CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetSwarm1990
kingofnerf
NinjaSven
Jim Lahey
Storm Of Spurs
roosterdude21
Gamecocks1137
Sandstorm29
MWard
robgusc76
Wilds & Carson B (2499)
Marquavius Lewis (2429)
So, why is next year (2283)
How Long Will The Re (1473)
Restaurant musts in (1074)
Why do so many of yo (1016)
Schuyler Rimmer 6'10 (820)
Shot in the arm for (809)
Custom Jersey (431)
5 Gourmet Foods That (290)
Why do so many of you guy
Frank Martin's Game has b
2015 Commitment - Dante S
How Long Will The Rebuild
2015 Signee - Sherrod Pit
Further clarification on
Marquavius Lewis
The Vent and Coaching cha
Previewing Clemson
2015 - Mark Fields

Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #41
Tailfeathers
Starter

CockyCash: 200
Tailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot materialTailfeathers is USC mascot material
Default Re: running game....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
im not saying the S&C coaches arent doing there job. I have however noticed we get so damn tired on the oline

A coach can teach the OL technique and a coach can build their strength, but making them relatively faster is a daunting task. The OL is slowwwwwww.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #42
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material

Outside of Mike Davis (who needs to be a better blocker in blitz protection) who will be our RB's next year?
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #43
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

5 RB plays is pathetic. Without a run game you get what happened yesterday...we ran about 30 less offensive plays than Michigan.

I'm not pretending to know the answer, but it seems like you find something you can do well and do it. It used to be the zone read until Connor got hurt, then the I which we seemed to have abandoned. We have a running game coordinator and this is what we get?
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #44
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
Outside of Mike Davis (who needs to be a better blocker in blitz protection) who will be our RB's next year?
Brandon Wilds, Shon Carson, and Kendric Salley.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #45
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMorrisonLives View Post
They're Freshmen, they probably still have to think about it and remind themselves what to do, instead of execute instinctively, they'll improve.
I'm sure that some of it but on at least two different occasions yesterday when Michigan had the DE stunt the C, RG and RT were all pushing the DT outside and let the DE come through a huge hole untouched. This shouldn't be happening in the 13th game and they all aren't freshmen.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #46
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

They aren't all freshmen, no, but 3 of them are 1st year starters. They'll get better.

I get frustrated when there is an assumption that our players won't get better. As if the first season or even first time we see them, that is how good they are going to be the rest of their careers.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #47
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
I just for the life of me cannot understand why we don't do this more often.
'cause it don't work. How many teams run well from under the center?
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #48
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
I'm sure that some of it but on at least two different occasions yesterday when Michigan had the DE stunt the C, RG and RT were all pushing the DT outside and let the DE come through a huge hole untouched. This shouldn't be happening in the 13th game and they all aren't freshmen.
This....they get confused...they double team a guy and let someone else blow by...happens way too often.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #49
GarnetArmy07
Legen...DARY

Male

CockyCash: 1101221
GarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot materialGarnetArmy07 is USC mascot material

I need to see the qb under center in the I. I think we do a better job in that formation.
GarnetArmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #50
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
They aren't all freshmen, no, but 3 of them are 1st year starters. They'll get better.

I get frustrated when there is an assumption that our players won't get better. As if the first season or even first time we see them, that is how good they are going to be the rest of their careers.
I don't think anyone said they can't improve. Everyone has the ability to improve but the question is will they? The trick isn't just improving strength, conditioning, technique or knowledge of the playbook but all four together and the key is having the right guys in every spot to help the young men achieve these goals. Game experience is a critical component for linemen but that doesn't ensure improvement or success. Much like every position on the team who knows if the light bulb will click for someone not even on the radar so it's always possible the guys we're seeing now aren't the guys we'll see at every spot next year even if they are freshmen and first year starters.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #51
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
I know we're a zone read team but we do occasionally run the I. Would like to see us work to get a pure FB on the roster who can bang open some holes every now and then.
"OLD MAN FOOTBALL!!"

They talked about the fullback position during last night's Orange Bowl, and with most high school offenses now running the Spread or Read Option, there simply aren't any "true" Fullback's coming up into the college ranks, thus the need to find a tough guy on the roster that may be buried on the depth chart, a tweener, or whatever, and convert him to the position. AKA, Qua Gilchrist for us this season.

Another point is that most NFL and college teams no longer use a Fullback in their O, which makes the point of intentionally being a Fullback growing up through youth football and high school rather futile.

It was cool to see Dimarco get a roster spot with KC as a fullback, but I'm not sure that will last very long.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #52
henmania
Game MVP

Male

henmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPithenmania rules the CockPit

Quote:

I think both Brandon Wilds and Mike Davis will surprise folks next year. They will take their games to the next level. I believe we have the talent on OL to be a very good SEC line. If we get shoved around on the line next year, we will have to question whether Elliott is as good as folks think. I am giving him a pass until next year. But we need to be better next year because it might be our best chance to win it all.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #53
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 997834
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

AS long as teams don't respect our pass game and line up to run blitz every play we are going to throw the ball. UM sold out to stop the run and it bit them in the ass.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #54
KaneisAble
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

KaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot materialKaneisAble is USC mascot material

Quote:

SIAP, but did Wilds play yesterday? I thought he was getting a medical waiver. Wilds is my sleeper for next season. A lot of people forget how fantastic he looked last year after Marcus went down. I think Wilds and Davis are going to do damage (I think Carson is going to give up FB entirely. I'm not basing this on any tangible knowledge and hope I'm wrong.)
KaneisAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #55
86 GradCock
7 Year Plan

Male

CockyCash: 1450
86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly86 GradCock is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
SIAP, but did Wilds play yesterday? I thought he was getting a medical waiver. Wilds is my sleeper for next season. A lot of people forget how fantastic he looked last year after Marcus went down. I think Wilds and Davis are going to do damage (I think Carson is going to give up FB entirely. I'm not basing this on any tangible knowledge and hope I'm wrong.)
The announcers did say Wilds name a couple of times on special teams plays and there was a 22 on kick off coverage. Does that mean he burned a redshirt year for a couple of special teams plays?
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #56
OfficeLinebackerCock
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1230
OfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPitOfficeLinebackerCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
im not saying the S&C coaches arent doing there job. I have however noticed we get so damn tired on the oline
LOL!!! Seriously!? For the last time, football is a damn strenuous sport, moreso than just about any other because of the physical exertion that is required on every down. People get winded and muscles get strained and "work tired" but it's just part of what happens to even the best trained human bodies when exposed to that kind of effort over time. If you know what "hitting the wall" is then you should know that well trained athletes will push through it and keep playing at a high level but you DO get winded from time to time depending on the speed of the game. More bodies and substitutions help with that but there is nothing wrong with our football team in terms of athleticism or being in shape. Our guys are in as good or better shape as any damn team we play. Seriously man, just as an example, get you a tractor tire (the rear one, not the little front one) and do just a couple of "tire flips"....if you can do even one, and that will give you just tiny inkling of what these guys do on just about every single play.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #57
4gamecockfb
Game MVP

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GradCock View Post
The announcers did say Wilds name a couple of times on special teams plays and there was a 22 on kick off coverage. Does that mean he burned a redshirt year for a couple of special teams plays?
i'm pretty sure that was kaiwan lewis
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:04 AM   #58
cocky2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 100796
cocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervouscocky2007 is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneisAble View Post
Wilds redshirted this year.
cocky2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #59
Travelin
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 522
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by henmania View Post
I think both Brandon Wilds and Mike Davis will surprise folks next year. They will take their games to the next level. I believe we have the talent on OL to be a very good SEC line. If we get shoved around on the line next year, we will have to question whether Elliott is as good as folks think. I am giving him a pass until next year. But we need to be better next year because it might be our best chance to win it all.
We had a great chance this year. We had the players and coaches, but came up short @ LSU and laid an egg @ UF. As you said, next year will be an even better opportunity with our returning players at skill positions, returning coaches and a jawja-esque type schedule. I think we will be by far the best team in the east, but we will need a strong running game to get to ATL and win there. No doubt in my mind that the OL is our biggest question mark heading into the spring. I am beginning to doubt if the zone read is our best option, though. With the personnel we have on the OL, that is.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #60
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

Quote:
Brandon Wilds, Shon Carson, and Kendric Salley.
Don't forget Williams

Of course, its a bit of a jump, isnt it? I mean, er chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You dont think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
cocknblue is offline   Reply With Quote