CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
El Cid Ranger
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Gamecockswag
TAFC 5 1981
cockybreeyan
Freshman ND WR " (717)
Call of Duty: Advanc (495)
Good Riddance to bad (410)
Keeping tailgate foo (295)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (260)
An A to Z of Noah We (177)
The Comeback & T (146)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (70)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (68)
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MI (67)
Instrumental Music (Pre g
Texas athletic director:
Why I think we beat Aubur
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Bashing Players, coaches,
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
SEC Debate: Best candidat
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Rest of the season predic

Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #21
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material
Default Re: Swearinger vs Clowney

I think there are two, important factors to consider when comparing the two hits: 1) which was more impactful on the game, and 2) the respective sizes of the players involved with each play. Once these two factors have been added to the equation, I believe the two hits are far too dissimilar to compare.

Swearinger's hit on Ellington didn't directly affect the outcome of the game, although it was definitely a statement to Clemson about which team was tougher and more ready to dish out some punishment. As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, Swearinger is listed as 6'0", 210 lbs., and Ellington at 5'10", 195 lbs.

Clowney's hit on Smith absolutely played a big role in the outcome of the game, because it changed possession of the ball in excellent field position. Clowney is listed as 6'6", 256, but Ward said Clowney was actually about 273 on game day. Smith is listed as 5'6", 175 lbs.

In terms of which hit was more impactful on the game, I don't think there should even be a real debate about it, so Clowney's hit gets the nod easily. But when you consider that Clowney is a foot taller and right at 100 lbs. heavier than Smith, it's not quite as hard to, um, "redirect" the momentum of the running back, especially since Clowney got in the backfield so fast Smith didn't have a chance to build up much momentum, but since Swearinger isn't much bigger than Andre Ellington and Ellington was already going at full speed, but Swearinger was able to stop Ellington in his tracks and redirect him with a violent twist, I believe Swearinger's hit was the more impressive hit, by far.

In my opinion, these two plays should be considered completely separate and not be compared to one another, because one changed the scope of the game completely and was more meaningful, but the other sent a message to the other team and was much more difficult to pull off given the physics.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #22
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

We probably don't win without Clowney's. We still win if the tackle on Ellington is not a big hit.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
bigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his combbigduff32 is developing his comb

I loved the swearinger hit! But.... Due to the fact that a Michigan football helmet is still flying around earths atmosphere, I have to go with clowney