CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kevhugh
AtlGAMECOCK
cockybreeyan
cockyguitar
soccerguy79
No Curse
BlakelyH19
usc90grad
Yearofthegamecock
rolinb1
**USC vs. Texas A&am (37664)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Spurticus has some e (1534)
Work Today Efficient (1388)
Here is the trophy f (1339)
Players reaction to (1328)
mike Davis compariso (1234)
Early dismissal for (930)
Spurticus has some e (834)
Toughest stadium in (784)
Okay, Clint will be the f
**USC vs. Texas A&M G
A&M vent thread
Jimmies and Joes
I'm not looking forward t
QB Kenny Hill named start
Lorenzo Ward's Play calli
We do not hit in practice
Sec network announcers
Just a friendly PSA

Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #101
Kazak
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
Kazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPitKazak rules the CockPit
Default Re: Move Shaw to WR for senior season

I completely disagree with the idea of moving Shaw to WR next season.

That said, I do agree that he will most likely be moved to WR in the NFL. If he runs a 4.5 forty at the combine, some team will be willing to develop him as a receiver, like many athletic QBs before him.

I believe the initial poster is right about Shaw's NFL potential at that position (I've posted about this before myself). Given two or three years of NFL development, I think Shaw could become a fantastic slot receiver at the next level. (A bigger Wes Welker type, with the same kind of work ethic, toughness, and intangibles.)
Kazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #102
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
That's something I hadn't thought of. I would never want him to have more than 2 or 3 percent of his snaps on the offensive side of the ball, but if he were to get a few carries here and there (provided they were pretty successful runs) and have a repeat of the year he just had on defense, I think he would win almost every vote for the Heisman.
Goal line offense when it comes to that time let him run it in run up the total number of TD's.... BOOM heisman.
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #103
MarkfromLA
Walk On

Male

MarkfromLA has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
That's something I hadn't thought of. I would never want him to have more than 2 or 3 percent of his snaps on the offensive side of the ball, but if he were to get a few carries here and there (provided they were pretty successful runs) and have a repeat of the year he just had on defense, I think he would win almost every vote for the Heisman.
Goal line package or short yardage situations..Clowney at Fullback
MarkfromLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #104
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

CockyCash: 200
Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock History View Post
Shaw could very well be better than any of the three you mentioned. What have they shown so far?
Well Roland showed that even being very talented and playing the position full time doesn't mean a WR will have success immediately. If anything, Roland's struggles hurt your point my friend. Anyway, Jeffery was a RS freshman this season who I'm not sure ever got playing time, and Fuller was a true freshman who redshirted, so I'm not exactly sure what your point is in sort of calling them out.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #105
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Shaw could very well be better than any of the three you mentioned. What have they shown so far?
He could be a better linebacker than Bryant or he could be a better head coach then Ward or he could be a better QB than Mitch oh wait he is the starting QB and has shown he can win at QB so nevermind you are right he should stay at QB since he has shown that!
Just so you know Shaq showed he was good enough to get on the field his freshmen season, so the HBC saw something. Fuller redshirted, maybe we should let Shamir try out at QB since he played QB in high school and has shown you nothing at WR.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #106
JRob
Retired Rugger

Male

CockyCash: 100500
JRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot materialJRob is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to JRob Send a message via Yahoo to JRob

Quote:
So it was absurd for Michigan to move Robinson to WR and/or RB?
Under the circumstances, no it wasn't.
Robinson could no longer throw the ball due to nerve damage in his throwing arm. If this was the case with Shaw I would agree with you.

JRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #107
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

Roland showed he needed a redshirt.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #108
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
Wow, we have a player that is 17-3 as a starter and just finished the season ranked 9th in the COUNTRY in passing efficiency and you want to change his position? All I can say is wow.

Dylan may end up being the starter next year. Spurrier will get that decision and they both have proven they deserve a shot. But last time I checked, you need more than one person at each position.
This!! For the win!!!
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #109
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4USC View Post
Do you feel better after that verbal vomit? You appear to be psychotic and certainly far too emotionally invested in this.

You are also putting words in my mouth. I don't curse or swear, so please don't attribute those remarks to me.

I have maintained throughout the discussion that we have two starting caliber quarterbacks. That is not Connor bashing. I'm merely pointing out that inflating his stats is getting a little old.

Take Thompson totally out of the equation. If Strickland or Clifford had replaced Thompson in the UAB game and the Outback Bowl, would we have still won?
Actually what he said made a lot of good points. Saying he is psychotic or too emotionally invested is an attempt to poison the well after he brought up those points, and if the cursing or swearing you refer to is the word hell then all he has to do is take the quotes away, that is the message you are giving off to many people. Your exact quote was:

Quote:
. Yeah, I'm a Thompson fan, but I'm not blind. He went in with just over twenty seconds on the clock and scored the winning TD with 11 seconds left. Without that, we would have lost. He also scored his previous TD in that game in three snaps (I think). It looked easy. Do you honestly think the game would have been that close at the end had Thompson played two full quarters instead of about 5 minutes?

1. I don't think we would have lost if Connor had continued to play, I am most certainly not sure of it.
2. If Dylan had played the whole game I still think it would be close.

Connor and Dylan played great games, both helped us win, that should be end of story.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #110
SCohioBoy
Game MVP

Male

SCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPitSCohioBoy rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Michigan's offense improved when they moved their senior QB to WR and RB. Just sayin. I'm not saying Shaw should be one of our starting WR's, but we could have some interesting packages with both Thompson and Shaw in at the same time. Similar to what Michigan ran against us in the bowl game. This is basically what the OP is saying, so I don't understand all of the outrage and people treating the OP like he's a complete idiot. Actually I do, that's just what happens on Cockytalk when someone proposes something out of the norm. I'm catchin' what you're pitchin, Gamecock History. I doubt it happens, but it's an intriguing concept atleast.

I stopped reading after this. Michigan' O got better because the Offense is built for a QB like Gardner, not Robinson. Robinson should never have been the QB in the O that Hoke wants to run.

Shaw on the other hand is built to run the O that SOS runs
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #111
Gamecocks321
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Gamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot materialGamecocks321 is USC mascot material

My God, you guys are overreacting to such a simple suggestion. Calm the hell down.
Gamecocks321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #112
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudly

FYI, today on the Herd show Spurrier was gushing about Thompson saying he could be an NFL QB.
Gamecock History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #113
5lbYardcock
Blue Chip

Male

5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly5lbYardcock is crowing loudly

Someone heard from someone else that he was moving to LB since we need a few there.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #114
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material

Are we on drugs?
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #115
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Not in agreement with any move but if there was a move to be made, RB would be the option but no dice there cause we are loaded. We just have to hope he improves his decision making and progressing through his reads. Two QB system can work for us next year, even better than this year. And we need Ace to not go pro. Shaw, Dylan and Ace starting clicking with one another towards the end of the season and that can improve as well.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #116
DiamondGamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 600
DiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spursDiamondGamecock has earned his spurs

This is about as bad as the "sit Clowney in 2013" thread.
DiamondGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #117
gamecockguy
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1300
gamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talonsgamecockguy has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatBamaTwice View Post
Are we on drugs?
Safe assumption.

Glad most people recognize this idea as being terrible
Attached Images

gamecockguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #118
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofcgamecock9 View Post
I honestly can't believe the crap you post. SC was leading 21-6 when Dylan came in during the UAB game. Are you honestly saying that SC would have lost that game if Connor had kept playing? You really believe that Connor would have lost to UAB if had had played the whole game? One of the worst teams in college football? So unless you think that somehow Connor would have lost a 21-6 lead against one of the worst teams in football, then his "record" remains the same whether we won the game by 20 points or 40 points. So just for the fun of it, I will give you the Michigan game. So now Connor is 16-3 as as starter instead of 17-3. Whats your point?

You "chuckle" every time you see Connor is "17-3?' Why do you chuckle? Does it make you feel better or something? That is such a sad statement for a SC fan to make about one if it's players. It totally disrespects the accomplishments of someone that is out there busting their ass so that you can do nothing but watch for entertainment.

You really have a problem don't you. You accuse me of bashing Dylan, yet you can't show one post where I have said anything negative about him at all, then you act like there is no way in hell that our Connor could have won the game against Michigan. Connor had just gotten SC into a 1st and 10 and had gone 6 for 6 on the last two drives including one of the best throws you will ever see to Ace for a TD.

If you think DT should be the starter that is AWESOME!!!!! I would be happy as hell for him to be the starter because that would mean Spurrier sees that he can be a great QB.

But you need to quit bringing down Connor to get your point across. Sure, you have a "right" to do it, but what is your point? You say you "like" Connor. Well then why in the world do you feel the need to make sure everyone knows that you think he would lose all of these games for us if he got to play? For a guy you "like," you certainly go out of you way to make sure everyone knows that you think he would have lost the Michigan game even though he had busted his ass just to get Dylan into the position he was in to make that great throw. Why do that? Even if you think it, why do you feel the need to post it? Couldn't you just say "Dylan made an amazing throw and he is an amazing QB and I am so glad he is going to get a chance to prove himself in the spring and fall?" Why in the world would you feel the need to say "well Connor would have sure as hell lost the game for us" when Connor is a guy out there busting his ass and sure as hell did a pretty good job of getting us in the position to score in the first place.

You really are amazing. You want to try and "take a start" away from a guy that where his team was leading 21-6 when he was injured and give it to the other guy, yet you want to absolutely just create stats out of mid air when for Dylan.

Dylan deserves every bit of praise you are giving him (except for the made up stats). He played amazing in the Outback bowl and played very well against Clemson. I am sure he got game balls for both of them and Spurrier will give him a good look next year. He deserves it. He is one of the best Gamecocks you will ever see.

But you have got to stop with trying to take accomplishments away from Connor. He deserves those wins that he got because he busted his ass for them. He busted his ass in the UAB game in the first half and had the team up 21-6. It may not have been his best game. But to try and say that Connor doesn't deserve the "win" for that game as a starter when there is no chance in hell SC would have lost to UAB even if we had put Kenny Miles in at QB is just ridiculous and sad.

We know that you want everyone to know that you think Dylan is a better QB for the team. That is great that you think that and it is great that Spurrier will let them duel it out in the spring. Personally, I think Dylan has a great chance of winning the job.

But think about all of the things you are saying about Connor to prove that point... Do you really think he deserves that??

Your screen name is me4usc! Well for that screen name, you sure do go out of your way to criticize a guy that actually plays for USC and busts his ass for that same University.
just wanted to point that out.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #119
cofcgamecock9
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 100500
cofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot materialcofcgamecock9 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandstorm2001 View Post
just wanted to point that out.
I am not gifted when it comes to creative description.
cofcgamecock9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #120
boness
4-Star

Male

boness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming inboness has feathers coming in

I wouldn't want him switched unless the position is secured by Thompson and his options are switch or watch. even then he shouldn't be forced.

what i would like to see is the same thing i noted i like to see after DT threw so well early in the season.... a package that has both lined up behind center, pistol depth, with opposing D not knowing who will take the snap until after the count starts and tus unable to adjust personel.

CS likely could snap off a few routes and certainly can threaten as a runner. the key would be if DT could be sufficiently effective as a reciever to actually threaten the D with CS at QB and DT something other than an extra part.. If not then the D would simply default personel choosing to DT at QB and CS at another position.
if thompson can justify the opposing D respecting him as a threat to catch the ball even on a very short simple route, he is big, strong and runs hard. Then the opposition would be in quite a pickle trying to guess who takes snap and how best to defend significantly differing strenths and aproaches.
lastly one thing on who is choosen for next yr that i haven't heard acknowleded in conversations. CS is at his current level after two preseasons, about one and a half regular season games in total between 11 and 12 and two post seasons of recieving the first team reps.
DT has reached his current level with a grand total of two FULL weeks of first team reps (week two and the CU week) dedicated to him. That is a significant indicator of upside. JMHO wvp
boness is online now   Reply With Quote