CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > iCocky

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ReadR00ster
WeStill0wnUSC
Talon1
NineInchSpurs
18IsTheMan
catdaddy66
henmania
roosterdude21
GamecockUltimate
Coulwoodwarlord
Tired of night games (2126)
Luginbill says ECU s (1879)
Well, as it turns ou (1480)
Next years RB situat (1453)
Coach Elliott pregam (1373)
What the heck is up (1354)
Been a pleasure talk (1083)
So, Vanderbilt is ne (914)
ECU fan here (792)
Verne lundquist (741)
Davis dinged up again?
Rabbit package?
Well, as it turns out, we
Shon Carson
Vandy, Missouri, Kentucky
ECU fan here
Luginbill says ECU should
Freaky Coincidence or Div
Quarles is a Colt!
What the heck is up with

Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly
Default LCD vs LED TV

I am looking to upgrade my SD tv that I have in my bedroom. I've had this tv for 20 years and it still going strong, but I am ready for an HD upgrade for the bedroom.

I have a 47 inch LCD in the living room that I have been pleased with. I am looking for something in the 32 inch range for the bedroom. The LED tvs are usually a little more expensive but not by much. What is the benefit of going LED over LCD?
usc_yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material
Default Re: LCD vs LED TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_yogi View Post
I am looking to upgrade my SD tv that I have in my bedroom. I've had this tv for 20 years and it still going strong, but I am ready for an HD upgrade for the bedroom.

I have a 47 inch LCD in the living room that I have been pleased with. I am looking for something in the 32 inch range for the bedroom. The LED tvs are usually a little more expensive but not by much. What is the benefit of going LED over LCD?

I have both and can not really tell much of a difference. For the bedroom, I would just go and see which looks better in the store in the size that you want. I have been leaning more towards LED's lately...I am about to buy a 46-52 inch for our living room in the next few months so I will be back in the tv market. Good luck!
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
uscbrasco
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 510
uscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spurs

Only difference between the 2 are how they are lit, which affect the thickness. Technology wise they are effectively equivolent. Not exactly the same but more or less the same.
uscbrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
d20636
Haven't seen your acid...

Male

CockyCash: 1360
d20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot materiald20636 is USC mascot material

Just my $0.02 - I'm no expert and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

The diff between the two is the back lighting - both have LCD screens, but the "LCD" tv has a CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent light) backlight rather than LED backlighting. (Some LED tv's have "edge lighting".)

LED is brighter, and if it's back lit rather than edge lit, the black is more, well, "black". LED edge lighting produces the super-slim tv's, but there are fewer led areas to turn on/off so the contrast isn't as sharp.

I believe the LCD screen outlasts plasma screens (regardless of back lighting). The plasma's best advantage (IMHO) is the viewing angles - plasma has very wide angles - you don't need to be directly in front of the TV to see it...

I have an LCD (CCFL) in my family room and LED in the bedroom - and like the LED better, but it's also higher res (1080p vs. 720p), so that may be the diff...
Old 01-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

Aren't led tvs more energy efficient Idk if it's by a lot or a little
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
eightohhthree
Did you get ahold of 'em?

Male

eightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot materialeightohhthree is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to eightohhthree

IMO there shouldnt be that much of a difference for your replacement bedroom TV. Both will be a huge improvement over what you've got now. I would just go with whatever is least expensive.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

usc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudlyusc_yogi is crowing loudly

Thanks for the input. I have a couple of gift cards to Wally World so I will have to choose from their selection of 32 inch screens. I was looking at the Vizio LCD and LED tvs. My wife noticed a differrence in the brightness in the two, but I told her the brightness might be turned up more on one than the other.

The thickness of the tv shouldn't be a problem since my SDTV with its big back protruding fits on my dresser. The TV is located at the foot of my bed, so viewing angles aren't a problem.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

LED TV is a type of LCD TV.

Just the back-lighting is different. Otherwise they are the same. Supposedly they are a little better. But go see for yourself.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

I was looking for a new bedroom TV as well a few months back. I got a good cyber Monday deal on this for $369. It is a tad more than that now but still a good buy. http://store.vizio.com/via-hdtvs/m320sl.html

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
G&B
ferk it

Male

CockyCash: 520
G&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot materialG&B is USC mascot material

Spur's is correct. LED is the backlighting used in an LCD screen. They are almost all LED now...they were florescent backlights in the past. LED is more dependable (life) and crisper due to the intensity.

LCD have a matte screen, plasma have a gloss screen. Plasma still give a better picture for the $$ but you have to factor in your room lighting and windows...plasmas get a lot of reflection.

I just bought a 55" LCD when my older 42" went into the shop. I had it repaired for 250 and will put it in another room in the house.

The 55" looks great, I have it connected with a high end HDMI cable and it looks almost 3d.

I got the insignia (best buy brand) and it cost me $699 right after christmas.

Also factor the resolution and scan rate. 1080p is better than the 760p and 120hz scan rate is better than the 60hz rate.

you can get 760p/60hz tvs for a couple hundred less but you will see the quality difference.

plasma has a much higher scan rate of up to 600hz, part of the better quality equation.

hope that helps....

"Relativity is relative" - V. Smith
G&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I recommend going to store and buying the tv with the picture you like the best.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1200000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B View Post
Spur's is correct. LED is the backlighting used in an LCD screen. They are almost all LED now...they were florescent backlights in the past. LED is more dependable (life) and crisper due to the intensity.

LCD have a matte screen, plasma have a gloss screen. Plasma still give a better picture for the $$ but you have to factor in your room lighting and windows...plasmas get a lot of reflection.

I just bought a 55" LCD when my older 42" went into the shop. I had it repaired for 250 and will put it in another room in the house.

The 55" looks great, I have it connected with a high end HDMI cable and it looks almost 3d.

I got the insignia (best buy brand) and it cost me $699 right after christmas.

Also factor the resolution and scan rate. 1080p is better than the 760p and 120hz scan rate is better than the 60hz rate.

you can get 760p/60hz tvs for a couple hundred less but you will see the quality difference.

plasma has a much higher scan rate of up to 600hz, part of the better quality equation.

hope that helps....
You mean 720p? Also the 60hz vs 120hz is the refresh rate not the scan rate. You really will not tell much difference if at all between a 60hz and a 120hz just watching regular television. You will notice a slight difference when you watch stuff with allot of action like sports but it really isn't that big of a deal.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
LED TV is a type of LCD TV.

Just the back-lighting is different. Otherwise they are the same. Supposedly they are a little better. But go see for yourself.
The backlight is worth it my opinion. I just got a 39" insignia LED at Best Buy 1080p, 120 hz refresh rate for $369 and I think it's pretty dope. I had bough a couple of "Sceptre" Tvs before that, and the picture seemed a little off because it didn't have much if any backlighting.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
usc_yogi
Blue Chip

Male

Is there really any need for a 1080p tv over a 720p tv for my bedroom. I'm not going to be watching blu rays in there just Netflix and HD tv channels?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
CCtiger91
One of a Kind

Male

CockyCash: 107880
CCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot material

Can't really go wrong with either, but the LCD will save you some cash if you're looking to save some money. I have a Samsung 46" LCD and Samsung 32" LED and there isn't much of a difference at all. Both are great IMO.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Is there really any need for a 1080p tv over a 720p tv for my bedroom. I'm not going to be watching blu rays in there just Netflix and HD tv channels?
Well really there isn't even a need to buy an HDTV if your old SDTV still works. Now that we've moved past that it's about whether or not you WANT 1080p in your bedroom over 720p. If you look at them in the store and can't tell enough of a difference to care don't spend the extra money. If it was me I would get 1080p, but that's because I'm somewhat of a tech snob.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCtiger91 View Post
Can't really go wrong with either, but the LCD will save you some cash if you're looking to save some money. I have a Samsung 46" LCD and Samsung 32" LED and there isn't much of a difference at all. Both are great IMO.
IMO Samsung is the only brand you should be looking at if you're buying LCD/LED.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #18
uscbrasco
4-Star

Male

uscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spursuscbrasco has earned his spurs

Quote:
I have heard/read that the human eye cannot tell the difference between the 720 and 1080. Dont know if its true, just something to consider.

Also need to take into account what your cable actually provides. Most cable providers are only pushing 720 into your house, so the 1080 is wasted.
uscbrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
CCtiger91
One of a Kind

Male

CockyCash: 107880
CCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot materialCCtiger91 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
IMO Samsung is the only brand you should be looking at if you're buying LCD/LED.
I'll back that up 100%
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #20
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
Samsung is not cheap though also Sharp, Panasonic, and Sony are also great brands if you are willing to spend the dough. If you are playing games you want 120 hz refresh rate and 1080p. If you are only are looking for 32 inch or less you don't really need 1080p or LED.