CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CoverTwo
Acockolypse Now
WeStillOwnUSC
auslander
sporkgod50
gamecockgal
TAFC 5 1981
GarnetSwarm1990
2000grad
garnet_black215
PSU drops a prospect (1922)
Mizzou WR suspended (960)
John Abraham DUI (706)
Re-Airing South Caro (655)
Best Offensive " (641)
Rokevious Watkins cu (555)
Clemson, Auburn home (442)
Blake McClain (393)
Fall Camp. (344)
What ever happened t (324)
College Football Playoff:
An Aggies View of the Mat
Green and Lammons
PSU drops a prospect beca
Clemson Recruiting...how
2015 - Zack Bailey
2015 - Nathan Gilliam
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Mizzou WR suspended for s
What ever happened to Phi

Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #61
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit
Default Re: Yeah, he can't catch

I won't deny that our fanbase is histrionic, but Byrd gets more discussion than any other player besides the QB.

I'm glad he's progressing and caught a few long balls, but he had 14 catches this year. I just think we should keep it in perspective. I don't understand why everyone is so obsessed about him becoming a great player, I hope he develops but I'm not going to be shocked if not either.

As one of my friends says: he's a huge star on Cockytalk and maybe catches a pass per game.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #62
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

It is because of the speed. All football fans are secretly channeling Al Davis and lusting after the usane bolt - jerry rice hybrid.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #63
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamcock View Post
Byrd has very good hands. That ball was underthrown, and he was fighting a defender to get it. Byrd made some circus catches in the spring, his hands are not the problem. I think he starts thinking while the ball is in the air, and just needs more reps and confidence. The one that hit him in the head, and the one to Jones were balls where both receivers were looking right into the sun. Byrd will be a very good receiver before he graduates.
This is true.

Byrd had ONE bad drop this year and that was Tennessee. I don't get where people are getting the assumption that his hands are bad.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #64
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Yes...he is getting better.
He just needs to continue working on consistency.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #65
Emery
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000
Emery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPitEmery rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
This is true.

Byrd had ONE bad drop this year and that was Tennessee. I don't get where people are getting the assumption that his hands are bad.
The problem is when you average one catch per game, a drop every 3 or 4 games will stand out a lot.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #66
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

He had a TD doink him right in the face in the bowl game, no? That will happen when you get in the habit of trapping the ball with your body.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #67
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
He had a TD doink him right in the face in the bowl game, no? That will happen when you get in the habit of trapping the ball with your body.
I see what you're saying, and I agree, but this whole catching with hands vs body thing is puzzling to me. We've all always learned that a player is supposed to catch the ball with his hands, but I remember seeing Dante Hall (when he was at the peak of his popularity because of his kick returns) talk with a guy who was supposed to be the NFL Europe version of him. It showed the other guy fielding a punt that was immediately dropped. Hall started ragging the guy by saying, "The first problem is you tried to catch the ball with your hands." And if you watch most punt/kick returners, they catch the ball using their bodies too. Since the long balls that Byrd is usually going after aren't extremely dissimilar from punts, which way should he be trying to catch it if it's close to his body? Notice I specified if the pass is close to his body, not away from it.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #68
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
This is true.

Just like Jared Cook...once people decide to hate on someone, they are determined to not change.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #69
johnmcclane
my wife is awesome

Male

CockyCash: 100500
johnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot materialjohnmcclane is USC mascot material

haven't read the entire thread... but it seems like he should've come down with the one Dylan facemasked him with.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #70
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

His lack of productivity had more to do with our QB and OL issues than with his hands. He's not the guy that's going to get you 5 tough yards over the middle, nor is he the guy that can make three people miss on a screen.

He's the guy that stretches the defense and gets behind them.

Although those types of receivers don't get the amount of catches that possession receivers do, they're just as important to the offense.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #71
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockholio View Post
It was a little under-thrown, but in the right zip code and Byrd did what he was supposed to do. Go get his damn ball!
not trying to pick at you holio, but, "in the right zip code"???? really? first, he threw it from the 36 yardline of the carolina side. second, he was side shuffling at the time. third, the ball hit byrd in stride, so i don't get the zip code comment. lastly, that ball is NOT under thrown. an under thrown ball makes the receiver stop and wait on it. byrd, only slows a little bit, and leaps into the air to grab it.
fractured scapula, fractured foot and high ankle sprain, and he threw it that far... and you're looking for a reason to criticize it?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #72
shaka11
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 848
shaka11 is learning to peckshaka11 is learning to peck

Not trying to start anything. But i dont see anyone ragging about nick jones letting the ball go through his hands in the endzone (albeit tough over the head sideline) during the bowl game (and he had a few bad drops throughout the season). Byrd's drop in the endzone was tough with him having to hop up and make a play over the db (it did hit him in the hands though). On another note, byrd has some hops. I think he's a higher leaper than ellington.

Also, it shows how extremely talented ace sanders is as well.

Passes in the endzone are much more difficult to come down with bc not only do u have to catch the ball but u have to worry about sideline and the back of the endzone.

All in all, as discouraging as some drops may be, i love our short quick athletic recievers. I'd honestly rather have a group of threatening recievers than just one go to guy. And im glad byrd is one of those threats.

shaka11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #73
scfanz
Starter

Male

scfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPitscfanz rules the CockPit

What a pretty play. I can't watch it enough.
scfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #74
1SCFanInPAUntilNow
Franchise Playa

Male

CockyCash: 9980800
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material1SCFanInPAUntilNow is USC mascot material

Quote:
This is true.

I think it may be the wide open TD he had last year that he dropped. Since it was the first real moment of his career people just assume that he cant catch.
1SCFanInPAUntilNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #75
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

RphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervousRphBallCoach is making other chickens nervous

I remember when Bullet Bob Hayes first played with the cowboys he didnt have the best of hands but man the speed made up for the drops and it also opened up the short game.
RphBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote