CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TAFC 5 1981
ZenUSC
Nemo_the_gamecock
TheUSCMike
taylorssc
JDJones
GamecockInHell
Master Bedroom
cockybreeyan
gocockswyn
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4519)
Bowl projections (1684)
Why has there been 4 (910)
Odell Becham Catch (891)
A little late to the (760)
No excuse for the D (760)
Good Omen for Saturd (573)
Texas A&M Defens (471)
Spurrier Dabo Meme (405)
SC Women #1 in AP Po (343)
Rebutting Dabo's Rant
2015 Commitment - Marquav
Bowl projections
Good Omen for Saturday?
No excuse for the D this
Why has there been 40 yea
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
2015 Commitment - Christi
USC/clemson spread
2014 Charleston Classic *

Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #61
me4USC
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material
Default Re: Move Shaw to WR for senior season

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
did you not watch the bowl game? jones had a 70 yard reception and byrd had a 56 yard td reception.

i dont disagree with the concept that he would still know the offense and be able to be in the right position, but its a huge stretch to compare him to kenny mckinley. or that he would get open vs man coverage nearly as good as our 4 short wr's.

shoot if he can be that good of a wr, why not suggest redshirting him.
I have no idea if you're right or not, but I completely agree that the majority of the posters have no concept of thinking outside of the box. I also chuckle every time I read that Shaw is 17-3. Spurrier himself gave Thompson credit for UAB, though that's not the way the stats read. I heard him slip up and say it in an interview. I also think he would give Thompson credit for the Outback Bowl. We would have lost that game without Thompson. Yeah, I'm a Thompson fan, but I'm not blind. He went in with just over twenty seconds on the clock and scored the winning TD with 11 seconds left. Without that, we would have lost. He also scored his previous TD in that game in three snaps (I think). It looked easy. Do you honestly think the game would have been that close at the end had Thompson played two full quarters instead of about 5 minutes?

I think Shaw is a wonderful qb, and I'm taking anything away from him, however, trumpeting that stat is just BS.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #62
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
You didn't ask me, but I'll respond anyway. If Thompson were to earn the starting job, then I definitely would want Shaw waiting in the wings in the event of an inury instead of someone who hasn't seen the field at the position. And if he were to devote the offseason to developing skills at the WR position, there's little doubt he would be unable to retain all the knowledge necessary to play QB.
Ellington starts playing basketball again after 2 days of practice

Clowney has averaged practicing only about 2 days per week due to his foot injury

DeAngelo Smith has practiced at WR for 3 years and hasn't played much at all

Everything is relative to the player. Shaw knows the playbook inside and out, which is why it isn't a big deal he is missing so much practice from his surgery.

I think the practice aspect would be a non-issue
Gamecock History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #63
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholelottacock View Post

6. It would put more play makers on the field at one time: Thompson, Shaw, Sanders, and Ellington.
[B]Way to insult all of our receivers and tight ends in one fail swoop. If any one of our receiving corps is reading this please don't take this post as the sentiment of the fan base. People that know anything about football know exactly why your not producing and it starts with the O line.[/b]
It has as much to do with the fact that Shaw is completely incapable of throwing a receiver open as it does with the O-line...maybe more. If he doesn't see them wide open, they don't get the ball.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #64
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

The problem is people can't admit when they're wrong. Some can, and happily move along with their lives having been enlightened. Some are proven incorrect with facts and statistics, and instead of saying "Oh, hey, I never thought of it that way... " or "Oops, maybe you're right, I see your reasoning now" they get extremely defensive, and start projecting and attacking others instead of opening their mind to accept another point of view. Sure, you thought outside the box, Gamecock History, but then you stayed there. You've locked down your one thought, and wont look at it any other way, even when valid points have been made multiple times. Ironically, you are now stuck inside "the box" by refusing to think inside of "the box" AND outside of it.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #65
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
I would want shaw competing, practicing, watching film, and backing up Thompson as a QB. Shaw would never see the field as a WR in CFB. And no one is saying Shaw will be an NFL QB, because he wont. Shaw will never be a WR in the NFL either. Its the same as Tim Tebow, everyone says Tebow is not an NFL QB and he needs to change positions, but everyone knows there is no way for Tebow to learn a position he has never played/hasn't played for while and compete on the NFL level.
Simply not true.

Corey Jenkins played 3 games at linebacker in college and then went on to play a few years in the NFL as a linebacker. Tebow could easily switch to fullback or TE just like Colin Klein will be drafted as a TE rather than a QB.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #66
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
I have no idea if you're right or not, but I completely agree that the majority of the posters have no concept of thinking outside of the box. I also chuckle every time I read that Shaw is 17-3. Spurrier himself gave Thompson credit for UAB, though that's not the way the stats read. I heard him slip up and say it in an interview. I also think he would give Thompson credit for the Outback Bowl. We would have lost that game without Thompson. Yeah, I'm a Thompson fan, but I'm not blind. He went in with just over twenty seconds on the clock and scored the winning TD with 11 seconds left. Without that, we would have lost. He also scored his previous TD in that game in three snaps (I think). It looked easy. Do you honestly think the game would have been that close at the end had Thompson played two full quarters instead of about 5 minutes?

I think Shaw is a wonderful qb, and I'm taking anything away from him, however, trumpeting that stat is just BS.
Do you honestly think Thompson could have broke that tackle in the backfield to extend the play and gain a first down to even give Thompson the opportunity he had in the last 11 seconds to win the game, haha. Shaw 18/26 224 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Ints, 10 rush att, 96 rush yards.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #67
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock History View Post
Simply not true.

Corey Jenkins played 3 games at linebacker in college and then went on to play a few years in the NFL as a linebacker. Tebow could easily switch to fullback or TE just like Colin Klein will be drafted as a TE rather than a QB.
Sorry but the NFL has changed since 2003. If you are to blind to see that then Im sorry. Tebow could play FB/TE, but no one is going to take that risk. NFL is a bussiness. NFL teams would rather draft/pick up a FB for cheap and bring in someone that is proven rather than "think outside the box" and potentially fail by playing Tebow at FB/TE. IF Shaw wants to continue his FB career after college at either QB/WR then he will be in the CFL. Also LB is a much different position than the QB/WR/TE in terms of athleticism.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #68
GTjacketcock
Hell of an Engineer

Male

GTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPit

Just kidding, but I would strongly disagree with this position change of a proven winner. How quickly people forget that it was Shaw, not Thompson, that threw that DIME to Ace in the only spot he could have placed it on the second to last touchdown. We have two very capable quarterbacks, which is a good problem to have since most teams wish they could just have one (trust me, I was a GT fan when Reggie Ball was there).

My sign from Gameday at the Horseshoe
GTjacketcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #69
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yet you have a pic of our "back up QB" in your signature
I have Dylan in my sig because its the Clemson game and it was one if the best performances in USC history. Still doesn't change the fact that Connor is 17-3 and still needs to be the starter. It's his job to lose and he hasn't lost it.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #70
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
The problem is people can't admit when they're wrong. Some can, and happily move along with their lives having been enlightened. Some are proven incorrect with facts and statistics, and instead of saying "Oh, hey, I never thought of it that way... " or "Oops, maybe you're right, I see your reasoning now" they get extremely defensive, and start projecting and attacking others instead of opening their mind to accept another point of view. Sure, you thought outside the box, Gamecock History, but then you stayed there. You've locked down your one thought, and wont look at it any other way, even when valid points have been made multiple times. Ironically, you are now stuck inside "the box" by refusing to think inside of "the box" AND outside of it.

Sorry, but there hasn't anything said or presented in this thread that has been "enlightening".
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #71
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sorry, but there hasn't anything said or presented in this thread that has been "enlightening".
Thats because you insist on comparing apples to oranges, and that has made you closed off to all other arguments.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #72
Dizzy01
Game MVP

Male

Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
Do you honestly think Thompson could have broke that tackle in the backfield to extend the play and gain a first down to even give Thompson the opportunity he had in the last 11 seconds to win the game, haha. Shaw 18/26 224 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Ints, 10 rush att, 96 rush yards.
Don't you know that if Thompson had played the whole game that play would have never happened. Either the the team would have been up 40 bagillion to nothing or the player wouldn't have come free to the backfield becuase the team develops super powers when Thompson is in the game.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #73
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Simply...no.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #74
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

I think another big "misunderstanding" in this thread is that most people
are viewing this from the vantage of "Shaw In The NFL" ... Shaw MIGHT
make it to the NFL, but there's a lot more likelyhood that he won't. I
also think Shaw and his family understand that the odds of him becoming
an NFL player are not that great.

Connor Shaw / Dylan Thompson and these kinds of guys are a unique
breed that has (unfortunately) fallen by the wayside. These guys take
the STUDENT part of student/athlete as serious as they do the sport they
play. They are also the kinds of young men who will be successful at
whatever they do after college, whether it be on a football field or in the
job field. Shaw is the kind of guy who will not end up on the unemployment
stat sheet, and desperate through life if he doesn't play football at the
pro level. If some team decides to give him a shot at it, or if he pursues
it on his own for a while if he doesn't get drafted, then he has the
athleticism to give it a good shot at playing in the NFL.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #75
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
Don't you know that if Thompson had played the whole game that play would have never happened. Either the the team would have been up 40 bagillion to nothing or the player wouldn't have come free to the backfield becuase the team develops super powers when Thompson is in the game.
Haha yeah why didnt I think "outside of the box" and come to that conclusion. We need to tell Spurrier this immediately.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #76
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

Quote:
So you haven't taken a single thing away from the other arguments? You haven't taken one statement, and said "Okay, yes, I understand how you can see it that way."? Every bit of reasoning from a point of view that differs from yours has been completely incorrect?
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #77
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
No.
Instead, have two capable QBs we can interchange.
We finally have QB depth and you want to blow it up.
This, plus Connor wants to COACH, not play in the NFL so much.

He's been prepping his whole life to be a coach.

If HBC wants him to run a few routes, so be it.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #78
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

I am a huge fan of Connor Shaw.

I'm also a huge fan of Dylan Thompson.

That is possible folks.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #79
AmonRa777
Recruit

Male

AmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his combAmonRa777 is developing his comb

Hopefully we can all appreciate having two really good QBs without choosing to undermine one to favor the other...They are both very capable of leading our team to the SEC championship next season...

They have different skill sets....Shaw is a very athletic mobile QB with a good arm...Sometimes he seems to prefer running for 4-7 yds to passing to an open tight end for 15 yds...But he keeps drives alive, works the clock and executes in the red zone.....Thompson is a true pocket passer with adequate mobility...He reads thru his progressions and spins it downfield with impressive accuracy...But he sometimes holds the ball a little long...

Thrilled to have them both...Great for our program...
AmonRa777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #80
Cocky2001
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 320
Cocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot materialCocky2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
I am a huge fan of Connor Shaw.

I'm also a huge fan of Dylan Thompson.

That is possible folks.
So...what you are saying is that you are bi-quarterback?

(sorry, no disrespect intended, that was my first (albeit smart(butt)) thought, it made me laugh so I thought I'd share...at least it is not any dumber than most of the posts in this thread.)
to come true." Bodhi.
Cocky2001 is offline   Reply With Quote