CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
U-Dub Gamecock
ConwayGamecock
thumpin big
Gamecocks1137
b381l
FanofCarolina1
JerseyBird
carolinacocky
CockyInTexas
kingoftheroost
Could Pharoh Run the (1157)
Mullen Pulls QB's Sc (1110)
Huge recruiting week (1003)
Big George Statue (720)
TV?? (699)
ESPN's Mike Golic ke (670)
Fly_over tomorrow? (471)
No Shave November (464)
Scholarship Lounge B (387)
Awful Shooting Conti (312)
How about this scenario
2014 Charleston Classic *
**USC vs. South Alabama G
Gamecock Men Have Been Fa
Awful Shooting Continues
TV??
Could Pharoh Run the O Li
River Bluff High School.
USC/South Alabama 11/22/2
Mullen Pulls QB's Scholar

Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #21
USCooper
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
USCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot material
Default Re: Allow Me To Play Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by onamission View Post
You could never draft him if he sat out. He would always be a me first guy. Whats next he asks to sit out nfl games when it doesnt benefit him. A team would draft him but they would always have to cave to this sort of demand. Horrible idea
This, I think if he sat out it would make teams think he only plays when it matters to him.
USCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #22
JNGolf
#PlayInTheNow

Male

CockyCash: 12500000
JNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot materialJNGolf is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by treys1986 View Post
Has ANY player EVER done this?
Maurice Clarett... not intentionally, but still
JNGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #23
Cobb864
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cobb864 has hatched from the shell

Dookie the don is going to smack every small minded child clean in the throat!

In other words, DIS CLOWNEYS YEAR BRUH!!
Cobb864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

players who take plays off get crucified, and you dont think abandoning your team would be a problem. theoretically i understand your point that he likely would still be the no.1 overall pick, but im glad he's not a pussycat, he's a gamecock
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #25
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNGolf View Post
Maurice Clarett... not intentionally, but still
And we all know how that turned out....

ďOf course, itís a bit of a jump, isnít it? I mean, erÖ chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You donít think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"
cocknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #26
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

This entire thread needs to die a quick death.

Better yet, send te OP's advice to Robert Nkemloogie. Since the Clemmers think he's better than Clowney, he can skip the next three years of college ball and get ready to be the #1 pick.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #27
GamecockInHell
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1022824
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

He can't win the Heisman if he sits out.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #28
roosterdave
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1234
roosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talonsroosterdave has developed his gaff and talons

Not to mention JD is one of our biggest recruiting tools right now. The more exposure he gets, the more exposure we get. He's helping the team in more ways than just tackles and sacks, and killing little man babies.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #29
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

I know everyone will probably hate me for this, but take out that one play and the story maybe different. Clowney and everyone else has admitted he was playing tired and gassed in the first half. If he hadn't made 'the hit' I doubt anyone would actually be talking about him the days afterwards.

When he flips a switch he's a monster, and even when he's not making tackles he's effecting plays, but (and this is the kind of scary part) I still think he has several areas he can improve on just by bettering his conditioning and learning to play the run better.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #30
SClawman
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
SClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot materialSClawman is USC mascot material

They said last night on Sportstalk that Lattimore said in an interview after the game that if Clowney was his son he was recommend he take off next season, get an agent and train. Thought that was an interesting comment.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #31
BigSteven34
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 35360615
BigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to BigSteven34

I don't usually say this...but can we close this thread? I think everyone agrees that this is just a little crazy...
BigSteven34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteven34 View Post
I don't usually say this...but can we close this thread? I think everyone agrees that this is just a little crazy...
I know it seems crazy, but the only reason is that it's never happened before (at least on purpose). Teams have said they would have drafted Clowney out of high school, it's really not a horrible idea for him. It is for Gamecocks, but even if he never sees the field next year he would still be a top 5 pick easily.

I hate it, but it does make a little sense too.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #33
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SClawman View Post
They said last night on Sportstalk that Lattimore said in an interview after the game that if Clowney was his son he was recommend he take off next season, get an agent and train. Thought that was an interesting comment.
Lattimore is also speaking from the perspective of someone who has had torn ligaments in both knees. If he had never gotten injured, I'm sure he'd have a different take. While I love Latti, his opinion is not the best for this situation.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #34
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I know it seems crazy, but the only reason is that it's never happened before (at least on purpose). Teams have said they would have drafted Clowney out of high school, it's really not a horrible idea for him. It is for Gamecocks, but even if he never sees the field next year he would still be a top 5 pick easily.

I hate it, but it does make a little sense too.
It doesn't make any sense at all. He is a football player...he plays football..that's what he does...he plays football..you know because he is a football player.
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #35
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
It doesn't make any sense at all. He is a football player...he plays football..that's what he does...he plays football..you know because he is a football player.
Exactly, football is his career, not a hobby. To take a year out, train with minimal risk of injury and a year to focus only on your personal growth, to start his lifetime goal makes a little sense. I'm not saying it's the best course but to discount it is a little flippant also.

I always like to relate this to other professions. If after two years of college you excelled enough for someone to say--you will go to a top law firm if you stay in college next year or not. Why not take a year to focus only on law and then start you career next year?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #36
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Exactly, football is his career, not a hobby. To take a year out, train with minimal risk of injury and a year to focus only on your personal growth, to start his lifetime goal makes a little sense. I'm not saying it's the best course but to discount it is a little flippant also.

I always like to relate this to other professions. If after two years of college you excelled enough for someone to say--you will go to a top law firm if you stay in college next year or not. Why not take a year to focus only on law and then start you career next year?
Because that is not the way football players are wired. He is great because he plays football...like every year and stuff
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #37
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
After yesterday, it would make more sense for Jadeveon Clowney to sit out a year and then declare for the draft in 2014. His draft status, after yesterday, cannot be improved upon so how would it behoove him to play his Junior season. The only way he can go now is down. DON"T GET ME WRONG, THIS NOT WHAT I WANT AT ALL!!! But the facts are the facts-Clowney's draft status cannot go any higher and IMO he puts too much on the line by playing his Junior season. He would be better off getting with one of these pro training outfits, take 2013 off and declare for the draft in 2014. Keep in mind, THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO HAPPEN, it just makes sense for Clowney IMO. If I were in his shoes, that is what I would do.
OK, I am not really trying to be mean but this is quite possibly the stupidest thing I have ever seen on this site & I have seen a lot of stupidity.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #38
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

JD got mad when Coach Spurrier and Whammy too him out several times in the bowl game. He is not sitting out of anything. He has work to do. Bigger, stronger and smarter will improve him. You need to play the game, not train.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #39
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Clarrett tried this at OSU. Thought he was the greatest thing to play the game. Dropped out and challenege the NFL rule. Lost it, and then flopped.

I think Clowney is ready for the league, but there's just things in games you can't mimic in a weight room. He didn't have great success against Lewan, so that shows he has more work cut out for him on the field. When he looks like he did in HS at Carolina ... then he has nothing else to prove.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #40
MeesterFriendly
I'll be with you shortly

Male

CockyCash: 392030
MeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot materialMeesterFriendly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Clarrett tried this at OSU. Thought he was the greatest thing to play the game. Dropped out and challenege the NFL rule. Lost it, and then flopped.

I think Clowney is ready for the league, but there's just things in games you can't mimic in a weight room. He didn't have great success against Lewan, so that shows he has more work cut out for him on the field. When he looks like he did in HS at Carolina ... then he has nothing else to prove.
To be fair, I think he did OK against Lewan, it was the double teams that got him. Also, was it just me or is Lewan one of the dirtiest Offensive linemen we have seen. Grabbing Facemasks, Grabbing hair, holding, horse collaring etc....