CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
ertman420
CoverTwo
Lalli25
MWard
SAETerrier
JerseyBird
HelleraisingCock
Victor Hampton Arres (1829)
What type of snake i (821)
response from charte (789)
how has more ESPN an (557)
Gamecock Legacy recr (374)
Attendance next seas (364)
purchasing football (257)
Honeymoon recommenda (201)
Dylan Thompson, Clas (139)
$15 home AC (134)
Diamond DeSheilds, UNC WB
Dylan Thompson, Class Act
how has more ESPN anounce
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 4
Larenz Bryant update?
*Official 2014 NHL Stanle
response from charter abo
Kelcy and Vic questioned
A'ja Wilson
Gamecock Legacy recruits/

Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Garnet Gamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material
Default One Argument is Now Ended

Like it or not, there has been quite a bit of arguing over which quarterback should start, etc. for quite some time...

One of the most common arguments has been "Dylan shouldn't start because 1) he was never highly recruited and 2) all of his success was against shoddy defenses."

Well, nothing can be done about #1 but #2 has now been addressed. Michigan has a very stout defense, to say the least.

I think both guys are capable of leading us to success (and perhaps equally sharing the burden, giving us changeup options at quarterback that could give opponents fits).

...and I also think Dylan has shown enough that only a hater would suggest he would be unsuccessful as a starter. He has made numerous throws while standing in the face of oncoming linemen and he has shown that he has a cannon for an arm. Those that criticized his accuracy were confusing non-starter jitters with his true ability to be accurate once he calms down.

I also think we have all noticed that Dylan gets loose when the pressure mounts. It's amazing to watch how he reacts when it's all on the line.

We are so blessed to have two guys that can lead us to victory under any circumstance.

Both are gifted and are tremendous. I think Coach will utilize both in a big way next year, realizing Dylan should start his senior year.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
kman
Walk On

Male

kman has hatched from the shell
Default Re: One Argument is Now Ended

I agree. I have often said that Thompson should start and then just use Shaw in situations where we need him to run or mix it up, but yesterday it worked out great. Although personally, I would have liked to see Thompson play just a little bit more.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

I like Thompson starting more....He stays in the pocket as long as possible to make a play. As Shaw will get gun-shy and run if he doesn't see anything. I like Thompson and if he could ever get time to throw ah man. Not to mention our receivers seem to get open for Thompson
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

I couldn't disagree more with the premise of this thread. If anything, what yesterday's game did was cause more questions. And I don't think Michigan's pass defense was all it was hyped up to be. Yes, I realize they were missing their best DB, but one guy wasn't the reason no other team had passed for more than 200 yards against them this year, but our QBs combined for 341, so I think the only thing that really came to light was the fact their pass defense was overrated. That's not to say our guys didn't play extremely well for the most part or that anything should be taken away from them, but look at more than JUST the production.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
GoFightWin
Walk On

Male

GoFightWin has feathers coming inGoFightWin has feathers coming inGoFightWin has feathers coming in

We need a legitimate running game before Thompson gets the start. He is a more polished passer but without a running game, Shaw gets the edge.

Still have no idea why Davis didn't get more carries this year.
GoFightWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

The first time Spurrier ever gave agame ball to 2 QB's in the same game. The good news is that we have at least 2 QB's capable of winning games for us. It also lets Spurrier run Shaw more without having the worry of him getting hurt and not having someone to step in without the offense losing a step. It's a win win situation.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

With his 70-yard pass to Nick Jones, Dylan Thompson has three completions of 50-plus yards on 121 passes this season. Connor Shaw only has five such passes in 430 career throws.

I like what Shaw brings to the table when healthy, but with Spurrier's love for the long ball, Dylan is quickly maneuvering his way into the starter's spot.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Shaw is definitely a Warrior, but I don't think we'll EVER see Dylan try to run on a 3rd and 24.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garnet Gamecock View Post
Like it or not, there has been quite a bit of arguing over which quarterback should start, etc. for quite some time...

One of the most common arguments has been "Dylan shouldn't start because 1) he was never highly recruited and 2) all of his success was against shoddy defenses."

Well, nothing can be done about #1 but #2 has now been addressed. Michigan has a very stout defense, to say the least.

I think both guys are capable of leading us to success (and perhaps equally sharing the burden, giving us changeup options at quarterback that could give opponents fits).

...and I also think Dylan has shown enough that only a hater would suggest he would be unsuccessful as a starter. He has made numerous throws while standing in the face of oncoming linemen and he has shown that he has a cannon for an arm. Those that criticized his accuracy were confusing non-starter jitters with his true ability to be accurate once he calms down.

I also think we have all noticed that Dylan gets loose when the pressure mounts. It's amazing to watch how he reacts when it's all on the line.

We are so blessed to have two guys that can lead us to victory under any circumstance.

Both are gifted and are tremendous. I think Coach will utilize both in a big way next year, realizing Dylan should start his senior year.
Couldn't agree more with MOST of this. I for one have been on Connors side for being the starter b/c he has earned it and has statistically played better againt both good and bad D's and Dylan hasn't proven he can do it against a good D YET...until yesterday. I think Michigan's D was better than what i thought and Dylan made some pretty throws and played really good. Do i think he should start over Connor yet...no...i think Connor has done far more and not done much to lose his starting job yet...but it's still great to know that if he gets hurt or if he has a bad game we have another capable guy to come in and get the job done

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous

Dylan needs to start and Connor can come in as a Change of pace guy to run that is also a legitimate threat to pass when he's in there.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Everyone always loves the backup. Connor still deserves to be the starter bc he has continued to take care of the ball, but DT has played incredibly well. It's a great problem to have when you have two very capable qbs that can make plays, plus we all know SOS loves the deep ball.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFightWin View Post
We need a legitimate running game before Thompson gets the start. He is a more polished passer but without a running game, Shaw gets the edge.

^^^This.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
TheUSCMike
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5000
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Shaw is definitely a Warrior, but I don't think we'll EVER see Dylan try to run on a 3rd and 24.

WE saw him do it on 3rd and 19

TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
TheUSCMike
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5000
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

My thoughts on these threads:

TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

As I said in another thread, I know I am really crazy for thinking this and all, but for some really strange reason I think that whoever Spurrier says should start should start.

I know that is such a far fetched concept and I feel crazy even typing it out, but I just have this crazy idea that I should trust the Coach Spurrier has a better idea about who should play than me.

I was so bothered by this concept that I even did one of those Pro Con lists where I put Spurrier on one side and myself on the other. For Spurrier, I had so many pros that I ran out of paper on that column. For me, I wrote down message board expert.

I am really glad I did that exercise though or I wouldn't have known.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 35685
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

We talked about this on the way out of the stadium.... really should be an interesting spring, then fall practice... Dillon has improved so freaking much from the Vandy game until now...

I have always been in favor of Connor starting.. but Dillon really has been impressive...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #17
JNGolf
#PlayInTheNow

Male

CockyCash: 12500000
JNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot material

Next year add Connor Mitch... I love our QB situation.
JNGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
JDStud6
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

It's going to be the exact same next year. Mitch will RS so we'll go between Shaw and Thompson all year...and I'm ok with that. It's working, and both have their strengths and weaknesses....so let it be.

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #19
Gamecocks4Life86
Recruit

Male

Gamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudlyGamecocks4Life86 is crowing loudly

A big reason y i like DT is bc hes patient and isnt afraid to get Hit like that last TD throw he made yesterday! Had that been Shaw i truly think he wouldve started running bc he has shown that as soon as he feels pressured he runs. Regardless, they are both great QBs and both have their strengths and weaknesses. im just glad i dont have to worry anymore if the starting QB goes down for an injury
Gamecocks4Life86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #20
ScottK
4-Star

Male

ScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervousScottK is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFightWin View Post

This is correct. Shaw was the only player who was able to run at all yesterday.
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote