CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
NAGamecockFan
taylorssc
Gamecocks321
GarnetSwarm1990
doubledribble
Lonnie
Cocks N Stuff
El Cid Ranger
Master Bedroom
So Disappointed With (1829)
Rank the QBs under S (1358)
Back like cooked cra (963)
Tennessee game (651)
Who start on the d l (613)
Google finally gets (471)
No Comments on the H (456)
lack of production= (377)
Squats (337)
NFL: CHARGERS @ BRON (160)
Why I think we beat Aubur
Rank the QBs under Spurri
7 on 7 flag football bloc
SEC Debate: Best candidat
So Disappointed With The
Thoughts on the basketbal
Back like cooked crack
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
If the Head Ball Coach re

Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Advice for a truck purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra742002 View Post
I will not buy a Nissan.

I just got out of my Tundra, and am seriously considering getting another. I loved my truck, and it looked great, ran great, quiet, and VERY smooth. Everyone who rode in it, said it was the best riding truck they've ever been in.
I've only ever personally driven Nissans. The Tundra wasn't mine, I've just used it some.

Nissan has yet to let me down. My little 11 year old Sentra is still going strong with very little mechanical work ever done to it outside of the body work done after an accident.

davidmc467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

I just think the inside of the Titan is hideous....

ra742002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #23
gamerocks
5.1 Star

Male

gamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPitgamerocks rules the CockPit

My .02 cents.

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram I bought new, it has well over 100K miles and I have never had any issues with it whatsoever. I did the normal maintenance on it and it runs super smooth and it is a 4x4 quad cab.

I am actually looking for a new truck myself and will be purchasing one in the next year and with the way this truck ran with all I did to it I am 99% sure I am getting a 2013 Ram.

The 2013 Ram is also Motor Trend Truck of the Year and with the increased fuel mileage and the Ram Box it is pretty darn sweet. It also now has air suspension and a lot of other options that make it very hard to beat.

Should definitely at least give it a look.
gamerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

ra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot materialra742002 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerocks View Post
My .02 cents.

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram I bought new, it has well over 100K miles and I have never had any issues with it whatsoever. I did the normal maintenance on it and it runs super smooth and it is a 4x4 quad cab.

I am actually looking for a new truck myself and will be purchasing one in the next year and with the way this truck ran with all I did to it I am 99% sure I am getting a 2013 Ram.

The 2013 Ram is also Motor Trend Truck of the Year and with the increased fuel mileage and the Ram Box it is pretty darn sweet. It also now has air suspension and a lot of other options that make it very hard to beat.

Should definitely at least give it a look.
I appreciate the input! I like the looks of the new Ram, very sleek and stylish. Very comfy ride and plenty of room. Power is not a concern, as it has the same 5.7 that my Tundra had. My wife is the hard sell on the Ram. The 12's had some electrical issues, that I've been reading about, but, Chrysler has been known for electrical issues for YEARS, as I had an 01 Jeep Cherokee that my mom passed down to me. The radiator fan motor had some electrical short in it that no one could find or figure out, so it's sitting in my parents' front yard....I drove an 11 Ram Laramie and LOVED it. it was priced right and looks great...the wife on the other hand, hates em.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
5150harley
Sandlapper Pools

Male

5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material5150harley is USC mascot material

I have a chevy Duramax diesel. If you are not going to pull anything heavy you will not need the diesel. Excellent engines and transmissions but a lot of truck.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #26
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

If you go the diesel route, Cummins all the way. I'm a Ford guy, but you can't kill a Cummins, and I love that. Diesel can be a bitch in short routes, but if you get in a lot of stop-and-go traffic, and plan on doing any towing in the future, it'll be your best friend. Diesel's can be troublesome WHEN they need work, but if you take care of it and keep up with maintenance, it'll last damn near forever.

If you want the gas route, either the new F-150 or 250 is great. That 6.2L (if you're a V8 guy) is stout. If you want the EcoBoost route on the 150, it's a very respectable 365 horse, so it's not far from the 6.2, and it's better on fuel.

My 2 cents

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
lance_uppercut
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1450
lance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talonslance_uppercut has developed his gaff and talons

My .02 Cents. Used to own a Ford Lightning (I know, its not a "real truck") and sold it a few years back when premium was 5 bucks a gallon for Honda Civic. While the Civic was great for getting me to and from work, just didn't feel right in it, and drove my wifes Tahoe whenever we were going around town.

I just bought a Dodge Ram Quad cab, Hemi powered with the Big Horn package. It has amazing ride, interior is amazing (I agree, the Chevy's have a lot lacking in the interior) and the power is top of the line (the sound is also amazing, even better when I switch out the muffler). As for the poster above me that was saying the RamBox was a selling point...DO NOT GET IT. While the idea of the Rambox is "cool", All it really does is steal a VERY LARGE portion of your bed space.

Get the rambox, you can store a whole bunch of mess in the sides of the bed, but you won't be able to put a 4-wheeler, jetski, couch, etc in the bed.
lance_uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #28
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

A Tundra might be your best bet. I'd rather buy a Toyota over a GM or Ford any day. They are more reliable - or at least everybody that I know that owns a Toyota has been very happy with their purchase and have had their cars for years.
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #29
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22107959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

toyota

i have a ford, good truck, eats batteries, stiff ride, four wheel drive makes a wack wack wack noise, haz never been stuck in the mud
Old 01-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #30
4gamecockfb
Starter

Male

4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons4gamecockfb has developed his gaff and talons

go American
4gamecockfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #31
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gamecockfb View Post
go American
Lol, my uncle was bragging about having bought an American car in the ninetys, pissed him off when I showed him the assembled in Mexico sticker on the inside of his wife's new ford, it's not that simple anymore, there's a kia or hyundai pland in alabama, a Honda (granted its Honda ATvs and not cars) and BMW plant in SC. both of which ate traditionally considered "imports"

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #32
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22107959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

i think tundra is assembled in Indiana/Texas
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #33
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Everyone talking about the interior of chevy butisnt their entire interior being redone. Inthe the 2013 maybe it is the 14 model
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #34
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

their whole Silverado is being redone in 14, inside and out. Looks like they combined some of the stylings from the Colorado and the older Silverado, and took some inspiration from Tundra and Ford.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #35
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1705674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Everyone talking about the interior of chevy butisnt their entire interior being redone. Inthe the 2013 maybe it is the 14 model
Yeah, the 2014 gm truck interior (especially) the dash layout, looks suspiciously like the current ford dash

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #36
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

I agree. Just called State Farm to get my settlement, and they are now saying they're not totaling my Tundra. They valued it at $26k, and said damage so far estimated less than $8k. I'm leary of this, as I could clearly see the rear axle and drive shaft were busted and broken...

Old 01-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #37
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
I agree. Just called State Farm to get my settlement, and they are now saying they're not totaling my Tundra. They valued it at $26k, and said damage so far estimated less than $8k. I'm leary of this, as I could clearly see the rear axle and drive shaft were busted and broken...
Do you have an appraisal provision. I had this on my el camino. It allowed me to get an outside appraisal. Were you there at the visual exam. You are entitled to be there to point on things that "accidently overlook". What kind of rental coverage do u have? Get the most expensive rental car covered because rental fees also count to the total loss. Edmunds has a thing on their site called true value appraiser ( i think). Dispute the value. However rear axles and drive shaft arent structural. If the frame isnt bent 26k is gonna be hard to get to. Several years ago my best friend wrecked a truck while in west va. Truck was 2 years old and third wreck, second major, in six months and they put a whole new frame, both rear quarter panels, bith rear doors, front pass door and front driver fender, front fascia. He played ping pong off guard rails on both side of the mountain. they had his truck for four months. Couldnt believe it wasnt totald. His rental coverage only lasted a week. Kept it from total losd
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #38
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Do you have an appraisal provision. I had this on my el camino. It allowed me to get an outside appraisal. Were you there at the visual exam. You are entitled to be there to point on things that "accidently overlook". What kind of rental coverage do u have? Get the most expensive rental car covered because rental fees also count to the total loss. Edmunds has a thing on their site called true value appraiser ( i think). Dispute the value. However rear axles and drive shaft arent structural. If the frame isnt bent 26k is gonna be hard to get to. Several years ago my best friend wrecked a truck while in west va. Truck was 2 years old and third wreck, second major, in six months and they put a whole new frame, both rear quarter panels, bith rear doors, front pass door and front driver fender, front fascia. He played ping pong off guard rails on both side of the mountain. they had his truck for four months. Couldnt believe it wasnt totald. His rental coverage only lasted a week. Kept it from total losd
I wasn't driving the truck. It was parked and someone else is at fault. We are dealing with everything through the other party's insurance. We got a nice rental, 13 Explorer all the bells and whistles, but it aint my truck! You know? I wasn't at the appraisal because it happened in Union, and I live in Summerville, impossible. They are towing the truck down here to get checked out by a certified Toyota Collision center and I will be there when that one takes place. I don't really need to dispute the value, as they got it pretty spot on as far as the truck's worth. We were hoping to get out of it around what they initially quoted, now they are going back, saying it isn't totaled. I am just ready to get this over with. Get MY truck back or get a new one.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #39
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

Quote:
I wasn't driving the truck. It was parked and someone else is at fault. We are dealing with everything through the other party's insurance. We got a nice rental, 13 Explorer all the bells and whistles, but it aint my truck! You know? I wasn't at the appraisal because it happened in Union, and I live in Summerville, impossible. They are towing the truck down here to get checked out by a certified Toyota Collision center and I will be there when that one takes place. I don't really need to dispute the value, as they got it pretty spot on as far as the truck's worth. We were hoping to get out of it around what they initially quoted, now they are going back, saying it isn't totaled. I am just ready to get this over with. Get MY truck back or get a new one.
I feel you my truck is 98. And i dont want a different one. Have replaced tranny and motor and should have replaced the truck at some point. But it was more economical at those points to fix since it was paid off. At least that is what i told my wife but man i just wanted my truck
Old 01-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #40
ra742002
Game MVP

Male

So, I talked with State Farm again yesterday. They are really dropping the ball. Towed it down here to a dealer in North Charleston. The lady from State Farm told me they would have to put it on a lift to inspect the underside of the truck and get an estimate for that. The guy who did it, said they still haven't put it on a lift, and he is still only estimating at $8k. He stated that they wouldn't put it on a lift until they were ready to start the work. Then he gives me the great news. They're going to use used parts to fix my truck. I told him no way. So it looks like we're in for a fight. My truck was bought in February 10, brand new. It only had 32,000 miles on it. Super clean, as I take very good, meticulous care of my vehicles. So, there's no way I'm letting them use used parts for my truck. They have to restore to OEM, and they could use parts as far back as 07 for that truck. He said he would email me a list of things, and estimated cost, but he hasn't done that yet. So we're going down today to look at the truck and see what they're going to decide. I hate insurance companies with a passion!