CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecockgal
NinjaSven
Rebel4ever
BlakelyH19
roosterdude21
Latti
Carolina-Beez
kevhugh
Cockyteg
eatlighting
Spurrier was Embaras (3596)
More David Williams (3248)
ECU is a good team (3038)
Is it possible for o (2505)
Spurrier not happy s (2419)
Gameday in Columbia (1708)
Polls (1412)
Curse of the Chicken (1271)
Tonight's ugly win w (1231)
Our wide receivers w (1041)
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
Gameday Sign Ideas
Polls
Spurrier not happy so why
Gameday in Columbia
Tonight's ugly win was in
ECU
D line pressure
Is it possible for our Sp
Hardest Schedule

Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #161
CockpetBagger
Banned, James Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100550
CockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot materialCockpetBagger is USC mascot material
Default Re: the qb questions will continue...

This might be the first team I've ever followed where I don't even get worried when the starting QB limps off. Truly "next man in".

I just wish we had some packages where we got them both on the field at once.
CockpetBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #162
SimpleGamecock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
SimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talonsSimpleGamecock has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
this is one of your better posts. and in response i will say jus two things. first, i didn't single out thompson as playing poorly, or having problems with his play. i said that both qb's played very well and had SOME poor plays. yes, the sack was, in my opinion a poor play. so many made such a big deal about dylan's pocket presence in the other thread, and that sack hurt us. there were a few throws as well, including the game winner. he lofted that ball, and it looked like ellington had to wait on it for a while. but he completed it, and as i said earlier, i was impressed with thompson today, and he earned that.
both guys did well today, and i'm so happy with the outcome, and us having back to back 11 win seasons.
You have brought up the game winning pass twice but that was perfectly placed considering Dylan got Drilled on the play and was just able to get it off
SimpleGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #163
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Quote:
what open competition? i have read everything i could find since the game, and have seen nothing about this. provide a link to where sos said this, or stop saying it. you're just trying to add an element to the debate that doesn't even exist.
He said it in the press conference immediately following the game.
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #164
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Can't imagine what this convo will be like in 2 months when Nosovitch and Mitch step onto the practice field..
I completely agree, both qbs played very well at crunch time but there were a lot of possession where we looked lost and couldn't find any offense. A large part of this has to do with our complete lack of a running game.

Anyway, both dylan and connor are above average quarterbacks with room to improve...may question with both is what is their ceiling?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #165
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgking114 View Post
With Spurrier, when has it NOT been an open competition for the QB starting competition in the off season?
Yep, Nosovitch could win the job for all we know.

This season is over, ended with a bang (literally) and nothing is set in stone for next year. Let's just calm down with the "start DT" stuff because Spring practice will tell us a lot.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #166
longcock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 27885
longcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot materiallongcock is USC mascot material

The way our Offensive Line passed blocked... we'll need at least 2 QBs next season. No one person can take that many hits and still play well.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #167
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfreek88 View Post
its a great problem to have....both QBs can win us games
THIS! And I'm absolutely giddy over this fact. Too long did we worry whether our starter was capable and then cringed if he got hurt b/c we knew we had nothing behind him. I am just going to sit back and enjoy the fact that we finally have two very capable QBs that can run our system, and that I don't have to worry as much any more. I am finally beginning to gain the same confidence in our football program that I've long had in our baseball program.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #168
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

I've been down on both of them lately, but the game yesterday certainly makes me optimistic going into the spring. Saw Connor step up and throw the ball more than he has at times and Dylan just continues to make plays when he's thrown in there. Excited for spring practice.

ProFootballFocus.com
JT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #169
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Yep, Nosovitch could win the job for all we know.

This season is over, ended with a bang (literally) and nothing is set in stone for next year. Let's just calm down with the "start DT" stuff because Spring practice will tell us a lot.
Anything is possible, but after watching Spurrier, I would highly doubt that Nosovitch or Mitch start over Shaw or Thompson. Spurrier obviously puts experience above raw ability, and he's loyal to a fault.

It's possible that Connor could be moved to another position, playing like Denard Robinson in more than one capacity. Thompson looks like the starter with Nosovitch as the backup and Shaw coming in when needed.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #170
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Quote:
look man, i know you love beavis and butthead, but please stop licking the frogs!!!! i am sooooooooooo glad ellington caught that ball, but lets face it, he looked like a guy receiving a punt. that was in no way an nfl pass. it was a floater, that we are lucky wasn't intercepted.
again, glad he completed it, especially with a guy coming after him, but stop making it out to be like this great throw. it wasn't. and shaw's pass to ace earlier was a much tougher and better pass.

now, that being said, i must say that dylan did show me more today than i've seen from him in the past. still pissed he took that sack, but he looked very good on most of his plays.

finally, for the poster who rebutted that dylan only had like seven plays, that actually makes my point for me. who did sos trust with this very important game, all game long? connor shaw!
You're okay with Connor actually dropping the ball, but you're mad about Dylan getting sacked? smh

Old 01-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #171
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
look man, i know you love beavis and butthead, but please stop licking the frogs!!!!
What does that have to do with anything? Grow up and stay on topic, this isn't Romper Room.

Quote:
i am sooooooooooo glad ellington caught that ball, but lets face it, he looked like a guy receiving a punt. that was in no way an nfl pass. it was a floater, that we are lucky wasn't intercepted.
I guess that you don't understand that with the hit Dylan was about to receive this was the pass that he could throw to get the ball to Bruce. Sure, there were three defenders in the area but none of them had a chance of catching that ball. I can see now why you are so enamored with 'tuck and run' and that you know nothing about football.

Quote:
finally, for the poster who rebutted that dylan only had like seven plays, that actually makes my point for me. who did sos trust with this very important game, all game long? connor shaw!
It was 12 plays I believe and in those 12 plays he both matched Connor's points total, actually finished the game, and threw the game winning touchdown pass. You can talk about Connor's running all that you want but he has proven all year, and again yesterday, that he can't take the punishment that comes with doing that. Not to mention the fact that Dylan showed what can happen when you don't have to rely on running instead of passing the ball.
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #172
KaneisAble
Bowl MVP

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:
i don't think it is possible for anyone to be more wrong than you are about everything you have written in the thread. seriously, i've taught first graders with better insight.
first, you should have stopped with the first four words of the quote, and left it at that.
second, before making such an ignorant statement about shaw running right into the arms of a dl or lb, you might want to check his rushing stats of over 100 yards, before the sacks are applied. and considering how poorly our ol played, you should give him even more credit.

third, again, you need to check the replays. he threw the ball for at least sixty yards in the air, and that ball was a perfect spiral. so what the hell are you talking about?

first, there is no such evidence. sos started and played shaw for the majority of the game. and regardless of the idiotic post earlier, sos has not said anything about shaw losing his starting position.
and for the record, saying you don't want to denigrate connor, all the while doing exactly that is not a clever play. if shaw didn't get the team down the field, thompson wouldn't have had the chance he did. shaw kept that drive alive several times, when it looked like it was dead. the ol almost lost us this game, and shaw made a lot of the plays to keep us in it.

i haven't softened my stance at all. i simply gave credit where credit was due. my so called tyrade was based on so many posters' overreaction to dylan's game against a pathetic clempscum defense. one had nothing to do with the other. i still feel that dylan's performance against cu wasn't enough to get the reaction it did by some on here. however, i do feel he played well today, and give him all the credit he earned.
but that doesn't change the fact that sos went with shaw for the start and the majority of the game. there is a reason for this. ya know?

what open competition? i have read everything i could find since the game, and have seen nothing about this. provide a link to where sos said this, or stop saying it. you're just trying to add an element to the debate that doesn't even exist.

and for the record, it's no magic trick to know what sos is thinking, as he says it in every interview or press conference. the best statement you and the other dylanites can hang your hats on, is where sos said that he didn't know how much playing time either qb would get in the bowl. but now that we did see it, i guess that kills that!
From the guy who started the thread about QB questions continuing. Care to specify what those "bad plays" Connor had were? I attempted to get specific about areas that need improving. You resort to name calling and references to TV shows from 20 years ago.

Keep slobbering over Shaw and dumping on DT for "taking 1 sack" and "throwing the game winning TD". You obviously have company in cofc and grip.
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #173
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post

Keep slobbering over Shaw and dumping on DT for "taking 1 sack" and "throwing the game winning TD". You obviously have company in cofc and grip.
You are putting words in my mouth because I think they are both excellent QBs and will be completely happy with whichever one Spurrier decides to start next year. So I am not sure how you get from that to saying that I am "slobbering" over Shaw and "dumping" on DT.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #174
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Both guys played like warriors.

Our depth at QB looks great next year.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #175
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I agree. As well as our RB depth also.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #176
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
But you are finding fault with a guy that was very close to being the MVP of the game, got a game ball from the head coach, and that same coach said that he played SUPER. You mentioned DL Moore above. We aren't talking about DL Moore. We are talking about a guy that completed 70% of his passes for 250+ yards with no turnovers and rushed for 100 (10 yard per carry average).

Just very clueless as to why you are picking right now, today, after that game to try and say that Connor has "obvious flaws" that cost us dearly in games.

Sorry if you can't see the confusion with that. I just think it is really poor timing and I don't see the point in it at all.

DJ Swearinger has "flaws" in his game. He missed a tackle today that cost us yardage because he was going for the big hit instead of trying to tackle the guy. He has done this on many occasions. His personal fouls also do cost us. Clowney, even though he is the best player in college football, has "flaws" in his game.

Just not sure what the point is in coming on a message board after a big win for our team when the team played its heart out and going out of my way to talk about it.

Connor got a game ball today for a reason. Not sure why you aren't talking about all of the positives instead of feeling it is your duty to point out everything he does wrong.

You are right though, you have a right to post whatever you want. I just don't understand it in the least. I don't get the purpose, I don't get anything about it.
Why do you not mention that Dylan got a game ball, too?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #177
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
You obviously have not been reading most of my posts. I think I have been VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY clear and then I think BOTH of them are excellent QBs and that I am happy with whichever one Spurrier starts. In fact, I have gone out of my way to make it clear that I think the best QB is whoever Spurrier says is the best QB and that I think they are both excellent QBs. So you might want to read my posts before you make assumptions about what I am trying to imply.

I didn't mention it in this post because I am defending Connor because I think he has been unfairly bashed. You say it is happening with DT.... I haven't seen it. If I saw people bashing DT, I would be defending him as well because they both deserve it.

But I have ABSOLUTELY mentioned that they BOTH got games balls in plenty of posts so far.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #178
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
Dylan is not the one receiving unfair criticisms, as CofC said, if he were, plenty of people would be defending him.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #179
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material

just throwing this out there... dylan was 7/10. he hit jones in the hands in the endzone and then the next play hit byrd on the helmet. both of them dropped it. if jones caught that first pass dylan would have been 8/9 for the game
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #180
COCKYTALKIN
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 24390296
COCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot materialCOCKYTALKIN is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
You obviously have not been reading most of my posts. I think I have been VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY clear and then I think BOTH of them are excellent QBs and that I am happy with whichever one Spurrier starts. In fact, I have gone out of my way to make it clear that I think the best QB is whoever Spurrier says is the best QB and that I think they are both excellent QBs. So you might want to read my posts before you make assumptions about what I am trying to imply.

I didn't mention it in this post because I am defending Connor because I think he has been unfairly bashed. You say it is happening with DT.... I haven't seen it. If I saw people bashing DT, I would be defending him as well because they both deserve it.

But I have ABSOLUTELY mentioned that they BOTH got games balls in plenty of posts so far.
You have been in all of these threads. I haven't seen you defend Dylan one time. It would take some selective reading not see any bashing his way. If you would like some help... try the OP, first thread.
COCKYTALKIN is offline   Reply With Quote