index.php/2013/01/02/45499/
They'll move Bruce back to the Z (slot) ful ltime and Roland will play the X.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #34
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Id love to have him back, but if Ace gets good news from the evaluation board (and if he really cannot move up much higher if he stays)... then I wish him well at the next level.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
IrishCoach
4-Star

Male

IrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talonsIrishCoach has developed his gaff and talons

I want Ace to stay, but why couldn't he be a Welker type receiver in the NFL. Just a thought. Don't drag down this USC star because you don't want to see him leave. That's just holding him back from his future.

~Dan Gable
IrishCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #36
TroubleCock
Blue Chip

Male

TroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his combTroubleCock is developing his comb

Onre thing i know the scouts will love about ace is thathe can stick to routes. ace can run a hell of a route and he is fast. i think he needs to work on technique against defenders.
TroubleCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #37
snoopy
Blue Chip

snoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurssnoopy has earned his spurs

Whatever Ace does I will support him 100%. Thanks for all he has done here and wish him only the best. If he stays he will hear my support from the stands.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #38
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I think another year of highlight reel would help him. I guess he will submit his paperwork and take the advisement into consideration. I would think he'd be projected as a late round WR/Returner at this point in time. With our passing game drastically improving the past 2 games, and 4 of the 5 OL returning, I would think that he'd be better off staying. However only Ace knows what's best for him.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #39
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Tori Gurley was a bit different. He was older and had to play behind great players. However, the year he left the next season could have been his showcase with the Gamecocks but he decided to take a chance. I don't think it was a great decision but there was a lot more variables for him.

With Ace, he had his showcase year, if he has another year equally as great I don't think it would change his draft spot much just due to his size etc.
I was more referring to the people telling Gurley the evaluation was bad and he'd improve his stock and get drafted if he left early. I know he had more going on but the problem for a lot of these guys is their "friends" and "family" hype them up to a point they ignore what the people actually making decisions say.

I agree that after Saturday Ace may be at his highest point but even with that I'd be shocked if he graded any higher than round 4.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #40
onamission
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 1300
onamission has hatched from the shell

WR is such a hard position to gauge for the draft. Teams are looking for certain types/fits all it takes is a team needing a slot/return guy for him to go higher or it could be the opposite and he falls. If he grades as a 2nd rounder he should go. 4th or worse he should stay
onamission is online now   Reply With Quote